Your photography pet hates

Totally agree on orbs. Also shots off motorway bridges of car lights. Yaaaaaaaaaawn!
I think it's a just a phase everyone goes through. They get a camera with the ability to do long exposures and the most obvious test subject is some form of light trail.

People looking at me like I'm a paedophile when I'm wondering around with a 100-400 in a nature reserve. Yes I understand that people may take toddlers for a walk around a lake but FFS I'm there for nature not some young dumb mum Removed : Way too explicit!!!pushing her sprog about :D

Very insightful

To the point and viewed with a withrering acceptance that, like the poor, the moronic retards are alway with us.

Steve

People telling beginners that the kit lens is one of the best they'll ever own, when they don't use it anymore themselves. I find that really pompous. A bit "well, good enough for you but not me, oh no"

Photographers who think zoos, safari parks, etc are their own private shooting arena.
You know the morons I'm talking about. Set up at the best viewing spots with a tripod, kit bag on the ground and a lens the size of their arm. While disappointed kids wait in vain for their chance to get a peak.
Just self importance, isn't it?

Still thing "Nifty Fifty" is the worst!! :puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading childish arguments on forums.

Building to arguments that get too personal and cause threads to be closed.

Ridiculous and unecessary.

Act your age and not your shoe size. Farce Book this is not.

Steve

this thread sooks :LOL:

I hate when the words "Ansel Adams" and "great" are used in the same sentence (except sentences saying they shouldn't be used in the same sentence)
All that old-fashioned looking stuff of his - just like the Buddy Holly of photography.

After a day chasing a toddler round the park (happened to be mine!) I was hoping for a mature and interesting discussion.

You can hazard a guess how I feel about this thread.

Star trails. The first time you see a star trail photo it's a reasonably interesting concept, but the appeal plummets precipitously after that.
Far prefer the natural beauty of straightforward starscapes.

Photos with Gareth Bales in.

He's everywhere at the moment, isn't he? :puke:

" I made this image" - I don't make images, I shoot photographs, so do you unless your having a PS fest.
I might have composed the shot, adjusted the exposure, adjusted the lighting in the studio, I might have even manually focused the shot, but after that I just pressed the button & the camera's processor did the rest.
Back in the day I would have loaded the cassette with film, loaded the camera, composed, focused, calculated the exposure, taken the shot then developed the film and printed the resultant photographs, then you have something in front of you that you can say you "made".
Today its just different levels of creative input.
Its even more important to make a distinction these days with so many relying on various auto modes, someone creative input can be as little as composing the shot and pressing the button.

Mature photographers who dismiss older gear when they can probably recall drooling over what they could do with it.

That could be a language thing - in Spanish you do "make" the image. So for someone who doesn't have English as their first language, it could just be a translation error.

It's an interesting one that, because they also use sacar (take out) here in Spain and I've noticed latin americans use tomar (take) a fair amount. Gotta love Spanish and it's variations eh! :)

People who think jpeg is better that RAW.. it isnt. PP is a very important part of photography. Stop being lazy and finish the job. Just as you had to when shooting film. There is no argument yet people still fight for jpeg!!! Grrrrr

Photographers who wear the horrible trademark gear, like Canon/Nikon/pentax jackets, hats etc ... as if it made them superior or something. There's a few of them in my town, and I just laugh when I see one in particular. I reckon he sleeps in that Canon coat, I have honestly never seen him without it on. He's also a very unlikable person on top.

Still thing "Nifty Fifty" is the worst!! :puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

That one too, though guilty of it myself, but only typed, never spoken! Also hate the term "tog"- how lazy are we that we can't complete a word? Wouldn't call a carpenter a 'carp' :D

That one too, though guilty of it myself, but only typed, never spoken! Also hate the term "tog"- how lazy are we that we can't complete a word? Wouldn't call a carpenter a 'carp' :D

Yep "tog" makes me puke too.(y)

People who are overly precious about shooting in RAW.

I hate when the words "Ansel Adams" and "great" are used in the same sentence (except sentences saying they shouldn't be used in the same sentence)
All that old-fashioned looking stuff of his - just like the Buddy Holly of photography.

Buddy Holly?????

Seriously?

Mozart or Beethoven maybe, but Buddy Holly.....

People who are overly precious about shooting in RAW.

yeah I prefer people to keep their clothes on when shooting too

"Ugly goat belming arse gibbon"!..............chortle.

its not what it appears ... we were discussing moderation on bookface and I said I'd never make it as a moderator because a mod isn't free to call a member an ugly goat belming arse gibbon

seems I was wrong :LOL:

People in bird hides who don`t turn off the auto focus confirm beep.................:bat:

Street photographers.

I think the skill died in the 40s and all we get now are endless shots of tedious, mediocre, nothingness. But hey its in b&w so needs copious fawning over by the hipsters.

Street photographers.

I think the skill died in the 40s and all we get now are endless shots of tedious, mediocre, nothingness. But hey its in b&w so needs copious fawning over by the hipsters.

+1

You forgot to mention the photoshop added film grain that is so excessive that it looks like a photocopy of an old newspaper photograph.

Street photographers.

Wow

A full house of a single genre!!!

I like the effort of all types of photography and whilst I do a bit of "street" I know to get what I want, I shoot in 35mm/120 so I have to ration my frames (no 5.6fps). There is a lot of "emptiness" ineven crowded streets.

Been in Bath a few hours today - managed 7 frames and 3 pints of Guinness.

Just not happening for me!

So with your hates - some of the way!

Steve

Street photographers.

I bet lot of people thought the same back then, every day scenes that were a common sight that now are looked at in different light.

Last edited:
Back