You're in for a surprise! The NEW iMAC Pro.

Kodiak Qc

Suspended / Banned
Name
French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
Edit My Images
Yes

Apple just put the new iMac PRO on their site.

Just for fun, I configured it as if I were
  • a gamer with a passion and
  • videographer with lots of big projects and
  • added a small adapter.

Are you anchored to your chair?
…here we go, Starting at 5,000$ US

I did NOT press the blue button at the bottom! :D:D:D

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/

Imac%20PRO.jpg

Last edited:
I could do with a 4TB SSD.. two would be ideal.

Last edited:
My son did the same earlier and I said Apple has finally lost the plot! What with the £1000 iPhone X now the £13k iMac :eek:

I read that Apple is already developing the
next MacPro… what is it gonna be??? :rolleyes:

I'm ripping 2 x blurays whilst playing World of Warcraft across 5 accounts/game clients on one PC + browsing the internet..

I'll try and make good use of it, promise.

I'll suggest that a highly specced Imac, like the type I have and the one you have just bought would be more than enough for most mortals. Imac's really are very good now, my editing takes moments where as many years ago on a less than state of the art windows pc it was a chore and less than pleasureable.
cheers

Cut to the chase though I wanna See the gift options :naughty: especially if I'm spending over $13k

Just get a nerd to build you a watercooled overclocked custom windows PC for about £1500 and it will keep up with that except in limited circumstances that nobody with an actual life would ever encounter

I’d still say a HP Workstation or Dell Precision is a better machine for the money, in my scenario anyway.

It's not really a surprise. People have been posting about £12K Macs on FB all day.

Apple know exactly what they are doing - £5K iMacs now look cheap. Also, I had no idea they still made computers.

Just get a nerd to build you a watercooled overclocked custom windows PC for about £1500 and it will keep up with that except in limited circumstances that nobody with an actual life would ever encounter
Yes.. but the *limited circumstances* is where people buy 18 core Xeon workstations rather than 4 core i7 desktop PCs for! Given an 18 core Xeon processor costs over $3,000 what you are suggesting for £1500 (even overclocked) is NOT comparable.
I’d still say a HP Workstation or Dell Precision is a better machine for the money, in my scenario anyway.
Yes, but is is much cheaper than the Apple iMac Pro for similar cost?
Apple just put the new iMac PRO on their site.
I guess Dell will have to remove this claim...
dell_snap-8F6hMhQw.1513333362.png

Yes.. but the *limited circumstances* is where people buy 18 core Xeon workstations rather than 4 core i7 desktop PCs for! Given an 18 core Xeon processor costs over $3,000 what you are suggesting for £1500 (even overclocked) is NOT comparable.

I spent £500 just watercooling my PC (gpu,cpu,pump,rad,tubes,fittings) that would leave £1000 for the rest! Barely enough for a graphics card :D

18 core though :D
Better can be had much cheaper if you build yourself though!

And this thing will throttle hard with it’s barely there cooling.

And lol at paying £13k and getting a vega64!

Last edited:
Better can be had much cheaper if you build yourself though!

And this thing will throttle hard with it’s barely there cooling.

And lol at paying £13k and getting a vega64!

I do wonder about the heat build up - and the mediocre screen. I'd want the best Eizo calibrated job going for that outlay.

Your right but a couple of points :
The 8th gen i7 are not 4 core, they are 8 core now, yippee....
The cost gap is in most part because the Xeon`s are seriously upgraded durability for running 24 / 7 under heavy work non stop.
Its not like you get ten times more performance.

Your right
The main point of my post (which you have kind of ignored) was where I said that while your £1500 machine will be find for most circumstanced ... its the limited circumstances that you mention that costs the extra £11,500. For some uses that extra is worth it.

PS. haven't Intel only released 6 core 8th Generation i7 not 8 core (though there were 8 and more core versions of earlier i7 so they are likely coming)?

no different for adding on every extra for a ford fiesta, you could porbably get one of those up to 30k

I spent £500 just watercooling my PC (gpu,cpu,pump,rad,tubes,fittings) that would leave £1000 for the rest! Barely enough for a graphics card :D
Even a £100 AIO with a 240mm rad will completely outclass the cooling on the Apple Mac though, so there’s no need to go mad.

Perhaps £1500 could match the £5k iMac but I think you need at least £4K to utterly destroy the £11k iMac:D or give me £6k I’ll shoe horn in the new Volta Titan gpu (£2700) and it will seriously embarrass the iMac pro for generations to come!

Problem with Apple is that they have simply selected pre existing components, crippled the performance with poor cooling added a huge Apple tax and yes I know it’ll sell by the bucket load....

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for an Apple hater to show us where you can buy a *similar speed* (that means Xeon processors, ECC memory and PCIe based SSD) from a major company for significantly less than the cost of the iMac Pro - I'm willing to accept comparisons to either the £5k entry level or the fully loaded £12,800 version.

Not build it yourself PC components using i7 and SATA based SSD ... but a true comparison.

Granted that for most uses the workstation class performance of the iMac Pro is irrelevant ... but thats not a true comparison as its those outlier cases where something like the iMac Pro proves its worth.

I'm still waiting for an Apple hater to show us where you can buy a *similar speed* (that means Xeon processors, ECC memory and PCIe based SSD) from a major company for significantly less than the cost of the iMac Pro - I'm willing to accept comparisons to either the £5k entry level or the fully loaded £12,800 version.

Not build it yourself PC components using i7 and SATA based SSD ... but a true comparison.

Granted that for most uses the workstation class performance of the iMac Pro is irrelevant ... but thats not a true comparison as its those outlier cases where something like the iMac Pro proves its worth.

https://www.ebuyer.com/753152-850-e...1DbNJu3V1Rr_aMnWukDvwcY1QoZ2Ki0kaAsGHEALw_wcB

£1250 - that's the hard drive sorted.

You can configure a Dell precision workstation to similar specs, won't be quite as expensive as the apple, but at least the cooling will work ;) Slightly overkill though for LR & PS but then again no harm having a bit of head room :)

Jeez the fan boys are out in force.

If you want to get technical the w 2133 class xeons bench around the same as the 8th gen i7. Even the 6900k benches much much better from what I can see. Although the 2195 (which has lower base clock but more cores) I can't find a bench comparison.

So you probably could spec a similar machine.

But I really can't be arsed just to win a peeing contest.

Last edited:
You can configure a Dell precision workstation to similar specs, won't be quite as expensive as the apple, but at least the cooling will work ;) Slightly overkill though for LR & PS but then again no harm having a bit of head room :)
That’s my point... people are talking about £4K to “destroy” the iMac Pro (fully loaded) ... but no one is putting their money (or at least showing equivilent comparisons) where their mouth is.

Most users aren’t going to meet “Workstation Class” machines, but for the few that do the iMac Pro *isn’t* (as far as I can see) significantly higher cost than a Dell or HP.

Specc’ing similar to the iMac Pro on Dell’s U.K. site earlier I got around £10,000 ... but that’s with older processor and multiple 1TB drives (2x NVMe, 1xSATA) rather than a single 4TB NVMe.

Well instead of the Intel Xeon W processor there is the Intel i9 7980XE which has comparible performance at stock but can also be overclocked and its cheaper than the xeon

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/int...e-36-thread-26ghz-42ghz-2475mb-44-lane-165w-r

Jeez the fan boys are out in force.
[…]
But I really can't be arsed just to win a peeing contest.
No, it’s the anti-Apple fan boys who are out in force. Compare like for like.

If you’re not out for a peeing contest ... why not just accept people who want to buy a iMac Pro will buy one.
Even the ryzen would most likely be a suitable alternative at lesser cost.
i thought you weren’t out to win a peeing contest.

Perhaps you should tell that t9 the 10s thousands on people who buy Dell and HP workstations each year too!

Yes, last time I walked around Industrial Light and Magic they had a hacked up collection of homebrew Hackintoshes and Dells held together with duct tape to fit extra memory in and using fishtanks for cooling.

Oh no, that’s right. They had off the shelf Macs......

You're in for an even bigger surprise when you start speccing a Porsche 911. And when you've finished you will have a car that can't accelerate as well as a Golf R (which costs a third of the price) particularly in the wet. It won't get you home any quicker or safer. It will be much less practical, less fuel efficient, cost a fortune to insure and lose way more money over the first few years of ownership.

Still, if I had the money, I know which one I'd buy. Every time. :D

Yes, last time I walked around Industrial Light and Magic they had a hacked up collection of homebrew Hackintoshes and Dells held together with duct tape to fit extra memory in and using fishtanks for cooling.

Oh no, that’s right. They had off the shelf Macs......
Really? when did they ditch the IBM blades?

Back