weekly Marsha's 2013 52 - Finally finished!

I have to say 3 for me I think the framing is determined on what background you view it on on a black BG it works for me (y)

i like the second shot actually - like the way youve caught the little guy 'chilling' in the snow (excuse the poor pun!)

Hi Marsha
Family eh :(

Very wintry and quite wet looking. Think #2 has better potential if cropped more.

#3 has nice comp and good focus but not keen on the way that the shot has no framing/stop point at the right
Thanks Alan, a border did cross my mind, I'll listen to my thoughts next time!

Hi Marsha :wave:
As Andy says, all three bang on theme (y)
#1 I too like the low perspective taken here, the little fella is a bit oof as you say but still clearly recognisable. maybe just a tad too central in the frame but not something you could have much control over eh?

#2 has, as Alan mentioned a crop potential, maybe to concentrate the viewers eye have the bird more dominant in the frame?

#3 liking the colours captured here, maybe even go with a colour boost to accentuate them? A little too much space on the rhs IMHO but alternatively, the negative space works. A drop shadow applied to the image would help as a stop to the rhs because as it is, the frame seems to fade out with no end IYSWIM.

Good work (y)
Not long until the new theme is announced. Iain
Hi Iain, I actually cropped #1 to get the path more symmetrical:bonk:
#2 is cropped already, not by much so I could go closer!
#3 I hate you, I spent an hour trying to figure out drop shadows last night! I've done one but I think it's too much, I need to figure out the best settings!

I have to say 3 for me I think the framing is determined on what background you view it on on a black BG it works for me (y)
Cheers Allan.

Last edited:
I'm liking 1 (imagined without the bird) and 3,

1) the salty path and low pov really are very seasonal - 3) love the colours, hint of snow and how the background gently blends into nothingness (y)
Cheers DK.

i like the second shot actually - like the way youve caught the little guy 'chilling' in the snow (excuse the poor pun!)
Thanks Dan.

Just a thought, might not be a good idea to put bird food out in the same area you put salt as salt can kill some birds and they might pick it up by mistake instead of the food.

Lovely colours and composition in the hebe plant
I don't normally feed the birds there, it was just a handful of crumbs so hopefully he's ok and opting for the fat balls in the garden instead!

Hi Iain, I actually cropped #1 to get the path more symmetrical:bonk:
#2 is cropped already, not by much so I could go closer!
#3 I hate you, I spent an hour trying to figure out drop shadows last night! I've done one but I rhinitis too much, I need to figure out the best settings!

For drop shadows, I use picasa. It has a preset in one of the editing options which is simple to use. I just fiddle around with the sliders until I get something I like.

For drop shadows, I use picasa. It has a preset in one of the editing options which is simple to use. I just fiddle around with the sliders until I get something I like.

Hi Iain, I've added an edited version with a drop shadow and increased saturation to the original post, I was a bit more awake so things seemed easier today!

Oh and I don't know how to quote a quote (IYSWIM) but that bit I wrote about rhinitis has been edited, the misfortune of typing on your phone with a child in your lap!!!

Last edited:
Hi Iain, I've added an edited version with a drop shadow and increased saturation to the original post, I was a bit more awake so things seemed easier today!

Oh and I don't know how to quote a quote (IYSWIM) but that bit I wrote about rhinitis has been edited, the misfortune of typing on your phone with a child in your lap!!!

Your edited version of #3 Marsha, is spot on for me now.
I think it is more grounded now IYSWIM.

Hi hun....got here eventually :D

Like the POV & bleakness of #1 but the little birdie distracts me as not quite sharp enough....#2 is the one for me.....I'd be tempted to crop a little from the bottom but definately the top shot for me (y)

I hope your not trying to steal my crown now :cautious:

Are you accusing me of running late? How very dare you ;)

This is fresh off the press tonight:

As always this year, no time to sort everything out just now as I REALLY should be in bed for my 0545 up time tomorrow :help: I shall update tomorrow.

For my gravity shot I wanted to take a photo of an apple falling in water, cliche I know, but I've never done it so it's all about the learning! I tried it with a white background and a different set up but it just didn't work.
After some research via Google I got the shot above which I am rather pleased with. I have done very little PP, just tweaked the blacks, contrast and brightness in ACR to make it more punchy/ contrasty (is that a real word?), cloned a small streak of stray light and tiny bits of fluff from the black sheet and the odd blown splash. Converted to B&W, inverted the layer then used a small brush to 'paint out' the very small areas of light refraction. Sharpened, straightened (the vase is an Ikea special, so not very level) and posted!

I know there is quite a hot spot from the flash and with effort I could probably have cloned it out, but I actually don't mind it.

All C&C welcome.

I apologise immensely for not much commenting, busy is my middle name right now. I'm hoping to get there eventually!

Last edited:
Hi, on my phone, but it looks a cracker to me.

I'll look again on bigger screen tonight.

Learning.... It is indeed what we're here for.

Cheers.

I do liek your second blackbird in the snow Marsha - the white top and the white interspersed with the blades of grass work brilliantly with the black of the bird (y)

And even on a big screen the apples a real cracker!

I'd line up the top of the vase to horizontal - and I'm happy to live with the hot spot from the flash - the rest of the shot is soooo good it doesn;t manage to pull it down.

The apple is a nice touch - putting it well and truly on theme! :clap:

I do liek your second blackbird in the snow Marsha - the white top and the white interspersed with the blades of grass work brilliantly with the black of the bird (y)

And even on a big screen the apples a real cracker!

I'd line up the top of the vase to horizontal - and I'm happy to live with the hot spot from the flash - the rest of the shot is soooo good it doesn;t manage to pull it down.

The apple is a nice touch - putting it well and truly on theme! :clap:

Thanks Graham, there is a cropped version of tht blackbird on Flickr, I will add it here when I get a chance tonight.

Glad you like the gravity shot, although I did straighten it to the top of the vase :thinking: I think the splash makes it look wonky, well that's my excuse!
It took a few attempts to get the splash right and get the apple in such an angle that you could see it was an apple! I'm glad I persisted with that, despite the mess!

WOW - I :love: this, its SO dynamic! :clap:

The simplicity of the composition means that the story is very clear and the water looks brilliant frozen like that. It's sharp and clean with good colours. The flash spot isn't too distracting but it is something I feel you should aim to lose if you ever do another similar shot.

Perhaps if I were being hyper critical the vase could be more vertical, but it's pretty close, I had to scroll up & down to see it. (putting the rim & base on the edge of my screen)

Thanks, I'm inspired to have a go at this myself now. (y)

WOW - I :love: this, its SO dynamic! :clap:

The simplicity of the composition means that the story is very clear and the water looks brilliant frozen like that. It's sharp and clean with good colours. The flash spot isn't too distracting but it is something I feel you should aim to lose if you ever do another similar shot.

Perhaps if I were being hyper critical the vase could be more vertical, but it's pretty close, I had to scroll up & down to see it. (putting the rim & base on the edge of my screen)

Thanks, I'm inspired to have a go at this myself now. (y)
Hi Brian. I'm not sure how I would lose the flash reflection as it's needed to freeze the action in a glass vase! Any ideas welcome if you have any :)
Definitely try it though, it was surprisingly easy.

Great take on the theme.. Suits the subject perfectly!.. Like the effect of the flash on the water, looks like ice.. Nice bit of red in the dark tones too

Gravity works well, you've really caught a sense of movement in this.
Clear, sharp and I particularly like the lighting. The reflection of the flash isn't distracting for me, it adds to the movement in the frame as it is vertical and draws the viewers eye down towards the apple.
I can't offer any suggestions as to how it could be avoided Marsha, because as you say the flash is required to freeze the motion. :thinking:
A good week for you, not long until this weeks theme is posted so we can do it all over again :LOL: Iain

Are you accusing me of running late? How very dare you ;)
Who ME !!!! as if :LOL:

Looks like you learn't very well, that's a great effort Marsha (y)

You have lost me on the processing side, I really must spend some time in PSE, I may come to you for tips :)

Nice shot, great use of the theme, the splash is excellent.

Great take on the theme.. Suits the subject perfectly!.. Like the effect of the flash on the water, looks like ice.. Nice bit of red in the dark tones too
Thank you Michelle.

Really good photo, what did you use as a background?
Hi Sam, I used a large black sheet that I got on eBay. I had it under the vase then falling away and held up about a meter behind the vase. I've got a picture of the setup, will post it later.

Gravity works well, you've really caught a sense of movement in this.
Clear, sharp and I particularly like the lighting. The reflection of the flash isn't distracting for me, it adds to the movement in the frame as it is vertical and draws the viewers eye down towards the apple.
I can't offer any suggestions as to how it could be avoided Marsha, because as you say the flash is required to freeze the motion. :thinking:
A good week for you, not long until this weeks theme is posted so we can do it all over again :LOL: Iain
Hi Iain, these weeks are coming around thick and fast :LOL:

excellent :clap: can't add anything to what has already been said
Cheers Allan.

Who ME !!!! as if :LOL:

Looks like you learn't very well, that's a great effort Marsha (y)

You have lost me on the processing side, I really must spend some time in PSE, I may come to you for tips :)
It's really very simple PP on this, you just need to understand the basics of layers & masks.

Nice shot, great use of the theme, the splash is excellent.
Many thanks Martin.

Hi Hun :wave:

now thats a belter....well done for sticking with the learning curve, it was it...lovely lighting which has frozen the splash , enough detail in the apple & a fab black bg :clap:

Hi Lynne & cheers.

Here's the setup:
20130124_224853.jpg

(Excuse the poor quality phone shot and very messy kitchen!)
The actual shot was taken in complete darkness with only the light from the flash used.

Last edited:
I like "gravity" a lot, but I only see the full details in the image when my brightness is set at 100%, so maybe a slight boost in exp/brightness is needed. But good job :)

I like "gravity" a lot, but I only see the full details in the image when my brightness is set at 100%, so maybe a slight boost in exp/brightness is needed. But good job :)

Hi Ollie, glad you like it. Not sure which details you're missing at normal settings? If I increase the brightness it ruins the black background.

I had the idea of getting my daughter to pose so imagine my shock when she complied with my wishes! Alas that meant I was too shocked to grab it properly in focus :bonk: Oh well! This is my nut job being a 'wild' animal, she was actually hissing like a snake at the same time:

I tried cropping it, but it looked odd and lost so much of the shot I decided to leave it wide. I know her left elbow is clipped but she doesn't exactly stand still for long, she was gone about two seconds after this was shot. I tried telling her I was going to eat all the chocolate to make her wild with anger but she just charged at me with her bike and I was too close to focus:wacky::help:
I am aware that the side of her bike helmet is blown too, but YAY the sun has made a rare appearance so we got out and enjoyed it.

All C&C welcome.

Many apologies for my inability at commenting, too tired for words and just about to collapse in a heap in front of the tv now! I will start sometime this year I promise!

Hi marsha :wave:, the crop is the main thing for me here - not minding too much about the chopped-off elbow - its the face and eyes framed by the hands that we're interested in. So I would have definately cropped in (same ratio) to put her eyes central - making it a deliberate choice to loose the elbows and top of helmet to get focus of the face.

But if you don't like it like that - that's fine too. :LOL:

Back