weekly Marsha's 2013 52 - Finally finished!

I prefer the second one too. Good choice of subject for the theme and I like the way you have approached this. POV DOF & exposure all in perfect harmony. Nice shot!

Hi ya hun :wave:

I'm quite partial to set of steps....& like both of these for different reasons...

#1 is simple , great DOF with fab detail in the peeling paint & probably me preferred shot :clap:

#2....the blown bit works brilliantly...like you going up in to an alien space craft (y) The only bit I'm not keen on is the reflection strangley enough....I keep scrolling up n down & prefer it cropped to the 4th step....just my preference & I always am a bit odd :LOL:

Speed - Lovely and sharp and also loving the low angle and the bike low in the frame too, the bit of heat haze at the rear rounds it off nicely (y)

What Dean said about speed Marsha (y)
My thoughts exactly, lazy crit I know :LOL:

#1 for steps gets my vote Marsha (y)

I like it for its simplicity, its very effective with your chosen focal point.
The steps draw the viewers eye in and down the steps. I particularly like the vibrant blue colour, contrasting with the worn parts.

#2 I like too and I can see why you chose it but when viewed together, #1 just shades it.

I think you are doing so well to find the time to keep up with your 52 what with everything that is going on with The Family Goblin :LOL:

Hey Marsha :)

Steps - Oooo tough one, a couple of great shots there... I like the first shot, a good DoF but there is something not quite right, my brain doesn't like the angle, maybe it's because I feel I'm below it :thinking:

Nowe I move onto the next, My brain now tells me the top is too blown, But I'm not listening, I love it, it fades out really nicely, ass if almost into the heavens, great PoV and also the flaking paint - Excellent :clap:

The poppy shot is lovely, the combination of flowers and seed heads works really well. The DOF really sets it off.

Speed's a cracker too, lovely and sharp, and great light. The prone rider gives a sense of speed, but a lower shutter speed and a bit of panning would really help.

Steps #1 takes it for me. Just everything, focus, DOF, colour, composition, makes for a really nice image.

Well it appears I missed a few comments before I vanished off and moved house, whoops!

I prefer the second one too. Good choice of subject for the theme and I like the way you have approached this. POV DOF & exposure all in perfect harmony. Nice shot!

Hi ya hun :wave:

I'm quite partial to set of steps....& like both of these for different reasons...

#1 is simple , great DOF with fab detail in the peeling paint & probably me preferred shot :clap:

#2....the blown bit works brilliantly...like you going up in to an alien space craft (y) The only bit I'm not keen on is the reflection strangley enough....I keep scrolling up n down & prefer it cropped to the 4th step....just my preference & I always am a bit odd :LOL:

What Dean said about speed Marsha (y)
My thoughts exactly, lazy crit I know :LOL:

#1 for steps gets my vote Marsha (y)

I like it for its simplicity, its very effective with your chosen focal point.
The steps draw the viewers eye in and down the steps. I particularly like the vibrant blue colour, contrasting with the worn parts.

#2 I like too and I can see why you chose it but when viewed together, #1 just shades it.

I think you are doing so well to find the time to keep up with your 52 what with everything that is going on with The Family Goblin :LOL:

Steps - Oooo tough one, a couple of great shots there... I like the first shot, a good DoF but there is something not quite right, my brain doesn't like the angle, maybe it's because I feel I'm below it :thinking:

Nowe I move onto the next, My brain now tells me the top is too blown, But I'm not listening, I love it, it fades out really nicely, ass if almost into the heavens, great PoV and also the flaking paint - Excellent :clap:

The poppy shot is lovely, the combination of flowers and seed heads works really well. The DOF really sets it off.

Speed's a cracker too, lovely and sharp, and great light. The prone rider gives a sense of speed, but a lower shutter speed and a bit of panning would really help.

Steps #1 takes it for me. Just everything, focus, DOF, colour, composition, makes for a really nice image.

Many thanks everyone, all comments appreciated. A huge apology for not saying so earlier!

Anyhow, best I get on with a catch up!

I really didn't want to do a B&W shot but I just didn't have time to search for anything that fitted what was in my mind! So I went for the B&W :bonk:

This was taken a few days before we flew to Cyprus. We had gone to look at the construction site so my Hubby could obsess over some diggers!
I really like the detail in the fence, the mesh covering the fence acted as quite a nice diffuser!

My original idea for this got packed!

So I looked for some ideas in Cyprus. Whilst cycling along the cliffs we passed this radar tower. It's a secondary surveillance radar, it's used to interrogate the transponder on an aircraft. Air traffic controllers can monitor the position of the aircraft and monitor the aircraft's height and ground speed. In the event of a radio failure controllers can ask the crews basic question and they can use the squawk by making it flash to give specific answers. It's an extremely vital link in aviation.

Definition of connection: a communications link between two points.

Shoe horn anyone?

Who the hell though up this theme?

Ok, so I asked for advice on landscape techniques on the forum, and one gentleman mentioned cloud being really important! You try and find a cloud in Cyprus:shrug:
Whilst up Troodos and Mount Olympus this cloud appeared, and almost as fast it disappeared!

What do you see? I saw a prancing reindeer, my mother in law saw a helicopter, you may or may not see a shoehorn! Either way it made me chuckle.

Last edited:
We went looking for curvy bendy roads up the mountains. Instead I found this curving tree line in the foreground with the coast curving away behind!

Phew, I think that's me caught up for now. Any C&C welcome and I will get round to EVERYONE's thread over the next week or two!

Hi Marsha - hope all is going well...

lovely cute expression on mono - love the light feel to it,
lovely blue sky for your connection shot...
Great composition of sophie looking out at the aircraft.. (what theme was this for??) rather like portraits where you don;t see the face, but you can capture the moment and the nose of the plane over her shoulder is great..
I havent seen a hedgehog for years, he does look a fair size, and nice and still on the greass.
Whimsical was a toughie, but in fairness I think we've had waaaay more easy ones than hard themes. i see a sort of submarine type thing, or a GUP from the Octonauts...... Funny to just get a single cloud in the lovely blue sky... certainly never gets that colour over here.
And teh coast curving out of shot works welll, more than the curve of the hillside tbh. the lack of discernable horizon help the shot no end...

Beginning: a stunner, great story, perfectly shot. A lump in my throat? not me! It must be dusty in here, there's something in my eye....

A,hem.

I think that your whimsical is the best of the week. What could be more whimsical than cloud spotting? - great choice of cloud too, to me it looks like the ferrari prancing horse... or is it a cow, or some cheese! :D

Good to have you back misses! (y)

Hi Marsha :wave:

Great catch up.

Mono, lovely smile/expression you've captured here. The eye contact makes it for though, really engages the viewer. Perfect.

Connection, :LOL: what a shoehorn ;) but I never noticed because my head was spinning with your technical speak :LOL:
Small crit, its just a little central but beyond the pov you've taken it from, I am not sure how else you could tackle this subject.

Beginning, lovely backstory to this one, and its an image which will provoke many memories for you in years to come. Again perfect.

Still, yep bang on theme and again an image which I am sure will remind you of your moving day :D

Whimsical, :LOL: inspired. i am sure some psychologist would have a field day on peoples interpretation of the cloud pattern. :LOL:

I too see a prancing deer, a scooter, a shark with a dodgy fin to name but a few :LOL:

Curve, works well on the theme, I particularly like the recession of the coast in the background, drawing the viewers eye in and through.

See you Sunday missus, looking forward to our walkabout :D

Mono is just lovely. The expression, the eye contact, the framing from the left, the texture in the mesh... Everything.

Connection is on theme, and the gradient in the sky really helps.

Beginning really works for me, really poignant given the explanation.

I'm not sure about the hedgehog. On theme, but I think a little more DOF would help.

I like Whimsical. It's one of those shots that you can keep coming back to and seeing something else. Good colours, and the solitary cloud looks odd in a good way. It's clearly a prancing beastie from a Dr Seuss boook!

Curve is nice. The curve of the coast through the heat haze, and the defined curve of the hill almost look like two different shots.

Beginning: a stunner, great story, perfectly shot. A lump in my throat? not me! It must be dusty in here, there's something in my eye....

A,hem.

I think that your whimsical is the best of the week. What could be more whimsical than cloud spotting? - great choice of cloud too, to me it looks like the ferrari prancing horse... or is it a cow, or some cheese! :D

Good to have you back misses! (y)

Many thanks for the kind comments Brian, much appreciated.

Hi Marsha :wave:

Great catch up.

Mono, lovely smile/expression you've captured here. The eye contact makes it for though, really engages the viewer. Perfect.

Cheers Iain, I really like this shot.

Connection, :LOL: what a shoehorn ;) but I never noticed because my head was spinning with your technical speak :LOL:
Small crit, its just a little central but beyond the pov you've taken it from, I am not sure how else you could tackle this subject.

Shoehorn me, possibly! It was difficult to get any kind of interesting angle, I was just happy that the gradient in the sky is constant across the shot, didn't look at how central it is!

Beginning, lovely backstory to this one, and its an image which will provoke many memories for you in years to come. Again perfect.

Still, yep bang on theme and again an image which I am sure will remind you of your moving day :D

Cheers, she only stared at it for about five seconds but we'll not mention her attention span!

And yes that hedgehog will be remembered!

Whimsical, :LOL: inspired. i am sure some psychologist would have a field day on peoples interpretation of the cloud pattern. :LOL:

I too see a prancing deer, a scooter, a shark with a dodgy fin to name but a few :LOL:

I think we all need to see doctors to be fair!

Curve, works well on the theme, I particularly like the recession of the coast in the background, drawing the viewers eye in and through.

See you Sunday missus, looking forward to our walkabout :D

Cheers Iain, and yes I look forward to seeing you tomorrow :)

Mono is just lovely. The expression, the eye contact, the framing from the left, the texture in the mesh... Everything.

Connection is on theme, and the gradient in the sky really helps.

Beginning really works for me, really poignant given the explanation.

I'm not sure about the hedgehog. On theme, but I think a little more DOF would help.

I like Whimsical. It's one of those shots that you can keep coming back to and seeing something else. Good colours, and the solitary cloud looks odd in a good way. It's clearly a prancing beastie from a Dr Seuss boook!

Curve is nice. The curve of the coast through the heat haze, and the defined curve of the hill almost look like two different shots.

Hi Nick, many thanks for the comments. Always appreciated. I have started back on the comments, it'll take me a while but I hope to get around to everyone's threads eventually.

Hi hun

Hope you're settling into your new life in sunny Cyprus (y)

In no particular order......

Mono...that's a beautiful capture...she looks so sweet & innocent (y)

Connection......sharp & I like how the blue sky fades to the bottom of the shot

Stilll....how cute is that...:love:

Whimiscal....I see a reindeer too....:clap:

Curve....that is one stunning view :clap:

That curve shot is breathtaking, Marsha. Absolutely lovely.

Many thanks Tony.

Hi hun

Hope you're settling into your new life in sunny Cyprus (y)

In no particular order......

Mono...that's a beautiful capture...she looks so sweet & innocent (y)

Connection......sharp & I like how the blue sky fades to the bottom of the shot

Stilll....how cute is that...:love:

Whimiscal....I see a reindeer too....:clap:

Curve....that is one stunning view :clap:

Cheers Lynne. I'm back from Cyprus now for a few months!

Hi Marsha

Thats really nice the river looks like ice and its a great B+W conversion, perfect for the theme.
Some of the most stupid people work there too

From the mega catch up really like curve and mono, love the way both curves work together and that is just a really nice pic of your daughter, a great expression (y)

Ok, so the idea for this photo may have been 'borrowed' but it fits the theme too well for me not to use it.

Solitude to me is feeling lonely when surrounded by crowds. The world can feel like it's rushing past while others stand unaware and miss it!

Last edited:
I really like this Marsha, showing the wider scene works better IMHO.
The selective colour on the buses adds an extra dimension I feel.

Power works well too, you've held detail in the sky on what was a grey day.

That's you all up to date, put your feet up, I am sure they will welcome it after yesterday's little trek :LOL:

Power.
A very suitable shot for the theme, long exposure countering the plain sky nicely, well processed too, keeping the details in the highlights of the river and I love the touch of colour you've kept inthe shot. Much more striking than a complete B&W. Well done!

Solitude. (or solidarity.. :thinking:)
Nice to see the same scene taken in the same way... yet giving a different result..... I really like this one, the bus really elevating the shot, and a perfect use of SC.

Only thing for me is on the conversion, the ground under the statue has come out a little too light, lending an almost hovering feel to the staue. Tiny point in a really cool shot though Marsha.

Hold on - are you actually not only up to date - but ahead of almost everyone??

I really like this Marsha, showing the wider scene works better IMHO.
The selective colour on the buses adds an extra dimension I feel.

Power works well too, you've held detail in the sky on what was a grey day.

That's you all up to date, put your feet up, I am sure they will welcome it after yesterday's little trek :LOL:

Cheers Iain. I added a gradient filter in LR5 to bring the sky to life a bit! Otherwise it was quite dull. I actually liked the purple tint to the original but gave in and went B&W!

I'm glad I waited for the traffic to move. I know SC is like Marmite, but in this case I think the red buses definitely add to the shot.

Power.
A very suitable shot for the theme, long exposure countering the plain sky nicely, well processed too, keeping the details in the highlights of the river and I love the touch of colour you've kept inthe shot. Much more striking than a complete B&W. Well done!

Hi Graham. Thanks for your comments. The sky yesterday was about as flat as you can get and the river looked a horrible, churned up mud colour so the B&W was definitely needed! Although I'm not sure what colour you can see as this is a complete conversion :thinking:

Solitude. (or solidarity.. :thinking:)
Nice to see the same scene taken in the same way... yet giving a different result..... I really like this one, the bus really elevating the shot, and a perfect use of SC.

Only thing for me is on the conversion, the ground under the statue has come out a little too light, lending an almost hovering feel to the staue. Tiny point in a really cool shot though Marsha.

Definitely solitude :bonk: that error has been corrected :whistle: Good point in the ground being too light. An amended version is on it's way up. Many thanks.

Hold on - are you actually not only up to date - but ahead of almost everyone??
NEVER quick, alert the media!

Best I get my a$$ round to other peeps threads now! I am having a 'photo' day today. It's time to sort my library out as well as commenting.

Although I'm not sure what colour you can see as this is a complete conversion :thinking:

reddish tint, almost like a light sepia to it.

..........ORIGINAL......................|...........DESATURATED............
wva1.jpg

Or maybe just my screen (or my eyes)... either way - I like it. :LOL:

edit__________________

An amended version is on it's way up. Many thanks.

That works well now, the statue really pops due to the blur surrounding it, but there's now enough static and sharp around its feet to anchor it. (y)

Last edited:

DAMN !!! look at you catching up before me :bat:

Quick round up as I'm trying to catch up but my eyes keep closing o_O

Mono - Great photo, nice and sharp and such a great expression caught :)

Connection - fits well marsha, no shoehorn there !!!, great blue sky which really helps the stone/concrete ?? stand out - a great image for the theme !!!!

Beginning - I'd prefer to see a bit of her face showing emotion/wonder but I like the idea :)

Still - Awwweeee bless it... what a great little spikey bundle :D

Whimsical - Yep Its a helicopter with ubber fast rotors :D

Curve - Now that's a view !!!! a great couple of curves, that works really well :clap:

Power - I love that, great verticals, great PP and oh soooo smooth water - nice one (y)

Solitude - Now that's 'the' shot of your catch up for me, a selective colour that really works, similar thought s to that of Iains, the stillness really makes the theme work for me :clap:

WHAT A CATCH UP - so glad you have got there :)

Hi Ya again :wave:

Really wish I'd managed to pop down to London to meet up with you two....you've found some cracking locations (y)

Solitude.....I think I actually prefer this slightly wider view & the red bus really does add to the image...great work girlie :clap:

Power....another great shot of an iconic landmark & you've done it great justice .....I also saw a hint of color but thought it was my eyes until Graham mentioned :)

Hi Ya again :wave:

Really wish I'd managed to pop down to London to meet up with you two....you've found some cracking locations (y)

Solitude.....I think I actually prefer this slightly wider view & the red bus really does add to the image...great work girlie :clap:

snip.....

:)

It would have been great if you'd managed to visit but another time.

I too prefer Marsha's take on it, the wider view gives more of a sense of the place and agree, the selective colour on the bus works really well.

Power is a bit of a classic, and a nice take on it. I really like the almost washed out water.

Solitude is a great image. Against the surrounding movement, the static figure almost looks stuck on. Classy use of SC too!

DAMN !!! look at you catching up before me :bat:

Quick round up as I'm trying to catch up but my eyes keep closing o_O

Mono - Great photo, nice and sharp and such a great expression caught :)

Connection - fits well marsha, no shoehorn there !!!, great blue sky which really helps the stone/concrete ?? stand out - a great image for the theme !!!!

Beginning - I'd prefer to see a bit of her face showing emotion/wonder but I like the idea :)

Still - Awwweeee bless it... what a great little spikey bundle

Whimsical - Yep Its a helicopter with ubber fast rotors :D

Curve - Now that's a view !!!! a great couple of curves, that works really well :clap:

Power - I love that, great verticals, great PP and oh soooo smooth water - nice one (y)

Solitude - Now that's 'the' shot of your catch up for me, a selective colour that really works, similar thought s to that of Iains, the stillness really makes the theme work for me :clap:

WHAT A CATCH UP - so glad you have got there.

Cheers for the mega comments DK, I'm getting there slowly! I still seem to be busy though, even without kids around :bonk:

Power....another great shot of an iconic landmark & you've done it great justice .....I also saw a hint of color but thought it was my eyes until Graham mentioned.

Many thanks Lynne, shame you couldn't make it down to London. But it was great to finally meet you yesterday and can put a face to the name now :wave:

It would have been great if you'd managed to visit but another time.

I too prefer Marsha's take on it, the wider view gives more of a sense of the place and agree, the selective colour on the bus works really well.

Cheers Iain, I do like your low POV though. Perhaps we should have combined the two?

Power is a bit of a classic, and a nice take on it. I really like the almost washed out water.

Solitude is a great image. Against the surrounding movement, the static figure almost looks stuck on. Classy use of SC too!

Thanks Nick. Without the long exposure the Thames just looked muddy and brown :puke: As for the SC in my second shot, I'm always very careful to not use full opacity when bringing the colour back in as it can look too bright and overpowering.

Two great shots Marsha.

Saw a postcard with the same view as your power shot in Victoria whsmiths o Friday. Your photo is much nicer.

Solitude shot works well with the movement captured and the selected colour of the bus.

I am the master at catching bees bums, I actually caught this fuzzy fidget pants as it reversed out of a flower! Alas it's not pin sharp but I just like the fact the proboscis is still out after taking a good filling!

C & C welcome. I am slowly catching up on the commenting.

Yuk! - I mean that in a good way of course ;)

I really like this Marsha. It might not be tack sharp but the composition the selective focus and the colours all work really well, a "horrible" creature all the same! (y)

Back