weekly Marsha's photo 52 2012 is complete. NSF Dieters!

Heeeellllloooo

Symmetry - I like this, nice capture of the reflection. The water is very clear and demonstrates the theme well.

Moody - hahahaha cute kids! Love these. #2 is fab, not so moody but love that expression

Symmetry - Fits the theme well both vertically and horizontally in one picture.

Moody - Now that is moody :LOL: Did you have to bribe her or did that look come naturally.

Symmetry, excellent, fits the theme perfectly, and looks a tranquil place...

Moody, #1, and very moody indeed... fill flash is tricky, and not something I've been able to get quite right yet.... and it may be just a little over flashed...

Oops, so many people I've not replied to!

michael23 said:
that 1st one looks quite cool, moody daughter against a great moody sky, my what a look in her eyes.

Cheers Michael, she does throw 'that' look very well!

*Sarah* said:
Symmetry - well seen and taken!:)

moody - our kids do come in handy as models occasionally don't they!! I like both of your shots but I keep getting drawn back to your first.
You have two lovely looking children:love: there Marsha!

Thanks Sarah, they do come in handy! I'm trying to not use them too often as I don't want it to be a 'my kids 52'

Dark Knight said:
Symmetry - Really liking that, great sky, reflection and the tree look great - well spotted and nicely captured (y)

Moody - No:1 for me, I know the problems you have with flash, something I need to get to grips with a lot more... great looking children, real nice sharp eyes, and great to start them getting used to posing for you, should be a great help as they get older

Cheers DK, I wish they would 'pose' properly!!!

ChickenDipa said:
Heeeellllloooo

Symmetry - I like this, nice capture of the reflection. The water is very clear and demonstrates the theme well.

Moody - hahahaha cute kids! Love these. #2 is fab, not so moody but love that expression

Cheers Alex.

Delta Skies said:
Symmetry - Fits the theme well both vertically and horizontally in one picture.

Moody - Now that is moody :LOL: Did you have to bribe her or did that look come naturally.

Thanks Peter, Alas the moody attitude comes very naturally to her, I've no idea where she gets it :whistle:

jgs001 said:
Symmetry, excellent, fits the theme perfectly, and looks a tranquil place...

Moody, #1, and very moody indeed... fill flash is tricky, and not something I've been able to get quite right yet.... and it may be just a little over flashed...

Cheers John, it's a very quiet part of the Thames and nice to go and just watch the canal barges and things go by. I should really go more often!

I'm studying for a qualification at work just now and suffering with insomnia, I'm hoping to catch up and get back into things properly next week!

I'll get round to everyone's threads eventually.

Good luck Marsha

It's already been said above Marsha but I will say it again, symmetry well seen, echos the theme both vertically and horizontally.

Your son and daughter photograph, this made me laugh, it's a priceless look on your daughters face. I think I have mentioned before about your little 'uns photograph, she looks like she has bags of spirit and devilment(sp) about her. I love that in kids.

A photograph doesn't have to be technically perfect to work, the flash is a little strong but I don't think it matters in the slightest, it's a learning curve after all. Iain

Thanks John, it should be a 'formality' as I've been controlling a while so it's just controlling at a new airfield, unfortunately there's loads of procedures I need to learn but my brain hasn't got room, too much photography stuff going on in there!

Cheers Iain, my skills with the flash are a little lacking! I REALLY need to sit and read manuals and stuff and learn how to use it properly! For now I just wing it and swear a LOT!

I am catching up with everyone else today and hoping to catch up with my photos in the next two weeks. My reshoot is bugging me, I attempt it EVERY day and still fail, but I refuse to be beaten!

'Symmetry' a nice shot and 'Moody' #1 really fits the bill - typical brother/sister love :D

Hi, Marsh, liking Symmetry. I like the reflection and the overall exposure is good. Tad off the sides, maybe :thinking:

Moody, #1, that's Moody indeed. Did you use flash?

Moody, #2, I though this was Small - I had a similar idea for my small. Eye contact wuld be the icing on the cake.

Good show.

Cheers Gramps and Allan.

posiview said:
Hi, Marsh, liking Symmetry. I like the reflection and the overall exposure is good. Tad off the sides, maybe :thinking:

Thanks Andy, I tried cropping it but couldn't decide how much so I left it as is!

Moody, #1, that's Moody indeed. Did you use flash?

Everyone else has said too much flash, are you being funny ha ha?

Moody, #2, I though this was Small - I had a similar idea for my small. Eye contact wuld be the icing on the cake.

Nope, this is pretend moody! She was looking at Nan Nan, my offspring never look at the camera when I ask:bonk:

Vertical symmetry; I like it! I think the tones are perhaps a little flat, but I like the reflection.

Moody 1 has to be the one for me; against the moody sky it looks wonderful! Not as keen on Moody 2, just because it doesn't fit the theme from me.

Hi Marsha,

You spent quite a bit of time on your abstract work ...some nice results..;I particularly like No 5 ...The texture of the leaves stands out in such a way that you can practically feel it!

Symmetry is spot on the theme.......quite an easy theme to mimic indoors/at home with the use of mirrors etc but to find something outside is more of a demanding task which you have executed very well imo.

Your little uns...gorgeous the pair of them and quite amusing at times I guess!
The look on your daughters face made me laugh ...sort of "what is HE doing in MY shot"!! lol....
As mentioned by others, fill in flash can take some mastering ...I for one am guilty of not taking enough time to study it properly.
As it is, you have managed to obtain a decent result..
Almost half way through your challenge now Marsha, well done.....some cracking work, looking forward to seeing the second half.

Hi Asha,

Asha said:
The look on your daughters face made me laugh ...sort of "what is HE doing in MY shot"!! lol....
There's a lot of that with everything, sibling rivalry starts young!

As mentioned by others, fill in flash can take some mastering ...I for one am guilty of not taking enough time to study it properly.

I will have a lot of 'spare' time over the next two months at work, so intend to study as much as I can!

Almost half way through your challenge now Marsha, well done.....some cracking work, looking forward to seeing the second half.

I'm a bit behind now, got some photos and ideas, I just need time in front of the pc to sort out what I have taken:bonk:

Cheers for dropping by.

I'm finally qualified at work:D So now I can chill out a bit and get working on catching up! My stupid reshoot is thwarting me but I refuse to be beaten! I'm working on editing/ sorting photos for Joy and straight, just need some time to stalk some bugs for small, also need it to stop bloody raining!

Cheers for asking DK :)

Hiya Marsha, I thought I'd drop by and pay you a visit ;)

As I mentioned in my thread, I can sympathise with you as far as work getting in the way is concerned it is so inconsiderate to our hobby.

Dare I say it? It is only going to get worse for the next few months because of some sporting event thats on :(

Anyway, I hope the weather is kind to you over your four days off and you complete your catch up.

Iain

Hiya :wave:

Loving that image of your 2 little un's....right on theme & great expressions (y) The one of just your daughter....she has an almost porcelaine doll face...thats good by the way (y)

Great reflections in symetry & a well recovered sky :clap:

Hi Iain :wave:

blakester said:
As I mentioned in my thread, I can sympathise with you as far as work getting in the way is concerned it is so inconsiderate to our hobby.

Dare I say it? It is only going to get worse for the next few months because of some sporting event thats on :(

I hate it when work spoils my fun! I am hoping that work wise it'll be pipe and slippers time over the next few months! I'm actually sat with my feet up at work as I type!

blakester said:
Anyway, I hope the weather is kind to you over your four days off and you complete your catch up.
I've heard a vicious rumour the sun will shine today, I've bought my camera in with me in the hope I may grab some shots of something/ anything on my way home!
Thanks for dropping in.

blondie606 said:
Loving that image of your 2 little un's....right on theme & great expressions (y) The one of just your daughter....she has an almost porcelaine doll face...thats good by the way (y)

Great reflections in symetry & a well recovered sky :clap:

Thanks Lynne.

Thanks John, life's so much easier once your free of the training Gestapo!

The goblin said:
blakester said:
I've heard a vicious rumour the sun will shine today, I've bought my camera in with me in the hope I may grab some shots of something/ anything on my way home!

Well the sun made a brief appearance yesterday, I managed to get my small shot done! It's back to grey and miserable for my first day off today:razz: I'm going to tempt fate and try and take some photos of puddles later!

I've got Joy, Small and Straight all sorted:D I'm going to have one more attempt at my reshoot tonight before uploading them all.

Vertical symmetry; I like it! I think the tones are perhaps a little flat, but I like the reflection.
Mark, I've listened and tried to tweak the tones using curves! I've added the edited shot to the original post if you have time to take a peak?

Time for a monster catch up!

Well this shot has wrecked my world! I think I've taken about 500 photos trying to get this!

A few of you posted photos of eyes as the entrance to the soul, well apparently the pupil is the entrance to the eye!

F8, 1/20 sec, ISO 400, 100mm macro, 2 x 430ex ii OCF bounced everywhere! Camera on a tripod in live mode, a mirror held up so I can see the camera focusing. EVERY angle and F stop has been tried, as well as flash off, flash on, windows reflecting or not! Even tried manual focusing, kind of difficult when you need glasses and can't see what the hell is going on:bonk:

This has been tweaked quite a lot! Saturation of my skin reduced as two night shifts and two children = red and groggy eyes! Shooting this close also loses all eye colour, so a splash of blue has been added back in! Curves and levels adjusted, the list goes on!

There is another shot on Flickr that I was trying to perfect, and gave up!

I hope you like it, there was a lot of swearing over this!!!

Nothing brings me more joy than watching and listening to the sea! Well, other than my family, but that would be obvious!

I took these at Hastings, I say these as this is actually two shots combined! The rocks in the foreground is the original shot, but the water was flat, so the waves in the background from another shot was added. I'm rubbish at landscapes, be gentle!

F8, 1/160 sec, ISO 800, 45mm.

Cracking reshoot. Having attempted something similar I have to give you a mahhhooossivveee :clap:

Nice and sharp, great detain in the eye ball, especially the veins.

Just the iris...I'd like it to be more circular.

Just cracking photograph, though.

Cheers.

Joy, I'm in total agreement regarding the sea....the sound, smell and taste of salt in the air (and fish and chips and candy floss :D).

Well composed to exclude the boring sky and nice freezing the movement in the waves. Nice FG interest. Tad closer, maybe.

Can I ask where you focused? I'd like (ideally) for the FG to be sharper.

Cheers and I want to be sat on them rocks now :crying:

I had ideas for small but the weather refused to assist my plans! However, yesterday on the way home form work the sun shone briefly so I pegged it into a field and found some poppy's!

This is a poppy head before it blooms. I tried a splash of OCF to catch the detail in this plant. There was a very slight breeze which wasn't helping as the shutter speed was slow!

F16, 1/20sec, ISO 100, 100mm macro. OCF flash used with the camera on a tripod.

This is another poppy in bloom just so you can get an idea of scale.

We went to Hastings for the weekend when this theme was announced so this was actually taken in the week intended.

This is the view looking straight down the very short tracks.

East Hill lift.

F16, 1/60 sec, ISO 200, 32mm.

This is the view from the road, again just to give you an idea of how steep this thing is.

posiview said:
Cracking reshoot. Having attempted something similar I have to give you a mahhhooossivveee :clap:
Thanks Andy, I was very close to giving up! This was actually my final attempt and final shot!

posiview said:
Nice and sharp, great detain in the eye ball, especially the veins.
A little too much in places, I had to edit one as it was huge and quite distracting:bonk:

posiview said:
Just the iris...I'd like it to be more circular.
Which part? The bits obscured by my eye lids (tried a few hundred times there) or the areas that are dark in places and weird looking in others? Either way I tried EVERYTHING to reduce reflections, glare, all sorts!

I wish I had kept a count of how many shots I took for this!

Thanks for the praise Andy, it's appreciated:)

posiview said:
Joy, I'm in total agreement regarding the sea....the sound, smell and taste of salt in the air (and fish and chips and candy floss :D).
Mmm, fish and chips!

posiview said:
Well composed to exclude the boring sky and nice freezing the movement in the waves. Nice FG interest. Tad closer, maybe.
The sky was blue for once and not dripping!!

posiview said:
Can I ask where you focused? I'd like (ideally) for the FG to be sharper.
I can't remember, I was trying what was recommended by the previous DSLR skills module! It didn't!!! F16 probably would have and shooting two thirds in, alas I didn't have a huge amount of time to spare!

posiview said:
Cheers and I want to be sat on them rocks now :crying:

Me too! I lived in Ascension for six months and Cyprus for three years, I have spent many (warm) hours watching the sea, diving under it and water ski'ing on it! I love it.

the eye is really crisp and clear... superb clarity and definition. An interesting angle too, side long glance at the camera, not surprised you had trouble focusing :D..

Joy, understandable and fits the theme. I'd not have known this was a cut and shut job, had you not mentioned it... nicely done. I like it.

Straight, fulfils the requirememts nicely, and an interesting POV in that first one. Like it.

the eye is really crisp and clear... superb clarity and definition. An interesting angle too, side long glance at the camera, not surprised you had trouble focusing :D..

Cheers John, I did try every angle, this way was more appealing on the eye (pun intended) Straight on was more clinical and showed up too many bags, veins and the deep hollow over my eye that you don't realise is that deep until it ruins a photo!!!! Mind you, I gave myself an eyebrow lift whilst taking this;)

Joy, understandable and fits the theme. I'd not have known this was a cut and shut job, had you not mentioned it... nicely done. I like it.

Straight, fulfils the requirememts nicely, and an interesting POV in that first one. Like it.

Thank you.

Reshoot – Nice and sharp. You can see loads of detail in the eye.

Joy – The theme doesn’t jump out with the explanation but you’ve done well with the edit. You can’t see the join :LOL:

Small – I prefer #1 from these. Lovely colours and pin sharp where it needs to be

Straight – Bang on theme. The inclusion of the people gives some scale as well.

Delta Skies said:
Reshoot – Nice and sharp. You can see loads of detail in the eye.
Thanks Peter.

Delta Skies said:
Joy – The theme doesn’t jump out with the explanation but you’ve done well with the edit. You can’t see the join :LOL:
I interpreted this as what brings me joy, my family and chocolate would have been too easy so I chose something I don't get to see that often, the sea!
Thankfully the join is along a wave line so very easy to blend in ;)

Delta Skies said:
Small – I prefer #1 from these. Lovely colours and pin sharp where it needs to be
Thank you, the second photo is just to show a but of scale. The Poppy's were all very limp and sad looking covered in dew and waiting for some mystical sunshine so not looking their best for photos!

Delta Skies said:
Straight – Bang on theme. The inclusion of the people gives some scale as well.
It is difficult to appreciate how steep this is, the people do help!

Thanks for dropping in :)

Hi Marsha, the eye shot is very good, so a big well done for that, this is something I have never yet tried myself. It was well worth the effort! Joy, I like this one, by the sea is certainly on theme for me. Nice bit of pp, I couldn't tell these were from 2 different pictures. Straight, like it, nice angle of view and good dof and composition. reminds of the one in scarborough.

really nice set of pics for the catch up.
I really get the sea pic was brought up near the Irish sea used to always be there especially in bad weather there is something about it a joy to me too :clap:

Thanks Allan. My attraction to the sea was the result of living in Ascension for six months, alas this was before my SLR photography days or I could have got some cracking wave shots! I remember the winter was so rough all the sand got washed off the beach, very odd!

Back