Yashica 44 - A Tiny Little Camera

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm really intrigued by these little 127 TLR's and I think I want one, I mean who wouldn't want a TLR so small you can fit it in your ear...or pocket (I suppose that makes more sense). I've been looking into 127 film and there seems to be some confusion over whether it is in production/about to go into production/dead as a-line flares with pockets in the knees.

Can any of you worthy F&C'ers shed any light on the availability of 127 film?

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Steve, mmm a bit on the steep side for something that would be for a bit of a laugh, plus spooling it would definitely involve a lot of swearing and the distinct possibilty of me wasting many feet of the stuff.

Yes, I did see this during my search and it is an interesting idea but again my propensity for knackering up anything even slightly technical makes me very wary of taking it on. It's definitely an option and our fave £1 film would make a suitable donor for an experiment....I shall give it some thought during my upcoming trip to bonnie Scotland.

If APS film and processing is still available a dinky Canon Ixus might scratch that itch without the hassle of shredding normal sized film...

This person might be worth checking with if you really really want 127 film:

http://www.retrophotosupplies.com/shop.php?category=127+Film&shopid=02111201

I'd ask Ilford if they ever did short runs of 127. They have their experimental lab so it's not impossible.

Last edited:
Only problem with the respooling option is getting the spools and the backing paper. Provided you can get suitable backing paper, actually attaching the film to the backing paper securely , and acuratly can be a nightmare. I had to do something similar back in the eighties, but with 120 film. Seemed to take forever, plus you have to keep figure prints off. Fortunately for me it was only an experiment: Major Fail(n)
(n)

If APS film and processing is still available a dinky Canon Ixus might scratch that itch without the hassle of shredding normal sized film...

This person might be worth checking with if you really really want 127 film:

http://www.retrophotosupplies.com/shop.php?category=127 Film&shopid=02111201

I'd ask Ilford if they ever did short runs of 127. They have their experimental lab so it's not impossible.

Thanks Suz but its a TLR I want, its just so cute...and I could never own a Canon..... :nikon:

Only problem with the respooling option is getting the spools and the backing paper. Provided you can get suitable backing paper, actually attaching the film to the backing paper securely , and acuratly can be a nightmare. I had to do something similar back in the eighties, but with 120 film. Seemed to take forever, plus you have to keep figure prints off. Fortunately for me it was only an experiment: Major Fail(n)
(n)

Mmm, I thought that might be the case. I might risk a purchase of a couple of rolls of out of date stuff just to give it a try, but later in the year, I already have many cameras.

It does seem to be the case that apart from the mahoosive roll of HP5, every one is out of stock. There are rumours that Efke are going to start producing it this year but no-one knows when. I just want one of those dinky little Yash TLR's....is it too much to ask that a company start producing an out of date, nearly unused size of film so I can gratify an itch?

Yashica_44_by_Caivman.jpg

Hi Andy, its worth talking to Ilford they do a run once a year on unusual film sizes and 127 is one of these sizes. They make a run of a certain amount and that's it for the year so once its sold its no more till next year. Last I heard the run for this year has just happened or is about to happen so worth asking them to see if they have 127 available.

Thanks Erik, I shall do that.

you can fit a 35mm roll in them, ofcourse you get a rather tall cropped view, and you should probably just use 24exposure as it get tight feeling towards the end
does need to be unloaded and rewound in a dark bag though

(n)

You don't need to have original 127 backing papaer.

A little patience and some "Blue Peter" creativity ( we all recall how creative they where on that program don't we?! lol) means you can use 120 backing paper.

Simply cut to length and width,

"Dry run it on spools through the camera and calulate the frame sizes and thus note the frame numbers in biro on the paper.

A bit of tape, (masking or gaffa works best as it can be peeled back easier than cellotape on the paper) to hold the film in place.

Spool 35mm onto the 127 spool.

Load into camera ( best done in the changing bag / dark room as the film is likely to spring off the 127 spool.)

Yes a little bit faffy but perfectly feasible if you really want to get use out of a camera of which as limited film availabilty.

As Paul says, you end up with a cropped shot which has to be taken into account when composing in the viewfinder but hey, a camera brought back to life!

you just need to remove the bits in the top that tension the 127 film, with them removed the 35mm canistor fits, but is abit loose, i use a couple of coins to get it tight and not offset much (1mm or so from centered),
you will have spacing issues, so i wind so it says 12 on the counter, then tape the leader to the 127 take up spool. then each time you shoot wind on twice. you get spaced out pictures but saves them from overlap.

I have a Baby Rolleiflex - the Yashica 44 is based on that camera. I have about a dozen rolls of 127 film, mostly Efke R100 which I nabbed as the price was going up but not quite as much as it costs now for the remaining rolls in circulation. I also have a couple of rolls of Bluefire Murano which is basically old Portra 160 respooled in Canada - expensive to import into UK.

Examples of both film types are here:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=127&ss=0&ct=0&mt=all&w=33186310@N03&adv=1

I've just sent the Rollei for a service and am planning to use it a bit more, but probably only a couple of rolls a year so my stock should last six years. Maco are talking about introducing Rollei RPX100 in 127 format, later in 2014.

I did try respooling a 35mm film onto 127 backing paper, which was fiddly and difficult to line up. Respooling (preferably from cut-down 120) would be my last resort if my stock runs out and the Maco film doesn't materialise.

Thanks Kev, I think I shall hold off until (if?) someone begins production again. I know that if I have to faff around re-spooling etc. then the camera won't get used so I'll be better off taking my time.

Cheers

True......doh..... Maybe I'll get one and just keep it lovingly in a glass case until film is available, they do look real Purdy...:D

My little 44 is darn nearly out of film, too. The last roll I have left is a roll of Rollei Crossbird which I'm going to shoot and get developed properly (E6). It's a great camera and I've had some great shots out of it. Who should we talk to at Ilford? I'd really love some FP4 or Delta in 127 format - if only!

Just read this on the Ilford website.

'Slittings related to older formats such as 127 film will allow end users to be able to use vintage and classic cameras of those formats. In addition, and again at the request of customers, we are making available 120 Roll Film Backing Paper. This highly specialized product in 120 size 100 foot lengths (61.5mm x 30.5 metre) is required by those end users effectively constructing their own film.'

I'm assuming that this means if we can get enough of an order together they will run a batch of 127?

Andy

Back