You No Longer Need Expensive Lighting Kit!

Edit My Images
No
Has anyone seen this article in the [deleted] Peta Pixel today? The photos are excellent and the way he lights them is awesome too!

Edit: Changed Daily Mail to Peta Pixel based on a fair point from P.Y. Photographic :LOL:

Last edited:
Shame it's in the Daily Mail, I have a policy of not giving any attention to that rag.

Is there another version of the same article anywhere else?

Very interesting!
I'm sure though that he will not convert his whole
operation to that approach! :D

The real story is man uses cardboard as light modifier. Photographers have been using bits of card, fabric etc as modifiers for years so this is not news.
Unfortunately the marketing department of this burger chain has successfully convinced people that this advert is a proper news story. I bet you will soon see similar adverts dressed up as news from other fast food companies.

Last edited:
Like that. Does make you stop and think about things for sure.

Gaz

Having watched the video, I was surprised to see very little distortion in the photos.

I'm so rubbish at exploiting commercial opportunities! Back in 2008 when I was developing my off-camera flash gear I made a nice omnidirectional flash diffuser from a discarded hamburger box I found in the street and cleaned up. It worked really well. The problem with it, as I suspect is the problem with the burger box bounce card, was the difficulty of carrying it around in a gear bag without breaking it.

Styrofoam Burger Box Omnibounce, supported by worm strap by Chris Malcolm, on Flickr

Has anyone seen this article in the [deleted] Peta Pixel today? The photos are excellent and the way he lights them is awesome too!

Edit: Changed Daily Mail to Peta Pixel based on a fair point from P.Y. Photographic :LOL:

Have I missed something here. Why change your post because another member does not like DM. Where is the fair point that he made?

I'm so rubbish at exploiting commercial opportunities! Back in 2008 when I was developing my off-camera flash gear I made a nice omnidirectional flash diffuser from a discarded hamburger box I found in the street and cleaned up. It worked really well. The problem with it, as I suspect is the problem with the burger box bounce card, was the difficulty of carrying it around in a gear bag without breaking it.

Styrofoam Burger Box Omnibounce, supported by worm strap by Chris Malcolm, on Flickr

I used to use a piece of stiff mounting card covered in reflective number plate stuff for a bounce board, to stiffen it a folded wire coat hanger was taped to the back, had it in the bag for years, still going strong.

Have I missed something here. Why change your post because another member does not like DM. Where is the fair point that he made?
Well, photography wise, they have a habit of using photographs and not paying...

http://www.wonderlandblog.com/wonde...hotos-despite-my-denying-them-permission.html
http://gakuran.com/daily-mail-used-my-photos-without-permission-and-without-payment/
https://petapixel.com/2012/04/20/the-daily-mail-stole-my-photos-and-i-got-paid/

cardboard light modifiers are great. It costs very little to experiment, such as this cardboard tube I used to silhouette cars
138490644.yYkn3jjx.lightmodifier1of1.jpg

138032865.XhOVYTqX.Shape6.jpg

I like that idea. Looks amazing.
Cardboard tube I got from a carpet shop for free. A cheap flashgun, wirelessly triggered at either end, pushed into the tube and secured using washing up sponges for compress into the space holding the flash guns in. Inside was lined with some sticky silver foil tape I had. Then it was held up with two stands.

Worked quite well, but then that was at a time I was experimenting with different lighting
138490599.jpg

Used again but this time low along the side of the car out of shot and the flashguns up to max
138490600.jpg

I used to use a piece of stiff mounting card covered in reflective number plate stuff for a bounce board, to stiffen it a folded wire coat hanger was taped to the back, had it in the bag for years, still going strong.

I made this for my Vivitar 285.

On%20Camera.jpg

Held on with Velcro.

Steve.

Foil covered lids from take-away containers. Can use them not only with flashguns but also as reflectors for macro photography subjects.

Last edited:

Well, Kris is only doing the same thing as Wikipedia:

'Wikipedia editors have voted to ban the Daily Mail as a source for the website in all but exceptional circumstances after deeming the news group “generally unreliable”... The editors described the arguments for a ban as “centred on the Daily Mail’s reputation for poor fact checking, sensationalism and flat-out fabrication” ... volunteer editors on English Wikipedia have come to a consensus that the Daily Mail is ‘generally unreliable and its use as a reference is to be generally prohibited, especially when other more reliable sources exist’.'

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the Daily Mail ,far better than the Independant Trash

I beg to differ :D

In my previous life in Estate & Tax Planning the DM caused me LOADS of problems with Financial Advisers and their/our mutual clients as they'd read something in the Money section and then phone phone me up worried or complaining my advice was wrong - each time I spent hours proving the DM was in fact wrong to keep everyone happy, and I twice wrote to the DM editor to correct the crap they'd published - in neither case did they even acknowledge me let alone correct what was written

I can understand them not really caring about accuracy (all press that is) for such as who's screwing who, but advising on personal finances you'd hope was accurate

Dave

Nothing wrong with the Daily Mail ,far better than the Independant Trash
It says a lot about DM readers that even when you show them that it's factually unreliable they'll defend it any way.

Too bad it's BS...
Only the first image shows any real evidence of being lit that way... if it was used at all in the remaining images, it didn't make much difference (which is about what you would expect from a small flashlight in a hamburger box).

Well, Kris is only doing the same thing as Wikipedia:

'Wikipedia editors have voted to ban the Daily Mail as a source for the website in all but exceptional circumstances after deeming the news group “generally unreliable”... The editors described the arguments for a ban as “centred on the Daily Mail’s reputation for poor fact checking, sensationalism and flat-out fabrication” ... volunteer editors on English Wikipedia have come to a consensus that the Daily Mail is ‘generally unreliable and its use as a reference is to be generally prohibited, especially when other more reliable sources exist’.'
Generally unreliable..... thats a bit like saying Hitler was a bit naughty... :) The papers main sources for "news" are twitter, facebook, and youtube.

Back