weekly mtjhome's 52 Photos for 2012 - BUSY added. Hooray! - Made it to the end!!

Week 14 Entrance

IMG_0132bs.jpg

Hi Mike,

soft - well done on taking such lovely well exposed pic under what was prob difficult lighting conditions, The light is great on the teddy but again I think it would have been better without the cake on it!:)

Hi Mike,

soft - well done on taking such lovely well exposed pic under what was prob difficult lighting conditions, The light is great on the teddy but again I think it would have been better without the cake on it!:)

Hi Sarah - Point taken about the cake, certainly from a photographic / composition point of view. Pic was taken at a wedding, so my choice of composition was limited. And cake give the picture more meaning / context for me especially as the Bear starred in the father of the bride's speech.

Entrance - #1 has some really nice lighting. I started to think the view through the entrance should be lighter but in the end decided that I liked it as it is with the lighting on the archway.

Soft - #1 – Great shot. I’m afraid I’m going to agree about the cake though. I like the composition and the juxtaposition of the softness of the bear and the harshness of the peeling paint of the window frame

Entrance... really like that, excellent

Soft... Have to agree about the cake, but otherwise, works really well

#1 for soft gets my vote Mike.
I agree with the others about the cake, but as you said it was at a wedding and it had a certain relevance.
You've handled the lighting on the bear well, that looks like a fantastic place to take photographs. The natural light through the window with the peeling paint, the lovely oof background great work. Iain

Good morning Michael,

Entrance like the second edit, only critiscism is you've clipped the welcome to Marlow sign which for me would add to the picture

Soft - great lighting its already been said about the cake

Bit of a tenuous story behind my justification for the above pic meeting the 'Pride' theme.
Initial idea was to photo the 'Best kept village' sign. That was a non-starter photographically. Next to that is the war memorial. We all have great pride for those who paid the ultimate price. That was an OK shot. But then the graveyard was round the corner. I'm sure that somebody, somewhere is very proud of the lives remembered by each of those tombstones??
Well anyway - that's the link to 'Pride'.

First, thanks so much for your comment on my thread - it has to be the nicest observation I've heard of me - especially as you can guess the truth is far from your compliement.

I think I've commented on your images within flickr. Great clarity and sharpness - black and white is always a good option for these proud shots! Mandy

Hi Mike. I have to say it doesn't say pride to me, even though your description is correct, but it's a very nice shot anyway, and the B&W suits it very well. The only thing I'd change is the star shaped stone in the foreground; I'd like to see all of it.

Great work :)

Hi Mike, catching up here....

Magical - lovely shot with the rainbow.

Vice - bang on theme and lovely dof

Entrance - definitely the shot with the cyclist, composition and lighting spot on for me too

Soft - without doubt the cuddly bear

Pride - excellent b&w shot, but I'm with Mark and not sure if this says Pride to me.

I'm catching up too :)

Entrance - I think commented before the edit... Great work with it, real good final cut !!!

Soft - Great final choice, (I won't mention the cake) a real nice shot, great colours & textures - Fantastic (y)

Pride - If you think it says pride so be it, it's your challenge mate - Lovey image, nice B&W too, suits it nicely

Hi,

On a catch up so its short and sweet im afraid.

Magical, really like this one, the way the rainbow looks to be emitting from the cove inside the big rock makes me believe there's a little leprechaun in there with some gold lol lol

Vice, Nice idea, works well

Entrance, great capture with the cyclist coming through, nice entrances also.

Soft, Great photo, bang on theme, the rustic texture of the window frame really won me over on this shot

Matt

Many thanks for all the comments - point absolutely taken about 'Pride' being a rather poor reflection of the theme - but I had to choose between better photo and worse interpretation or worse photo and better interpretation. I chose the former. Strong candidate for a re-shoot I guess. Mike

Hi Mike

Entrance - Image with the cyclist is very good and the human gives the scale of the structure. Good lighting and shadows and good symmetry.(y) The sign on the right would be better if all in rather than chopped

Soft - enough said about the cake. The bear, the window position, the lighting and the general 'lovingly used' nature of the bear and the window paint are excellent

Pride - sorry but doesn't communicate much to me either as a photo or the theme.

Point taken (from everyone) about the headstone in the foreground. I don't have a shot with more of it, I tried cropping it more, but that doesn't improve it (IMHO) so I'm stuck with it. Not my best pic. and as I said, a candidate for a re-shoot. - I found Pride to be a very challenging theme. Here's hoping for something easier tomorrow.

'Pride' I like the image and the monochrome tones but 'i'm not getting a sense of 'pride' from it. otherwise nice work. (y)

Nick

Hi Mike, I was looking at your entry for short thinking what gorgeous sky, then spotted where you took it, very jealous! Anyhow, I like the composition, the colour of the columns really contrast against the sky. I know you probably couldn't do much about it, but my only tiny critique is the guy and the railing in the corner bottom left, I would possibly attempt to clone that out!

Flight, bang on theme(y) Did you get told off for having your phone on? I quite like the abstract feel and it's almost symmetrical, not bad for shooting from the hip!

You say initial submission, will there be more?

Hey Mike
Seem to have missed a few weeks, Too much going on at the moment.
I like all your shots so far although Pride does have me wondering. Possibly its not so much in the graves but how the many staff and families have pride in the upkeep of our cemetary's. Not all of course, although most I come across have gardeners who do a fantastic job.
Short is great and jealous of the fantastic sky. You have done well balancing the colours and just the right amount of shadow.
Flight - bang on theme. Pity you lost part of the face outline merged into ceiling but given the circumstances an excellent shot.

Marsha - thanks for comments. I have in mind a flight photo of either a Red Kite or one of @BertieBluetit. But given the weather forecast I have posted the aircraft shot as a 'banker'.

John - thanks for comments. Bit of PP work with the colours on the temple pic because as you can imagine the light wasn't the kindest.

Pride – I’m afraid as others have said the theme just doesn’t jump out at me on this shot

Short – I think you did well in the harsh lighting. Was I the only one to be amused by the shortness of the foreground columns

Flight – Not bad for a grab shot. I actually like the way the flight attendant’s face has blurred into the cabin lights

'Short' - little stumpy columns fits the bill - nice sky !

'Flight' - I quite like this it's a quirky image and the light spill really works.

Nice work - Nick

Ooo lucky you!! I love the colours of the first and spot on theme!

Flight - what a good idea - the theme couldn't have been any better for you this week' It's an excellent pic especially since its taken from the hip!!:)

Hi Mike

great image for Short...well spotted:) Love the colors , & the angle , maybe clone out the person but thats a minor niggle & one I didn't spot initially....good capture mister (y)

Flight....good to see a different take on the theme , given the limitations you'd have had I think it works really well (y)

Short - really nice pictures, interesting subject, good colours and has an almost 3D effect.

Flight - another good one, like the take on the theme and the effect of the picture. Nicely taken.

Good work on both short and Flight Mike (y)

Short, not jealous at all..........much :D
Bang on theme, I really like the colour tones in there Mike, the stone columns against the brilliant blue sky, just lovely. It has great composition with the diagnols through the frame. Might be worth cloning out the people bottom right would be perfect then.

Flight again bang on theme, shot from the hip, good job!
The sense of movement with the flight attendant walking along the gangway really makes for a quite dynamic photograph. Iain

Back