weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

I agree about it being tight and maybe a bit dark but for a phone shot you've done really well. The RNLI is an organisation that the country should have a lot of pride in (hence on theme). I can't believe they have to survive though donations.

Cheers Ian and Gramps. I'd kept it tight to hide the green wheelie bin bottom right! Peter this was taken on a dank, grey, miserable morning in a dark shed so not great lighting! But my previous editing had darkened it to hide some of the clutter!

Here is a lighter wider version:

I also put this through an app called Colorsplash (for doing SC) but I used it to convert the red thing bottom left and the wheelie bin bottom right to a less conspicuous colour!!!

I was out in Whitby today and got a shot on my proper camera of the Whitby lifeboat in the water! I'll see what that looks like when I get home.

Short is still thwarting me!

Delta Skies said:
The RNLI is an organisation that the country should have a lot of pride in (hence on theme). I can't believe they have to survive though donations.

I know, it's totally bonkers! I've been winched onto a lifeboat by our SAR Wessex (many moons ago) in VERY rough water (I was a pretend casualty) They do an awesome job for a bunch of volunteers!

Yes! Thats the one Marsha (y)
Love the processing on this, the soft focus around the boat only serves to draw the viewers eye into the most important part. Iain

Well photographed, if a little cramped.

Andy do you mean the photo is too cramped as in too tightly cropped? This really is quite a boring 'snap' that has been helped with some PP! I can post the original shot and see what you think? I'm always after ideas to improve things.
Thanks for popping in:)

Cheers Michael. I still need to sort through my holiday images for my other lifeboat shot, but I think this is it for this theme!

Now on to short......

I was still wondering what to do for this week when I saw Rex and his short little arms lying on the floor. In Toy Story 2 he's playing the Buzz Lightyear game and he can't defeat the Evil Emperor Zurg as his arms are two short to operate the buttons on the game pad!

F8, 5sec on bulb, ISO 100, with my macro lens and some light painting.

I had a mare with the light painting, the 'trees' were too bright in one, shadows in the other, I couldn't get Rex exposed right or he was over exposed:bonk: so this is a combination of three images!

Oh and this guy is only about 5cm tall and the 'trees' are a plant!!!

Any C&C welcome.

Last edited:
Hi Marsha

Pride - Another good iPhone image, as said by others great symmetry, the pp does really suite the boat, great thought for the theme

<EDIT> the second shot opens it up nicely = vote form me on this one (y)

Short - The thought of the movie makes me laugh :LOL: I think something in the background or foreground to show the scale/size would be a nice touch to bring the theme over, but sounds like a lot of work went into this shot, a nice macro, lighting looks good to me, nice dof draws your eyes straight to Rex :)

Cheers DK.

Dark Knight said:
The thought of the movie makes me laugh :LOL: I think something in the background or foreground to show the scale/size would be a nice touch to bring the theme over, but sounds like a lot of work went into this shot,

They are such funny films!
Rex isn't supposed to be so tiny, so showing scale will be difficult :thinking: but I do agree with what your saying! I have (sorry my kids have) the Jessie, Woody and Buzz toys so I could try and shoot him against those? But you've given me another idea, I'll see if I can do it tomorrow.

Oh I did try shooting Rex outside in the grass, but due to lighting I went out on the sports field. Yup, I was that nutter lying on the ground in gale for e winds taking pictures of a teeny tiny toy:nuts:

Andy do you mean the photo is too cramped as in too tightly cropped? This really is quite a boring 'snap' that has been helped with some PP! I can post the original shot and see what you think? I'm always after ideas to improve things.
Thanks for popping in:)

Cheers Michael. I still need to sort through my holiday images for my other lifeboat shot, but I think this is it for this theme!

Now on to short......

Yeah, I would like to see the original...

Cheers...

Hi Marsha,

Playing catch up again, i hope you enjoyed your break in Whitby and captured some good stuff.

'Pride' - I love your second edit. Really good subject. Being a nation of seafarers the country has great affection for the RNLI. Just a thought but maybe you would consider sharing your image with the RNLI for fund raising - it's that good. The boat looks in pristine condition too. Photographically, I love your composition and PP

'Short' - Rex fit's the bill nicely, background a perhaps a tad dark but i'll have another look on Flicr. (y)

Nick

The goblin said:
It certainly does Lynne! Even though my holiday has been a waterlogged week of rain and flat grey sky I've taken my camera out every day, except today so obviously I see the perfect subject for 'pride'!

I feel no explanation is needed here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58189537@N02/6961531950/

Shot and edited on my iPhone using an app called Snapseed. Due to it being bloody freezing and chasing family this was a one chance shot! Also my battery died:bonk:
I have cropped it to eliminate clutter , added a little blur and a border for the same reason, mostly a hideous green wheely bin bottom right!
I still have other ideas for this weeks theme that I want to sort out once I'm home.

C&C always welcome.

And well done to everyone for still being here(y)

I was listening to a presentation about snapseed at Focus. I liked the PC version and cheap too :)

Great pride shot - shame you couldn't catch it launching :)

The people who volunteer and risk thier lives to save others are amazing.

I like the short arms. The expression on the face can't fail to make you smile. I'm not too worried about the dark areas as it draws the eye to the character but maybe the foot is a tad close to the border

Hi Marsha

Love the 2nd image for Pride....really like the processing , not quite so keen on the frame though :thinking: Spot on for the theme & as Nick said....maybe worth showing it to the RNLI (y)

Short....baffles me still as to how such a simple word can become such a pain to create an image around...:LOL: I struggled like mad , continually getting confused between short & small :eek:

Love the Toy Story films & liking that little character...very short arms indeed (y)

Blank_Canvas said:
'Pride' - I love your second edit. Really good subject. Being a nation of seafarers the country has great affection for the RNLI. Just a thought but maybe you would consider sharing your image with the RNLI for fund raising - it's that good. The boat looks in pristine condition too. Photographically, I love your composition and PP

Thanks Nick and what a great idea. Once I've edited my other shot I'll contact the RNLI, I'll let you know what happens.

Blank_Canvas said:
''Short' - Rex fit's the bill nicely, background a perhaps a tad dark but i'll have another look on Flicr.

I was going for the hiding in the trees look!

Thanks Michael.

DrRusty said:
I was listening to a presentation about snapseed at Focus. I liked the PC version and cheap too :)

Great pride shot - shame you couldn't catch it launching :)

I never knew there was a pc version! It's a great phone app, I'm quite pleased Apple gave it away for free at Christmas!

Delta Skies said:
I like the short arms. The expression on the face can't fail to make you smile. I'm not too worried about the dark areas as it draws the eye to the character but maybe the foot is a tad close to the border

Cheers Peter, I hadn't noticed how close his foot was!

blondie606 said:
Love the 2nd image for Pride....really like the processing , not quite so keen on the frame though :thinking: Spot on for the theme & as Nick said....maybe worth showing it to the RNLI

Thanks Lynne. If the RNLI are interested I'll probably send it without the frame.

As for short, I shot another picture today, it fits the 'short arms' story from Toy Story much better, I don't know why I didn't think of it before:bonk: I'll post it later when I've stopped being sociable and watching a film with my hubby!

Where do you get these ideas from!!:)

Sarah I was really struggling to think of something original for this theme when I found this chap lying on the floor! There are some advantages to kids leaving toys scattered everywhere!!!

Anyhow, after DK suggested I add something to show the scale I new exactly what I would do, why I never thought of this first time I don't know!!!

Short arms!

F6.3, 1/30 sec, ISO-400, 105mm.

I wanted to take a shot that didn't require any post editing to correct my boo boo's! So this only took me 40 attempts:bonk::nuts: Too much of the controller or not enough of it, I tried with a darker background but the buttons got lost so I stuck with this background which is my dining room table! But it was a fine line between the white wall creeping in or the edge of the table, doh!

All I have done PP is a slight sharpen, increase the saturation of Rex a little and tidy up the dirt around the crontroller's left thumb pad, also a very tiny levels tweak!

'Flight' - this shouldn't be too hard for you with all those resources at your disposal! looking forward to your submission this week :cool:

Marsha, i'm playing catch up this week, Pride, number 2 nicks its for me, short i think was a tough one, and your second one with the something to show the scale gets my vote

Hi Marsha...

Rex, one of my favourites in Toy Story, both nicely taken.....well done:)

when I found out this week is flight I immediately had an idea about one of my sons toys(also out of toy story), but as you say trying to capture it in flight, getting it in focus, lighting!!!! sounds tricky to me......think I might just take a pic of plane!!

Cheers Liz.

Neil I'm thinking Buzz Lightyear flying in the first film:D I look forward to your shot! Thanks for dropping in.

So I'm not cheating, but I'm just uploading a batch of photos from our mini air show last year to Flickr! Just thought I'd share them with you, I'll post a link shortly.

Thanks Mandy, I might struggle to get something decent in this rubbish weather! If the rain dares to stop I may try and shoot some red kites in flight. I've never really tried a proper shot, this theme is the perfect excuse to try something new!

Last edited:
I know, everyone is expecting photos of aircraft, but I have to TRY and photograph these too, after all they're as common as muck where I live!!!

A red kite.

F2.8, 1/1000 sec, ISO 100.

Not much editing done here, only a bit of a crop and a levels tweak to get some blue back into the sky. You can just see the rain clouds building again!

I will obviously be taking more photos this week, but I liked this so thought I'd share it!

C&C welcome.

Last edited:
Marsha,

When you said earlier you may have a go at photographing kites, I was expecting something plastic or fabric with a bit of sting attached to it. Ornithology has never been a subject I have excelled at. Memo to self must try harder....

Time to catch up again.
Entrance, soft and Pride all good shots especially the second lifeboat with the tinkering PP.
Short - again #2 as I feel this emphasises the short arms more, help cant reach.
Flight - nicely composed and silhouette shape just caught right.

At first glance I was a bit disappointed with your flight shot Marsha (looked a bit "ordinary"), but the more I look at it, the more I like it. Lovely sky, nice sharp, recognisable silhouette, and nice composition.

Last edited:
Cheers DK.

They are such funny films!
Rex isn't supposed to be so tiny, so showing scale will be difficult :thinking: but I do agree with what your saying! I have (sorry my kids have) the Jessie, Woody and Buzz toys so I could try and shoot him against those? But you've given me another idea, I'll see if I can do it tomorrow.

Oh I did try shooting Rex outside in the grass, but due to lighting I went out on the sports field. Yup, I was that nutter lying on the ground in gale for e winds taking pictures of a teeny tiny toy:nuts:
Sounds like me too :D

Ahhhh I understand what you mean about short now, thought you were referring to a short dinosaur toy but not showing a large object - silly me :bonk:

Having said that - I Sooooooo much prefer your edit, that looks great, much brighter, good colour and still effective dof (y) from me

Flight - I like that too... I think the silhouette of the Kite in the sky really helps show the freedom of flight - Nice one !!!

Last edited:
At first I wanted to see the classic shot with detail showing in the feathers but I actually like the loneliness of a bird in flight that this portrays.

It's a very different option Marsha, it has its appeal but the Red Kite is such a beautiful bird that it doesn't really do it justice.

Back