weekly SiblingChris' 52 in 2013

Chris I really like the Pattern image. Great colours and execution with the PP.

Movement is good too another well executed idea, with the right hand movement blur

Kind, simple shot nice colours just a little more dof.

Vertical, I'm on the fence for the dof on this. On one hand I do love the narrow dof but would have liked to see a second shot with slightly more in focus.

Pattern, great colours and details in the light patterns.

(y)

Pattern, wow, that's a really vivid and well composed photograph. No real crit, apart from the slightly darker top.

Movement, 2 for 1 nice. Well composed and lovely lighting. Tad more movement in the near hand maybe.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the comments everyone

Have to admit my first thoughts on movement were about music, but potentially a shot of my violin bow across a score. However I came across this piano shot in Flickr by another user and decided to recreate my own version...still the idea is not my own I admit it! ;)

So here is my my second movement shot

it was interesting with the vinyl LP rotating...the slower I seemed to have the shutter speed the LESS the actual surface of the disc looked to be obviously moving. The challenge was getting a shutter speed that captured the movement of the vinly (centre label) without picking up too much on the fact the cartridge head was moving a mm or two each rotation of the LP

Personally quite pleased how this came out in the end.....flame on!

Week 21 - Movement 2 by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

That does work maybe if you took it from a slightly higher point of view might have emphasised the label blur, did you crop out the dog with its head next to the horn :)

Good work on "movement" 1 Chris, It's always hard to get this kind of shot to work, good idea too. (y)

Last edited:
That does work maybe if you took it from a slightly higher point of view might have emphasised the label blur, did you crop out the dog with its head next to the horn :)

I tried all sorts of angles, believe me!
the difficulty was getting the tripod close enough to the cabinet the record deck is on...this seemed the most pleasing to me, a higher angle emphasised the cartridge less, which I really liked in the shot.

initially I was trying for an overhead shot looking down and was going to do a series of different albums giving different effects from colours of the labels....but the way I had to set the tripod up over the records ended up getting the legs in view or having a horrible reflection of the camera and/or tripod :bonk:

Movement 2... What IS that thing? :LOL: Great colours, I feel it would benefit from a slight rotation (no pun intended - for once) anti clock wise.

Last edited:
By the way... What IS that thing? :LOL: now that I've looked again I feel it would benefit from a slight rotation (no pun intended - for once) anti clock wise.

Funnily enough when my mate's kid came round he hadn't a clue and I had to explain to him what a record was and how it worked. :shrug:

I know what you mean about the rotation, but it actually is straight
I did try to rotate but it made the actual LP look like it was at an angle. I think if I was square on to the front of the cartridge it would have been better, but again couldn't wangle my tripod close enough for that

It's the angle of the shot combined with the slight tilt back on the cartridge the makes it look off I think.
I'm a bit OCD about the deck being level and the cartridge, tone arm etc all calibrated and counter weighted exactly :geek:

Last edited:
Wow, a record....:thinking:

Good idea and quite subtle. I would have been tempted to get more of the label in because at first I could not see any movement, but nah, we should have to work sometimes to see the theme (y)

I brightened it up a tad and seemed better as looks a tad dark.

Good show, what is the record BTW.

Cheers.

nice idea, the colour of the record is great and the focus on the head and dof is spot on.

Wow, a record....:thinking:

Good idea and quite subtle. I would have been tempted to get more of the label in because at first I could not see any movement, but nah, we should have to work sometimes to see the theme (y)

I brightened it up a tad and seemed better as looks a tad dark.

Good show, what is the record BTW.

Cheers.

Depeche Mode - goodnight lovers

Hi Chris

I'm really liking that Movement shot....great color in the vinyl ,super sharp focus on the needle & the record label nicely blurred...:clap: Only little itsy bitsy niggle for me is the furthest away shadow hook thingy in the background ?

Pattern is a stunner, just spot on. I like vertical a lot too, but a tiny bit more DOF would improve it for me, lovely colours and composition. Movement #2 for me, hard to fault. (y)

Hi Chris

I'm really liking that Movement shot....great color in the vinyl ,super sharp focus on the needle & the record label nicely blurred...:clap: Only little itsy bitsy niggle for me is the furthest away shadow hook thingy in the background ?

I can't disagree! :crying:

It's the hook that the tone arm counter weight hangs from...the weight itself is just below the level of the record and the line it's on too thin to make out. It's not the hook itself but the reflection that bugs me....not tried cloning it out, bu I expect it might not be that easy

Last edited:
Pattern - lots to like here, patternes in the lightshade itself, the pattern cast by the light, made interesting by the various orientations, and the colours themselves working well (y)

movement #1 fitting the brief best for me, strong leading lines, nice and sharp along (nearly) all the keys. really conveying the movement of the player, no need add the theme of a musical "movement", the movement of the hand more than suffices!

movement #2, great colours, but not too much movement actually captured until you see the lable. lovely and sharp on the needle holder bit though :clap:

regards cloning the hooky thing out, the reflection I reckon would be the hardest - critical area would be the transition from light to dark actually where the hook is. If this is blurry it'll stand out badly, I might copy a selection from next to it, and paste it as a new layer, move and distort / rotate to line up and clone the rest. It doesn;t loads bother me though.

Last edited:
Pattern: Wonderful shot. Great pp work.

Movement: Really like both shots, think the 2nds wins it for me.

Chris, I like both your shots but prefer the second. I think the first is excellent, but suffers a little from the problem I found in more extreme form when I tried to shoot moving cars: the moving hand has lost to much definition and in the end looks a bit odd to me, sort of fragmented. But I love the record playing. I think there's enough movement blur in the label area, the cartridge head thingy is brilliantly sharp and well positioned, and the colour of the record is just fabulous. I don't own and don't think I have ever seen a red record, jealous! I think it works with the doible meaning as well. Great shot.

Chris, I like both your shots but prefer the second. I think the first is excellent, but suffers a little from the problem I found in more extreme form when I tried to shoot moving cars: the moving hand has lost to much definition and in the end looks a bit odd to me, sort of fragmented. But I love the record playing. I think there's enough movement blur in the label area, the cartridge head thingy is brilliantly sharp and well positioned, and the colour of the record is just fabulous. I don't own and don't think I have ever seen a red record, jealous! I think it works with the doible meaning as well. Great shot.

Cheers Chris....I was actually aiming for that almost ghostly effect on the piano shot :)

Thanks to others for comments also.

Size this week for me was all about "different sizes", a couple of variations on two particular shots....

on the different sized sea break posts, couldn't make my mind up on where the focus was best placed...

Week23 - Size 1 by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Week23 - Size 2 by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

then a wide shot and a close crop of lupins growing in the garden, the blooms and the leaves quite uniform in some ways but of all different sizes from the new to the old....

Week 23 - Size 3 by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Week 23 - Size 4 by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Hi Chris :)

Hmmmm making me squeeze 4 ticks in my spreadsheet hey :bat:

Below - Awwwweeeee Bless !!! what a sweet looking cat, I like this shot, great sharp eye contact, good effective DoF - nothing not to like :)

Between 1 & 2 - I prefer the close focus and the buildings out of the limelight in number 1

Between 3 & 4 - I prefer the cleanness of 4, I like the splashes of colour in 3, but the tips of the flowers are a bit off-putting

The Final - Between 1 and 4.... Ermmm I'm going for One (y)

who's not going to like a cute ickle kitty cat eh?? Good composition, both of the curve hole within the frame, and the position of the cat within that as well. The sort of shot I'd normally get lined up just after the subject has decided not to stay there any longer! Sharp of the face and DOF working well.

Size, focus has to be on the first post fo rme too, background blur is much more pleasing - good aperture choice too. (y). Focus on the middle one just makes the front one as the only OOF thing which doesn't look right.

But I think I actually prefer the lupins, and of those the wider shot - seems to have a zoomy draw into the centre of the shot, and then right into the centre of the flower in focus.

Like the sea break picture, has to be with the focus on the first one for me.

Hi, of the four I prefer #1. Nice low angle and good detail. I'd prefer the BG even more OOF to isolate the posts more. Wider what a nice contrasty B&W would look like :thinking:

Then again, the cat is wonderful. I thought you had taken a photograph through a hole I a slice of bread :D

Cheers.

I like the second Lupins shot, great pattern of different sized but the same shape leaves... :thinking: it would be even better with all the leaves in focus I think. ;)

Hi Chris

choices choices......of the seabreak posts I prefer #1...feels better to me with the foremost post in focus ,liking the low angle s& use of DOF (y) Really like the mono conversion as well (y)

Of the flower shots it's #2.....nice n sharp , differing sizes...& I'm a sucker for close up shots (y) The pink flower tips being out of focus in #1 jst distract me ...sorry

oops...forgot the kitty shot....fab focus on the eye's :)

Last edited:
Below: Aww cute kitty.

Size: #1 for me i think, just seems more pleasing to me eye.

The sea break shot is lovely. Focus at the front for me, it really works. The mid focus keeps more of the shingle and the houses in focus which pulls from the subject IMO. Colour is best for me, some lovely subtle shades there.

OK, so this shot is far from original. I resorted to a Google image search to find an idea I might replicate, but that no one on the forum at least had done for this week.

This is two photos taken with my Nikon D7000 and 35mm prime lens (still! I am finding I want to swap lens, but sticking with my own personal challenge for now). One of the shots is me with the pen and the other a quickly scribbled diagram on white paper, obviously edited to create a mirror image and remove the white background. Editing was in Lightroom and GIMP.

I know some of the edit isn't perfect on the diagram, I would also have liked my face not to have turned out so dark and no shadow around my head....but there you go, its in the bag and I'm moving on to "rock" :)

Week 24 - Process by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back