weekly ChrisR's first go at a (digital or film) 52: week 37-42 added (to Reflection)

Hi Chris, just catching up on your 52.

Some nice interesting image you've captured so far, I didn't realise you were going for it all on film (y)

"Gravity Reserve" is a very nice capture, great contrast and dof, it could be on the back of a postcard. Well done :)

I think we can allow a bit of lee-way with when you've taken the shots - at least you can keep in sync with everyone else, or get yourself caught up this way.

I much prefer the first gravity shot (your reserve), the people at the bottom give a sense of scale and the snaking path shows their road ahead perfectly.

Wild - even though there's not much showing actually in shot - it's quite easy to know what has gone on. So works really well. Maybe a slightly lower position would have made a difference here?

Hi Chris

Wild....trying to like it but can't quite get there , no real focus point for my eye's...they just keep roaming round the image expecting to see a body...sorry :crying:

Hi Chris,

Gravity:...like both versions tbh.

The rock fall sign in the first gives a sense that the couple are heading out on a pathway to potential danger.....for me, what becomes/became of them adds excitement to the shot.

The people in the second shot put the expanse of their surroundings into perspective and show just how insignificant we are as humans against the natural world.....superb!

Wild: A little unsure on this Chris....I like your interpretation of the theme, however I'm not sure that without knowing beforehand that it related to wild, that I would pick up on that fact purely from looking at the shot alone.

Hi Chris, cropped season is a lovely shot with nice focus, detail and reflections.
I like the gravity shot composition, with the meandering road up and as already said the rockfall sign. The dark image compliments the shot in keeping with the theme. Your wild shot although I can interpret the 'story' it seems to lack something but my inexperience doesn't know what, sorry.

Thanks everyone, I agree the Wild shot is not particularly good. I still like the subject, and think it meets the theme (even if enigmatically), but there's not enough interest to make it a good picture. When I go back to look at the original I see I rather blew the highlights in the feathers and had to pull it back a lot, but I think I left the rest too dark. And it could do with a bit more feature in the "background", somehow. But you have to take a shot like this as it comes; you can't really move the feathers!

Still working on "Space", which definitely won't make it up by Saturday, but I do have some candidate shots...

Having a lot of trouble getting this done, I'll talk a bit more about this in another post. I think the next one for me is week 5, Space (only 3 weeks behind!). I have tried a few that didn't work, and this one seems the best of what I have. I have seen a shot that might be much better, but I've yet to get back to it in the right light.

So this one is: soon to be space!

24150017_zps7929e770.jpg

That's Ilford XP2 on a Pentax MX using a Vivitar 28mm lens on a cloudy day... (a bit more cotrasty on my screen, TBH)

Wild, really like the implied storyline (y)

Space? now look here, you have me all confused because I think this is a great picture, but I have no idea why. I just "like" it. :clap:

Hi, Chris, like Space. B&W works really well and adds to the sad demise of Blockbusters. Filing the frame and the signs really say, " it's over'.

The fact it's a Blockbuster Express has a certain irony, for me.

Good show :bonk:

Cheers.

Thanks guys.

As implied above, and by the changing title to my thread, I'm backing off the idea of trying to do this ALL in film, although I notice I never quite promised that. I'm doing the POTY for the first time, and definitely trying to do that in film all the way through. There are also various film-based challenges over on the "Film and conventional" forum, that are a lot of fun. Anyway, with the batch nature of film, I'm really finding it hard to do this one on film. My alternate idea for Space for example, would not only have to wait for the light to make the shot, but then for the film to be finished (and really at least two films, since postage is too high these days just to send one), then to send it off to the lab and get it back (2-5 days just for that).

So then I realised I'm not using my X10 at all these days, so I'll try with that and maybe I'll catch up. I'll still use film if there's a reasonable subject and the timing works out, but otherwise I'll probably use digital, and particularly for anything staged or of a kind I haven't done before.

Hi Chris :)

Space - Yep that says it well mate, I can hear the horizon police in the background with the top straight edge, but that's very critical - Nice Image indeed (y)

Will be good to see some film shots every now and then, as I feel they have a certain grittiness that is tough to PP into a shot

Last edited:
Nice space shot Chris. Makes for a sad photograph but not because of the quality of the photography, good job (y)

OK here is my second idea for Space. This is the first one I've done on digital, taken on my X10. It certainly takes a lot of the pressure off!

I was taken with the number of these gravestones that were well-tended, and had a clearly reserved space for another name. It speaks of a strog relationship, beyond death!

DSCF4761_zps5acea6a8.jpg

Last Sunday, a rather forlorn, locked building site. They wouldn't have let me in anyway!

DSCF4766_zps86522e05.jpg

I do have a very different "Gluttony" film shot in the camera waiting for me to finish the film, which might be a bit better than this. Definitely a horizon police issue here, but "all you can eat" certainly feels like a call to gluttony.

DSCF4744_zps00fd3a27.jpg

Oh dear, the levels are worse than I thought!

Last edited:
Tried a number of other ideas, including bus stops and post boxes, but this one seems the best to me.

DSCF4751_zps921c83d0.jpg

A converging line problem again I see. I did think of getting square on, but it would have meant kneeling in the middle of the road (as opposed to being just off the pavement)!

Last edited:
Hi, Chris, quick comments from me I'm afraid.

Space, well spotted and sad, yet inevitable space.

Work, on theme but a bit uninspiring.

Gluttony indeed and the 'No loading...' sign really takes it up a level.

Time, on theme but needs a little more.

Good catch up.

Cheers.

definately a space, sadly to be filled some day... great colours in the flowers contrast with the black of the stone...

plenty of work references in the building site - shame about the car park sign but nothing could be done about that.

Eat as much as you like is definitely gluttony, very wonky too... First thought was the loading sign really needs to disappear, but maybe if you see its inference as no loading to the left of the building, but "load" as much as you like in the building it makes sense (for the theme)..

Time might have worked better as just the main sign, the word time is plenty big enough. :LOL:.

I'm seeing that you are one of these photographers that always has your camera with you, well done for that, I'm sure the majority of us could improve our photography by just having our camera with us all the time.

You also seem to have a good eye for spotting things which meet the theme each week, but I would like to see you adding something of your own to your images, that's easier said than done I know, but if you can try and create the scene rather than just finding something that meets the theme you may find your photography improves.

Oh dear, I'm really struggling now! I've had real problems with Juxtaposition, although some options for Letter. I decided to post a couple here so as not to fall even further behind, when I come back and remember Nicky's little extra challenge! I've always thought of photography in an "observe and record" way; manipulate the scene just by position and technique ("leave nothing but footsteps"). I'd not thought so much about constructing scenes, or even adding to them, until trying to critique in this 52.

I have been trying, and have some film shots for the POTY that I should be able to see tomorrow or Monday. There's also one candidate for Letter, but TBH it's not good enough. I may be able to reshoot that one. And instead of dropping in either of the (observed) candidates for Juxtaposition, I'll have another think about whether I can add something, as suggested.

It's not comfortable, but I think that's the point. Try something new even if it feels weird!

So thanks, Nicky (and for the comments Lynne and others, as well).

While I'm still struggling to get something reasonable for Juxtaposition, a couple of films came in that had some shots for earlier weeks. Here's my best early shot for work... photo's too busy I think, but I really did feel for these guys, 8 am on a freezing morning!

34490005_zpsd0020413.jpg

Pentax MX, 135mm Pentax-M, Kodak BW400CN (first time I've used this film in ages... not too enamoured, but I've now got 4 more!).

This was my earlier take on "gluttony"... (sort of constructed, Nicky?)

34490011_zps22db22db.jpg

Same combination as Work redux. Think the focus is a bit off and the lighting is... available... and pretty rubbish!

And this was the shot for Time. It's maybe worth noting that these shots were taken well before I decided to start using my X10 for some of this, but for various reasons it took ages to finish the films and they're only just back. I think this one is a better shot than the corresponding X10 shot. Pentax ME, Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7, Portra 400.

34480001_zps1c6ea623.jpg

PS: Reflections are a problem, aren't they! Should I have used my polarising filter?

Last edited:
As indicated, I've had real problems with this one. I wanted a "constructed" image rather than a "found" one, following Nicky's comments. So I've got two offerings; the first is constructed, having "found" a discarded glove and seeing it as a new kind of plant:

DSCF4975_zpsd02d5e5f.jpg

The second is "found": I just liked the juxtaposition of these LP sleeves in a charity shop:

DSCF49001_zpsdcd6ab55.jpg

I worked quite hard at this one, with lots of options on the table. This was definitely constructed:

DSCF4938_zpsc23aba71.jpg

But I also do like this one, definitely found:

DSCF4971_zpsb3640fcc.jpg

Both these last two weeks were shot with my X10. The Pentax ME is out of action with a light leak, waiting new seals, and the MX may have to go for a CLA...

Now I've got to work out what to do with "Electric". Preferably in less than 3 weeks this time!

Comments welcomed.

Hi Chris

good to see you stretching yourself a bit more & creating some shots...though I also prefer natural found shots , sort of reportage photography /

I really like the juxtaposition shot....spent a while trying to figure out what sort of plant the orange thing was :LOL:

Letter....just a tad to central with the box for me but good to see the letter on the floor..bit more interest to the whole image

Juxtapositon with the album covers...rather eclectic mix of musical tastes there....Elvis...yeah , sound of music...noooo! Good fun angle & colors...only crit would be the lower left corner...not sure how you'd have got round that though

Hi, Chris, cracking catch up :clap:

Work, like it, good perspective and nice motion blur in the nearer worker. Good catch with the nosey bystander :D

Gluttony, nice simple approach and nice detail in (most of the plate). I'd prefer a square composition.

Time, on theme and well spotted. Plenty of detail in there. Polariser would help the reflections but they don't bother me.

Juxtaposition #1 for me. Well spotted.

Letter, VR, wow, can't be many of them about. Then I saw the letter (?) on the floor. I'd prefer better symmetry/square on photograph.

Cheers and another :clap: for using film.

Thanks for the comments, Lynne and Andy. One of the really annoying things about film is when you've only taken one shot and discover 3 weeks later that you like it but it's slightly missing focus!

I've got about 7 different versions of that letter shot. I spent ages trying to work out the position; I did want the letter to be further away to make the composition better, but it had to be very close to fit the "story" of a hastily dropped/mis-posted letter! I think it's actually a tad too close to the bottom of the frame. I wonder if this one works a bit better:

DSCF4942_zps06993fc2.jpg

I like the idea behind your letter pic but cant really tell its a letter looks like litter

Good work chris, that glove must be a marigold... (I'll get my coat) :)

I really like your idea for the letter theme, as you already said as possible improvement would be if we could see some writing and a stamp on the letter.

Keep it up!

Hi Chris, sorry for taking so long to get here, time is not on my side this year!

As such I'm only going to comment on the latest ones.

Juxtaposition, I'm with Lynne I took a while figuring out what the new plant was :bonk:

I like the second one of the LP sleeves, definitely an odd bunch to put together! Lovely bright colours and sharp through out, although the wonky angle (which I like) does have me trying to read the LP's that have been chopped off.

Letter, I prefer the second version with the more square on view, but the letter distracts me rather than add to it. After all, it's obvious what it the main object is. Nice texture and colour in the brickwork contrasts nicely against the red box.

Well done for doing a film 52, it must make the challenge harder?

This is my sole remaining shot for the Electric theme. I found this interesting canal-side site, where the first power station for Coventry was built, and this was the last shot on a roll of Portra 400. It was freezing, and I was rewinding the film with gloves on; it seemed rather stiff. When I got back into town at Max Spielmann to hand the film in for processing, the rewind knob fell off! When I finally got the back open, the film had not rewound; I'm guessing that I was winding it the wrong way. Most of the film was ruined, but the very last shot I took was not affected, for some reason. It was not the best composition, so I've done what I can with it through a very heavy crop.

CNV00001_zps391c6a61.jpg

It's always difficult to know how to handle these shots with converging horizontals; I'm not sure this is at all right!

Another not-very-inspired shot I'm afraid. Shot on Agfa Vista 200 with the Pentax ME after I'd replaced the seals. We are bombarded by direction signs and signals these day, aren't we?

CNV00008-1_zpse90541fb.jpg

(I was quite hopeful of a shot of a Dalek snowman with the sign Exterminate beside him... but it suffered from the usual problems of snow shots: lack of definition and greyness. :puke:)

I also wanted to include this one (just for fun), taken with my X10 last year on a visit to the Holy Land, at the Church of St Peter Gallicantu (where the cock crowed twice).

DSCF1889_zps2ee8445a.jpg

The Holy Stairs are supposed to be the route that Jesus came into Jerusalem.

Electric I really like....could be my ipad but it doesn't look that clear, not so much out of focus but possibly low res

Direction #1 for me is just too busy... I started thinking I wished that you had cropped the tree out....then I thought, could without the bin...and so on...

Direction #2 is the one for me bang on theme and seasonal to boot -Happy Easter :)

Hi, Electric, I like the subject matter, well spotted. I'd prefer it either square on of more oblique.

Direction #2 for me, nice and simple with good detail. Bit more room on the right to emphasise the direction.

Sorry to hear about the ruined film but at least you managed to salvage a decent photograph.

Cheers.

Back