weekly Carol's 52 for 2012 Week 21 Random added

:Hi Carol

Entrance - super shot. well spotted and a differnet take on the theme. good colours and the reflections add to the feel(y)

Soft - superb. Composition I like a lot .(y)

I like the focus and the muted neutral background. (y)

What lovely colours you have captured - soft petals, soft form, soft dappled light. You have excelled in my view. And you had a nice afternoon - double bonus(y)

Wow three thumbs up for soft! Did not expect that Alan......You've made my day:D
I feel so much more confident going into week 16 now.
Thank you

Carol

Another stunner Carol; you're getting good at this! Perfect DoF and lighting, love it!

Carol soft is just spot on, the colours, lighting focus everything about it well done!!

Hi Carol. You think you're way behind with comments, this is the first opportunity I've had to even look at other 52's.
I think your take on Win is excellent as war memorials remember those who fought to keep our countries free from dictatorships. Just a shame teret will always be wars of some kind.
Shiny is a shot I like as this was my theme as well, great minds and all that.
Never really been into astronomy as the light in London obliterates a lot of the sky. Looking up at the heavens though is always magical and I like the way you have interpreted the theme. The diagonal framing makes this a real winner.
Entrance. Plain, simple and lighting all help to emphasize the entry. The boat pointing the way takes the eye to the subject. A great shot.
Soft. Another excellent shot, soft petals, soft lighting. I think the short DOF also brings the image alive. Well done

Lovely orchid shot, on theme and very pleasing (y)

Hi carol

with an image like that flower how can you even think about packing up....simply beautiful...colors, focus, framing....cracking image & another for framing me thinks :clap:

Last edited:
To Michael, Mark, Peter, Iain, Liz, John, Gramps, Marsha, Paul & Lynne, thanks very much for your lovely comments this week and for your support. I'm still here.....by the skin of my teeth but feeling really bad for not being as supportive to you all... but I do promise to remedy that this week.

So here's what I've come up with for this week's theme. The first thing that came to mind for Pride was the National Monument of Scotland on Calton Hill. It's also known as The Pride and Poverty of Scotland or Edinburgh's Shame. It is a memorial to Scottish soldiers who died in the Napoleonic Wars. Due to lack of funds the project was never completed. It's thought that Glasgow offered to cover the costs but Edinburgh was too proud to accept Glasgow's charity.

So here's my shot for this week... I admit that it's not one of my best but at least it keeps me in the game! ;)

Carol

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cazagee/6951173516/][/URL]

I think you underestimate that shot Carol. It's very nicely composed and exposed, and the conversion suits it very well; I think you show the monument off at its best :)

It might have been impossible, but it would have been nice with the monument framed between the branches, rather than with them over it - kind of feels like a step to the right might have helped - and the shadow from the other tower is a tiny shame, but those are very minor points I think.

I love the back story too; pride in both a positive and a negative way. Pride in the city's fallen sons, but too proud to accept help.

Fantastic!

Last edited:
I like your pride although I did need the story to go with it. Only negative is the shadow in the foreground, I guess you couldn't do much about it tho :)

the branches look great
:clap:

Hi Carol,

I really like your mono image of The Pride and Povery of Scotland. i have never seen it photographed from this angle. If i could only offer one comment it would be that the twigs overlapping the doric columns are a little distracting but I really do like it.

Nick

Southdowns said:
I love the back story too; pride in both a positive and a negative way. Pride in the city's fallen sons, but too proud to accept help.
:agree:

I think this is a great shot, mono really suits it(y) I'm undecided about the branches, they're lovely and sharp though! I agree that the shadow on the left is a bit distracting but like others have said probably not much you could do about that!
Is there a white halo effect around the pillars or is that me seeing things on my phone?

Hi Carol...

Soft = super shot...I need to get me a macro lens:)

Pride = fits the theme, have to say I do like mono's...

keep up the good work:)

Another beauty Carol (y)
The lovely back story really makes this comes to life. You are lucky to live near such photogenic buildings/monuments. You have really done this proud.
A few minor things have been mentioned but don't detract any from the photograph IMHO.
I think this would make a great subject for a series of photographs taken against different skys, sunrise/sunset and night time too. Iain

Have to agree Carol... an excellent interpretation and I like the shot.. the shadow in the foreground is a little distracting, but that's minor.

Hi Mark, Summer, Nick, Marsha, Neil, Iain, John & Alex,

The shot was taken from the steps leading to Nelson's Monument, that's what the shadow is, I couldn't move any more to the right but now I think about it I could have perhaps gone down a little lower so the branches were above the monument..... might give that a try next time I'm up Calton Hill. The branches and shadow did bug me so I tried a shot nearer, here it is....but I just don't like it!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cazagee/7097165121/][/URL]

Iain, yes I'm spoiled for choice here..... there are so many photographic opportunities. I have taken a few photos of the Monument at different times, the light there is constanly changing, at sunset it takes on a beautiful orange glow.

Thanks for all your comments.

Carol

Your original photograph is still the clear winner Carol.
It gives the monument perspective, contex, and scale. Your second one is still a good photograph in representing the monument but doesnt have the same impact IMHO. Iain

Your original photograph is still the clear winner Carol.
It gives the monument perspective, contex, and scale. Your second one is still a good photograph in representing the monument but doesnt have the same impact IMHO. Iain
Thanks Iain; I actually find this monument very difficult to photograph.
Think you've hit the nail on the head...it works so much better in context.

Carol

Hi Carol

I'm quite partial to Mono's for buildings & this is no exception....all crit's been mentioned so just a (y) from me.

Have to say I quite like the color veriosn as well.....just something doesn't seem quite right to me....almost looks the the sky's been pasted on...maybe it's the angle...or my eye's:LOL:

Either way , like them both & how much do I envy you living there ...may give you a call as hoping to get up to Edinburgh for a few days nearer to christmas (y)

Thanks Peter & Lynne,

Lynne, wish I had the skills to paste on the sky! lol Think you'll love Edinburgh, give me a shout if you come up..... I know a great coffee shop.

Well, would you believe it? I got something for this week theme already!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cazagee/7107547561/][/URL]

Life is short for a brolly in Edinburgh!

Carol :D

Good crop choice on this Carol.
Lots of lovely colour in there too, I think it needs a little contrast boost to really make the colours pop.
I think this tells a story, there are a few elements of detail in there which holds the viewers eye. The dof brings in the writing on top of the bin too.

Good work. Iain

Hi Carol...

another good shot..really good colours, I think any umbrella in the UK short lived at the moment:)

Hi, Carol, Pride, that's one cracking building and liking the story behind it.

Pity about the tree branches. They can be used to frame an photograph but seem to distract on this one. Sometimes a photograph cannot be taken. What I do like at the shadows at the bottom from the trees.

Short, good catch. I'd prefer to see the full bin, though.

Cheers.

lol not just Embra but everywhere too in this drought :LOL: love the shot, always like bright things in photos :clap:

Both Pride shots are good but the mono is the better for giving scale and a good conversion. The branches are a nuisance but do not spoil the shot.
Short - well caught and good colour. In this weather not many brolly's survive wherever you are. More black than colour in the south.

Back