weekly ams99 - 52 Challenge - Week 52 Water

Hi Alan

neat take on the theme...well spotted ,nice n sharp with good colors....:)

Hi...sorry its taken me a while to comment. Trying to catch up now :)

Pattern: Scary...unusual take on theme

Movement: Tried panning so know how difficult it is...so well done on your effort

Below: As someone else said I thought but he's not under the bridge but like the perspective through the arch of the bridge

Size:Great picture...made me smile.:)

Alan, sorry I am so behind in my commenting!

Rustic: just my little rustic country pad, hey? I like this shot, including how you've framed it through the trees, though I did get criticised for doing something related. Anyway, works for me!

Patterns: quite a disturbing image! I'd have guessed at a photo of a picture, given the straight lines across the cheek to the right, which seem regardless of contour. But it is certainly a weird pattern!

Vertical: a very tricky shot that has worked quite well. She's very central, but the point of view is unusual enough to maintain interest, and there's plenty to the side to add interest as well. Slightly odd look in her eyes, perhaps?

Movement: if that's your first attempt at panning, well done you! I got no-where near that when I tried. nice that the car is slightly to the right, with space to drive into. Great job...

Below: that's a bit of a puzzle, it almost seems to be two shots in one. I can't connect the right and left halves, which is a bit disturbing...

Size is a really good illustration of the theme, and I like the colours and the positions of their bodies. Might have worked better if both had been looking in the same direction, d'you think?

Process you are not wrong, what is it :thinking:
Rock what can i say plenty of rock there, could maybe do with a little more contrast but a nice composition :clap:

I have tweaked it with a little more contrast...... (+20 actually) but I'm actually struggling to see the difference once its uploaded though! Definite improvement on screen but not when uploaded via photobucket :thinking:

Last edited:
Hi Alan

Process....did the trainers survive ? :)

Rock....good compostion...your eye is led nicely through the image by following the curve of the pebble beach....the contrast boost appears to have worked as a bit more detail seems visible in the edited shot (y)
It does seem to need a slight clockwise rotation as the distant horizion seems to list a wee bit ? A filtelr may have helped a little with the blown sky

interesting idea for process, interesting shot, takes a while to work out what's going on in there....

rock - well on theme, love the catch of the wave breaking on the rocks, good lead in's with the rocks themselves and the line coming up from the bottom left too. Like the minimal sky too.

Photobucket is well known for sucking contrast and colour from images....

Hi Alan, That looks like a nice place to walk. The edit is better than the original contrast wise.

For the theme, it seems to me that the subject of this image is the wave crashing on the rocks rather than the rocks (if that makes sense) but it's still a nice scene. (y)

Proccess, washing machine,eeekkk they must have whiffed :D

Interesting take but, doesn't really work for me, can't really see the connection.

Rock, yeah plenty of rocks there, I'd like to see few pebbles as they seem to dominate over the larger rocks.

Cheers.

Week ? Pair

Another image which doesn't work.
Think im calling it a day.
At least ive managed the half year mark. Cheers all.

oi ! less of the quitting talk mister....& you're wrong...I quite like those peppers...nice n bright , good colors ( I struggle like hell to get yellows right ) , the splash of blue in the background works great with the yellow & green & I like the 2 halves as opposed to 2 wholes...if that make any sense :thinking:

You've posted some good images , particularly the macro ones over the last 25 weeks.....have a break , have a kit kat , & come back out fighting to the end (y)

Hi Alan,

Rock, bang on theme, I like the scene you've captured here. Its got some good leading lines drawing the viewers eye into and through the frame.

Pair, again bang on theme, liking the bright vivid yellow of the peppers, contrasted against the green stalks.

Keep going, we all feel like that at times (y)

:bat: What do you mean another image that doesn't work?

I looked at the picture before I read your post and I was about to say that it really was my type of image.
Lovely vivid colours, the blue b/g works really well against it and it's the sort of thing I could see printed in some trendy food place.
OK I know the composition was probably driven by the theme rather than anything else, but I really do like that this is different to the normal shot of a single pepper at this angle. One pepper either side of the frame is just slightly different and refreshing from the norm.

Now can we stop this quitting talk before I'm forced to come around there with the mod toolbox to give you a talking to ;) :)

Hi, there, it's easy to quit....it's hard to finish. Look back at your photographs and tell me you haven't improved.

Stick with it , you'll be really annoyed if you leave now (y)

Pair, nice colours and the composition works. I won't say what it looks like here, but I'm sure others have had the same thought :naughty:

Process, an interesting take on the theme and I can really see the difference in quality between the 2 lenses. Works for me. Blooming bees :bat:

Cheers and see you next week :rules:

The pair shot works great. The composition is spot on, and the colours really vibrant. Such a simple shot on the surface, but it's really nicely done.

The bee-free process re-shoot gets it for me. There's enough interest in the flower itself, and the sharpness and colour, along with the subtle interest in the background petals. Tidy!

Thanks guys.

I can really see the difference between the lenses. I still struggle understanding the macro though. In order to get real depth of field i was up at f20 !!

I also found it really difficult to stop the damn flower swaying in the breeze!

Its much harder than it looks this flower business.

Hi ya Alan :wave: really glad to see you still here & with a pair of fab shots (y)

The kit lens has done well with some good detail in the bee....but....the macro shot is a corker ,fab detail in the staemens , really good color ( I always struggle with yellow's for some reason :thinking:) & nicely positioned...top work mister :clap:

Flower macro ( or most macro for that matter ) can be extremely frustrating but incredibly rewarding when you get "the " shot you want. A breeze is a pain ....good lighting is a bonus , up the iso if you can to allow you to up the shutter speed , use a tripod & either remote release or in built timer on the camera to allow it to settle before taking the shot....keep going , you'll get some cracking shots (y)

Hi Alan :)

Pair - Must agree with the others, that's a great image, lovely bright colours (y)

Re-shoot Process - That's not bad at all for a kit lens, good colours again and pretty sharp (y) the macro shot sure has nice detail and focus for me is in a good place :)

Keep with us Alan, the hardest bit is over now... ok well maybe not but it doesn't get harder, we all go through different phases and help each other through, now pulls your socks up :D

Pair shot is really nice great colour in there and the flower shot without the bee is really sharp again nice colour in there excellent keep it going (y)

Peppers for pair are rather good (as said already), and I don't think anyone has said nice things just to be kind! Colour, bold crop, lighting, background, symmetry are all there. :clap:

I'm actually thinking the kit lens shot with the bee is the better of the two.... especially when you consider the theme (process of pollination) as well. A shot of a simple flower is (to my mind) quite ordinary, having the bee elevates its difficulty and improves it due to that. If you hadn't have posted up the macro lens version - I think I'd have been happy with the first!!

Hi, there, it's easy to quit....it's hard to finish. Look back at your photographs and tell me you haven't improved.

Stick with it , you'll be really annoyed if you leave now (y)

Pair, nice colours and the composition works. I won't say what it looks like here, but I'm sure others have had the same thought :naughty:

Process, an interesting take on the theme and I can really see the difference in quality between the 2 lenses. Works for me. Blooming bees :bat:

Cheers and see you next week :rules:

Thank you for the motivation and reality check (y)

Hi Alan - must admit I've thought of quitting as I'm so busy and about 6 weeks behind, but stick at it!
Rock - like it, nice shot and nicely composed - but it just lacks a little drama for me, or a focal point maybe? It is on theme though!
Pair - Again, lovely colours coming through there - they really pop! Nice job with the sharp focus and contrast too. Only crit would be I'd like to maybe see a bit more of the green stalks and I'd probably clone out the dark mark on the right pepper!
Shape - Nice! Like the idea, nice interesting / abstract subject and I think the crop works well. I think the white balance might a tweak to make the white background 'white'.

Keep it up mate! :)

Hi
Really nice detail in the blade, looks well used not sure about the white BG though

Back