weekly Carol's 52 for 2012 Week 21 Random added

Thanks Peter, Michael, Neil, Andy, DK, Marsha, Lynne, Sarah, Summer and John.
Andy and Lynne, I did take a full shot of the bin but much preferred the cropped version.

Carol

I wouldn't have got short from that without your explanation, but so what, it's a great photo anyway! I like the boosted version.

Thanks Alan, yep it sort of whispers short! lol

I think my submission for this week is more obvious.... I headed for the National Museum for this one today. It's a Weir W-2 autogyro plane, it caught my interest as it has propellers and rotor blades and wondered how that worked! If you'd like to know a bit more check out this link http://www.nms.ac.uk/learning/schoo...eachers_resources/move_it_teachers_notes.aspx

Anyway, it wasn't easy to photograph, it's hanging from the roof of the gallery so getting a clear shot with the whole plane in the frame wasn't easy! I'm not 100% happy with this one but have decided to go with it.

Carol

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cazagee/7128814943/][/URL]

Who's Alan? ;)

I like that shot for flight. I think it would be nice to see it from one of those landings too.

The conversion works very well, and I like the panoramic crop. Very very nice.

Hi Carol,

I think you've done well to get two of the rotors in shot. I like the mono but the nose of the aircraft looks a little lost agaisnt the dark background wall:thinking:With that said, I like the background, it looks very stylish! The crop suits the shot too..
I know how difficult these shots are, I have tried similar with the station guard aircraft on my RAF unit. Alas it hasn't worked due to flag pole wires and rubbish buildings in the background.

The problem with aircraft museums where everything is crammed in or bad backgrounds. You've done a good job given the circumstances. Good BW conversions.

'Flight' - Nice image of the Wier Carol I bet that was a right pig to fly! I do like your Gemini 2 image and looks really good in monochrome and very be-fitting for the 1960s mission. Bang on theme (y)

Nick

Hi Carol

great pair of images for theme & well taken given the surroundiings & people that would have been there (y)

Think #1 gets my top vote , love the processing & the pano crop....nice shot girlie :clap:
Nothing wrong with #2 just to me seems a bit plain in comparison to #1....I just can't image being cooped up in that cockpit for any amount of money or national pride :eek:

Hi, Carol, it's #1 for me.

The composition and framing is great.

It just seems a bit lost, though, not much contrast between the plane and the building.

Cheers.

Hi, Carol, it's #1 for me.

The composition and framing is great.

It just seems a bit lost, though, not much contrast between the plane and the building.

Cheers.

:agree:

Great colours but I did miss it at first glance. Maybe I need to get my glasses cleaned hehe. Nice shot though and looks like you had a good session snapping there.

Marsha, John, Michael, Mike, Neil, Peter, DK, Nick, Sarah, Lynne Andy & Alex. Thank you all again for your comments.... I am struggling to keep up but hey I'm still here! Just!

Yep, for#1, I agree the plane is a bit lost against the background, trying to get something decent in a museum is a nightmare.... when the subject is good the background is rubbish, and vice versa! I may try this on a sunny day to see if the brighter lighting will make the plane stand out a bit more?

Have upped the contrast in #2 as suggested, I just had to include this shot...when you actually see what they went to space in...glup! It really hits home how much of an achievement it was and you just have to stop for a few miuntes to admire the bravery and courage of those who actually flew in one of these!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cazagee/7169723182/][/URL]

I thought I'd try a triptych for this weeks theme. I've not done one of these before and I'm very pleased at how it turned out :D
Processing isn't my strong point.... I had to wrestled with GIMP for an hour to get this! Phew! know it's not perfect but i just couldn't face doing it again :( Not this week anyhow!
All the shots were taken hand held in the house at night with my nifty fifty without flash, so I had to use ISO 800. I don't have a macro lens so for the watch, I reversed the lens and held it in place for the shot. Used the 2 sec timer to help with camera shake.

As always your critique is much appreciated and will be noted for the next time I try this type of shot.

Carol

p.s. I've called this one Ruled by the Clock....cause that's often how I feel these days! lol

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cazagee/7169746670/][/URL]

Hi Carol

Pride - i have been to and seen that monument many times but your history has illuminated it better for me now. #1 is much better composition and pov and mono works well. Only drawback is obviously the branches but #2 without them and in colour just seems like a picture of record.

Short - could not tie to theme without your explanantion but i really like the shot, partic the one with the more saturation. Colour against a grey b/g goes well.

Flight - #1 is better subject but hard to capture against a busy b/g

Authority - I like the title. You have done well, partic with the limitations that you have outlined. I like the layout, the variety, the mono treatment

Hi Carol. Considering your limitations I think you've done very well. I love the triptych I think it works really well:clap: The only thing I'd say is the watch shot is a little under exposed, but considering the effort you put in I think you've done well to get a shot at all!

I've gone a bit triptych bonkers just lately, they do seem like hard work :bonk: I spent about two hours editing and cropping photos of Whitby this morning for one Triptych:nuts: But worth it when it works!

Thanks Peter, Alan, Marsha & Robert, yeah I'm much happier with this version :D

Thanks for your comments too Andy, I deliberately chose different times as I was trying to show time's authority over us.... no matter what time of day it is, it's relentless.....always on our case!

Well, I quite enjoyed this week's theme, took a trip to the Greenhouses in the Botanic Gardens.... I have to admit that I don't usually pay much attention to leaves. Anyhow, this was one of my favourites... I really like the light. It was taken hand held, with zoom lens at 250mm, f6.3, ISO 100, exp 1/160, then tweeked in zoom browser.

Carol

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/cazagee/7199025280/][/URL]

Hi Carol

Leave - Beautiful shot - composition, colour, lighting. You do seem to get lots of inspiration from the Gardens - on a par with your 'soft' shot. (y)

I still think a bit of a stretch from the theme (wait 'til you see mine and get your own back:D) -- but such a lovely photo just has to be shown. I have looked at it about a dozen times whilst writing this.

Stunning IMO

Back