weekly n1kcy's 52 in 2013 - Week 21 added

looks delicious and agree that catching the seasoning falling adds to the overall shot..

Hi Nicky

I am just :notworthy::notworthy:.... supreb...nuff said :clap:

Great image and I love the way you've caught the seasoning falling. Works really nicely.

Great job Nicky - simple but oh so effective.

Great timing.... can we ask how many shots taken to catch the pepper in mid-fall? :LOL:

Sorry but again I can't find anything major to crit... :clap:

Great job Nicky - simple but oh so effective.

Great timing.... can we ask how many shots taken to catch the pepper in mid-fall? :LOL:

Sorry but again I can't find anything major to crit... :clap:

It was a one chance only as I fully intended to eat it for my lunch and I only like so much pepper! I dropped the pepper very slowly and probably took about 3 images - I needed to let the flash recycle each time.

MMmmm had something similar lined up myself for this. Back to the drawing board me thinks. As they say early bird gets the worm:) I think the image is nicely composed.

Love it, lighting, take on the theme and DOF all look good to me. You've captured the falling seeds perfectly. Only slight crit I have is maybe to crop the LHS so it looks symetrical.

I really like this Nicky. Lovely and sharp, almost surreal.

Slight criticism though, your pasta lacks sauce!

Great shot n1cky, thanks for the advice on mine too!

Thank you for all the comments everyone.

Week 3 - Gravity

This was a bit of a cheat, as technically I took the original picture (of the feather) back in June, but this photoshop creation was purposely made new today for the challenge.

By excuse is I'm in the middle of moving house, so most of my photography stuff (in fact just most of my stuff) is in a storage container about 200 miles away right now and time is not something I have much of this week, so apologies for the general lack of comments.

8405968029_05644f03cc_c.jpg

Last edited:
excellent nothing more to say really love the way the feather is lit and it does give the impression of falling :clap:
I think you can be excused for lack of crit (y)

very nice edit. the added effect gives motion and conveys this week's theme. also the frame suits it.

I like it quite a lot :)

nice light on the feather.. like the feeling of it dropping.. good luck with the move! :)

If you hadn't have said - I'd have easily believed it was a long exposure falling feather with a flash at the end of the exposure.

I might say that the blur of the feather might look better being a bit more faded (lower opacity on that layer), but otherwise a great shot (again) in tricky conditions (y)

Nicky, You did something photography related and probably learned something this week, isn't that the point of the '52?

Anyway, I like your image, you fooled me - no negative comments to make.

A suggestion for a possible improvement (I dont' know if this would work) but - if you masked the blur layer and put a gradient on it so that the blur started faint and got stronger nearer the feather (hope that makes sense).

Good luck with the move, when's the house warming? Where's my invite? :LOL:

Last edited:
Very clever Nicky, like the blur and the light. Excellent.

Hi, Nicky, learning photography and processing is what we're here for.

I did suspect it was processed but it's nice nevertheless. The BG is nice and black and the yellow tip really adds a lot to it. Cracking detail in the feather.

I think this would also look good without the motion blur added.

Cheers.

It's catch up time....

First, I moved house and had no broadband for a couple of weeks, then had to go away with work for 2 weeks. Hopefully things will get back to normal now.

Anyway, the themes were timed rather nicely for me.

Firstly week 4 - Wild, well this is a picture of my new rather wild garden:
8506970595_aa0df37f35_c.jpg

Next up, week 5 - Space (conveniently time with my trip to India for work)
8508080916_c66b44afa8_c.jpg

Week 6 - Work, this is the view from my hotel window of rush hour in Pune India. Please excuse the camera shake it was hand held.
8506972621_b81c6815dd_c.jpg

Finally, Week 7 - Gluttony - this is just part of the breakfast buffet on offer every day
8508082602_34fb9a74e0_c.jpg

woah!! - MEGA catch up! :LOL: and a good one too.

Wild - loving the backlighting coming through the nettle leaves, also highlighting the hairs on the stem and the wispy bits on the stick, lovely bokeh too.

Space - love the colour gradients in the blue sky, a tiny rotate clockwise would level the horizon, and lose some of the inside of your window.

Work - apart from the reflections and the wobble - great shot, stationary traffic one side, and flowing freely the other. great rush hour shot!

Gluttony - yum, beautiful colours and arrangement (not your work I know - but you spotted it). Was it you who nicked the strawberry off that front one??

These are really great. The light in the first one, the sheer space in the second, the horror of the commute in the third, and even the thought of eating the last! I really like them.

Hi, Wild, nice back lighting and on theme but a tad uninspiring.

Space, like it. Works on several levels. If the fuselage wasn't in there it would be better.

Work, it the best and connection to the theme is a bit meh ;)

Gluttony, ooooooohhhh, give me some. Like the composition but it's a tad OOF.

Cheers;

Wild - Great focus with good colour , dof and Bokeh. Well executed.

Space - Fabulous shot with brilliant colour tones considering it was through a window and an awkward angle (y)

Work - Great short of the rush hour, pity about the shake but you gor light trails. There's a lot of detail and colour in this shot. I like it.

Gluttony - yep totally in theme. Again nicely composed. Did ytou leave any? :eek:

Well done catching up.

nicely caught up i like the plane wing could do with losing the black bottom left the traffic pic I really like the composition :clap:

Hi ya

Gluttony....brings back memories of sitting outside a french cafe in glorious sun watching the world go by whilst eating a fair few of them....good capture :)

Space....like the simplicity of this shot & the lovely blueness of the sky....clone or crop out the plane body & it's a cracker (y)

Work....light trails & a traffic jam...on theme for me just a shame about the slight blur

Wild...really like the lighting on this one (y)

Thank you everyone for your comments. Still struggling to find time to comment on all the threads and get the house all unpacked.

I have been at a complete loss over what to do for Time, until I took this picture today and realised it's 'frogspawn time' (sorry, it's a very poor connection to the theme, but it's a new photo and I get quite excited when I see the first frogspawn of the year.

Still stumped over what to do for Juxtaposition though....:thinking:

Comments welcome, although I appreciate it's virtually unrelated to the theme of Time. :nuts:

Week 8 - Time

8540828774_7bfb5a037a_c.jpg

No, I guess I could take a photograph of anything and find a connection. It's our interpretation that mattes. I rather like this one. All the frogs, waiting to hatch :thinking: and enter the world.

I reckon a nice macro take would work well...get in there really close to get loads of detail.

Juxtaposition....don't over thing it. A I've said elsewhere, post, and be damned, and move on (y)

Cheers.

I keep coming back to this shot, I'm drawn to it. Great photo, have not seen any frog spawn for.....blimey over 25years, takes me back to my childhood.

fits the theme for me too as with Alison above not seen any for years

as with the others - rather liking the frogspawn - wonder how quickly I would have known what it was if you hadn't said - nice, almost abstract feel to it.

Back