weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

No 1 for me love the way you have done it couple of picky bits for me thou left image needs a bit more contrast on the ice cream pot, right image would have liked to have seen the bottom of the pot.
Love no 2 as well, poss. a bit blown on the middle label but see no background problems on my laptop. (y)

'Entrance' - I like the composition of the archway at Windsor Castle. I have to agree, it's a little over saturated for me, sort of faux HDR, or appears so on my monitor.

Nick (y)

Hi Marsha

I really like your image for Entrance....great shapes n shadows on the walls (y) Pity the sky wasn't more helpful but hey , it's what we get in this country .

Can see the potential for a bit of tone mapping to really bring out the dteail in the stone work or possibly convert to B&W which may also work well...hope you don't mind but I've borrowed it & am gonna a have play tomorrow evening :)

Really like your panorama for industry Marsha, thats only the second one I've seen in the 52's well done on the creativity ;) Iain

i like your entrance pic too it invites you in if you know what i mean

zeb said:
No 1 for me love the way you have done it couple of picky bits for me thou left image needs a bit more contrast on the ice cream pot, right image would have liked to have seen the bottom of the pot.

Cheers for the tips Trevor. I can never tell how much contrast is enough or not in editing!

Blank_Canvas said:
I have to agree, it's a little over saturated for me, sort of faux HDR, or appears so on my monitor.

I totally agree Nick! Not my finest editing but I'm still new at it! I've learnt a bit in the PP game!

Thanks DK, it was a grab shot trying to catch my hubby walking with the kids that didn't work well due to angry kids!

blondie606 said:
I really like your image for Entrance....great shapes n shadows on the walls (y) Pity the sky wasn't more helpful but hey , it's what we get in this country .

Can see the potential for a bit of tone mapping to really bring out the dteail in the stone work or possibly convert to B&W which may also work well...hope you don't mind but I've borrowed it & am gonna a have play tomorrow evening :)
My fault for shooting at lunch time! But there have been amazing things done to the sky in the PP game.

Feel free to play away(y) if you go to this linky and go back a page or so you'll find a link to download the full raw image!

Hi Marsha, There is nothing wrong in taking it a little early (I just wish I could have seen into the future as well!!)

I like the way it invites you in to investigate whats happening round the corner. I agree with the above comments about the lighting but it looked a tricky one to get with the shadow and bright sky!!

Hi Marsha. I like your entrance shot as an image, but somehow it says exit to me, probably because the camera is on the dark side of the arch; dark says inside to me while light says outside, hence exit. I can't help thinking "should have been shot from the other side" every time I look at it!

But that's not to detract from the photography, which is very very good given the contrasty conditions, just the theme interpretation :)

Yes I think this works you have controlled the exposure really well along the wall into the bright sun, shadows work well you have the gate there so it’s saying enter.
Agree with the others about the processing top left.

Nice clean shot of the entrance, we'll let you off for using an earlier pic :D

I like it :clap: pp suits it too

Good composition for the entrance shot but the inner arch looks over sharpened to me and the exterior brickwork is overexposed. I guess its quite a contrasty shot shooting from inside like that and would certainly be difficult to get spot on without a tripod and bracketing then merging in something like photoshop.

Doh, I didn't realise I hadn't answered a load of comments on my own thread:bonk:

*Sarah* said:
Hi Marsha, There is nothing wrong in taking it a little early (I just wish I could have seen into the future as well!!)

I wish I could, then I'd be a millionaire too;)

Thanks for dropping in.

Southdowns said:
Hi Marsha. I like your entrance shot as an image, but somehow it says exit to me, probably because the camera is on the dark side of the arch; dark says inside to me while light says outside, hence exit. I can't help thinking "should have been shot from the other side" every time I look at it!

We'd been through the arch which takes you away from the castle, this direction was us coming back in so it is on theme, but I get what your saying.

Southdowns said:
But that's not to detract from the photography, which is very very good given the contrasty conditions,

zeb said:
Yes I think this works you have controlled the exposure really well along the wall into the bright sun, shadows work well you have the gate there so it’s saying enter.

Thank you Mark & Trevor. This was a total grab shot too as I was trying to catch my hubby walking with the kids, but they ran off too quickly and I cut them in half! They were edited out in PP!!!

Mandy, Gramps and Summer thank you for the kind comments.

Donnie said:
Good composition for the entrance shot but the inner arch looks over sharpened to me and the exterior brickwork is overexposed. I guess its quite a contrasty shot shooting from inside like that and would certainly be difficult to get spot on without a tripod and bracketing then merging in something like photoshop.

Cheers Paul. I do intend another attempt at editing this shot when I get a chance. Next time I go somewhere like this it'll be minus kids and I'll take the tripod instead! At least I'll get lunch in peace!!!

Well I'm slowly catching up on other peoples threads, still not visited any new ones yet! I need more hours in the day:nuts:

Hi Marsha

Entrance - . Looks a difficult shot to expose well. The sky looks a bit washed out, as does the far tower, whereas the door to left and wall to right look well exposed. The underside of the arch looks very grainy in the pic. But I think that it is a very good subject for theme and well composed with the open gate and the curve in the wall.(y)

Cheers Robert.

The sky looks a bit washed out
No, it was completely washed out, I took this at lunch time so the lighting was rubbish, but I was chasing kids so not much choice! I have tried editing it, but have seen better attempts, when I get two spare minutes I will have another go!

Sorry everyone, still struggling to get around to everyone:help::puke::nuts:

Just uploading soft now, better late than never!

So I've lost a little enthusiasm for my 52 and had to have a word with myself! It has reappeared but no real spare time to snap much this week.

As Easter Monday was a drenched washout we did what all parents do and drag the kids to a petting farm in the rain:wacky:
There was a tractor ride, so off we went and bumped into this fine young man, his antlers were all new and soft!

F5.6, 1/320 sec, ISO 400, 100mm macro.

The tractor driver wouldn't stop until this guy had the most annoying tracks in the BG! But I liked how he was looking towards me.
But then I think he realised the camera was on so posed for a minute! Due to the tractor and other deer, I couldn't do much with the composition!

F5.6, 1/25 sec, ISO 400, 100mm macro.
This is actually a different shot, but converted to B&W and sharpened for texture. I wasn't sure which was the best way to crop him?

F5.6, 1/200 sec, ISO 400, 100mm macro.

All C&C welcome as ever:)

Last edited:
He does look soft, not sure I'd want to call him that to his face though :D...

I really rather like the mono version... I have to say, that's my fave. I think the composition is the better of the last 2. What does the first look given a mono treatment, does it help hide the track in the BG ??

Me again

Soft - that's a very good idea for the theme.

I prefer the coloured ones although the mono seems to highlight the softness of the horns a bit more. I like pose #2 and would consider 'straightening' it so that head was not at an angle and then cropping in a bit tighter - maybe a square - to highlight the softness. Don't know if it would work.

I am sure we will all experience a lack of enthusiasm at some time or another through this 52 Marsha, just look on it as it was your turn ;)

I do like your take on this weeks theme, #1 getting my vote!
The tracks don't bother me at all Marsha, the eye contact from the creature holds my eye and they dont really go beyond the focal point.
#2 and #3 are good too, you've handled the mono conversion well.

Good work all round and glad your mojo has returned :woot:

Here's hoping for a good theme for this week. Iain

Hiya, great image - love the focus and colours! Ideally the tracks wouldn't be in the background, but as an outdoor image, that's what we expect :) I'm sure the Easter hols are slowing you down, wait till the kids get back to school & I'm sure you'll find your mojo again! Mandy

John he was actually a softie in general, we fed him and he just slobbered away gently licking the food out of our hands! If I get a chance today I'll convert this to mono to see what it looks like.

superpippo said:
I like pose #2 and would consider 'straightening' it so that head was not at an angle and then cropping in a bit tighter - maybe a square - to highlight the softness. Don't know if it would work.

Oops I forgot we're all 'straight' junkies on here! This actually is straight, he's just leaning back a bit!
I'll try another crop and see what it looks like.

Cheers for the comments.

blakester said:
I am sure we will all experience a lack of enthusiasm at some time or another through this 52 Marsha, just look on it as it was your turn ;)

Good work all round and glad your mojo has returned :woot:

Here's hoping for a good theme for this week. Iain

Yes, yes & yes :agree:

Although I think my lens buying/ swapping addiction has helped my mojo return as I have some new glass to try out this week:nuts:

Last edited:
Good morning Marsha, seem to have missed your entrance, i like the fact that the shadow in the tunnel leads you out in to the light, good job with a tricky exposure

Soft - i like the first one, hadn't noticed the tracks until you mentioned them, you've managed to fill the frame with him very well

manda said:
Hiya, great image - love the focus and colours! Ideally the tracks wouldn't be in the background, but as an outdoor image, that's what we expect :)

Cheers, I had the perfect shot but the tractor was wobbling all over the place:bonk:

manda said:
I'm sure the Easter hols are slowing you down, wait till the kids get back to school & I'm sure you'll find your mojo again! Mandy

Alas my midgets haven't been off for the Easter hols apart from the long weekend! We're actually off from today for two weeks, so that'll be fun!

Oh dear Marsha. Oh dear oh dear oh dear! (get it?)!

I love those. Number two is best I think; less distraction in the background, lovely angle to the head, and rule of thirds working to your advantage. Brilliant!

The B&W doesn't suit this one IMHO; I love the colour of his coat, so why lose it?

Southdowns said:
Oh dear Marsha. Oh dear oh dear oh dear! (get it?)!
Oh dear indeed:LOL:

Southdowns said:
I love those. Number two is best I think; less distraction in the background, lovely angle to the head, and rule of thirds working to your advantage. Brilliant!
Swells with pride! Now if only I could photograph myself:thinking:

Thanks Mark & Michael. Now do you think anyone would notice if I quickly re-label him as proud:thinking::naughty:

Vice – Great triptych. Nice bright colours.

Entrance – I’m with Michael – it needs a bit of a straighten and I’m less keen on the pp’ing in the top corner.

Soft - #1 is my favourite - the composition is really nice. I reckon you could get away with cloning the tracks out of the image. Good thinking on the theme.

Last edited:
Delta Skies said:
Vice – Great triptych. Nice bright colours.

Entrance – I’m with Michael – it needs a bit of a straighten and I’m less keen on the pp’ing in the top corner.

Soft - #1 is my favourite - the composition is really nice. I reckon you could get away with cloning the tracks out of the image. Good thinking on the theme.

Thanks Peter, I do still plan a re-edit on my entrance shot. While I'm at it I may try and clone out those tyre tracks.

I'm still in this, just on holiday enjoying VERY VERY wet Filey and puking kids:puke::nuts: I'm working on my pride shot though and trying to keep up here.

Hi Marsha

of the 3 images for soft....I'm going with #2...simply because the eye's are pin sharp & I love his pose... you've caught the textures in his coat & antlers really well....very soft looking indeed ...glad your mojo's back.....new kit generally perks you up :clap:

glad your mojo's back.....new kit generally perks you up :clap:
It certainly does Lynne! Even though my holiday has been a waterlogged week of rain and flat grey sky I've taken my camera out every day, except today so obviously I see the perfect subject for 'pride'!

I feel no explanation is needed here:

Shot and edited on my iPhone using an app called Snapseed. Due to it being bloody freezing and chasing family this was a one chance shot! Also my battery died:bonk:
I have cropped it to eliminate clutter , added a little blur and a border for the same reason, mostly a hideous green wheely bin bottom right!
I still have other ideas for this weeks theme that I want to sort out once I'm home.

C&C always welcome.

And well done to everyone for still being here(y)

Last edited:
Yep definitely says pride to me Marsha, you're quite correct, no explanation required.

I like the effect the app thingy (technical term:)) has given your photograph, it suits the subject, I see the blur around the edge almost like water so its quite appt (see what I done there? :D)

I like the symmetry of the image, there is something quite appealing about it, some niggle but you've just clipped one of the bumpers?? (another technical term :)) on the rhs. It is minor and takes nothing away from the image for me.

Isn't that just the way it goes, leaving the camera at home when a shot presents itself? You've done well regardless (y) Iain

Good subject Marsha, bit of a tight crop for me, I would have liked to see more but still good (y)

Back