weekly Ratman's 52 week challange 2012 Week 10 'Win' Added MONEY NOW ADDED :)

Well done Roly you've made a cracking start, I love your take on the theme of Direction and I wish you all the best. And for me the Fear edit looks much better, your son really stands out from the background and I think it fits the theme, nice take on it. Keep it up!

Once again thanks for all the comments and discussion especially on the fear theme :)

Wouldn't expect too much from me this week, got four ideas at the moment just not sure they are going to work....

Great start to your 52 the B&W works well with the fear theme I also think the young lad should go into acting well done.

Right a bit of a toughie this week with Sigh and to be honest after all the nice feedback I have recieved I felt the pressure this week.

As soon as I read the theme an idea popped into my melon and I couldn't shrug it off.

After a couple of weeks of pretty heavy themes for my photos I thought it was time I lightenen the mood a little...

Sigh of Relief....

tywee by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

But I thought I would include a photo I took a while back of my son that I have been trying to recreate this week without much joy, which to me anyway has captured the theme perfectly, no matter what we did I couldn't improve on this image and to this day it is one of my favorite pictures and one of the firs tever photos I took when getting into photography.

TJ Sigh by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

I've not looked at great detail to many on here this week as most people appreciate it, this week is really hard and still struggling to come to an idea of what to do. But I have to admit these are spot in for me I believe you have captured what I believe is the meaning of sigh especially the first one well done Roly

Hi Roly,

Great start to the 52's and your new direction in life. I quit smoking back in April 2011, i found the first few weeks the hardest but you get through it mate.

Good Luck

Matt

Direction : A good and different interpretation to the theme. The mono works great for this. I like it... Good luck

Fear: Of the two, I think the second works better... the first, the object (your arm ??) isn't clear enough to indicate the stance to my mind. The second is on theme and clear. Good use of DOF and I think Mono suits perfectly.

Sigh : Unusual.... I can imagine the sigh of relief though. Lovely second image.

I like the first sigh shot, but wonder if a different angle and an obvious sigh of relief might have worked better? I have the picture in my head but can't explain it!

Picture 2 is fantastic!

Thanks for the comments guy's, a very difficult theme this week and I didn't really get what I wanted so this is a candidate for a retake later on :)

Sigh made me laugh... I can hear it in my head... The second shot is a fabulous image.

Great idea for the theme, made me laugh and too add you have a photo to tease him with when he is older. As said the second picture you posted fits the theme perfectly.

Here we go then, I have avoided this section on purpose to try and not get influenced by others photos.

Sweet (too much) was sitting around my Dad's trying to think of something different to post for the theme this week when he checked his blood sugar level and gave himself some Insulin.

Cheers Dad, job done...lol

TP Week 4 - (Too) Sweet by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

Last edited:
Roly 'sweet' great concept and works well for the theme. Nice to see something other than sweets but I can't complain as I was one of them !

Had a tidy up on Flickr the other night ad must of deleted it by accident lol.

Will put it back up when I get home this evening.

Hi Roly

Sigh....2 great takes on the theme...#2 has it for me...great expression & hits the theme bang on :clap:

Sorry all, have put it back up as it wasn't actually on flickr. Must of deleted in the other night whilst tidying up...

Agree with Goblin's comments with regards to retaking with less of the handle on show, did try to get the needle itself in focus as well but that resulted in something else OOF.

Will probably reshoot at some point in daylight to get a better aperture, but time is running out on me again this week :)

Thanks for all you're comments so far, they really are helping

Sorry I've not been back sooner;

Fear: No.2 is the better one for me, it is a horrible image that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up; but nice. ( I hope you know what I mean) A good interpretation and a good execution.

Sigh: Like the idea and the sigh of relief is there for all to see.

Sweet: That’s a new take on it. I like the idea, but I too would like more of the syringe and needle but less handle in shot.

Thanks for the comments guy's and gal's. Think I will use a reshoot card with the Sweet photo at some point, just wanted to do something different but I just kept thinking about jelly babies...

This week for secure I thought I would take my camera into work for the night, this is the flight deck of a Boeing 757, a few millions dollars worth of aircraft. Always tickled me that in amongst all that technology you still can't beat a simple plastic flapper for the cabin secure placard.

Taken at night I had to use ISO 3200 to get a shutter speed that I could hand hold whilst sitting on the flight deck floor, would of liked to got more of the throttle quadrant in or the yoke but it took the attention away from the cabin secure placard.

TP Week 5 - Secure by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

cabinsecure2 by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

No you're not imagining things, the placard wouldn't fit in the second shot so I moved it :)

As always thank you for the comments, agree that number 1 is the better photo. I only included it as I knew someone would say they would like to see more of the flight controls so included both versions :)

Marsha, really don't know how you guys do air traffic, especially during the summer months. I find it hard enough keeping up with the aircraft I'm working on..lol

Back