weekly Cowboys 52 in 2013 Done and dusted

great place to get a shot for process, this has to go down as a potentially, or nearly great shot, I think its down to the processing and teh fact that it's a bit tight on the overall scene, although I imagine you;re restricted to angles you can shoot from, and distance is probably not your friend either...

Is this a crop from a wider shot by any chance?

Good Idea for the theme but It looks flat to me, I took ages to work out what it was, perhaps you pushed it a bit too far? Nice try.

I do like big machines :D another interesting take, but the lack of contrast between the truck and the surrounding makes it blend in a bit too much.

Cheers.

great place to get a shot for process, this has to go down as a potentially, or nearly great shot, I think its down to the processing and teh fact that it's a bit tight on the overall scene, although I imagine you;re restricted to angles you can shoot from, and distance is probably not your friend either...

Is this a crop from a wider shot by any chance?

Thanks.
I needed to take the shot from across the road and on a bit of a hill due to height of the fence and then crop down to a usable image.

I was a bit concerned with the processing, probably a bit much.

Good Idea for the theme but It looks flat to me, I took ages to work out what it was, perhaps you pushed it a bit too far? Nice try.

Thanks.

I do like big machines :D another interesting take, but the lack of contrast between the truck and the surrounding makes it blend in a bit too much.

Cheers.

Thanks.

Hi Mark :)

Rock - Shame about your model, but seems you made the most of what you had and have come up with something that is not bad, interesting set up, would prefer more guitar but I like the flash reflection in the glasses (y)

Pair - Mmmmmmm they look tempting, I like the background, the lighting looks nice and even and the sugar looks nice and white too :)

Being a musician I like rock...is that a slash reference, or just your normal getup when playing? ;)
I'm not overly keen of the angle of this in relation to where it is in the frame. Perhaps top of the neck would have been better top left or top right corner? Also I think it would benefit a shallower DoF to draw the eye down to the pick-up and hat area a bit more.

Pair....I really like it, no real crit :clap:

Rock - Shame about your model, but seems you made the most of what you had and have come up with something that is not bad, interesting set up, would prefer more guitar but I like the flash reflection in the glasses (y)

Pair - Mmmmmmm they look tempting, I like the background, the lighting looks nice and even and the sugar looks nice and white too :)

Thanks.

Being a musician I like rock...is that a slash reference, or just your normal getup when playing? ;)
I'm not overly keen of the angle of this in relation to where it is in the frame. Perhaps top of the neck would have been better top left or top right corner? Also I think it would benefit a shallower DoF to draw the eye down to the pick-up and hat area a bit more.

Pair....I really like it, no real crit :clap:

Cheers.
My 11 year old is a big Slash fan, he has the hair to go with this.

Not too sure about rock - maybe it needed the model?? triptych of the three items?? not sure the cloth background works? dunno....

pair works really well though, love the shape of the plate echoing the shape of the strawberries themselves... strawberries and cream would work too - just being poured over... yumyumyum!! :LOL:

Mark, sorry I'm way behind in commenting now. Probably in chunks...

Below: Composition is nice, and exposure on the under-side of the bridge and the foreshore both look good. The water and sky both look a bit over-exposed to me, though I'm not sure what you could have done about it! Actually after thinking, I quite like this! It may be that what saves it from being uninteresting are the small pieces driving down from the underside of the birdge, driving my eye towards other parts of the picture.

Movement: I started out preferring the second (High Force), then thinking maybe it needed a crop off the right hand side, then thinking that there are some subtleties in the first that take it up a level (particularly that diagonal rock line leading from the upper RHS down towards the fall). But good job on both of these.

As to movement... I'm known to be a bit of a grump thinking that long exposures show artificial stasis rather than movement! But that may be because I've never achieved one yet (;-)...

Size: cropped version definitely better, and I do like it. Personally, I would have preferred a smidgin more depth of field; the needle shank goes out of focus just a bit too quickly for my liking, although this is much less of an issue with the crop.

Process... not for me I'm afraid, just too hard to parse visually and there's a strange OOF area top left.

Rock and Pair: I like!

I like the comp and angles in Rock, and the flash light in the glasses gives it a bit of life. I'd be tempted to lose the green reflection out of the right hand side lens though.

The colours in pair are lovely, those reds against that blue work really well.

Hi Chris

Rock.....kinda like it but just something about niggles me.....like the flash reflection in the glasses ,like the positioning of the hat ,may be just a tad to close n dark at the bottom of the frame ?

Pair....great choice of background color,works really well against the red pate & strawbs....the sugar is perfectly white....& focus spot on.....It would be absolutely perfect if the bg was consistent....a slightly brighter patch to the rhs ?.....other than that it's a top shot mister :clap:

Shape....think it's #2 for me.....pretty impressive stack of rocks with good focus & colors....might be tempted to clone out the blown bit of sky ?

No2 the stack of rocks for me bit less DoF would have worked better maybe

Shame about the model, I think you did well considering.

I think you have done a marvelous job on pair. :clap:

Shape? I don't really get the reference TBH but that's a great stack of rocks! I'm with allan on the DOF, perhaps a subtle vignette and a bit more contrast would likt it?

Interesting point. "Something distinguished from its surroundings by its outline.' maybe. For 2 a bit more separation between the rocks and the BG, maybe?

I rather like it, though, however, anything that resembles Andy Goldsworthy works for me :D

... does he look like a wall? :LOL:

I really like the composition of shape #1, the way the rocks pull you up to the sky.

Thanks all.

My thinking behind shape was either a line of shapes (the wall) or a stack of them rather than just a single shape.

Plenty
I've been trying to get a suitable shot for this for a while and I seem to have hit a wall with it, so as someone said "post and be damned" ;)

Plenty
of ice?

Plenty by cowboy72, on Flickr

Hi Mark
Agree with DK no need for the saucer and the composition lacks something :thinking: exposure is good(y)

I like the idea. I think it has promise. In theory you could do a selective colour replacement on the green BG

I wonder if you could have taken it whilst pouring and edited your hand out afterwards?...

Plenty - Well, for me it could do without the fussy out of centre 'saucer' as it also clips the glass, The glass and can work well on their own, A nice glint to the ice and well lit, not sure on the colour of the background but again a nice and even (y)

Thanks.
I always miss something :crying: :cool:

Hi Mark
Agree with DK no need for the saucer and the composition lacks something :thinking: exposure is good(y)

Thanks.

It does need a little something doesn't it.

I like the idea. I think it has promise. In theory you could do a selective colour replacement on the green BG

I wonder if you could have taken it whilst pouring and edited your hand out afterwards?...

Thanks.

Needs a chin stroking smilie.

As you have already commented I know I'm a little bit late... sorry :(

So I'll just say hiya :wave: and try to be quicker next week. (there's a joke in there somewhere Mark :D )

On theme, and I like the idea. Not sure about the overall composition, but the lighting and colours are nice.

Plenty
I've been trying to get a suitable shot for this for a while and I seem to have hit a wall with it, so as someone said "post and be damned" ;)

Feeling a bit of that myself a couple of weeks back...... push through it though...

Plenty.... I feel the glass is too central, the background a bit close behind, the saucer distracting, and the can too straight on, (would prefer one logo, with space either side of it).

Think the pouring idea has some mileage in it, but would that loose the "plenty" theme?

Also feels a bit dark - and checking the histogram shows that too.

But its good and sharp, focus and DOF are spot on too. (y)

Hope all that's not too harsh. :exit:

Thanks everyone.

Feeling a bit of that myself a couple of weeks back...... push through it though...

Plenty.... I feel the glass is too central, the background a bit close behind, the saucer distracting, and the can too straight on, (would prefer one logo, with space either side of it).

Think the pouring idea has some mileage in it, but would that loose the "plenty" theme?

Also feels a bit dark - and checking the histogram shows that too.

But its good and sharp, focus and DOF are spot on too. (y)

Hope all that's not too harsh. :exit:

Thanks for that, good honest helpful crit is always welcome (y)

Good one. (although I must say I like your moto x ones better!)

Classic car. Classic panning shot. Simple composition. Nice. :)

Improvements? well, perhaps a small lift to the shadows would give us a better look at the car itself... maybe. :)

come on Mark, catch up it's week 31! :D

good panning shot of a nice mini, again a bit more room at the front of the mini for me

As above, maybe a little more space to run into might be nice, but it's a nice shot anyway. The blur is lovely, giving a really nice sense of movement. The glare on the bonnet and the hard shadow give a great feeling of watching racing in the sunshine.

Back