weekly mtjhome's 52 Photos for 2012 - BUSY added. Hooray! - Made it to the end!!

Week 27 Small

IMG_1177as.jpg

Hi Michael, I'm a few weeks behind but catching up slowly with everyone!

Joy, I have to agree with everyone about number one. I like three as well, although that little mushroom cloud does look a bit like a small nuke has just gone off:bonk: I have to say you have cheated with these though:cautious: WHEN has the sun shone enough these last few weeks to provide such lovely blue sky?
Great shot of the wine bottle too, the starbursts and the flowers really add that summery feel, something we all need right now. If you had included the bottle top it would make a great product shot in a magazine:clap:

Small, great texture and detail on the cog. Not sure about the blurry bit top right though:thinking:

Your chosen option for joy, #1 got my vote too Mike. I particularly like how you have filled the frame with the daisys, so much colour and vibrancy, lovely.
I like small too, great colour tones, texture and shape. A closer crop on this too may concentrate the viewers eye away from the oof corners as mentioned. Other than that (y) Good work. Iain

Very nice shot; I love that texture!

Very nice shot Mike :). I like the tones a lot, but do wonder if it'd be better without the darker coloured table. I kind of feel it needs either no background at all (low or high key), or some context?

Thanks Mark- this was my first venture into 'low key' - using a flash to illuminate the background. I've a got a lot of learning to do - but that is what this venture is all about! Believe it or not, the glass is sitting on a sheet of white paper - obviously it needs to be illuminated too.

Hi Mike,

I like your idea for straight. It's a difficult subject though, lots of angles to catch reflections with. There's an area on the right below the drink line that is black. I know there are reflections down the sides but they're similar both sides. That little black bit plays havoc with my OCD! As I'm discovering in my own shots right now:bonk:

I'm curious, isn't low key a black back ground and high key white:thinking:

ah good man, just make sure it's Irish :clap:

btw I missed your small shot, I think I would like to have seen a wider shot as this might have given it more scale, I won't say anything else because although I like decay, in this instance I just want to get my wire brush out and give it a good clean, then paint it with no. 1 rust beater followed by BRG hammerite and oil the bearings and, and, and...:LOL:

Hi Mike,

I like your idea for straight. It's a difficult subject though, lots of angles to catch reflections with. There's an area on the right below the drink line that is black. I know there are reflections down the sides but they're similar both sides. That little black bit plays havoc with my OCD! As I'm discovering in my own shots right now:bonk:
Hi Marsha
Yer - it's not easy this backlit stuff!!

I'm curious, isn't low key a black back ground and high key white:thinking:
You are absolutely right - just goes to show how new this malarky is to me!!

ah good man, just make sure it's Irish :clap:

Hi Summer - wow - how could you tell - that's impressive. It was indeed Bushmills and of course, strictly speaking is is Whiskey not Whisky.

btw I missed your small shot, I think I would like to have seen a wider shot as this might have given it more scale, I won't say anything else because although I like decay, in this instance I just want to get my wire brush out and give it a good clean, then paint it with no. 1 rust beater followed by BRG hammerite and oil the bearings and, and, and...:LOL:
More OCD?? hehe

no ocd I just like engines & mechanical stuff, but I like to get things working :)

anyway - letter, well composed I think, I like the leaves framing the top. It looks a little over exposed on my screen but then I am struggling with screen contrast at the mo :(

(new lap top)

Hi Mike

your chosen image for joy has made me smile for the 1st time in a while so hits the theme for me , do like the clouds in the #3rd as well plus it's a wonderful view (y)

Small ....lovely textures & a great find for the theme , good pov & dof...like it :clap:

Straight....wine is my current poison but I'm quite partial to a good malt....like the lighting & straight on 2 counts :)

Letter....nice find ,good framing with the leaves (y)

Hi Mike

Straight - good shot for theme. I like the lighting and the base on which it stands , although i take your point about how you wanted it lit. Agree with Marsha re the black bit at side but like the 'oily' nature the top of the liquid where it has lapped against the sides of the glass

Letter - tha's a very nice pic. Wouldn't look out of place as a filler in those montages that the English Tourist Board does. Good colours and composition(y)

Hi Mike,

Desperately playing catch up, so sorry it's brief!

Straight - genius. Love the idea and the execution.

Letter - simple, but well done. Nice colour and context.

Contrast - another stroke of genius. Not sure about the tomato on the end (it feels off-balance?) but the idea is so good that I don't mind that much. Maybe brighten and enhance contrast on the background, too?

Hi Mike

Contrast....trying to figure out if thats really really acurate cutting with an incredibly sharp knife....or some really top PP that's gonna make me go off you rapidly :LOL: I can't give any technical crit cos it's way over what I could do.... the tom seems an awkward one , maybe cos the others are obviously fruits but like the use of 3...maybe 1 orange & 2 apples would even it out ?

Still , great idea & well put togther mister...:clap:

Hi Michael

Contrast - really good idea and cleverly done. Tomato and apple look a little unreal because the perspective seems odd. Also maybe turn the apple so that the uncut bit is on the outside. But all these are comments are after the event and this must have been difficult and time consuming so well done has to be the conclusion.

Mineral - Not a great b/g but nice capture of the texture and colours of the metal. Fits the theme if one takes' animal, vegetable or mineral' but i take it as 'metal' so a bit off theme for me.

Mineral - Not a great b/g but nice capture of the texture and colours of the metal. Fits the theme if one takes' animal, vegetable or mineral' but i take it as 'metal' so a bit off theme for me.

Alan, thanks for the comments - I agree about the liberal interpretation of Mineral - but I really did find the very literal interpretation of the theme too restrictive.

ooo I love contrast, I think everything about it just fine, the tomato looks great :)

I like mineral too, great shot, and metal comes from (mineral) ore so fits the theme too :)

Hi Michael,

Contrast, I really like this idea. I think I would have gone in size order starting bigger on the left. I'm guessing you've PP'd the fruit together as I can see what appears to be a slight over lap on the orange and the tomato.

Mineral, when I first looked at this I thought it was another shot for contrast as it's very similar to Sarah's! I like the detail on the chain, maybe greater DOF on the chain would have worked better than the background. Not that I find the background too distracting just going on what others have said.

Contrast – Great idea and well executed.

Mineral – I thought this was another contrast shot but the rust brings the theme out in the photo

Contrast is superb really nice idea :clap:

Mineral could perhaps be little closer to the chain and less bg as most have said

Contrast - brilliant idea and well taken, I think everything else has already been said!

Mineral - I like the detail and colour of the rust but wonder whether a close up on the rust would suit the theme more!:)

Contrast: Outstanding idea. Really well done too. Love it.

Mineral: I like the metal. I don't mind the back ground and get what you did. Good shot.

Hello!

Straight - good idea but agree with some of the comments about the surface and the background. Needed a bit more of a difference between tones.

Letter - great letter box shot, the addition of the greenery is lovely and makes the shot.

Contrast - interesting idea, the tomato feels a bit crammed in. Good pp'ing and composition

Mineral - More focus on the metal would have been better for this theme but would work very well for contrast. Nice detail with the rust coming through.

Dark - nice scene. Love the moon and the reflection. The light on the boats sets it off.

Back