weekly mtjhome's 52 Photos for 2012 - BUSY added. Hooray! - Made it to the end!!

Like the padlock with good rust colours but think the DOF needed to come in front a bit more as that one link seems so OOF compared to everything else

Hi Mike

Padlock...like the colors , right on theme , possibly but not definately a little more in focus on the right chain link but , no , really like it (y)

Many thanks for comments.
I agree about the focus issue with the padlock. The padlock itself is sharply in focus but the chain is distracting. So I think it is a DOF issue not a point of focus one. Shot was taken at F3.5 using 50mm F1.8 Prime. I should have used a smaller aperture. My 'excuse' is that my energy went into trying to get a reasonable composition. No excuse I know - I should have been doing BOTH.

For me this a good example of what a good job this challenge does of helping to improve ones photography.

mtjhome said:
Hi Marsha - I am using picasaweb for my photos. To be honest, its not that great and I am working to regain access to my Flickr account.

Ok thanks. I need to get to grips with Flickr, I always seem to make it difficult when I use it!

Hi Mike, I'm still playing catch up with other threads so apologies for not spotting yours earlier.

Direction - I like the first image of the two. Great take on the theme and as others have pointed out, just a shame on the blown out sky.

Fear - Definitely the barbed wire shots for me, like the processing on them too, and the mono tree shot is a little belter too.

Sigh - I understand where your coming from in your description of the tree, without that it wouldn't scream out sigh to me. But the beer and glass certainly does, very nice shot.

Sweet - Brilliant shot, excellent dof and wonderful colours too.

Secure - The eggs are spot on, nicely lit, just need straightening up but that's being picky. Like the padlock shot and the hand shot is really effective.

Prefer the padlock to the hand theme-wise, little oof issue but overall a good representation.

I like your egg pic its a great idea but I would of liked it to have not been cropped quite as tightly.

I also like the padlock photo, others have said about the DOF but I can see past that as the detail in the rust is great!

Week 4 'Sweet'

IMG_1049s2.jpg

Love this, no idea what they are but they do look sweet.
Great use of depth of field and the colours are very deep too!

(y)

2nd visit this week. Looks like you have been busy. I really like the padlock and chan and the tonal range. (y)

Nick

love both the hand and the eggs :clap:

I like your main image for industry Mike but feel it just needs a little PP work to lift it (no pun intended).
There is a lot of detail in the hook which could possibly be brought out with a desaturation and contrast boost. Do you have any with a shallower depth of field to isolate the hook from the background?
Isn't it always the way though when you think, ha! got this theme nailed only to find it a wee bit more difficult than first imagined? Good work overall though (y) iain

Looks like you found plenty industrial stuff to photograph Mike, the hook looks menacing. ;)

Hi Mike i had a week like that last week, and was just thankfull i had posted a shot rather than saying sod it, FWIW i also think there is some real potential in the second hook one you posted as an object its really interesting, the colours really stand out, its already been said that a shallower DOF would probably have made this, But i also like the stainless bar things it appears like they're really evenly staggered, and i would have liked to have perhaps seen a wider shot from a lower perspective

Hi Mike
Plenty of industry there, including yours at getting around so much(y). I like the stainless steel bars thingies too. They look so clean and regular and industrial whilst being a bit abstract as well.

Hook looks good in its larger form but maybe a bit too cropped top and bottom?:thinking:

I like the hook picture, think it works well for the theme. Only niggle from me is that I would have preferred the background to be slightly more blurred to bring more focus to the hook (But that maybe my macro low DOF side coming out, as I do like blurry backgrounds)

Thanks for the comments guys...

Hi Mike
Hook looks good in its larger form but maybe a bit too cropped top and bottom?:thinking:
Unfortunately not a PP crop!

Now that looks like one mean hook! I like it but maybe a wider shot to give it some scale would help so you can see what it's lifting.
Take your point about the wider shot - but then the hook itself wouldn't have dominated the frame...

Mike

I like the crane hook, the other two don't move me though.

Hi Mike

of the images posted it's the Hook for me....you've got nice detail in it& love the POV (y) Maybe a slightly wider crop to get the top bit in , DOF has been mentioned but yeah...liking it (y)

Yes I agree about both crop and DOF.
My excuse - Was the best I could do with my P&S.
I'm an opportunist photographer - always have a camera with me. I'm loving the 52 photo challenge - it means I have a theme nagging away at the back of my mind wherever I go. At least up until the point I have nominated my pic of the week. Perhaps that also explains my 'failure' shots that I have been sharing.

Wow someone had a fair few ideas this week eh :)

Really like the hook photo as well, would liked a more OOF background though (just read your comments on P&S) maybe tempted to have a tweek on the saturation levels to see if those colours can pop a little more.

On the whole I like it alot, good work :)

I love that. I wonder if a shallower DoF would have been better, to blur the roof, but it'd be difficult to achieve I think.

Well, I had a fantastic walk in the woods in the snow and in the sunshine. From the moment it was announced, I knew my shot was going to be a 'boring' pic of tree roots. Anyway I took lots of shots, the one above is probably the one with most artistic merit, but for me that isn't really the point. This challenge took me outside into the countryside, having a wonderful time and thinking about photography at the same time. It is amazing how one's view of the world changes when you have a theme nagging away in the back of your mind!

I find that with photography in general, I have so many more mini interests now all due to my camera.

Not quite sure how I'm going to attempt something a bit different for this weeks theme, think we're going to see plenty of trees so well done for getting in early.

At least you had some snow to make it interesting, not got any where I live.

Nice photo though and obviously bang on theme :)

This challenge took me outside into the countryside, having a wonderful time and thinking about photography at the same time. It is amazing how one's view of the world changes when you have a theme nagging away in the back of your mind!

Down by the river and the estuary for me today and it is good to be out and about and looking at what really matters. The snow adds a great deal to this shot, nice take.

Ok, so this is almost identical to the shot I had in mind! Except you've succeeded where I failed:bonk: I trekked out with a 3 year old in tow (obviously hubby's idea) couldn't find anywhere near enough to park and everywhere included crossing a busy road:bang: I'm back to the drawing board now!

I like this shot, gentle sunlight leads you through past the tree roots, nice white snow with the trees framing everything:clap:

I like your padlock shot for secure. To the point and unambiguous. I think a little more dof to bring the top of the link into focus would be good, but I'm being picky there. (assuming you shot from about 600mm away, my calculator says you'd only get almost 18mm in focus at f3.5)
Your crane hook is great. Lovely image.
Root. Another nice image. The timing of the snow really worked in your favour.

Last edited:
Love the large hook and the shadows on the root image. Here is how I got the star burst! Cheers Mandy

Hi,

I'm using my D300 and pushed the settings to f22 - this is the magic number for creating star bursts. I tend to take these shots whenever I see them. The tree was completely underexposed and I'd intended to merge two exposures in photoshop, but had to rush out last night. I pulled back some exposure by using the gradient tool in Lightroom and topped up with fillflash; I think the image lacks contrast and might have a play with it later when I'm on the computer!

Thanks Mandy

Nice shot! I like the line of sunlight down the centre of the frame :)

Back