weekly WyX's 2013 Photo52

Nice unkempt wild space there.

I love the curve of the water droplets, I had trouble capturing motion blur and freezing the subject with my coin spinning. I ended up using the on-camera flash in 2nd curtain mode, which did a good job - maybe try that?

The pink colours in your second season shot are beautifully subtle, great composition too. Maybe take a little bit of the foreground out?

The apple is a nice capture, I struggled with the hotspots created by the waxiness, but you have done well, the DOF and bite focus is great :)

I did use 2nd certain, I think my problem was lack of ambient light to light it during the fall. You can kind of see a bit of white line above the Apple.

I'm not a fan of changing a photo's aspect ratio, but indeed there is too much messy foreground in that photo. I'll remember this and frame my shot better in the future. (y)

Yes, Wild is very nice; lots of interest taking the eye around the frame. Minor comment: the dark areas (hedges, ivy etc) seem to have blocked a bit; can you get anything back in the shadow recovery slider?

Thanks, I thought the shadows were distracting, was hoping to have them like that to hide the details.

But does this look better?
10panut.jpg

Liking the landscape for Wild - great use of "portrait" orientation, and love the lead in line created by the tree - oh, and no branches chopped off the tree at the rear (y)

Yep... like that too, the snow is a good colour, liking the crop and the angles created by all the logs :)

Hi, quick comments, I'm afraid: Wild, nice detail, WB and well spotted lead in lines.

Cheers.

It's a (y) from me.

Thanks all. Landscape is what I do most, whereas wildlife isn't. So this was kind of like chose my subject carefully to stay in my comfort zone.

Hi Wuyan

Sin - apple is well caught, good texture and colour

Season - I like the snow shot - the pov is good. Backgound doesn't add to the shot and I would have been tempted to crop it out altogether and see what the snow and grass shoots looked like

Gravity - splash in a glass is very well done - good freeze of action and light

Wild - like the portrait comp very much and the lead in line from the fallen trunk distinguishes the shot from the ordinary. As to the 2 choices, I feel that the first is touch dark and the second a touch light - how's that for conflicting advice?:D But i am sure that a a happy mediun exixts - and in any event my monitor may not show the same as yours.

Hi Wuyan

Sin - apple is well caught, good texture and colour

Season - I like the snow shot - the pov is good. Backgound doesn't add to the shot and I would have been tempted to crop it out altogether and see what the snow and grass shoots looked like

Gravity - splash in a glass is very well done - good freeze of action and light

Wild - like the portrait comp very much and the lead in line from the fallen trunk distinguishes the shot from the ordinary. As to the 2 choices, I feel that the first is touch dark and the second a touch light - how's that for conflicting advice?:D But i am sure that a a happy mediun exixts - and in any event my monitor may not show the same as yours.

Thanks, indeed a happy media does exit, but it also got me thinking, what if it's completely silhouette?

And it's a :clap: from me! :D

Hi ya

1st version of your Wild shot hits the spot for me.....great POV , lovely white whites & a hint of blue....sure looks wild & unkempt to me :)

thanks, appropriate the comments:)

This should be what my garden looks like, except there would be less space cause id have a ton of animals :LOL:

Not so keen on the oof sheep in the front of the image but prob not alot you could do about it.

Hmmm. Cropping the FG sheep and the upper tree improve it for me.

Sometimes, as has been said before, life gets in the way (y)

Cheers.

That's one of the nice things about Whipsnade - the animals do seem to get a fair bit of space to roam in. Interesting use of portrait orientation here - which works well.

Passable :LOL:

This should be what my garden looks like, except there would be less space cause id have a ton of animals :LOL:

Not so keen on the oof sheep in the front of the image but prob not alot you could do about it.

Hmmm. Cropping the FG sheep and the upper tree improve it for me.

Sometimes, as has been said before, life gets in the way (y)

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback. As they say, if a photo got to be explained, it's not a good photo.

My intention was to show the distance between the sheep in the front and the llama, with the tree as framing device on top of the frame. Looks like that didn't work. :shake:

That's one of the nice things about Whipsnade - the animals do seem to get a fair bit of space to roam in. Interesting use of portrait orientation here - which works well.

Passable :LOL:

I am now quite careful and will tightly crop if needed after the week 2 snow shot with bad background. This photo was originally shot in landscape but I thought there wasn't anything interesting to the side. Main subject is the space between the sheep and llama.

Would have preferred to do a star trail or star shot, but didn't get any time to go out and do it over this week. :shake:

Hi Wuyan

I understood what you were trying to achieve with the 2 llamas and i think it a good idea (y) which just needed more attention. For me I would rather have the front llama in focus and the rear one just oof. Then I would crop just under the bottom bar of the fence.

Perfect use of and explanation for the portrait mode

Tough one this one, as others have said I think the sheep in focus and llama slightly out of focus may have worked better, but hey you're in for the week, and as someone else commented sometimes life just gets in the way! :)

Yes I'd agree with the focus points being the other way round. Plenty of space, though!

Nice shot!
I think the focus points being against the norm (out of focus at the front) is a different approach, so fair play to you for trying something new!

I would switch the focus and it's usually better not to crop legs off. Good use of vertical framing. Remember the rules (are there any rules?) are flexible, so the pictures don't have to be taken within the 7 days, you can also add a better one later, my understanding is it's about taking pictures to suit the theme, the times aren't so important.

Hi Wuyan

I understood what you were trying to achieve with the 2 llamas and i think it a good idea (y) which just needed more attention. For me I would rather have the front llama in focus and the rear one just oof. Then I would crop just under the bottom bar of the fence.

Perfect use of and explanation for the portrait mode

Yes I'd agree with the focus points being the other way round. Plenty of space, though!

Nice shot!
I think the focus points being against the norm (out of focus at the front) is a different approach, so fair play to you for trying something new!

I would switch the focus and it's usually better not to crop legs off. Good use of vertical framing. Remember the rules (are there any rules?) are flexible, so the pictures don't have to be taken within the 7 days, you can also add a better one later, my understanding is it's about taking pictures to suit the theme, the times aren't so important.

Many thanks for taking your time to comment. It seems generally people prefer to have the object in front to be in focus. That makes sense, will try to stick to this in the future. (y)

Week 6 WORK

This week, I was out of ideas, so just went for a very basic approach.

8469622526_cfb2eafd76_c.jpg

52 - 6 - Work by wuyanxu, on Flickr

If that one wasn't to your taste, how about just the pen? It was the pen that stuck with me for the last 10 years, got me through GCSE all the way to university.

8468529603_e1e2ea5afd_c.jpg

52 - 6 - Work pen by wuyanxu, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

#2 for me, first has too little DOF, and I'd like the spiral to be either in, or out.

Just the pen is beautifully clear, detail retained in the highlights, and detail in the white BG, is it cloth?

#1 for me, I think maybe losing the spiral top and straightening the image to match the lines of the paper.

Sometimes we just have few creative ideas, but the basic images work out to be the strongest ones (y)

Hi ya

Space....think all has been siad but I do kinda like it...can see what you were goin for with the space between the llama & the sheep but I'd crop the oof sheep out..still plenty of space around the llama :)

Work..I prefer the Pen shot...simple, effective & Parker pens mean work to me....:)

Thanks all for the feedback.

Hi

Prefer #1 . a bit blue/grey and would like to see the paper a bit whiter. Like the subject and the composition and the pov but may be improved by having part of the nib in focus. Good job

Hi Wuyan,

I think number one is the best also and agree with what Alan has pointed out! Other than that 2 good shots.

Thanks both, I didn't even realise that, perhaps my WB was out! Assumed using flash through light tent with flash WB won't need adjusting.

#2 for me, first has too little DOF, and I'd like the spiral to be either in, or out.

Just the pen is beautifully clear, detail retained in the highlights, and detail in the white BG, is it cloth?

Composition mistake, will watch out for that in the future. thanks. It was a nylon cloth, came with my light tent.

#1 for me, I think maybe losing the spiral top and straightening the image to match the lines of the paper.

Sometimes we just have few creative ideas, but the basic images work out to be the strongest ones (y)

haha, another spiral top issue. In or out, that is the question.

Hi, Work #1 fir me. It's on theme but, IMO, not too inspired, I
IYSWIM. I like th processing, though.

Cheers.

Thanks for the comment, it wasn't an inspiring week, mainly because I had a few other things on my plate. This week's one won't be very inspiring either, unfortunately. But I will keep at it and finish. :)

Hi ya

Space....think all has been siad but I do kinda like it...can see what you were goin for with the space between the llama & the sheep but I'd crop the oof sheep out..still plenty of space around the llama :)

Work..I prefer the Pen shot...simple, effective & Parker pens mean work to me....:)

thanks, only good pen I have :bonk:

Week 7 - Gluttony

Stuck with this one because I don't really cook much, so takeaway boxes come to rescue. :D Stacking them was the hardest part. :bonk:

52 - 7 - Gluttony by wuyanxu, on Flickr

Took and uploaded this beginning of the week, just kept forgetting to post it up on the forum.

On theme & nice DOF (y)

liking this one, spot on theme. Narrow DOF working really well here - even lets you get away with the background which I presume is your kitchen tiles?

Nice detail on all the crinkly corners - and well done getting them stacked so all the corners are in the same focal plane (y) And nothing clipped (y)

I want a chinese now, lol.

Re the image, I think I would prefer more in focus, especially near the top.

Last week's Time is getting posted very soon. :)

This week's jextuposition is puzzling, but I have an idea, will do my best not being late again.

On theme & nice DOF (y)

Thanks!

liking this one, spot on theme. Narrow DOF working really well here - even lets you get away with the background which I presume is your kitchen tiles?

Nice detail on all the crinkly corners - and well done getting them stacked so all the corners are in the same focal plane (y) And nothing clipped (y)

Indeed, didn't want to get my light tent dirty, so decided to just use shallow DoF to try to throw the kitchen tiles completely out of focus.

Nice simple shot and on theme!
Only real crit would potentially be to clone out the crumb on the right?! ;)

Thanks. Am I missing anything? I can't see any crumb?
EDIT: Now I see it! well spotted!

Simple and on theme.

Like the construction, the pov and focus/dof. good lighting too.

Thanks!

Yeah, nice simple idea here and I like the lighting.

Cheers.

Thanks, lighting was just the spot light from kitchen lighting. Unfortunately I couldn't fix the half dark half lit background. Lucky it wasn't noticed :D

I want a chinese now, lol.

Re the image, I think I would prefer more in focus, especially near the top.

lol, thanks. I think I've tried a more focused shot, but the kitchen tiles would be in-focus, the result is slightly too distracting.

Hi ya

neat idea & well set up...nicely lit with no real blown bits & is making me want a chinese right now :D

haha, thanks.

Last edited:
Great colours coming through there - nice strong black and crisp white.

Must have had tired eye's when I looked last night as nothing looked in focus, I think a very slightly greater DOF might have helped here, but it's all there and works well.

Great colours coming through there - nice strong black and crisp white.

Must have had tired eye's when I looked last night as nothing looked in focus, I think a very slightly greater DOF might have helped here, but it's all there and works well.
I tried to only get the "Back to the future" title in focus, perhaps it was too much?

Nice sharp photo with lovely colours. Slightly loose on the theme maybe, but they're great films so will let you off! ;) Nice one!

I rellay like the use of bright colours and sharpness with a narrow dof. Takes it a step above. I really like this, even though it is pushing time a bit, but that is the point!

Back