weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2013 Weeks 50,51 and 52, Fantasy, Fit and Water added - P&BD and Finished

love your value shot Alan - the beautifullness of the script - not normally associated with a mathematical text but works really well, the value of pi is clear here, probably one of the more valuable mathematical discoveries.

composition, spelling, accuracy and lighting all spot on for me (y)

Hi Alan,

Some really lovely shots in this thread. My favourite has to be "Direction" I think. It's simple yet so very well composed. Value again shows that you have a good eye for composition (it's clear in many shots in this thread) and the thought behind adding the pen for the double "value" meaning is a nice touch.

Ian.

Thanks for looking at them Ian. 'Direction' is my favourite too. The idea for the shot came to me pretty quickly after the theme was announced and the planning paid off in what is probably the shot that most tallies with the way that I imagined it.

love your value shot Alan - the beautifullness of the script - not normally associated with a mathematical text but works really well, the value of pi is clear here, probably one of the more valuable mathematical discoveries.

composition, spelling, accuracy and lighting all spot on for me (y)

Cheers Graham for the kind words.

Hi Alan

love that glow under the plate...& Tate n Lyle golden syrup...yum yum...the little bit of oofness adds to the shot ( for me anyway) as it seems to add to the tackiness of the syrup whilst trying to remove your finger from it (y)

Thanks Lynne

Hi Alan :)

I like that, a bit tight on the left but other than that I like the shine to the plate and the general lighting :)

Cheers DK. Maybe a bit tight, but did not see it when I posted. Wanted to get a letter box style and maybe overdid it.

Hi Alan
tacky bang on theme the glow is really nice a bit tightly cropped but I can't offer any ideas as to what else you would do it just seems a bit narrow

Certainly tacks, and interesting lighting, the reflections work well too. I think I'd agree with Allan though, perhaps a little too tightly cropped.

Thanks Allan and Ray - see above

Hahaha, I saw this and burst out :LOL:

Greed indeed.

Top marks (y)

PS. that was last weeks theme btw. :rules:

Last edited:
Cuppa tea and a huge pile of biscuits, greedy bu**er. :LOL:

No-one liked greed Alan, (maybe except Brian :LOL:), looking back on your weeks so far, your moving tram, sparkly ball and the wild weather at the sea-front really stand out as exceptional shots... would you have taken them if you weren't doing the 52??

If not, then there's three really good reasons to keep at it. (y)

Your comments around the other threads are also much appreciated too.

Hi Alan

I keep going back to your image for Value.....that pen...stunning in it's own right but it really does stand out off the page ,like you could pick it up.....the writing , the angle , the nearly but not quite white paper......all superb...:clap::clap: being hyper critical if I had to be I'd maybe crop it to just above the drawn circle ?

Greed...I think many of us struggled with this one but I do love your humour towards it....needs to be dark chocolate hobnobs though :nuts:

Nice straight biscuit pile there and lovely slippers, nice take on the theme which I agree was a bit meh (y)

Hahaha, I saw this and burst out :LOL:

Greed indeed.

Top marks (y)

PS. that was last weeks theme btw. :rules:

Thanks Brian - and now I am 2 weeks behind:eek:

Cuppa tea and a huge pile of biscuits, greedy bu**er. :LOL:

No-one liked greed Alan, (maybe except Brian :LOL:), looking back on your weeks so far, your moving tram, sparkly ball and the wild weather at the sea-front really stand out as exceptional shots... would you have taken them if you weren't doing the 52??

If not, then there's three really good reasons to keep at it. (y)

Your comments around the other threads are also much appreciated too.

Thanks Graham. You are dead right about how the Challenge keeps photography as one of the foremosy thoughts in the head

Hi Alan

I keep going back to your image for Value.....that pen...stunning in it's own right but it really does stand out off the page ,like you could pick it up.....the writing , the angle , the nearly but not quite white paper......all superb...:clap::clap: being hyper critical if I had to be I'd maybe crop it to just above the drawn circle ?

Greed...I think many of us struggled with this one but I do love your humour towards it....needs to be dark chocolate hobnobs though :nuts:

Thanks Lynne. Hobnobs? I thought jaffa cakes were the food of choice on this forum. What about a pile of Tunnocks?

Hi Alan, greed is nice and simple works great. The slippers are a nice touch. :)

Nice straight biscuit pile there and lovely slippers, nice take on the theme which I agree was a bit meh (y)

Cheers both - pleased that you liked the slippers cos I thought that they made the image more interesting.

Quick catch up, I'm afraid :D

Greed, any biscuit without chocolate on is plain wrong :D. Nice low angle and detail. Not keen on the cropped leg/foot.

Cheers.

Thanks for looking, Andy.

As for the slipperered foot, I thought that you encouraged SPs?

Well, my suggestion of a SP for everyone still stands ;)

Angles, yeah, plenty in there and I do envy people who live near water. Lovely reds in the main boat. Ad nice angle along the boat.

Crit. Well not keen on the space on the right. I wonder what getting closer to the main boat would produce.

Cheers.

Crit. Well not keen on the space on the right. I wonder what getting closer to the main boat would produce.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. I did try a couple of other crops because generally I like closer stuff but whilst I got more detail, the balance of the picture seemed worse. The sky and foreground have little interest and I decided to go with the letter box crop. And that little boat to the right does have its own little angle.:)

Nice exposure and a lovely warm colours. (y)

Have to agree about losing the RHS though....

Hi Alan, apologies, haven't commented in a wee while :(

Your value image is fantastic IMHO, its well lit, the composition works well and there's lots of detail in there to hold the viewers attention. Its one of those which grabbed me, and made me work out how it fitted the theme (a good thing). The writing in itself is very artisitic and appealing too.

Greed, not a great theme at all coming so soon after gluttony but you've nailed it despite that (y)
Thats a lot of biscuits to be dunking in your tea :LOL:
It tells a little story, paints a mental picture, again a good thing.
SP? ish :cautious: :LOL:

Angles, my vote goes to #1, I feel the rhs adds depth to the frame and like your letterbox crop. You've captured the scene well which looks a very pleasant place to be, good work (y)

The cropped Angle gets it for me... a good spot!

Rustic is just about perfect for the theme, the harsh light really adds interest to it too.

Very nice angles shot. I prefer the 2nd crop (y) Well spotted.

Thanks Lisa

Hi Alan, apologies, haven't commented in a wee while :(

Your value image is fantastic IMHO, its well lit, the composition works well and there's lots of detail in there to hold the viewers attention. Its one of those which grabbed me, and made me work out how it fitted the theme (a good thing). The writing in itself is very artisitic and appealing too.

Greed, not a great theme at all coming so soon after gluttony but you've nailed it despite that (y)
Thats a lot of biscuits to be dunking in your tea :LOL:
It tells a little story, paints a mental picture, again a good thing.
SP? ish :cautious: :LOL:

Angles, my vote goes to #1, I feel the rhs adds depth to the frame and like your letterbox crop. You've captured the scene well which looks a very pleasant place to be, good work (y)

Thanks for the kind words Iain. I am pleased with Value as it turned out well from my first thoughts. As to Angles, I thought that my wife and I were the odd 2 out in which we preferred.:D Good not to feel alone!

The cropped Angle gets it for me... a good spot!

Rustic is just about perfect for the theme, the harsh light really adds interest to it too.

Thanks Nick. And I have caught up now with only a few hours to spare!

Hi, edit works for me.

Rustic, nice building and great detail. Would be a cracker with lovely, warm light.

Kind, well spotted and nicely composed. No real way, I suspect, to isolate the Police so (y) from me.

Cheers.

Hi Alan

lovely rustic shot very harsh light but it works for me(y)

Kind, nice fit for the theme its a pity they couldn't be isolated but you can't have everything and as DK says nicely lined up arses :clap:

Like that Rustic shot. Gorgeous building, fits the theme beautifully.

Rustic - Beautiful!

Kind - Everyone else beat me to the Horses arse jokes, but anyway the middle ones out of step :D - 3 card brag (for ciggies) those where the days :LOL:

Rustic Allan, a lovely scene well captured.
It has rustic written all over it. You've held the detail well in there with it being so bright. Paricularly like the colour tones (y)

Three of a kind, again bang on theme.
Not a lot could be done about the busy (ish) background but it doesn't really detract from the subjects. It is documentary and tells its own little story.
Well spotted and captured Allan (y)

Rustic working really well Alan - the tree growing up through the canopy setting it off for me, plenty to potentially trip you up here exposure and WB -wise but handled well.

Three of a kind, nice way round a hard theme, people milling around setting the scene well too, maybe a bit more space around the three, especially maybe to the front, but certainly not "over-tight", so (y)

------
missed out angle -

FWIW, I think the crop should be somewhere between the two!! Probably to just include the blue thing on the shore - which I'd then say should be cloned out. :LOL:

Last edited:
Hi ya

Duality...prial....I need to get me a dictionary :D

Anything with horses is great by me & your trio for 3 of kind is just fab , trying to work out the breed brand..thought Lipizzaner or dutch warmblood but don't think either is right...do you happen to know ?? It could also be the breeders brand ....& I really like the way you got them to line up so that the colors went from really pale grey through to dark dappled grey...well done you ;-)

Rustic...that place looks just wonderful...& great that they didn't tear down the tree (y)

Angles...neat & original take on the theme , works for me , lovely colors & very sharp , can't decide between the 2 crops so hedging my bets & gonna say ...somewhere between the 2 would be just about right :LOL:

Last edited:
Hi, edit works for me.

Rustic, nice building and great detail. Would be a cracker with lovely, warm light.

Kind, well spotted and nicely composed. No real way, I suspect, to isolate the Police so (y) from me.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. Correct, no way to isolate the polce - I was watching for some time for 2 or 3 of a kind as often the ladies/children wear matching flamenco dresses, but incredibly busy with over 200 casetas (kind of marquees) selling food and drink - and horses and carriages everywhere. but got lucky with this one.

Hi Alan :)

Rustic - A lovely building that, sure says village life to me, nicely lit and bright colours :)

Kind - Ahh Haaaaa nice one mate, good composition, well frozen movement and well lined up horse arses (y)

Thanks DK - don't know the Spanish for that!

Hi Alan

lovely rustic shot very harsh light but it works for me(y)

Kind, nice fit for the theme its a pity they couldn't be isolated but you can't have everything and as DK says nicely lined up arses :clap:

Thanks Allan

Like that Rustic shot. Gorgeous building, fits the theme beautifully.

Thanks for looking Martin

Rustic - Beautiful!

Kind - Everyone else beat me to the Horses arse jokes, but anyway the middle ones out of step :D - 3 card brag (for ciggies) those where the days :LOL:

Those were indeed the days.

Rustic Allan, a lovely scene well captured.
It has rustic written all over it. You've held the detail well in there with it being so bright. Paricularly like the colour tones (y)

Three of a kind, again bang on theme.
Not a lot could be done about the busy (ish) background but it doesn't really detract from the subjects. It is documentary and tells its own little story.
Well spotted and captured Allan (y)

Thanks Iain. We had a good time there and lots of opportunites for people photography. May post some more on Flickr when I am home

Rustic working really well Alan - the tree growing up through the canopy setting it off for me, plenty to potentially trip you up here exposure and WB -wise but handled well.

Three of a kind, nice way round a hard theme, people milling around setting the scene well too, maybe a bit more space around the three, especially maybe to the front, but certainly not "over-tight", so (y)

------
missed out angle -

FWIW, I think the crop should be somewhere between the two!! Probably to just include the blue thing on the shore - which I'd then say should be cloned out. :LOL:

Thanks Graham. If i were to crop a little more/less then your suggestion would prob be a good compromise

Hi ya

Duality...prial....I need to get me a dictionary :D

Anything with horses is great by me & your trio for 3 of kind is just fab , trying to work out the breed brand..thought Lipizzaner or dutch warmblood but don't think either is right...do you happen to know ?? It could also be the breeders brand ....& I really like the way you got them to line up so that the colors went from really pale grey through to dark dappled grey...well done you ;-)

Rustic...that place looks just wonderful...& great that they didn't tear down the tree (y)

Angles...neat & original take on the theme , works for me , lovely colors & very sharp , can't decide between the 2 crops so hedging my bets & gonna say ...somewhere between the 2 would be just about right :LOL:

Thanks for the encouragement Lynne.

Horses are probably the same breed or type as those used at the Spanish Riding School (see http://www.realescuela.org/ - we went to the show there last year and it was very good) and the Spanish Military Stud. Often referred to as the Andalucian Spanish Horse.

As you like bikes and horses, have a look at http://www.turismojerez.com/index.php?id=3087 which was the site for this year and it usually ties in with the MotoGP weekend at Jerez for an overdose!

Hi Alan,

Many apologies, I'm a few weeks behind here!

Value, love the double meaning of this, the hand writing is excellent (such a dying art these days). The pen really helps add to it, like you say it could be fairly mono without it.

Greed, :LOL: this theme didn't inspire me either! The only crit I can give here is that the biscuits are a tad boring, maybe add a layer of Cadburys and it would make the perfect shot for me :D

Angle, I'm a fan of the original uncropped shot, I think as the boat is leaning right it needs more space on the right!I know it puts the main boat central but for me it works in some shots. I also like the colour of the water so chopping half of it off doesn't seem right.

Rustic, I was hoping to find something similar when I was in Spain, alas I didn't. I love this though, I just want to be there enjoying that sunshine!

Kind, you're trying to confuse me by calling this one rustic as well :naughty: Three of a kind works for me. I'd rather look at their faces than their bottoms but I should imagine it doesn't feel comfortable photographing the police in another country? I would crop out the small blurry bit on the RHS.

I hope you had a nice time in Spain.

It works for me, nice exposure in what would have been difficult conditions, I work in a cathedral so I am aware of the difficulty, but that is spot on:clap:

As the other Allan said Alan :LOL: nicely handled lighting in there.
No loss of detail in what is bang on theme IMHO.

Not sure if it was possible but the black arched windows, were they symmetrical? Just to balance the image a little. Other than that, (y)

Back