weekly Posiview's 2013 52. Week 52, Water added TTFN.

Hi Andy :)

Speed - Shame your cycling shot didn't work as sounds a great idea, Good capture of the glass and some shards coming off, but theme wise but rather shoehorned :D

It ways shame.

I rarely shoehorn, but wanted to give high speed photography a go.

Might post sometimes else as well :)

Yeah. Well caught, but I don't entirely get how it fits the theme.

What I am scratching my head over is the broken glass looks sharp, but the base/stem is still moving....if the shutter speed was quick enough to freeze the broken glass why not the base/stem?

Shoehorn for high speed photography.

I'll have a look tonight..... Promise it's not a composite :)

Chris: The different parts of the glass would be moving at different speeds.

Andy: FWIW I am rather impressed by your submission this week. Once again you have done something "different" and interesting. Exploring new techniques and getting feedback on our outcomes to help us progress should be on all of our agenda's right?

I think you are 90% of the way there. As anyone who has read light science and majic knows, Lighting glass is hard with a capital H. lighting unknown shapes must have been a nightmare... and that's the only thing that "lets it down" for me, the large specular highlight. Perhaps you could use a larger more diffuse light source next time? Bounce it off the ceiling :shrug:

I would be interested to know what you think and what you would do differently next time?

BTW. How on earth did you get the shot timed? sound trigger or burst mode?

Bit of a catch up from me!

Rock - all 3 shots are definite keepers, lovely work! I have to say the first 2 just get the nod over the 3rd though. Nicely composed and the B&W processing works really well - but then I'm a sucker for B&W! Really nice work on these though, print worthy! :clap:

Pair - Again, really nice idea and executed perfectly. Love the 'stance' of each leaf and it's a pretty cool take on the theme, certainly unique! (y)

Shape - Like the idea, but I guess the only hang up from me would be I'd like to see more 'photograph' as really it could be an illustration if that makes sense? But then if it was a photograph I guess the shape element wouldn't have come through as strongly - :thinking: Not sure! Haha.

Speed - Nice idea - good to see a not-so-literal take on the theme too! (y) Did you use a flash gun? These types of shots can be really tricky, but you've done well there capturing the smash, especially seeing as you only had 4 goes! I've always fancied trying one of those external triggers that fire the camera when it senses a loud noise or a beam is broken - cheating I know! - but would've worked well with this set up! :)
Nice work! (y)

absolutely smashing Andy.... (has anyone done that one yet??) :exit:

regards the actual capture and composition, spot on.. On the processing, I think you have room to go a tad brighter??

Certainly on theme in the sense that it is high speed photography Andy (y)

You done well getting it in only 4 takes, good work.

Crit? It could be a little brighter I think, that may just be my laptop though :thinking:
Not sure if I would prefer a black background so as there is more contrast between the glass and the background.

Cheers

Hi Andy -

Speed - brave man. (y) That neither sounds nor looks easy and that is a really good shot for only 4 takes. I often take 20 of something that does not move :LOL: Hard to be hard on it but I think maybe a bit brighter and (only asking for miracles here) I would like to have seen the base of the glass a little higher and more angled. Feel free to tell me to :muted:

Chris: The different parts of the glass would be moving at different speeds.

Andy: FWIW I am rather impressed by your submission this week. Once again you have done something "different" and interesting. Exploring new techniques and getting feedback on our outcomes to help us progress should be on all of our agenda's right?

I think you are 90% of the way there. As anyone who has read light science and majic knows, Lighting glass is hard with a capital H. lighting unknown shapes must have been a nightmare... and that's the only thing that "lets it down" for me, the large specular highlight. Perhaps you could use a larger more diffuse light source next time? Bounce it off the ceiling :shrug:

I would be interested to know what you think and what you would do differently next time?

BTW. How on earth did you get the shot timed? sound trigger or burst mode?

'Ello and appreciate the detailed FB (y)

Yeah, the Specular highlight. I've been PPd it a little. I didn't think to bounce off the ceiling or use a defuser :bonk:

I'm not overly happy with it TBH. It is a tad dark and I'd have liked to see a bit more definition/drama.

I did use burst mode and might give it a go again. Next time I'll look for some better glasses, perhaps champaign glasses.....oh and I'll have to wait until Jackie has gone away again :D

Cheers.

Bit of a catch up from me!

Rock - all 3 shots are definite keepers, lovely work! I have to say the first 2 just get the nod over the 3rd though. Nicely composed and the B&W processing works really well - but then I'm a sucker for B&W! Really nice work on these though, print worthy! :clap:

Pair - Again, really nice idea and executed perfectly. Love the 'stance' of each leaf and it's a pretty cool take on the theme, certainly unique! (y)

Shape - Like the idea, but I guess the only hang up from me would be I'd like to see more 'photograph' as really it could be an illustration if that makes sense? But then if it was a photograph I guess the shape element wouldn't have come through as strongly - :thinking: Not sure! Haha.

Speed - Nice idea - good to see a not-so-literal take on the theme too! (y) Did you use a flash gun? These types of shots can be really tricky, but you've done well there capturing the smash, especially seeing as you only had 4 goes! I've always fancied trying one of those external triggers that fire the camera when it senses a loud noise or a beam is broken - cheating I know! - but would've worked well with this set up! :)
Nice work! (y)

Hi, Matt, I really must get a few printed (y)

Shape, I know exactly what you mean. It is more graphic than photographic.

Speed, yeah, external flash. I'd have had not issues using a sound trigger at all. Might invest in one :D

Appreciate the FB (y)

Cheers.

Certainly on theme in the sense that it is high speed photography Andy (y)

You done well getting it in only 4 takes, good work.

Crit? It could be a little brighter I think, that may just be my laptop though :thinking:
Not sure if I would prefer a black background so as there is more contrast between the glass and the background.

Cheers

Hi, Iain. I never even thought of using a black BG :thinking:

It is a tad dark. I played quite a bit with the brightness in post to get the best definition and had t sacrifice brightness for definition.

Cheers (y)

Hi Andy -

Speed - brave man. (y) That neither sounds nor looks easy and that is a really good shot for only 4 takes. I often take 20 of something that does not move :LOL: Hard to be hard on it but I think maybe a bit brighter and (only asking for miracles here) I would like to have seen the base of the glass a little higher and more angled. Feel free to tell me to :muted:

Hi, Alan, no, you're right. The angle isn't to my liking either. A you say more of an angle, this would have given more drama. It's, however, was my last glass :(

Cheers .

Last edited:
:LOL: brilliant Andy (y)

Its a creative take on the theme, a fun image but still very effective.

These are just my initial thoughts, I will post more in depth after having another look.

How did you do the footprints? You've got me intrigued :thinking:

Hi Andy
Like it, but without the foot it looks a bit odd at the top of the stairs, a little dark maybe (could be my screen) but I understand that if you where trying to accentuate the footprints.
Very clever and well thought out :clap:

No idea how to crit the glass shot... sure it's a shoehorn, but a direct take on the theme is less important than an interesting image IMO. It's an ambitious attempt, and it's close enough for me. I'd maybe like it to be a little more contrasty, less 'shades of grey' so to speak, but I have no idea how that could be done.

I like the foot version of steps, as it gives your eye something to look to after the last footprint. A really nice idea.

Plenty: Very nice, how id love to be there now!

Speed: Well captured and with only using 4 glasses!

Steps: no foot for me but thats fantastic! Would love to know how you did it!

I'm in the "NO foot" group too. Does look a bit dark, I would like to see the steps. Great idea though, what ARE the footprints made of?

:LOL: brilliant Andy (y)

Its a creative take on the theme, a fun image but still very effective.

These are just my initial thoughts, I will post more in depth after having another look.

How did you do the footprints? You've got me intrigued :thinking:

Cheers, Iain, paint....:D

I took two exposures, one for the brighter footprints and one for the rest. Imported into PS and stacked them. Added a foot outline and then copied the rest of the stairs. Using the perspective mode I made the footprints look like they were on the stairs. Then used a layer mask to reveal the lighter stairs through the footprints...or something like that :D

Cheers.

No idea how to crit the glass shot... sure it's a shoehorn, but a direct take on the theme is less important than an interesting image IMO. It's an ambitious attempt, and it's close enough for me. I'd maybe like it to be a little more contrasty, less 'shades of grey' so to speak, but I have no idea how that could be done.

I like the foot version of steps, as it gives your eye something to look to after the last footprint. A really nice idea.

I know what you mean about the Speed, I just couldn't get it to look like I wanted...:bang:

Steps, I rather enjoyed this one.

Cheers.

Hey Andy :)

Step(s) - Oooo without the foot for me, I wondered what it was at first, very nicely done, nice sparkly prints, and a great angle to catch more of them in view, cant wait to hear how you done them, is it going to be a real Blue Peter moment :)

Cheers. See post 700 for explanation. The angle was quite hard and precarious :nuts:

(y) Definitely better brighter, but I prefer it without the foot. It just took me a while to figure it out and see it as a foot.

Brilliantly clever idea and fantastic bit of processing on it.
It might have been a tight space, but you've managed a great angle and perspective on this and the two-tone banisters seem to add some real depth to it. It took me a while to stop seeing them as areas of shadow and highlight.

Cheers, Iain, paint....:D

I took two exposures, one for the brighter footprints and one for the rest. Imported into PS and stacked them. Added a foot outline and then copied the rest of the stairs. Using the perspective mode I made the footprints look like they were on the stairs. Then used a layer mask to reveal the lighter stairs through the footprints...or something like that :D

Cheers.

Do you know Andy, I am still none the wiser :LOL:

If I understand it, which I don't think I do but I take it the stair carpet is a lot lighter in reality and thats what the footprints are? Then take a darker exposure and then work your PS as above?

I am dense, you've genuinely got me baffled :thinking:

whew....finally got here after falling behind with comments...sorry matey :crying:

Plenty.....a lovely scene overall with good contrast between sky,clouds n sea plus the bonus of the boats.(y) probably my monitor as no-one else has mentioned but seems a little over sharpened ?

Speed.......excellent shoehorn there mister...high speed photography....love that the shards are sharp but the movement still visible in the stem....shows speed of fall ...good work me thinks (y)

Step.......I've just read your "how I did this " & am still bemused.....thought you'd been playing with glow in the dark jello & wondered how you are still breathing after Jackie spotted them :LOL: Another vote for the no foot shot....the imprints are so clear I don't think you really need it in there

Good stuff all round matey (y)

(y) Definitely better brighter, but I prefer it without the foot. It just took me a while to figure it out and see it as a foot.

Brilliantly clever idea and fantastic bit of processing on it.
It might have been a tight space, but you've managed a great angle and perspective on this and the two-tone banisters seem to add some real depth to it. It took me a while to stop seeing them as areas of shadow and highlight.

Thanks, Sarah, appreciate the FB.

Do you know Andy, I am still none the wiser :LOL:

If I understand it, which I don't think I do but I take it the stair carpet is a lot lighter in reality and thats what the footprints are? Then take a darker exposure and then work your PS as above?

I am dense, you've genuinely got me baffled :thinking:

Essentially, yes. The carpet is probably about half way between the dark carpet and the light carpet.

Cheers.

whew....finally got here after falling behind with comments...sorry matey :crying:

Plenty.....a lovely scene overall with good contrast between sky,clouds n sea plus the bonus of the boats.(y) probably my monitor as no-one else has mentioned but seems a little over sharpened ?

Speed.......excellent shoehorn there mister...high speed photography....love that the shards are sharp but the movement still visible in the stem....shows speed of fall ...good work me thinks (y)

Step.......I've just read your "how I did this " & am still bemused.....thought you'd been playing with glow in the dark jello & wondered how you are still breathing after Jackie spotted them :LOL: Another vote for the no foot shot....the imprints are so clear I don't think you really need it in there

Good stuff all round matey (y)

Cheers, Lynne. I can't remember how much I sharpened Space.

Jello, OOF, Jackie would have :bat: me.

wonderfully inventive idea there andy - understand how you did it but I would NEVER have worked it out had you not told.....

great execution too, I would imagine that the end result is pretty much waht you saw in your (crazy :LOL:) mind before taking the shot!! (y)

They seem to be getting farther apart as they go up - rather than perspective bringing them closer... but this just adds a bit more intrigue and interest for me.

Nice one!

wonderfully inventive idea there andy - understand how you did it but I would NEVER have worked it out had you not told.....

great execution too, I would imagine that the end result is pretty much waht you saw in your (crazy :LOL:) mind before taking the shot!! (y)

They seem to be getting farther apart as they go up - rather than perspective bringing them closer... but this just adds a bit more intrigue and interest for me.

Nice one!

Cheers....perspective :bonk: sometimes I get so focused I miss the obvious!

I like both the original step - glowing feet on stairs - very interesting idea, sadly the backgrounds a bit too distracting - perhaps cropping to the middle 4 or 5 stairs may have worked better.

Now, that final image you posted of the mono (yep, its a two for one :)) of the leaf is excellent, the border finished off nicely too (y)

Hi Andy,
I do like the lighter version of your original submission for step (y)

Your latest submission, the leaf shot I am not too sure of to be honest :thinking:

Technically, very good, well lit, composed (the negative space again works well) but......... as a concept, thats where I am struggling.

Its the context of it, having a little set of steps cut out from a leaf, just not sure, sorry matey :(

I like both the original step - glowing feet on stairs - very interesting idea, sadly the backgrounds a bit too distracting - perhaps cropping to the middle 4 or 5 stairs may have worked better.

Now, that final image you posted of the mono (yep, its a two for one :)) of the leaf is excellent, the border finished off nicely too (y)

Cheers. cropped, it loses it's context IMO.

Hi Andy,
I do like the lighter version of your original submission for step (y)

Your latest submission, the leaf shot I am not too sure of to be honest :thinking:

Technically, very good, well lit, composed (the negative space again works well) but......... as a concept, thats where I am struggling.

Its the context of it, having a little set of steps cut out from a leaf, just not sure, sorry matey :(

Cheers, Iain, appreciate the FB. It would be a boring project if everyone liked everything (y)

Hi

I prefer the lighter version of steps.

Only a small crit, some of the footprints look a little odd, nice take and very good idea though.

Back