Your shots with the Raynox DCR250

Cheers Gary. I was thinking of getting some cheap rails too.

Yeah, I have been tempted to buy some cheap rails but I haven't really used it on the tripod before. Maybe if I had rails I would :D

Doug, anything over 100mm really, as Gary said, beyond 200mm it starts getting really hard, as opposed to just difficult ;).. I got a macro rail from ebay, like this one

I battered in!!

Now I know how, I could put one together in a couple of hours and it would be far tidier.

484198_4169210193164_1759706010_n.jpg

Hi everyone,

Rather than clutter the forum up with another thread, can i ask if anyone has used the Raynox 250 with a Nikon 18-55mm kit lens?

And may i also ask, why most of you all have space ships coming off of your cameras? :D

They are DIY ring flashes Jim.

See above re length. Between 100-200.

That's my Tamron 70-300 on there but I don't have my 250 yet.

James, give it a go... I don't know the Nikon gear, but the Canon 18-55 at 55mm (gets about 1/2 lifesize, but suffers from some serious vignetting. On my 50mm f/1.8 there wasn't any vignetting and it did quite a nice job.

You can crop out the middle of course to remove the vignetting, I found it's better on longer focal length lenses, and the blurb agrees with that.

Looks good Doug, now all you need is your Raynox... I'd seriously consider keeping the FL down around the 100mm mark till you're used to it, although watch out, getting more and more magnification gets very addictive...

Last edited:
Cheers John.

I dunno why I'm bothering as the midges up here have the wingspan of a friggin sparrow!!

I have been trying for a while to get anything half decent, but being relatively new to photography I have had a lot to learn and I am still struggling to get something I am happy with.

This is the best of todays bunch anyway. I am struggling with the focus but I suppose that comes with practice (I hope!) I am staying at the short end of my 55-250 and slowly moving upwards as I get better.

fly by purrplekate, on Flickr

Cheers John.

I dunno why I'm bothering as the midges up here have the wingspan of a friggin sparrow!!

As long as they don't have a bite to match :puke:

Nice one Erce, the focus is tricky... set the lens to manual focus, rock back and forwards slowly with the shutter button half pressed, and, you should, get the focus confirm beep and blink at the right moment.

Ah - thanks very much indeed :) Glad to have confirmation that it's OK before I actually buy one.

Thanks again,
Al

James, give it a go... I don't know the Nikon gear, but the Canon 18-55 at 55mm (gets about 1/2 lifesize, but suffers from some serious vignetting. On my 50mm f/1.8 there wasn't any vignetting and it did quite a nice job.

You can crop out the middle of course to remove the vignetting, I found it's better on longer focal length lenses, and the blurb agrees with that.

Looks good Doug, now all you need is your Raynox... I'd seriously consider keeping the FL down around the 100mm mark till you're used to it, although watch out, getting more and more magnification gets very addictive...

I will do mate, certainly looks good value for money :)

What size step down ring do i need to fit my 250 to a 58mm thread please

Many thanks
Cliff

ok thank you both, no uk ones so won't get one for this weekend, never mind i've managed so far :laugh: there is one but the description says step up :(

Atb
Cliff

Thank you, don't know how i missed that one :)
Atb
Cliff

Looking at getting one of these 250's.

Excuse my ignorance but does it work on a Canon 1000d with a kit lens and what other equipment do I need to get near to some of the pictures posted?

Thanks.

Looking at getting one of these 250's.

Excuse my ignorance but does it work on a Canon 1000d with a kit lens and what other equipment do I need to get near to some of the pictures posted?

Thanks.
Yes it will fit, the only other thing you will need is a steady hand, I cut an old plastic milk bottle up and put a hole in the strip of plastic so it slides over my lens and sits in front of the flash to diffuse it. You can go buying flashes and focus rails but to get started just fit the raynox on the front of the kit lens and off you go.
Hope that helps.
Cliff

Thanks for that Cliff. Going to get one now. I already have one of the square flash diffusers I bought from eBay. So I guess I won't be needing a milk bottle.

A couple of DCR 250 shots from the weekend - I tend to do most of my macro with either a DSLR + 180mm lens + 2 x converter, or like these on my small sensor G11 fitted with an adapter tube and a number of supplementary lenses. My favourite is a lovely Leica Elpro 3 which is a +1.66 lens and gives me a working distance of around 60cm or the Raynox +8 which with my lens at infinity has a working distance of 12cm - big advantage of the G is the huge amounts of DoF, lighting for these was a EX580 fitted on a bracket and firing through a simple diffuser...

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

IMG_3342.jpg

Yes it will fit, the only other thing you will need is a steady hand, I cut an old plastic milk bottle up and put a hole in the strip of plastic so it slides over my lens and sits in front of the flash to diffuse it. You can go buying flashes and focus rails but to get started just fit the raynox on the front of the kit lens and off you go.
Hope that helps.
Cliff

Ordered one this morning from Amazon.
Should be here tomorrow or Friday.

I've got one of these. Would that work instead of a home made diffuser like the one's already posted?

34garep.jpg

Yes colin, on a flashgun, i only have onboard flash so i would think it would be difficult to fit but yes, on a flashgun it would be ok. Anything that diffuses the flash would be good, the advantage the home made things with CD spindles have is that they redirect the light around the subject rather than just diffusing direct flash.
Atb
Cliff

The postman has just been!

Two very quick attempts with my Tamron 70-200 as I need to head out. Would people recommend I stick on my x2 converter too?

1:43 Scale Sierra.

008 by Dougster8000, on Flickr

Raynox Box.

001 by Dougster8000, on Flickr

Thanks to wontolla from TP for the 250. It arrived packaged well and in perfect condition.

Last edited:
The postman has just been!

Two very quick attempts with my Tamron 70-200 as I need to head out. Would people recommend I stick on my x2 converter too?

Haha, you couldn't wait :LOL:

As for the 2x converter, see how you get on, people do it but the DOF will be less still, more magnification = less DOF
Experiment by all means but use the experience to master the techniques, especially handholding.
looking forward to seeing some more from you.
Atb
Cliff

Doug, I agree with Cliff, get used to using it when it's only hard to use... adding the 2x TC will give you a lot more magnification but make it a whole heapload harder to use... if you're bored one day and want to get even more... add in a set of tubes as well as the TC ;)

I've been footering tonight and adding an extension to the top of my DIY ring light.

Just trying to get my distances and a set of cheap rails are in order but can't wait to get outside.

I've been in every corner of the house looking for spiders!!

Back