weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

Hey Marsha

Random - Same as the others here... love the angle of the first and the little chap in the second, both nice pictures, and a combination of the two would have been fantastic... did you not have a hop-up it could have stood on :D

Temperature - Clever shot, I really like that, for a self portrait very unusual - very well done indeed (y)

Well the background is nicely oof imo so doesn't bother me whatsoever........not that the eye is drawn to the BG......mine are drawn to the wine glass!! .....yeah right, i never did make a good liar! :D :D

As for the subject ....ooooo la la !! lol...................all i can say is it's a good job you cropped it square!:D

I just love the hat ......not that it would suit me you understand :D

On a more serious note......I think the pose/angle works very well and as always, fits the theme like a glove (y)

Hi Marsha - Temperature - very clever shot and well done. Love the take on the theme.
Really interested to learn how you managed the focussing - you say it is manual - focussed on the wine glass. How did you know where to stand to get the wine glass in exactly the right spot?

Really interested to learn how you managed the focussing - you say it is manual - focussed on the wine glass. How did you know where to stand to get the wine glass in exactly the right spot?

Next issue was focusing, my helper (Buzz Lightyear) was placed so I had something to aim at, I had to manually focus and found it difficult to get it right. .

If I understand correctly from what Marsha said about the focusing, she used Buzz Lightyear ( a toy I think) as an object to manually focus on at a set distance and then Marsha put herself in that spot with a view of being in focus when the shot was taken.

I like your temperature shot, well executed and super result.

Hi Marsha

Cracking shot & sooo on theme for Temperature...very brave to do an SP & really well executed , everything in focus with great use of DOF....excellent work :clap:

Liking both your Random shots as well....great spot , love the flash of contrasting color between the birds head & the yellow rape...#2 for me simply doe the the placement of the bird (y)
22 weeks & still going strong...good on ya gal :clap:

Dam i wrote a huge reply only for the pc to crash :bonk:

Random - Same as the others here... love the angle of the first and the little chap in the second, both nice pictures, and a combination of the two would have been fantastic... did you not have a hop-up it could have stood on

Would it be wrong to play jiggery pokery in CS5 and merge the two?

Temperature - Clever shot, I really like that, for a self portrait very unusual - very well done indeed (y)

Cheers DK, I wasn't sure if people would like it.

Well the background is nicely oof imo so doesn't bother me whatsoever........not that the eye is drawn to the BG......mine are drawn to the wine glass!! .....yeah right, i never did make a good liar!

As for the subject ....ooooo la la !! lol...................all i can say is it's a good job you cropped it square!

:LOL: Cheers Asha, I was actually wearing shorts so I haven't cropped that much out! Still to much to bear here though!

Alas there wasn't wine in the glass, no booze before work I'm afraid!

I just love the hat ......not that it would suit me you understand :D

On a more serious note......I think the pose/angle works very well and as always, fits the theme like a glove (y)

I tried it without the hat, I didn't like my bad hair day so opted to cover that up too!!! Thanks again Asha for the kind words, appreciated as ever(y)

Last edited:
Hi Marsha - Temperature - very clever shot and well done. Love the take on the theme.

Cheers Mike. It's like Asha said I set my camera to how I wanted the shot taken and then placed Buzz (the largest toy to hand) on the towel, I focused so he was sharp and then sat where he was. I used my remote timer set on two seconds and took three shots, one leaning slightly forward, upright and slightly backwards, in the hope that I would hit a good focus in one of them! The fact that it's sharp all across the top from my hat to the glass is luck and amazes me!!!

Cracking shot & sooo on theme for Temperature...very brave to do an SP & really well executed , everything in focus with great use of DOF....excellent work :clap:

Cheers Lynne, I nearly didn't post it! There's more of me on show than I'm used too :eek:

Liking both your Random shots as well....great spot , love the flash of contrasting color between the birds head & the yellow rape...#2 for me simply doe the the placement of the bird (y)

Thank you. Although it was actually a field full of buttercups, they've obviousy gone mad in the blast of sunshine! I went to the edge of a rape seed field and they were waist high, no chance of anything like this happening in there!

22 weeks & still going strong...good on ya gal :clap:

Many thanks. Is it me or is this year flying by? It'll be Christmas soon :puke:

Temperature (Self-Portrait) - I think you have done well to get yourself and glass in focus. good depth of field too. (y)

Nick

I don't know how I managed to miss your random shots Marsha? I like number one best. His head is lower yes, but still very obvious, and the colours and DoF work better for me.

Temperature, lovely photo! It not only conveys temperature because of your state of semi undress, but also because of your hat, the fact you'r having a drink, and the warm tone and feel of it. Stunning work!

P.S. Can't have been full manual, right? You must have used the self timer, which "automatically" releases the shutter, so tut tut! :rules:

Last edited:
love the random shots couldn't work out what the red thing was it makes you look really hard excellent temperature certainly says hot and nicely exposed considering how bright the sun is :clap:

Random – As the random part of the photos is the pheasant I prefer #2 which has more clarity on the head.

Temperature – A great take on the theme. Well composed and exposed (forgive the pun) especially as it was a SP. Just how many glasses of wine did you get through for the TP52 cause? :LOL:

Random... The second works better from a composition view... but I prefer the first for the POV and the need to look harder to see and work out what your seeing, which makes it more interesting.

Temperature... Well done on an excellent SP Marsha. It's clearly hot, and the image is well focused and exposed.

Authority - you got there in the end with the WB, only thing for me is the cropped logo but other than that a good fit for the theme

Leave - #2 for me, great shot, good capture and nice tones

Random - #2, really nice. The red against the yellow is a great contrast. Works well

Temperature - good on you for the SP! Nice exercise for focusing and composition etc.

Random - Of the two shots its difficult to tell which one stands out best. I have to say after much deliberation, #2 just edges it as the pose is slightly clearer. Both great shots.
Temperature - well executed for a selfie and bang on theme for the weather.

love random, lil bit of red in the yellow :clap:

temperature is very good, the glass really adds to it too, well done :clap:

Southdowns said:
Temperature, lovely photo! It not only conveys temperature because of your state of semi undress, but also because of your hat, the fact you'r having a drink, and the warm tone and feel of it. Stunning work!

Thanks Mark.

Cheers Allan

Delta Skies said:
Random – As the random part of the photos is the pheasant I prefer #2 which has more clarity on the head.

I have actually put a different shot on Flickr, but it took a lot of editing! I'll post it here when I get a chance.

Delta Skies said:
Temperature – A great take on the theme. Well composed and exposed (forgive the pun) especially as it was a SP. Just how many glasses of wine did you get through for the TP52 cause? :LOL:

:LOL: Peter. Alas is was very weak Ribena as I was working that night!!!

Thanks also John, Alex, John and Summer.

Many thanks for the kind words everyone. It definitely helps to keep me going.

I've struggled to keep up with everyone else these last two weeks! I'll try and get around everyone I've missed today.

+1 for temperature. Exposure is spot on for me, any more and we'd be in the nude and glamour section! Still I can see the family likeness. .....

Beagletorque said:
+1 for temperature. Exposure is spot on for me, any more and we'd be in the nude and glamour section!

:LOL: I did consider putting an NSFW on it, but there's nothing too risky on show :eek: Glad you like it though.

Beagletorque said:
Still I can see the family likeness. .....
Cheeky! Maybe a few more pies needed for that ;)

Well I hadn't really thought of anything for this theme when I saw these and had a eureka moment!

This was taken quickly using the tripod quick release plate as a base and my camera strap to prop the lens up a little! I then thought it had a few 'issues' so got the tripod out and took another dozen shots! Still preferred this one in the end :bonk:

It's a Diamond Jubilee so I felt this was most fitting!

F16, 1.3 sec, ISO-800, 100 macro no flash.

The white balance was tweaked in ACR and the colours saturated a little, opened in CS5 for a slight sharpen and cloned out some of the flecks. The 'dirt' on the white bit at the front is barely visible to the naked eye, I have cloned out the worst of it!

What do you think?

Very topical Marsha (y)

I like the vibrant colours, the lighting is spot on too, there is sometimes a risk of blowing the whites with such contrast but you've handled it well.
I think more of a letterbox crop would work with your image. Iain

Love your new random. Definitely the best of the 3 IMHO.
Like your abstract - the concept and the composition - but isn't it a bit overexposed?
Thank you, I actually increased the exposure a little in ACR to increase the contrast slightly between the whites and the two colours. You think it's too much?

Thanks Michael.

I actually have another idea for this theme, I may try it if I get the chance this week.

I too like the concept of your abstract shot....very much in keeping with the present festivities which are being followed by a lot of my french friends......they keep asking me questions on the Royal Family....they presume I know all the answers cos I'm English....Google is my friend ...I point them there!! lol

A very nice result with your editing to the Random shot!

Does look a bit washed out but a good idea for the theme.

Very fitting, and a lovely photo. I'd like to see an even more abstract crop on the same subject, but love it like it is anyway :)

Cheers Mark.

Southdowns said:
I'd like to see an even more abstract crop on the same subject, but love it like it is anyway :)

Mmm:thinking: it was difficult to crop close without getting some unwanted background in! However a trip to Ikea has seen some Union Jack purchases that may help with that issue! I've also bought some cheap lights that may help!

Back