weekly Posiview's 2013 52. Week 52, Water added TTFN.

Hi Andy... :wave:

Been having a play with your hand (oo-er), tried a few different ways of removing one of your other fingers, similar result to yours - but nothing better.

Eventually decided that the skin should roll away at the chop, and would therefore become more in shadow, so simply needs to be darker along the last mm or so of the hand.

I found running the burn tool along the edge, set to a low level (on midtones) to slightly darken the edge, but keep the same colours and textures in made a difference.

But it made me appreciate what a good job you did with a hard task. :clap:

Hi Andy,

Great idea! I like the image, theres plenty of detail and the lighting is great, cant really see the shadow on the bottom you mentioned! Only point is it looks ps'd but its been picked up on before. Your much better at Ps than i am though! Well done!

mmm I looked and looked and could not work out what it had to do with space and then it dawned there was a digit missing...... its different and I quite like it

Thanks...(y)

Interesting take on the theme

No real crit on the photo, but I don't particularly enjoy looking at it!

Cheers, freaks me out a bit looking at it too :nuts:

Andy very original take on the theme, think it looks a bit overdone in PS where the missing finger is but good colour and clever! I don't have the PS expertise to adjust it though.

Yeah, I did clone a part of my palm to the cut section to give it a bit of detail. I suspect given more time I could improve the cut.

Hi Andy... :wave:

Been having a play with your hand (oo-er), tried a few different ways of removing one of your other fingers, similar result to yours - but nothing better.

Eventually decided that the skin should roll away at the chop, and would therefore become more in shadow, so simply needs to be darker along the last mm or so of the hand.

I found running the burn tool along the edge, set to a low level (on midtones) to slightly darken the edge, but keep the same colours and textures in made a difference.

But it made me appreciate what a good job you did with a hard task. :clap:

Appreciate RH detailed crit and input. I did have a quick go in PS, but I have a gargantuan number of photographs to edit and process!

Hi Andy,

Great idea! I like the image, theres plenty of detail and the lighting is great, cant really see the shadow on the bottom you mentioned! Only point is it looks ps'd but its been picked up on before. Your much better at Ps than i am though! Well done!

Yeah, maybe PPd a tad too much. I really need to get my screen calibrated.

Cheers all (y)

Oh, and I have another Space to post. It was a 'mare to d and didn't come off as well as I'd have liked, but hey ho. I'll post it tonight....I'm in Costa at the moment...having returned early from a day out to Swintsy Reservoir after having the dreaded 'ERR' message on my camera :bang:

Cheers.

Second Space (;) Iain).

Taking a SP of the top of my head, in our living room, bouncing flash off the ceiling, was not easy :bonk:

The 'To Let' was actually there but was OOF for the best photograph so I had to copy if from another photograph and put it on this one.

At the time I was very unhappy with it, but it's grown on me. I quite like the composition and the focus isn't too bad. Just a pity I couldn't get it in one photograph.

Anyways.....week 6 tomorrow :D

Week 5 Space 3 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

I couldn't not comment on this seeing as you practically dared me by mentioning my name :LOL:
I like the idea behind this Andy, it couldn't have been easy photographing the top of your own head :LOL:
I admire your creativity Andy, to come up with lots of ideas for these weekly themes, especially as you are now in your third year. :clap:
The image itself I found to be something of an optical illusion, the tops of your ears in the composition adds a comedy touch (well to me anyway :LOL:)

Not long until the next theme is announced (y)

Cheers
Iain

blakester said:
I couldn't not comment on this seeing as you practically dared me by mentioning my name :LOL:
I like the idea behind this Andy, it couldn't have been easy photographing the top of your own head :LOL:
I admire your creativity Andy, to come up with lots of ideas for these weekly themes, especially as you are now in your third year. :clap:
The image itself I found to be something of an optical illusion, the tops of your ears in the composition adds a comedy touch (well to me anyway :LOL:)

Not long until the next theme is announced (y)

Cheers
Iain

Cheers, Iain.

Well, onto Work...:)

Wild.......He must be mad, well paid or wild about his job to be up there in that weather, good choice of 3 shots.

Space..... Now were you born like that or did you loose it in a serious PP accident :LOL:

I like the second one but I would have removed the ears, PP or other means :D

(y)

Prefer the first shot for Space, other than the things mentioned re the hairs, I like it! Really nice idea too! Probably could've made your PP work much easier if you'd shot against a white background? Nice work!
I do like the idea of your second shot (funny take!), but I think the first works better! (y)

lol Andy I do look forward to your 52 themes you always seem to find some thing completly different

Thanks. I do try to think outside the box :D

Wild.......He must be mad, well paid or wild about his job to be up there in that weather, good choice of 3 shots.

Space..... Now were you born like that or did you loose it in a serious PP accident :LOL:

I like the second one but I would have removed the ears, PP or other means :D

(y)

Cheers, Wild, indeed. He was totally fearless :wacky:

Never thought about removing the ears.

Prefer the first shot for Space, other than the things mentioned re the hairs, I like it! Really nice idea too! Probably could've made your PP work much easier if you'd shot against a white background? Nice work!
I do like the idea of your second shot (funny take!), but I think the first works better! (y)

It was a white BG. Just had a quick look and not sure, but on closer inspection, it may have a slight colour cast :thinking:

Cheers.

Hi, all this idea came to mind as soon as I saw the theme.

I wanted some smoke and used an incense stick (much to Isabelle's annoyance...'Dad, that stinks!') underneath. It didn't work. I added some smoke in post, but not that happy really, so I posted one without.

Photographed with my 105mm that brings out all the detail (even the unwanted) and I can now see the odd bit which I'd have liked to remove...but fatigue and 'that stare' from Jackie convinced me otherwise. I like the focus on the melted bit, but now, on reflection, stacking may have improved it.

As usual, I have other ideas which I may/will post :D

Cheers all (y)

Week 6 (does not) Work 2 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Week 6 (Does not) Work by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Last edited:
It looks like a fuse in a plug to me :thinking:
Not sure about this one Andy, as it is difficult to make out what the viewer is looking at, it makes it hard to link it to the theme.
Technically, the lighting works, the focus is bang on too but a tough subject which perhaps needs a different angle/composition. Cheers Iain

looks like a broken fuse to me too but not at all clear so agree with Iain makes it difficult to put with the theme

Too hard to even make a guess at what it is - so does not work for me (geddit :LOL:)....

Now Iain has suggested a fuse in a plug - I can just about make it out.

Is this a crop? As a wider view might give a few more clues... As might greater DOF, or a slight angle rather than looking along the length.

Could it be one of these old glow light bulbs (don’t know if it’s called the same in English as in Norwegian)?

I think it’s a cool picture, especially the one with a bit of smoke :)

It looks like a fuse in a plug to me :thinking:
Not sure about this one Andy, as it is difficult to make out what the viewer is looking at, it makes it hard to link it to the theme.
Technically, the lighting works, the focus is bang on too but a tough subject which perhaps needs a different angle/composition. Cheers Iain

No worries, Iain. It made perfect sence in my head but it's not one of my best. Plenty of time for more, though :D

looks like a broken fuse to me too but not at all clear so agree with Iain makes it difficult to put with the theme

Hi, no worries. I can see it fitting the theme, if tenuously :D

Too hard to even make a guess at what it is - so does not work for me (geddit :LOL:)....

Now Iain has suggested a fuse in a plug - I can just about make it out.

Is this a crop? As a wider view might give a few more clues... As might greater DOF, or a slight angle rather than looking along the length.

It is a sligh crop. No worries, experimentation is what this project is all about (y)

Could it be one of these old glow light bulbs (don’t know if it’s called the same in English as in Norwegian)?

I think it’s a cool picture, especially the one with a bit of smoke :)

Thanks. I quite like the detail but can see how it may not be to some people's taste.

Thanks, all, and I'm gear up to produce a much better take on Work.

Cheers.

The space pic I really like, made me laugh start away. The work one, I'm afraid I've no idea what it is, i can't make out a plug....perhaps it's more of a boys picture ;)

Hi Andy,

Space, I'm afraid the finger shot doesn't quite do it for me, sorry. I agree with Iain about the comedy value of your head sp but the flag looks odd! Well done for getting it in focus, its a challange shooting your back, I know from experience!

Work, or not work. I really like this. I thought it was the filament in a bulb but the clips do look consistent with a fuse. Either way the dof is amazing and the POF is spot on and draws the eye where it matters :clap:

Hi Andy,

Space, I'm afraid the finger shot doesn't quite do it for me, sorry. I agree with Iain about the comedy value of your head sp but the flag looks odd! Well done for getting it in focus, its a challange shooting your back, I know from experience!

Work, or not work. I really like this. I thought it was the filament in a bulb but the clips do look consistent with a fuse. Either way the dof is amazing and the POF is spot on and draws the eye where it matters :clap:

Thanks, Marsha, the finger photograph would look better if I#d spent more time on the actual stump, so to speak. The flag does look quite odd, doesn't it. Sometimes having an assistant would be great.

Work, I really wish I'd stacked this one to get more in focus :bonk:

I have another idea, whoda thunk :D, and bought some props today. Just need to see if I have the skill to pull it off. Something Iain could have helped me with :D

Cheers.

Well, just spent an hour and half on my second Work and realised I didn't have the final prop :bonk:

The object I worked with was an absolute 'mare, and it hasn't turned out as well as I wanted but didn't someone say the journey is half the fun :bat:

Anyways, I'll post tomorrow.

Cheers.

Really liking this one - great colours set off brilliantly by the black of the background. Perfect symmetry too. Love the smoke coming up too - really drives home your idea.

Just one thing I'll keep quiet about, as I'm first in >>>
I can see the sellotape on the right
. :LOL:

Hi Andy

I like you space for comedy value! I guess it must not have been easy shooting the back of your head!

Your latest works are great, it that a standard or industrial fuse? I seen the relations with the theme straight away if its a fuse or lamp , i actually really like your photoshop smoke even though you not too keen on it!

Latest work image of the can is rather creative, lighting in good, plenty or detail nice shot indeed!

Really liking this one - great colours set off brilliantly by the black of the background. Perfect symmetry too. Love the smoke coming up too - really drives home your idea.

Just one thing I'll keep quiet about, as I'm first in >>>
I can see the sellotape on the right
. :LOL:

Thaks, it took some time to set up and produce. Spoiler...yeah, i saw that just after I uploaded but was frazzled...Might edit tonight.

Hi Andy

I like you space for comedy value! I guess it must not have been easy shooting the back of your head!

Your latest works are great, it that a standard or industrial fuse? I seen the relations with the theme straight away if its a fuse or lamp , i actually really like your photoshop smoke even though you not too keen on it!

Latest work image of the can is rather creative, lighting in good, plenty or detail nice shot indeed!

Thanks. It's a standard fuse and thanks foe getting the connection (y) I did have an incense stick underneath but it wasn't working.

Metal work Andy, absolutely spot on for me.
The vivid colours of the can, the dark black background, composition and creative thought process behind it all come together to make it a very accomplished piece.
There is something quite satisfying about having made all the components of a photograph from subject through to the actual photography itself, don't you agree?

Easier to understand than the other one and very creative use of a can of iron bru, better than drinking it. only crit is the sellotape, not like you to miss something like that and the blown out part of the can but that would have been hard to lose.

blakester said:
Metal work Andy, absolutely spot on for me.
The vivid colours of the can, the dark black background, composition and creative thought process behind it all come together to make it a very accomplished piece.
There is something quite satisfying about having made all the components of a photograph from subject through to the actual photography itself, don't you agree?

Too right. I had great fun making it. YouTube is an amazing resource.

Might do some more of these.

Cheers.

alsjazzera said:
Easier to understand than the other one and very creative use of a can of iron bru, better than drinking it. only crit is the sellotape, not like you to miss something like that and the blown out part of the can but that would have been hard to lose.

Cheers. Iron bru is great. I got an 8 cans to work on :)

Sellotape...cannot believe I missed that but I was tired.

The blown part, yeah, I couldn't get rid of in in camera, had to use flash to get detail in the smoke.

Anyway, glad I've redeemed myself :)

Your space shot made me laugh, great idea.

Your first work shot i have no idea what it is! Your other work pic i really like, the colours draw me to it. I didnt see the sellotape either but great effort you have put into making it!

No idea either as to what the first shot is of. Doesn't really work for me, to much going on. I can see the focal point, but it doesn't stand out enough for me. Sorry.

Metalwork - Much better in my opinion, great colours and bang on theme. Great craft skills too. (y)

Any clues as to what the first is of?

Back