weekly Marsha's 2013 52 - Finally finished!

love re-shoot of season - lovely white - backlit leaves. (y) natural DOF, or some PS blur added?? Can't decide... :thinking:

liking the closeup of the peacock feather "eye" of all the others, great detail in a not often seen view. But instantly recognisable as a peacock tail.

Hi Marsha, I go away for a few days and you post a gazillion shots...

Glad to see you up to date, maybe you can post just 1 next week so I know where to start!

B. (y)
Thanks Brian. And one shot is so last year ;)

love re-shoot of season - lovely white - backlit leaves. (y) natural DOF, or some PS blur added?? Can't decide... :thinking:

liking the closeup of the peacock feather "eye" of all the others, great detail in a not often seen view. But instantly recognisable as a peacock tail.

Hi Graham, the blur is all natural, taken with the 70-200 deliberately at F2.8 :)

The peacocks here are very friendly, it's amazing how close they let you get, this opportunity should not be missed for close ups. Trying to get the feathers on his lower back was a Bridge too far though!

ALERT THE MEDIA, I have evidence of blue sky in May!
OMG !!! I need some of that here !!!

Vertical - Lovely tree and that great angle certainly emphasises the height (y)

Re-Shoot - Season... Oh yes, that is perfect, I can't fault that at all :clap:

Pattern - What a tough choice :thinking: I love the texture on 1, The colours on 2 and the detail/Colours on 4 Hmmmmm :shrug:

Season reshoot really works for me. Liking the oof FG and to avenue that pulls me into the main flowers.

Pattern, the peacock #1 for me. Well composed and good detail.

Cheers.

Marsha, anything with air ambulances in it gets my vote, as I got a ride (unwanted) in the Thames Valley one a few years ago. For me the first re-crop is the pick, a great shot!

Rustic: surely the word is almost defined by nothing being vertical! I like the first one best, and thought the sky and the wires were fine (there's even an echo in the line of wires to a line in the clouds).

Vertical: hmmm. Sorry, this one's not for me!

Pattern: four great shots. The show-off peacock is wonderful, specially the closeup, but for me the second tree trunk shot pips it in. Such wonderul textures and colours! Love it.

the peacock feather is fantastic some really nice colour in there

OMG !!! I need some of that here !!!

Vertical - Lovely tree and that great angle certainly emphasises the height (y)

Re-Shoot - Season... Oh yes, that is perfect, I can't fault that at all :clap:

Pattern - What a tough choice :thinking: I love the texture on 1, The colours on 2 and the detail/Colours on 4 Hmmmmm :shrug:

Cheers DK, I hope you had some sunshine over there today?

Season reshoot really works for me. Liking the oof FG and to avenue that pulls me into the main flowers.

Pattern, the peacock #1 for me. Well composed and good detail.
Many thanks Andy.

Marsha, anything with air ambulances in it gets my vote, as I got a ride (unwanted) in the Thames Valley one a few years ago. For me the first re-crop is the pick, a great shot!

Rustic: surely the word is almost defined by nothing being vertical! I like the first one best, and thought the sky and the wires were fine (there's even an echo in the line of wires to a line in the clouds).

Vertical: hmmm. Sorry, this one's not for me!

Pattern: four great shots. The show-off peacock is wonderful, specially the closeup, but for me the second tree trunk shot pips it in. Such wonderul textures and colours! Love it.
Hi Chris, I think everyone who gets a trip with the air ambulance is both unfortunate and blessed! I have spoken with the crews tonight to see if they want copies of these :) Glad you like my tree trunk shot too:)

#1 for pattern, the colours, texture, compositions are all spot on.
Thanks Mark, yay another fan of the tree :)

the peacock feather is fantastic some really nice colour in there
Cheers Allan.

Hi Marsha :wave:
What a great set of images posted since i last commented (y)

Your re-shoot of season is a very unusual and creative take, having the central blossom in focus whilst the surrounding flowers really draws my eye into the frame, I really like that.

For your pattern shots, if I were to choose one, I am torn between #1 for the warmer colour tones, #2 for the more vibrant blue/turquoise colour tones and #4 the eye of the peacock feather :thinking:
So many worthy images, I really like them all.

Blinkin heck girlie....mega catch up !

The village scene for Rustic if picture postcard stuff...great colors , plenty of detail , just how a village should be :clap:

Pattern....Love the peacock on the bench & the detail caught in it's tail is wonderfull (y)

Your reshoot of Season.....beautifully sharp with lovely use of DOF so your eye is drawn to the centree....works so well :clap:

Nearly forgot Vertical....yup,not good for your neck at all but a lovely shot :)

Last edited:
These things are fast, they can go 30mph, so quite proud I got this at all. There are a few others on Flickr.

In an ideal world I wouldn't have had the door open in the background, the toy dump truck top right (slightly desaturated) and the shadow perfectly on the table, but hey ho!

C & C welcome as always.

Last edited:
I decided to experiment with some fill flash whilst trying to shoot my movement shot, got this as a bonus! Who needs a Little tikes slide when you have a cardboard box:

One definition for below is 'father down, as along a slope or valley' Tenuous? Probably, but I liked the shot and I was laying on the floor so lower than them :whistle:

Last edited:
Movement:

These things are fast, they can go 30mph, so quite proud I got this at all.

In an ideal world I wouldn't have had the door open in the background, the toy dump truck top right (slightly desaturated) and the shadow perfectly on the table, but hey ho!

C & C welcome as always.

Hi Marsha, You've done your own critique so what can I add?

Well, I agree with all of the above, you did well and learnt something for next time.

Below: I think this is spot on for the theme not tenuous at all. I love the angle and the light/shadows and the look on his face too. A great shot of the little ones, one for the mantelpiece I recon. (y)

Movement:

Hi Marsha, You've done your own critique so what can I add?

Well, I agree with all of the above, you did well and learnt something for next time.

Cheers Brian, doesn't it make the commenting easier when we do our own crit first? I actually got a great shot of this car in flight, alas my sneaky son managed to ruin it by getting in the background!

Below: I think this is spot on for the theme not tenuous at all. I love the angle and the light/shadows and the look on his face too. A great shot of the little ones, one for the mantelpiece I recon. (y)
Thank you, they were very pleased that the car ramp turned out to make an excellent slide! And shooting at this angle should be encouraged for everyone to try at least once, mind you it does help when the sun is shining and the ground is dry!

Just got around to commenting on your thread this week ;)

Movement, I never noticed the truck in the background until you mentioned it, I don't think it distracts at all from the car.
I like it as is, the shadow works well, yes its clipped a little but again its in no way a distraction, you're too critical of yourself :D
Its bang on theme, you've really captured the sense of movement here. I take it Mr Goblin was driving it or were you able to multi-task :LOL:

Below, not tenuous at all (y)
Lovely bright photograph capturing a moment and telling a little story in itself. I have said before but I do enjoy images where there is a personal touch to it and this is one. The kids engrossed in what they are doing really make this Marsha, lovely.

Just got around to commenting on your thread this week ;)

Movement, I never noticed the truck in the background until you mentioned it, I don't think it distracts at all from the car.
I like it as is, the shadow works well, yes its clipped a little but again its in no way a distraction, you're too critical of yourself :D
Its bang on theme, you've really captured the sense of movement here. I take it Mr Goblin was driving it or were you able to multi-task :LOL:

:LOL: Iain yes Mr Goblin was driving, over my toes a lot which is rather annoying and a bit painful! I know my job requires a strong ability to multi task but this would have been a bridge too far:nuts: I did use this as an experiment in using the 2nd curtain sync and the rather useful ISO 50 to try and reduce the shutter speed to get movement. The flash worked well to pick up the detail on the wheels and spoiler.

Below, not tenuous at all (y)
Lovely bright photograph capturing a moment and telling a little story in itself. I have said before but I do enjoy images where there is a personal touch to it and this is one. The kids engrossed in what they are doing really make this Marsha, lovely.
They played on this box for quite a while before hunger and misery kicked in, and randomly two hours later Jack throws a temperature :shake: Got to love kids!

Thankfully a quiet afternoon at work is allowing me some time to catch up on a few comments.

movement well caught yes there are things in the BG but I dont find them too distracting.
You can't beat a cardboard box, I used to think I would buy my kids boxes for their presents it would have saved a lot of money, I think the pic is fine for below I also like the quirky angle (y)

Hi Marsha

MOvement.....love how you got the wheels so sharp yet managed to show movement in the rest of the shot..(y) You've given yourself all the crit....I can image you will be trying this shot again :D

Below...yup , on theme , nice n bright , spot on focus....(y)

Movement, good detail and pin sharp in the wheel. The shadow really works for me.

Below, yeah, I guess you are below :cautious: Nice detail and colours. Kids and their boxes :D

Cheers.

Good catch for movement - small and fast has to be double tricky. I used to be into these things before I sold up to get a camera. :crying:

below, fantastic POV, looks like the sun wasn;t the best but doesn;t seem to have harmed too much. Lovely summertime shot of the kids in the garden. (y)

movement well caught yes there are things in the BG but I dont find them too distracting.
You can't beat a cardboard box, I used to think I would buy my kids boxes for their presents it would have saved a lot of money, I think the pic is fine for below I also like the quirky angle (y)

Thanks Allan, I discovered a while ago that *rubbish* actually makes the best toys after my kids snubbed a £10 bath toy over an empty shampoo bottle! I never spend much on them as the simplest things are the best!

Hey Marsha :)

Movement - Well captured, liking the shadow of the car on the ramp too... Nice one :)

Below - They look like they are loving that, low angle is great and the quirky angle works real well (y)

Cheers DK.

Hi Marsha

MOvement.....love how you got the wheels so sharp yet managed to show movement in the rest of the shot..(y) You've given yourself all the crit....I can image you will be trying this shot again :D

Below...yup , on theme , nice n bright , spot on focus....(y)

Thanks Lynne, I probably will try and shoot that car again, it certainly concentrates the mind on focusing ability!

Movement, good detail and pin sharp in the wheel. The shadow really works for me.

Below, yeah, I guess you are below :cautious: Nice detail and colours. Kids and their boxes :D

Cheers Andy, I think?

Good catch for movement - small and fast has to be double tricky. I used to be into these things before I sold up to get a camera. :crying:

below, fantastic POV, looks like the sun wasn;t the best but doesn;t seem to have harmed too much. Lovely summertime shot of the kids in the garden. (y)

Thanks Graham. My hubby was looking to sell this and all the bits but apparently he just can't do it, and the kids love being chased by it now!

The sun moves out of my garden early as you can see it already creeping across. It's amazing the difference a bit of fill flash adds though.

Well my plan to catch up on commenting on night shift hasn't come to fruition :razz:

Hi Marsha

Season reshoot - unlike others, I am not sure about this. I think that the colours are great (and I have said that before about your shots) but there is somehting about the focus and dof that does not seem to suit my eyes. But the colours are so good that I like it anyway

Pattern - the tree bark shots have a lot of merit but once i saw the peacock, they kind of faded in comparision. I do like the posed shot, nice bench and he even had the sense to get into a third of it. (y)

Movement - cracking shot. Agree about the b/g but the shot has so much impact with the speed, colours and that great shadow, that the b/g becomes irrelevant.

Below - I like the angle, the colours, your son's shadow and the concentration on their faces. Excellent.

Vertical: Nice shot and on theme, great to see the blue sky!

Pattern: All nice shots but i love the peacocks tail close up, beautiful colours and details.

Movement: Well done for getting it in the first place! Couldnt have been easy! Also like the 2nd shot, nice and fun! Of course we can buy our kids the most expensive things but we all know they would rather have the boxes :LOL:

Cheers Alan, I must say I'm rather proud of those :) The one of Jack and his cheeky grin may have needed some Toblerone persuasion!

My favourite shot though is being saved for Septembers POTY! It's very rare that the planets align and I get a shot a) in focus b) well composed, c) well lit and d) a happy subject!

Great picture of the children, for "below", so sharp and clear. Made me smile, they look like they were having fun. Well done Marsha.

Movement also well executed, and clever idea.

Marsha, sorry to be behind in commenting.

Movement: pretty good go at panning there, you're right the busy background is a distraction. Is that moire on the truck?

Below: I really liked that. You're definitely Below, and there are lots of lovely angles around that add to the dynamic feel to the shot. And you can't go wrong when kids are so obviously having fun!

Check me out, behind again, there's a surprise!

I took these after the trooping the colour ceremony and flypast in London. I knew we would get a cheeky flypast at work so took my camera in!

In the middle is the new RAF Voyager, otherwise known as an Airbus A330-200 with a wingspan of 198ft! Flanked by two tiny Typhoon's (35.9ft wingspan) and two Tornado GR-4's (wingspan here 45.6 ft but it can be 28.2 ft when swept and going really fast:geek: )

But I couldn't decide and had to show this as well:

The rather large C-17 flanked by two HS-125's (my Station based ac, proud to serve and all that:exit: ) It doesn't look that big until you realise that the winglet's on the C-17 are 9ft tall:bonk: See here.

Disclaimer, I am not a spotter, all technical information above may have been gleaned from Wikipedia. The winglet bit I did know though :geek:

C&C Welcome. But before anyone mentions that they are a bit wonky, they're not. The aircraft were all entering a right hand turn as they went over us to get out of the London control zone. I tried levelling them off but they all looked odd.
The rest of the shots are on Flickr if you're interested.

Last edited:
The recovery process!

From having a baby to any type of surgery, tea and toast is the best therapy. And it always tastes better when someone else brings it to you on a tray, in bed!

Thankfully I was hiding behind my curtain so nobody saw me photographing this with my phone :geek:

And it has been given some photoshop loving to tidy it up! Definitely a reshoot week but C&C welcome.

Cheers Chris.

What's a moire?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XHtdGJfVd2w#t=18s :D

Love them both for size, for an impromptu one chance flypast you got a pretty good spot (insider knowledge??), almost directly below, a great sky for it with flufy clouds too. Actually think the first is better - nice detail retained in the shadows of the underside.

and process brought a smile to my face - hope you're feeling better, (y). That's the one thing my wife remembers well from when our two were born, the midwives bring you tea and toast, yum. Like the cheeky feet poking out from under the covers.

Last edited:

*That's Amore* (singing) :ty: for today's ear worm! :LOL:

Love them both for size, for an impromptu one chance flypast you got a pretty good spot (insider knowledge??), almost directly below, a great sky for it with flufy clouds too. Actually think the first is better - nice detail retained in the shadows of the underside.

Thanks, I found out by accident on the Thursday that they would depart London via our overhead, I was hoping they'd be low enough for some good shot! The Red's gave us a little smoke as they went over as well, the show off's!

and process brought a smile to my face - hope you're feeling better, (y). That's the one thing my wife remembers well from when our two were born, the midwives bring you tea and toast, yum. Like the cheeky feet poking out from under the covers.
It's crazy that they bring you toast on top of pain killers that do nothing for your bowels :puke: But it's always appreciated!
As for my feet, I wanted to try and get the little labels in on those lovely compression (torture) stockings, but it was too difficult to manoeuvre everything around!
I am on the mend and enjoying the rest. Once I've caught up with a bit of my photo back log I'll get round to some commenting again.

I'm not really allowed out much just now so gone for the blatantly obvious whilst utilising some pebbles I have in the house.

This is the JPEG pretty much SOOC, just sharpened and cropped a bit. I've gone a bit mono mad with the strong contrasts this week.

All C&C welcome.

Back