weekly Ivan Dobski's 52 - Week 7: Root (Page 3, added 18th)

Edit My Images
Yes
First pic of my first challenge. Not a particularly imaginative play on the theme of Direction but hey-ho.

Had the idea a week ago and I've been waiting for decent weather ever since - there wasn't any so went out in the rain today. Was thinking of drying the raindrops off everything for the pic but in the end I decided to keep them in.

Taken with my "old skool" Pentax F1.7 fully manual lens from back in the day at F1.7 and 1/1000th. Other than a touch of cooling in PSE it's straight from the camera.

Any comments or criticisms much appreciated, I want to get as much out of this challenge as possible.

6652829829_4c9a5fa7cb_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Welcome to the 52 challenge, the idea is right but IMO a more full on image showing the compass needle would have been more on theme - look forward to seeing your next pics (y)

A good start. Reminds me of my DOE award when I got so annoyed with my map and compass I just chucked it in a field and got on a bus!

Good luck with your project.

Cheers guys, I wanted to get the idea of following the compass into the wild but tbh it didn't work as I hoped and I didn't have the time to play around with it for long - moving house tonight and new job monday!

great idea, but for me the dof is a little too distracting. I agree that if you could see where it was pointing it would give the image more impact and I'd love to see more of the map in focus.
Really interesting take on the theme, very imaginative :)

I agree. Fantasic idea; I too have had several views like this when I've fell into drainage ditches or sunk into bog :)

hi Ivan, a good idea that has been hampered by the bad weather recently. I too would haver preferred to have seen a bit more of the compass but nothertheless its brilliant idea using the compass and map in the right setting!!

I look forward to seeing your next 51!!

Hi Ivan

nice start to your challenge...all crit been mentioned but I'd just add maybe crop a little off the top...whilst I like the DOF theres maybe a little too much ?
I actually quite like the very shallow veiw of the compass :)...sort of says..." which direction is it showing ?"

Best of luck with your project...look forward to seeing your next 51 (y)

Hi there, there's a lot of walkers on here with the number of compasses...

Like the BG but not grabbing me..DOF is too shallow.

Keep posting...(y)

Cheers guys, I didn't realise I had more comments since the other day.

I think this is def going to get a reshoot when the weather's better - either mistier or sunnier. Hopefully I'll get a clearer pic of the compass but still manage to keep the distance in shot as well.

The DOF can be blamed squarely on the fact that I got carried away with the lens after not really using it since buying it. I never realised quite how fast & shallow it would shoot - now I do though so I'll no doubt be overdoing this effect for the next 51 weeks!

Am a big fan of Narrow dof so it hits my buttons, and bang on theme, i agree with some of the others would have liked to see more of the compass face but can see what you were trying to achieve

Cheers guys, I wanted to get the idea of following the compass into the wild but tbh it didn't work as I hoped and I didn't have the time to play around with it for long - moving house tonight and new job monday!

Crikey all that on you're plate and still doing a 52, well done :)

Think the idea is good, the DOF is spot on but as others have said I think it would work if you could see a the compass needle.

Good luck with the move and new job, look forward to seeing some more pics soon.

For Fear you could take a pic of the removal van, I think thats one of my worst fears lol

First, thanks to everyone who commented on week 1's pic - much appreciated. I haven't ignored the advice about cropping etc but want the pictures on this thread to be the originals but I'll do some re-shoots when I can for comparison.

For this week I started off thinking of some horror film type scenario shots like the face in the window, spooky woods and so on before time constraints forced me to do something a bit quicker and simpler. As such I decided to shoot an item or product which was inherently scary - knife, gun etc.

However I then thought of approaching it from the other direction and shooting something which relies on the fear of the consequences of not using it as it's main selling point...

6695993829_b49414672d_b.jpg

Not the best quality in the world, for some reason I was worse than usual tonight at taking the pictures - getting it this far was a major faff!

Last edited:
Great idea and a unique take on the theme. (y)

As said before I think the composition is a little to simple. A different angle on the packet, or maybe take the condom out of the packet and shoot that. :shrug:

Direction : I really like that... an unusual viewpoint on the compass and map. Fits perfectly

Fear : A very good idea and an unusual take on the theme.. it works. Not sure on how to approach it to improve... it seems a little simple as Phil mentioned...

Hi Ivan,

Really unusual and thoughtful take on the theme for fear – definitely far from the obvious, but it works well even without the explanation.
Technically there’s nothing to find fault with in the execution of this, but personally I’d like to see something with a bit more oomph than just a packet. Perhaps the discarded, torn open pack on some rumpled bed sheets or something???

Cheers guys, couldn't agree with the points more tbh - it is definitely lacking as a photo.

I like the torn open packet idea and when I eventually get round to a "52 - The Reshoots" thread I think that's the way to go.

Now to start looking at other people threads for this week!

Hi, there, I like the concept of fear but the application, as you appreciate, doesn't work too well. Open, lower angle, all in focus, different composition, etc, might have improved.

Keep up with it and you will improve....(y)

Cheers.

Well here we are - Sigh.

Obviously the idea is the sigh of a good stiff drink after a hard day.

The other, less obvious Sigh is the fact that this is idea number 4. The previous 3 not having worked out particularly well. For some reason getting the glass in focus and the background sufficiently dark was beyond me tonight.

I hope Sweet turns out to be easier!

Crit much appreciated...

6737786637_22f364da4f_b.jpg

Oh and everything was clean & smudge free but it doesn't look like it on there. Sigh.

Last edited:
I like this shot. I agree that there could maybe be a little more space around the bottle and glass and IMHO the bottle top is a little distracting but the focus is spot on and I really like the highlights on the bottle and glass. Good stuff!!!

I like that, but agree with Michael re the crop and exposure :)

Agree with the crop being a tad close and I also wonder is a little lighter would have enhanced the colour of the whiskey - nice idea though (y)

Cheers guys.

The reason for the close crop is the black background is only just big enough to fill that shot, any more space and you could see my white walls - agree totally though that it's ended up looking cramped.

The exposure was semi-deliberate in that I was aiming for a sort of low-key product shot but had no idea how to go about it - obviously I've missed the mark so I'll be checking out some tutorials.

Thanks again,

HI ya

very original take on the fear theme....& a good one at that (y)

Crit's been mentioned....look forward to seeing your reshoot's :)

Sigh....really hard theme...but your image hits the spot so good job (y) Lighting anything with reflective surfaces can be a mare....cheapo light box from fleabay may be one way to go ? I also struggle with backgrounds....huge sheets of colored thick paper from Hobbycraft or similar blue-tacked to the wall do the trick(y) the tight crop doesn't really bother me though...concentrates your eye on the whiskey :)

Right, to go with my slightly underwhelming Sigh we have a slightly underwhelming Sweet.

I wanted the bright white background but didn't pull it off - I def need to research how certain styles are done rather than trial and error followed by hoping for the best!

6777785451_8b18b7a56e_b.jpg

Crit, as always, much appreciated.

Back