Your shots with the Raynox DCR250

A recent hand held shot with my new lens (70-200 f/4 L IS :D:D)

IMG_4519.jpg

dibbly dobbler said:
I'm amazed at the quality of these shots! :clap:

So be honest - did I waste my money on an MPE65 ?!

No. They might be good but they can't compete with that...

Mike, if I could afford an MPE 65 as well... I'd be getting one. Maybe one day.

Mike, if I could afford an MPE 65 as well... I'd be getting one. Maybe one day.

I was in the same position until very recently and now I have one - hmm...

Put it like this - if your subject is very small, and happy to sit still while you get within a few inches then it's ace. For anything twitchy or large-ish (ie big bees, damsel flies, butterflies etc) then it's bloody hard work and you'd be better off with a 100mm !

Are theses Raynox things easy to use? I've got a dedicated macro lens already, is it worth forking out for one of these beautys.

gerbstoke said:
Are theses Raynox things easy to use? I've got a dedicated macro lens already, is it worth forking out for one of these beautys.

By they way some very good pictures in this thread. They put mine to shame.

Do you chaps use a focusing rail when using the Raynox?

Al

If I'm using a tripod, I use a cheap rail I got from ebay. It works, within limits...

I decided to see just how far I could push the magnification... from front to back...

Raynox DCR250, 70-200 @ 200mm, Kenko 2x MC7 TC, full set of macro tubes

This is mustard seed (approx 1 to 1.5mm across), and is not cropped

IMG_3349.jpg

Thanks very much - more expense to follow then :)

Al

Well....not necessarily.

It depends on what approach you want to take.

Personally, I can't understand the use of a tripod for macro, unless it's still life.

For bugs I get down and dirty with the critters. You need to be quick and adaptable.

It's hand held all the way for me. Takes some practice though.

Al, you say, that, my tripod is a redsnapper with 3 way head, not really expensive, and the rail was £15, it's good enough to enable focus stacking on still life as Simon says. Otherwise, handheld, you can easily make a ring flash converter out of a CD spindle for a hot shoe flashgun...

http://www.diyphotography.net/readers-projects-the-cd-spindle-ringflash

The cd spindle thing works pretty well, most of my macro shots are lit using it.

Hi all,

I received my raynox today and had a quick go indoors. I don't have a flash so put a sheet of A4 photo paper over the built in flash to diffuse and reflect :)

I installed it on my 70-200 f4 lens and took these. Wow its hard! I set it to manual focus at infinity and just moved physically back and forward to focus. Is this the thing to do when hand held?

Any comments welcome. PS, any idea what this bug is on my back window, inside!

Regards,
Steve

1)

Untitled by Steve Babb, on Flickr

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

Steve, that's pretty much the technique... although you will get more magnification if you focus to minimum focus distance, instead of infinity, but then it gets harder still ;)

Off to a good start with the Raynox too. Sorry, can't help on the bug ID

I bought a Raynox which I haven't got round to trying yet but after seeing some of the great shots here I am certainly inspired to have a go. Thanks :)

After reading through many threads and photos taken using the Raynox 150 and 250 close up filters, I finally decided to purchase the 250 for myself and have a go using my 14-140mm lens and GH2.

I've never shot anything approaching 'proper macro' before so there's no doubt these could be improved, but I'm fairly happy for a first try. The biggest challenges are going to be composition and DoF, but I had great fun playing around for an hour or two this afternoon.

A few examples of what I ended up with....

RT_190612_001 by srhphoto, on Flickr

RT_190612_006 by srhphoto, on Flickr

RT_190612_004 by srhphoto, on Flickr

Anyone got pics of their CD spindle home build?

I have started one but it's a bit rough. Should I glue aluminium foil to the inside? I was also thinking of a sock over the whole thing to prevent light loss.

Nice one SRH... and you're right, those two things are really challenging ;)

Doug, Here's mine

PICT0551.jpg

I've lined it with white paper, and the diagonal is lined with tin foil. I use the flash on full power to be sure. I know I'm losing some power around the edges, but I'm not sure what exactly to do about that. It works though.

Wondering if anyone uses a step down ring to fit the Raynox lens to camera rather than the supplied snap-on adapter?

Al

Thanks John. I have some nice tasty black gaffer tape and some mirrored wrapping paper.

What kind of glue did you use?

I'm off to get some more cardboard as just bought a second hand 250 off a TP user last night.

Doug, I can't remember now (probably PVA or something similar, just to hold it whilst I taped it).. I'm still on my first one, I made it probably 3.5 years ago now.

Thanks, off to Raymans now on a mission!!

PS I have found a couple of mobile phone boxes that do the trick.

Rough around the edges but my 250 is in the post so I'll finish it off when that arrives. (And yes there is an aperture under that card!!)

I got some tape just be like John!! :D

Untitled by Dougster8000, on Flickr

:D look forward to the results Doug

I'm thinking of getting some white electricians tape for the rougher bits.

What lens should I use with the 250 when it arrives?

I was thinking of making the top part adjustable in case I decide to get extension tubes.

Back