Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited:

_D7K4283 by Koprano,

I gave no consideration to the background merely which bottles to use remembering to use odd numbers. I thought a mid f number to keep everything sharp. DOF can follow later. I just like the balance of 2 green bottles and short dumpy bottle in the middle. Maybe i should have used my clear glenmorangie instead of the lagavolin

No post processing here. Im even more clueless about PP than i am about taking photos. I have a lot to learn but love trying

Last edited:
I am a total novice and almost clueless. This was set up on tripod with sidelights

Good start Carl, that is certainly a sinful collection of Whiskey you have there!

Nice sharp image. Good start, and a great collection of booze :)

Good luck with your 52…

Nice photo Carl, glad to see I'm not the only novice here! I just don't understand what the sin is with that other than there is none in a glass!

I love the way that the writing on the boxes is distorted by the glass as well :) the only things that I could see personally that I would change (if you don't mind me saying so) are removing the remnants of the label at the top of the Glenfiddich bottle and the Aberlour lid being slightly off but as I say these are just personal things for me.

Looking forward to seeing the next 51 :)

Nice sharp image Carl, I like the row of different bottles with their corresponding boxes behind but the BG is a little heavy in my opinion. The theme is nice, enjoy!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm aberlour :D i like the photo just the torn lable on the glen is the only thing for me well done

Hi Carl....welcome to the 52's madhouse :wave:

Impressive collection of Whiskies there...I'll take the Dalwhinnie if it's going spare please (y)

Nicely lit , only a few hotspots which it may be possible to clone out ( if you have way more ability than me in pp ! )....piece of card or cloth for the bg would improve it as mentioned by others...pop the lid on the tin , peel the rest of the label of the glenfid & take the little booklet off the Dalwhinnie box & jobs a good'un (y)

Well done Carl - keep going and you should see a real improvement by the year end!

The lighting on the Laphroaig has come through really well, and the writing on the Aberlour box could be a great idea if "distort" comes up as a theme.

oh - and I'm getting a bit of a lean to the right on these.

Last edited:
Thank you for comments etc.

I will take this onboard and have another go tonight without the heavy green background and tidy up the lid and bottle....:D

Yep, I agree a better background would improve this, but it's a great shot. Well composed, focussed and lit. Maybe needs a very slight straighten, but not a lot.

A nice shot, def a sinful collection! Good luck with your 52!

background is distracting and its not straight but a good start

Sin indeed, or not :D.

White balance looks just about right. BG mentioned. Well composed. Slightly OFF maybe.

Decent start.

Cheers.

kind of the idea i was thinking of if i can bother.........

Looks a tad u/ex and a tweak ccw to level the tiles?

Well I went to The range and bought a few coloured A1 cards to use as backgrounds and some soft card to place inside my light tent when I get round to using that.

Looking forward to next weeks topic and improving over the months.

Glad ive started the challenge.

Just driven past Dalwhinnie Distillery on my way home from Skye to Perth, topical for me but after a heavy festive period I get the Sin in this! Revised edit is much improved!

there's a lot of booze and chocolates for this theme :) nice collection of bottles, don't know much about whiskey, like the lighting in the second version..

Hi Carl :)

I agree with all of the above comments, and would probably add that it looks a little brighter on the right hand side of the frame than the left (obviously the source of the light), but maybe a reflector or piece of white paper on camera left would of lifted the shadows on that side a little? Just IMO though, definately prefer the revised edit though

Danny

Well season is not as easy as sin. I don't want to just do a weather or salt pepper / spice shot... I did a kitchen shot last week

As soon as I read season I thought about the book a man for all seasons that I did at o level English lit. But its proving a real challenge . My other idea was Xmas trees out with the rubbish as that really hits the timeframe of the week but I've not seen them.

More thinking needed...

Well I found discarded xmas trees. Im not sure it quite works, so I will continue to ponder and maybe reshoot.

xmastree by Koprano,

This was shot before work this morning, I was thinking about the DOF so used f2.8 on my 70 - 200. iso 800 and 80th second. IS turned off, which i think was a mistake, as its not quite sharp enough.

But its a bit different from other which I wanted.

To me the discarded xmas tree really says post xmas season..

Hi

Definitely on topic and good photo :) But I think you are right, could have been a bit sharper - what shutter speed did you use? Also, I think the tinsel on the right distracts the viewer a little - perhaps it could be rearranged to make a more balanced image?

definitely could do with being a bit sharper i don't get why you turned IS off I wouldn't unless it was on a tripod, also the WB is slightly off it looks slightly blue, on topic though they are all just small details (y)

Agree with the sharpness comments but great colour contrast.

I retook the photo yesterday and i think its a bit sharper. VR turned on this time.

xmastree by Koprano,

Settings: 1/60 ƒ/8 ISO 1000 @ 122 mm
Nikon d7000 & sigma 70-200 lens

Last edited:
well done - definite improvement from the last one.

Different POV changes it from "a picture of an old xmas tree" into an image that has been thought about and composed (y)

I din't see the first one but I really like this one. Made me feel sad for the poor tree, I like the composition anyway but the tinsel really tells the story and is the icing on the cake for me.

Back