weekly JohnN's 52 project for 2013 - Week 39 - Sweet

Thank you - I may knock up a quick landscape style crop.

Tony, no doubt I'll give that a try, should be pretty easy now I'm back into PP.

Alan, those were supposed to be rocks rising up from the cracked floor, guess it needs a bit more work ;)

I was happy with the studio shot though and I'm pleased I'm getting better at that, much better than my Ethan one and in the end thats what these projects are for and I have to say having a task it much better than not - I trawled through the 365 last year and it just started to bug me, whereas I'm finding the word of teh week approach much better.

Last edited:
Thanks again :D

Struggling with wild at the moment - my initial idea of a snail on a motorbike fell apart when I realised of the 22,000+ shots I've taken since owning a camera I only added the word bike to two of them and neither are any use... Oh well, plan B (if my daughter can be persuaded!)

Hi John

you sure have impressive PP skills mister (y) No crit from me as wouldn't have a scooby where to strat creating something like that....& your thoughts for wild have me chuckling....snail on a motorbike :thinking:

Sadly no snail piccy now :(

As to how, its fairly easy at the moment, I'm just following guides once I get the image idea I want - theres a wealth of them out there and I always link, have a crack you'll be surprised.

Well - in case I get nothing else done heres the starter shot (switching to night shifts tonight so I won't see my victim;) daughter until its into next week now).

Hopefully now I roughly what I wanted (I wanted more anger and some hand expressions but she was tiring of me quickly!) I can get some serious post processing going once I have a real idea formed.

Needless to say I'll not post in the final thread yet.

EDIT: Well after a few days and I'm still not getting to work on it looks like I'll leave it as is for now, I may revisit but its not looking likely.

Week 4 - Wild by magsnorton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well week 5 is upon us (well actually a bit ago) and if theres one thing I hate its smarmy TV presenters always referring to a room as a space so sadly it was one of the first things to come into my head...

After a little poking around on the net I saw images with the sort of look I was thinking of, however this time I'm pleased to say that despite a tutorial being availble I only used the part to help form the room, the rest I figured out for myself from what I'd learnt so far.

No the piccy is far from perfect, especially the feet where I had a poke about for an object to put in from of them but it just never looked right so I just left them alone, I'm also not happy with the lighting on the figure, but hopefully the skills to address that will follow at some point in the year.

Well enough waffle and on the to the image itself.

Week 5 - Space - Room with a view by magsnorton, on Flickr

As always comments are welcome, especially if they're backed up with advice :)

Wild: lol made me laugh, kids can certainly be wild! It might not be what you wanted but i cant see anything wrong with it!

Space: I like the bright colours in this, lots of work has gone into it. Cant offer any advice as im not even sure how you have done it! Makes me feel like its summer which is a nice feeling!

Wild is a cracker. Love re expression and I see something similar from my daughter when i take out my camera.

Space is another cracker. Has a very Escher feel to it. Only crit is your feel that seem to be sinking.

Cheers.

Aye, the feet bugged the hell out of me, in the original pic I was in long grass so my feet were partially covered but I couldn't find anything to either cover them or rebuild without drawing attention to them more

Good job with space - I've watched a tutorial on this but never tried it... aside from your feet, I can't really see anything to give the game away as such. (y)

Can't really put my finger on anything to do differently were you to do it again... :thinking: shadows are good, especially your head folding up the edge of the wall, maybe if the tree was the opposite side to the kite / shadow?

That's it really, top work.

Thank you, especially for noticing the shadow - I was quite pleased with that and as you guessed took care to account for the change of angle, that I think was probably the most useful skill learnt during that image.

Don't know where to start with the space photo, it's cleverly done and interesting but....I dunno, I guess I just don't geddit....

I'm with Chris I'm afraid, I :clap: your skills but don't really understand it.

Sorry :thinking:

Love the work on the shadow.

in terms of the feet thing, when I'm stuck like that I tend to embrace the fact that its a collage and go the other way - that is, put a white line round it like it's a cut out. Seeing as you're creating a surreal image that depends on the juxtaposition anyway it doesn't matter what style you use to sell the juxtaposition.

Well week 5 is upon us (well actually a bit ago) and if theres one thing I hate its smarmy TV presenters always referring to a room as a space so sadly it was one of the first things to come into my head...

After a little poking around on the net I saw images with the sort of look I was thinking of, however this time I'm pleased to say that despite a tutorial being availble I only used the part to help form the room, the rest I figured out for myself from what I'd learnt so far.

No the piccy is far from perfect, especially the feet where I had a poke about for an object to put in from of them but it just never looked right so I just left them alone, I'm also not happy with the lighting on the figure, but hopefully the skills to address that will follow at some point in the year.

Well enough waffle and on the to the image itself.

Week 5 - Space - Room with a view by magsnorton, on Flickr

As always comments are welcome, especially if they're backed up with advice :)
Very cool image, I look forward to seeing what you will be capable of by the end of the year(y)

Quite a bit of work gone into that, nice one! Only input would be that I think you could probably put the concept of this shot across without as much PP work as you've done! That said, nice work on the shadows and details - bit of a shame about the feet! (y)

Thanks for the input and you're right, but this year my aim is to improve on my pp skills, and while some weeks it will be a less is more approach most it will be all out PhotoShop oot :)

Hi,

Wild - good expression for the theme. Good comp and lighting.

Space - again very impressive PP skills and again way beyond my competence to c&c.
Lovely vibrancy to it and quite joyful in a way with the summer colours, the bright kite and the smile on your face.
I think that I understand what you were trying to achieve with a large space as the room but it took me quite a few times and a few revisits to get it and i have tried to work out why and offer this explanation; We all see various contrived/modified scenes differently and I kept seeing the b/g as a scene which was 'folded down' at the sides (if that makes sense) but I came to realise that it is a scene folded towards the viewer. So I wondered whether it would have been possible to have 2 vertical lines running up the 'corners' of the room at the rear, from the timber base to the sky. If the lines were the same colours as the b/g (and of course this would mean the line would change from green to dark green to dark blue to light blue - again way beyond me ) -- But food for thought ??

Work is just about to be started (odd - off for the week and never found time!), the original idea involved a paper cutout of myself being torn apart with the dark overshadow of a boss in the backdrop - still I might do that for something else as the idea is pretty strong in my head.

Instead I'll be doing a photo of a bulb... I know but the damn bulb went on my car and it was a sod to get past the battery, which to me was even worse than than my real work (and is work to me - hence the theme of work) and involved a scraped and bloody hand and a very very bad mood, not to mention also an hours worth of swearing!

I truly have no idea how mechanics with their obviously well manicured and dainty little hands do these things ;)

Well, its done - as I said not my original idea for the shot this week, but it didn't turn out too bad.

Week 6 - Work - What Dumbledore Did by magsnorton, on Flickr

The reason for this being work is that despite cars having little to do with my work, changing a bulb in my car is... an hour long swearing fest, a scraped hand and far too much blood for such a simple task!!

Anyway back to the shot - its a simple setup but being macro I had issues with getting the light to look like it belonged in the scene and not like a 40 foot overhead lamp, well my solution was this classy and most elegant snoot\barn door arrangement :D

Work - Setup shot by magsnorton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Wibbly, full week next week too but hopefully I'll get a decent idea and have a crack tomorrow

I have to agree with the others, I didn't know what it was till I saw the setup.

Like the light though, good improv.

Thanks again, I don't really have time for a redo sadly, but I'll bear it in mind for the next shot.

Perhaps next time I'll try a different lens and crop as macro was giving too shallow a depth of field, although I do recall taking higher stop shots but the lighting must have not been up to scratch as all but three shots we deleted.

Also next time it might be worth the time to set up the lights properly so can get consistent results and can then play with the depth more

Last edited:
Lol. Quite!

It's supposed to be a take on the deluminator scene from the start of the first film.

I think bar for skill learnt and improve familiarity I think this one may have flopped, still at least my reliance on tutorials is getting better and its all a learning curve after all

Hehe typical educated type, can quote philosophy, but present them with something from a best selling film and its a blank ;)

Ps, I know him in real life, so the rest of you are safe(ish) from hassle :)

Last edited:
Hi ya

Space...imaginative take on theme & fab pp skills as I've come to expect from you (y)

Work...like the idea & darkness of the shot....think you've given yourself all the crit on this one

Look forward to seing your take on Gluttony (y)

Back