You're in for a surprise! The NEW iMAC Pro.

The new Hybrid storage we use in datacentres is blindingly fast. You mix Raided SSD's 15K and 10K Sas drives, then allow the data to move to the speed of storage required, or stick your databases etc on the fast ssd drives. I've experimented with different raid levels, single vs multiple drives and the raided drives are always quicker, but then I'm talking numerous drives from 10 to 40 SSD's and upto around 300 fast hard drives.

Max load temp measurements, artificially loading the CPU and GPU under max stress:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDPnDJwTC8M

Gets very very hot (94c CPU, 74c GPU)- BUT apple is currently keeping the fans barely spinning

Obviously its unlikely in graphics / photo/ video work the chips would be worked as hard as an artifical stress test.

I would imagine they will release an update to run the fans faster if the user chooses.

Last edited:
Max load temp measurements, artificially loading the CPU and GPU under max stress:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDPnDJwTC8M

Gets very very hot (94c CPU, 74c GPU)- BUT apple is currently keeping the fans barely spinning

Obviously its unlikely in graphics / photo/ video work the chips would be worked as hard as an artifical stress test.

I would imagine they will release an update to run the fans faster if the user chooses.

Strange, my cheap ass 2012 £70 windows motherboard has fully customisable fan profiles so you can map them to go any speed you want at different temps.

I guess $5000 doesn't get you everything

So it's not RAID after all, but a single controller looking at both NAND chips. And speculation that the Xeon is an underclocked variant..

Interesting teardown ☺️

It's quite concerning that the CPU was able to reach those temperatures at all! That's outside of Intel's specification for Xeon processors

Did he not say that the fans appeared to max out and that the Xeon could not maintain Turbo boost under maximum load? It's impressive for what it is, but I am wondering about it's lifespan...

Last edited:
Strange, my cheap ass 2012 £70 windows motherboard has fully customisable fan profiles so you can map them to go any speed you want at different temps.

A "Windows motherboard" now?

The essence of Apple ownership is that the user should not need to adjust the hardware - if you wanted access to fan speed controls etc then you are not Apple's target market.

Interesting article I was reading here https://photographylife.com/microsoft-surface-book-2-vs-apple-macbook-pro where a Mac book with noticeably inferior hardware to a windows laptop ended up quite a bit faster because of better cooling and thus the cpu didn’t throttle so hard.

Whilst in my example the Mac came out on top unless Apple can get the heat issue under control with this new machine it’s going to be easily outclassed by lesser hardware with cheap ass (but far superior) cooling.

Interesting article I was reading here https://photographylife.com/microsoft-surface-book-2-vs-apple-macbook-pro where a Mac book with noticeably inferior hardware to a windows laptop ended up quite a bit faster because of better cooling and thus the cpu didn’t throttle so hard.

Whilst in my example the Mac came out on top unless Apple can get the heat issue under control with this new machine it’s going to be easily outclassed by lesser hardware with cheap ass (but far superior) cooling.
I think nobody who buys this iMac will worry too much if it's is not a top performer. As long as it does the job.

It's quite concerning that the CPU was able to reach those temperatures at all! That's outside of Intel's specification for Xeon processors

Did he not say that the fans appeared to max out and that the Xeon could not maintain Turbo boost under maximum load? It's impressive for what it is, but I am wondering about it's lifespan...

I'm inclined to agree. 94c is going to be bad for any processor in the long term, it's going to be tickling if not hitting the thermal handbrake. I can't find any detailed thermal specs for the w-2195 only than the tcase is 66c, but that's no real indication of maximum operating temp. The older E5 I think hit the thermal brakes at around 88c?

I'd prefer some fan ramping than a smouldering mess of a cpu..

I think nobody who buys this iMac will worry too much if it's is not a top performer. As long as it does the job.
That's the thing, with all those cores the people buying them will most likely be needing to utilise its power. If it overheats to the point of significantly throttling its performance then its a bit of a failure.

94C is fine for server based CPU.

Also its an artificial benchmark, not even exporting video using both 'full' CPU and GPU would hit 94c - it just doesn't do that - sure the video export logic of the CPU would taxed but not the rest such as FP/INT (well it would use one, not the other)

But yes as above, apple logic is removing the use from the hardware experience, so, no, they wont offer fan profiles right now - its not their way - maybe they will on this pro line up - or more likely auto detect everything is loaded and ramp up the fan as it knows at that level (both cpu and gpu maxed exporting) the user is unlikely to be sitting in front of the machine.

THE BIGGER PROBLEM (nothing to do with apple)

IS THE MASSIVE SECURITY FLAW JUST FOUND IN INTEL CPU'S - but this effects everyone - any code executed on intel CPU's made in the past 10 years has a HARDWARE security hole - the only way around patching this in software forces the cpu modules to become independant resulting in a 30% performance hit.

This is massive - the entire **anything** using an intel cpu is about to get a 30% performance loss in everything.

My idea of an AMD hackinosh all of a sudden looks alot more sensible eh ????? - thank god ryzen OSX is now stable - all the perf without the security holes or if no security hole on intel - a 30% performance drop.

Using Intel lads? Say byebye to 30% perf when the patch is outed.

Last edited:
Like I say the W series doesn't appear to have much thermal data published, but as mentioned the E chips throttled much sooner than 94c. I'd suggest 94c is not "fine" for prolonged use, sure you may not get a thermal power down event until the other side of 100-110c but you'd certainly be getting close if not running into the thermal limiters. Something seems astray in the video results imo.

Okay its an artificial loading scenario but any cooling system that cannot maintain suitable temps at 100% load is not fit for purpose. It seems that less noise is preferential to possible heat issues, hopefully it's just an early firmware bug not kicking the fans in enough.

Again, the proof will be in the real world and I'd be happy to be proved wrong but I'm certainly not the only one concerned.

Back