weekly Treehugger81 - 2012 - 52 Week Challenge - Week 8 - Money (added late)

Hi Phil......finally found your thread again :wave:

Fear....yup , I'm not keen on the dark & that image is the stuff of nightmares as I image something/someone nasty lurking out there ! Think all crits been mentioned so just a (y) form me

Sigh....lovely subject & great outside the box thinking...bit more space to the left probably....prefer the 2nd image for the light on the hull & the frost on the ground...realy good capture :clap:

Sweet...OMG...what a fab idea :clap: Love it...#1 being my fave...nicely set out , great colors & lovely black b/g to set it all of...really reallly love it (y)

Another vote for #4 from me Phil. I like the thought that has obviously been put into this set Phil, I like the creativity involved. Good work, keep it going (y) Iain

Sweet - Great colours! I like that you put so much effort into this (unlike myself, who went out and bought my sweets!) and it turned out really well too. My favourite has got to be #4, but I think all of them are good.

Love all your captures for Sweet Phil, although 3 and 4 are my personal favourites. Fantastic colours and good use of DoF, looking forward to seeing week 5!

Sigh - I recognise this wreck. I took a shot of this a few months back. It seems to have been there forever - I'm sure I remember it from about 20 years ago. It's somewhere with quite a busy background so prefer #1.

Sweet - Great thinking. Well worth the effort of colouring the sugar.

No.1 for me, but a great set of bright and appealing images!

Phil

bensambrook said:
Love all your captures for Sweet Phil, although 3 and 4 are my personal favourites. Fantastic colours and good use of DoF, looking forward to seeing week 5!

Thanks for the comments Ben. I've taken some shots for week 5 but haven't had chance to look through them yet. Hope they are passable because I'm out of ideas for this one :bang:

Delta Skies said:
Sigh - I recognise this wreck. I took a shot of this a few months back. It seems to have been there forever - I'm sure I remember it from about 20 years ago. It's somewhere with quite a busy background so prefer #1.

Sweet - Great thinking. Well worth the effort of colouring the sugar.

The boat does look like its been there quite some time. Will probably go back and take some more shots and try and see if I can't do something about the background.

Thanks for your comments.

philthejuggler said:
No.1 for me, but a great set of bright and appealing images!

Phil

Cheers Phil.

I'm way behind on both my own and looking at others so I'm playing catchup :(

Sigh - I like both shots, certainly evokes a sigh in me when seeing old boats rotting away :-(

Sweet, unusual take (he says when he's not shot his yet) but I like it.

Of the 4 shots the 4th is my favourite as it's got the best composition balanced with depth of field, well done!

Week 5 here goes!!!

In a former life I was a tree surgeon, not for long as I'm not crazy enough to be doing it day in, day out but i did do it for about 2 years. This theme instantly gave me the idea of feeling safe and secure whilst bouncing around a tree.

MG_34472.jpg

This was taken on what I felt was quite a rushed session as my other half didn't look like he was enjoying himself hanging from a tree as I faffed about trying to get a good shot. lol. I think it fits the theme well and is a good interpretation of what I wanted to show, it just seems a little boring to me so....... I had another idea :bonk:

MG_35752.jpg

Again its tree related :shrug: but i thought what could be more secure than a tree anchored into the ground by its roots. I had to have another go at light painting and I really like the way this one turned out. What do you guys think????

Last edited:
Just visiting your thread for the first time, there are some lovely photos here but your sweet ones are AMAZING! I love all of them but the lighting in number one steals it. My biggest question is how did you colour the sugar?

Secure is good, number one is better, nice DOF with the tree blurry in the background. I think two is too dark although I like the idea, perhaps a daylight shot would work better?

The goblin said:
Just visiting your thread for the first time, there are some lovely photos here but your sweet ones are AMAZING! I love all of them but the lighting in number one steals it. My biggest question is how did you colour the sugar?

Secure is good, number one is better, nice DOF with the tree blurry in the background. I think two is too dark although I like the idea, perhaps a daylight shot would work better?

Thanks for commenting marsha. The sugar took about 3 hours to do :bang: I had to put some sugar in a plastic bag and then add a few drops of food colouring, mix it about a bit and then dry it in the oven for a few minutes. I then repeated it 3 or 4 times to get the vibrant colours. Too much food colouring at once and the sugar would have started to dissolve. A real pain to do but I think the effort was worth it from the comments I recieved.

Thanks again for commenting.

Last edited:
Another couple of good takes on the theme from you tis week Phil, #2 might be a little dark but I'm on my work PC and the screen isnt great.

Like the persoanl take on the them with #1 and the thinking behind #2, very orginal :)

Rolyratman said:
Another couple of good takes on the theme from you tis week Phil, #2 might be a little dark but I'm on my work PC and the screen isnt great.

Like the persoanl take on the them with #1 and the thinking behind #2, very orginal :)

Cheers roly, somebody else has pointed that out. It looks pretty dark on my phone but on my mac at home it looks pretty good. :shrug:

Thanks for popping by.

Hi Phil,

I like your ropework and it definitely looks 'secure' double bowline (?) and figure of eight knot thats pretty secure. Now I know why you call yourself 'Treehugger' ! (y)

Nick

Hi Phil, like both takes on secure, but 1 pips it for me, i think there is plenty of interest in it, and both the clasped hands and robes say secure

Fantastic sweet set. Lovely colours and composition. I like them all.
The secure pair are good too; I'd go for the tree myself. It looks like a real sturdy piece of wood and most definitely secure. :)

Treehugger81 said:
The sugar took about 3 hours to do :bang: I had to put some sugar in a plastic bag and then add a few drops of food colouring, mix it about a bit and then dry it in the oven for a few minutes. I then repeated it 3 or 4 times to get the vibrant colours. Too much food colouring at once and the sugar would have started to dissolve. A real pain to do but I think the effort was worth it from the comments I recieved.
Wow that's dedication but definitely worth the effort. I'll have to remember this trick for my cake baking/ decorating!!!

lizzy23 said:
Hi Phil, like both takes on secure, but 1 pips it for me, i think there is plenty of interest in it, and both the clasped hands and robes say secure

Hi Liz, thanks for your comments.

Donnie said:
I think that the first of the 2 Secure images is right on theme though I would have liked to see whole hands, I know you have to crop somewhere but just below the wrists I think could have added a lot more to the story of the image.

Cheers for the comments Paul. I did crop
it so I will post an edit and see how it looks.

St-ephen said:
Fantastic sweet set. Lovely colours and composition. I like them all.
The secure pair are good too; I'd go for the tree myself. It looks like a real sturdy piece of wood and most definitely secure. :)

Thanks for commenting much appreciated.

liking both shots - roots was one I also thought of, but didn't have enough time this week :clap:

Hi Phil
I have looked at your thread before but for some reason have failed to comment - don't know why as I was really taken with your idea, composition and lighting of the Sweet pics.

Secure - like #1 best as i think more on theme, brighter and a better image. More view of the hands, down to say the cuffs, would have improved the theme i think.

Hi Phil

really like both your shots for secure

Great color in the #1 & right on theme , the hands grasping the metal thingy(caribiner?) add to the secure feeling :clap:

That tree is amazing...saw a similar one on my way home one evening but glad I didn't shot it as it's now where near as impressive as yours ...love the lighting as well :clap:

Hi Phil
I have looked at your thread before but for some reason have failed to comment - don't know why as I was really taken with your idea, composition and lighting of the Sweet pics.

Secure - like #1 best as i think more on theme, brighter and a better image. More view of the hands, down to say the cuffs, would have improved the theme i think.

Thanks for your comments alan much appreciated.

Hi Phil

really like both your shots for secure

Great color in the #1 & right on theme , the hands grasping the metal thingy(caribiner?) add to the secure feeling :clap:

That tree is amazing...saw a similar one on my way home one evening but glad I didn't shot it as it's now where near as impressive as yours ...love the lighting as well :clap:

Thanks lynne, after having the idea for the tree roots this is the first tree that came to mind, I've walked past it a lot and stuff like that just sticks in my head. I was quite pleased with the results. Thankyou. (y)

Week 6. At first I thought that this would be an easy week, how wrong was I!!! There isn't much in the way of heavy industry around my way (Blackpool) and I toyed with the idea of the tourism industry but my idea didn't come out the way I had imagined. Luckily for me I had gone out a couple of days previous and taken a few shots of a cement works. I didn't think any of them would be any good, wrong again :bang:

MG_3626.jpg

I like the way that the fencing that i was taking the shot through creates the separate areas. Its a pity IMO that there isn't anything of much interest in the right hand side of the image, but I guess you can't have everything. At least I got some sort of shot. Comments and critique are more than welcome as usual. I've been slacking a bit on commenting on others so I shall make the effort this week. Gives me something to do whilst I'm off work.

The fencing adds a different perspective to your image Phil. It is like a tritych with its different sections, a creative and unusual composition, well spotted (y) Iain

Back