weekly mtjhome's 52 Photos for 2012 - BUSY added. Hooray! - Made it to the end!!

It does have the look of a giant chicken leg lying in the snow. Well spotted. ;)

Hi mike not popped in to your thread before, looks like you've also had a good start to the challenge. my favourite of yours is the crane hook for industry. It's big and bold, and a right on theme. Good job (y)

Good shot Mike you have exposed it really well for the snow and a bit of detail in the shadows.

Handmade. Well, from the start I knew I wanted to photograph this chair.
It is a classic Windsor chair and was hand made by craftsmen about 5 years ago.

IMG_3420a.jpg

I thought it was going to be easy. Ha Ha...
These things never seem to work out that way.
Taken first thing this morning in natural light.

Last edited:
Really like the way you've shot this Mike and the way the grain runs with the shape of the arm too. ;)

That's a cracking shot. Well lit, great DoF, love the form and lines, well done!

Wow. Just wow!

Lovely shot, you wouldn't know it was a chair from the picture itself but it's completely irrelevant as it oozes a handmade, quality feel.

Great lighting, colours and depth of field. Composition is great too with the wood coming up from the bottom corner across the image.

Agree with others, sure is quality subject and well shot. Looks like a scratch on the forward part of the arm, just stands out unfortunately

Looks like a scratch on the forward part of the arm, just stands out unfortunately

I think it's a scribed construction line that the craftsman went a little too deep with. To me it adds to the handmade feel; it's less clinically machine made that way :)

Agree with others, sure is quality subject and well shot. Looks like a scratch on the forward part of the arm, just stands out unfortunately

I think it's a scribed construction line that the craftsman went a little too deep with.

Well I have looked long and hard at the chair with an eyepiece.
In conclusion, I think you are right Southdowns. I tried to macro photo to show here, but my skills are not up to scratch (ha ha).
It would be pretty easy to remove with photoshop - but I'm going to leave it there - a warts and all shot!

Hi Phil, Gramps, Joe, Alby, Richard, Darren, Marsha, Mark, Paul, John, Mark and Michael.
Many thanks for all your kind comments.
Interesting how something so simple has turned out to be very effective.
Thanks especially for the comments relating to DOF - I have learned a lesson from my Padlock shot where the DOF was too shallow.
Cheers, Mike

mtjhome said:
Well I have looked long and hard at the chair with an eyepiece.
In conclusion, I think you are right Southdowns. I tried to macro photo to show here, but my skills are not up to scratch (ha ha).
It would be pretty easy to remove with photoshop - but I'm going to leave it there - a warts and all shot!
Some things are not meant to be removed from photos, it all adds to the character.

Absolutely Beautiful!
Stunning use of DoF, exposure spot on, clarity and sharpness the same! Flawless week if you ask me! Well done! :D

'Handmade' - very nice Mike, I picked up on the fact that the image is of the arms of a chair. I really like the grain, texture and symmetry. I think this is your best work todate (y)

Hi Mike, just playing catch up on a couple of your themes.

Industry

Overall a good collection, and bang on theme. I know where you're coming from when you feel that one theme you have an idea instantly and take numerous shot, only to feel disappointed with the outcome, but what you've shot certainly has potential :). I agree, the locks in the snow don't do anything for me either but the factory shots, with a slight change in composition, perpective and a shallower dof, have potential to be crackers.

Root

Cracking shot, bang on theme and you've captured the snow perfectly too, not always an easy thing to shoot.

Handmade

Another excellent shot, dof spot on, nice sharp image with lots of detail, and the colours are just wonderful (y)

No 2 - isolating the small part that has so much detail - just perfect :)

That's a wonderful shot - nice and sharp, great colours and real good dof - Spot on (y)

Lovely detail in the wood and dof. Nice abstract shot but you can still tell what it is.

Absolutely Beautiful!
Stunning use of DoF, exposure spot on, clarity and sharpness the same! Flawless week if you ask me! Well done! :D

'Handmade' - very nice Mike, I picked up on the fact that the image is of the arms of a chair. I really like the grain, texture and symmetry. I think this is your best work todate (y)

:plus1:

Will add the colours on this are stunning as is the DOF

Hi Mike

Handmade - stunning image. Super colours, focus, dof, lighting, point of view.(y)

Many thanks everybody for the positive comments. I was pleasantly surprised how well such a simple shot turned out.

Hi Mike, just playing catch up on a couple of your themes.

Industry

Overall a good collection, and bang on theme. I know where you're coming from when you feel that one theme you have an idea instantly and take numerous shot, only to feel disappointed with the outcome, but what you've shot certainly has potential :). I agree, the locks in the snow don't do anything for me either but the factory shots, with a slight change in composition, perpective and a shallower dof, have potential to be crackers.

Root

Cracking shot, bang on theme and you've captured the snow perfectly too, not always an easy thing to shoot.

Handmade

Another excellent shot, dof spot on, nice sharp image with lots of detail, and the colours are just wonderful (y)

Hi Simon, many thanks for the comments. Industry is certainly a good example of a photo from which I have learned something, and next time a similar opportunity comes up I will do a better job. Thinking DOF in particular. Mike

Well nothing says money more than HM treasury! Nice clean shot too.

As for the house, it totally screams money to me and a lot of it too! Living where I do my hubby & I drive through some villages going 'mmmmm, smell the money' so yes it's definitely on theme!

I'm torn though, with or without the boat? The boat and gently rippling water add foreground interest but does it distract from the house:thinking:

Back