weekly ams99 - 52 Challenge - Week 52 Water

well you've done your own crit so I'm almost lost for words.

The people in the background might actually add a little something to the picture if they were not in equal sharpness as the "subject" so maybe a wider aperture would have helped?

Do you PP? :D a touch of blur selectively (and gently) applied to the background might rescue it some?

Good call Brian.

Lost for words........... now that surprises me :D

As Brian said Alan, you've done your self critique and left us with nowt to say :LOL:

Its bang on theme, technically very good, with a little pp as Brian suggested it'll be spot on. (y)

Huge improvement! :clap: btw I said "almost" lost for words!:LOL:

PS. coincidentally Stanwick with a T is where I shot my swan picture last week!

still is a perfect subject for the theme - fascinating, we all know how it must be done, but the fact we can't see how it's done is great....

The BG is the only thing bringing it down, I think the level of blur you have on the first, combined with the "cutting out" on the second might work - but its a real challenge... I might have a go at some point... also need to bear in mind some of the pavement in the same focal plane as him needs to be sharp, and graduate(?) as you go behind him.

When you select, the amount of feathering you choose will be important (possibly even go to 1 or 2 (maybe even 0) pixels.... But it's not going to be easy!! (Good efforts though).

Can't add much to what's been said from a technical perspective Alan, but in terms of content and subjuect matter I find this fascinating. Absolutely no idea how he's managing to balance like that :thinking:

I really can't stop by here without commenting on your beginning shot either.
That's a stunner IMO and definitely one to print out for the wall :)

Sorry - back again.... :LOL:

In addition to the point I made earlier - about the feathering amount... also to consider is that when you blur the background, particularly at a sharp line of dark and light, the blur will.... (for want of a better word), blur that sharp edge, so even if you cut out the subject perfectly you will be left with a "halo" around them.

I had a play with just the head, first by cloning over the edges on the original sharp image,

giving this cloned edge version (doesn't have to be good cloning... :LOL: but the background needs to cover whatever radius your blur is going to be.

then Blurring this cloned edge version (See why the cloning doesn;t have to be any good...

overlaying the cut out subject on the cloned edge blurred background gives this.....

2hu6.jpg

compared to the non cloned edge background.......
r8g4.jpg

Hi
Good subject for the theme, its always difficult too get a shot like that with all the people around, I think Graham has done a nice explanation of how to achieve what you want.

Oh Gosh! I actually understand as well. Thank you for that excellent explanation with pictures. It made it so much easier to follow. :clap:(y)

My challenge now is to try and replicate..............

OK so I was going to leave it there so as not to overwhelm you but 1 more point I would like to make is that - as Graham rightly pointed out in his first post - if you are going to make this look believable then after you have your perfectly blurred background shot, if you overlay it on your original and use a layer mask you can paint the focus back in to keep the pavement in the foreground in focus and have the background go gradually out of focus. This is not cut out as good as Grahams and is by no means perfect but I think it shows what I mean.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Last edited:
OK so I was going to leave it there so as not to overwhelm you but 1 more point I would like to make is that - as Graham rightly pointed out in his first post - if you are going to make this look believable then after you have your perfectly blurred background shot, if you overlay it on your original and use a layer mask you can paint the focus back in to keep the pavement in the foreground in focus and have the background go gradually out of focus. This is not cut out as good as Grahams and is by no means perfect but I think it shows what I mean.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

(y) Thanks Graham.

I will be having my own attempt tomorrow afternoon (when everyone is out the house :)

Week 35 - Whimsical

Not a quality image but i wanted to try my new found blurring the background skills courtesy of Graham and Brian's advice.

This is the first time we have ever bought a scratch card....... and we won!!

Proceeded to spend it in the pub :) didn't get much alcohol for it mind!

Great work, much better than last weeks efforts!

That tenner REALLY pops out, and a lovely expression too.

(On the PP, just a bit smoother around her left ear, and its a good 'un...) (y)

Hi Alan
The blurring of the BG has really made the subject matter stand out, you have done really well.
Nothing wrong with using the shoehorn and crowbar technique either (y)

Hi Alan :)

You are working great with these last couple of shots, you have taken on board the advice and applied it very well, that's what I love about the forum!!!!

I too like seeing the faces/expressions on the peoples faces

The last one sure does stand out nicely, nicely done (y)

Last edited:
HI ya :wave:

Please put me out of my misery...been staring at Curve for about 1/2 an hour & still can't see what it is :bonk:

Even though you say no crit required thought I'd say.....DOF field looks really good (y)

As Andy would say " post and be dammed"....sometimes it has to be the way to go......& don't be worried about falling behind...you can always catch up in your time

cheers

Hi Alan

nice idea for power a bit closer maybe though, must have been hard dealing with that shiny chrome

Liking the thinking behind solitude its a nice idea, just that bit of grass in the corner, nice shadow and the tea and fags is a nice little touch.

Hi ya Alan :wave:

Power.....lots of power & darned noisey those things !..Well handled exposure on all that chrome (y) Can't belive the owner spent all that money & time chroming it, polishing it, engraving it & then put that carp aftermarket can on it :thinking:

Solitude....I'm liking that....the whole thing from the shadow , the cuppa & baccy , the slight angle all work really well for me :clap:....wonder what mono would look like ??

ps...thanks for putting me out of my misery.....garden rake....obvious now you've said it :bonk:

Power, lovely job there, loads of detail, even in the shiny bits, only negative is the rucksack in the shot on the left.

Solitude, well you deserve to be on your own, dirty smoker! :LOL:

I really like the shadows and the textures, nice composition. As Lynne said, I wondr what B&W would look like? (y)

Back