2013 ETC...... completed......winner announced

kelack

TPer Emerita - But she's back!
Name
Kelly
Edit My Images
Yes
Following the success (!) of my 12 for 12 Step Out of Your Comfort Zone challenge, I thought I would give it another go for a monthly fun challenge:

The 2013 ETC... project

Right, the challenge is that each month I will post up a list of 6 different effects, techniques or creative ideas for you to either select one or use all 6 or even two themes and 3 pictures for each. However many you select, you will need to have 6 different pictures for it. There will be repeats through the year so you can perfect the e.t.c.

This could be anything from star trails to multiplicity to tryptichs to light painting. I have had a fun search around the internet and built up quite a list.

The etcs will be posted on the 1st of the month (as best I can, if not a day or two after), once you have taken your first set, you can start your own thread here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117

and then up date it each month. With regards to commenting, it would be nice if we could comment on each participants threads just to offer encourage along the way.

Depending on sign up numbers, there will be a prize at the end of the year for the best set chosen by the TP staff (any mods that join the challenge will of course be excluded from this prize). To qualify for this, you must have completed at least 6 months challenges throughout the year. You cannot use photos from other years. All photos must be taken in 2013. To be in with a chance of winning, you must have at least three photos from each month, taken in that month. Obviously the more photos you have to pick from, the more chances you have of winning. Due to the clarification of rules, January's and February's submissions (up until midnight Sunday 3rd March) will be taken into account. Themes will now appear on the 1st of every month and you have that calendar month to complete three or more

So who's in?

January's themes will be:
  • Star Trails
  • Domes/Orbs
  • Sparklers/Fire Dancing
  • Fairy Lights
  • Physiogram
  • City Lights/Night Lights
February's themes will be:
  • Multiplicity
  • Triptych
  • Contre Jour
  • Bubbles
  • Water drops/water splash
  • Natural Light
March's themes will be:
  • Smoke Art
  • Planet Panorama (miniature Planet)
  • Panoramic Landscape/Urban/Architecture
  • Tilt Shift
  • The Harris Shutter Effect
  • The Droste Effect
April's themes will be:
May's themes will be:
  • High Speed
  • Black & White
  • Selective Colouring
  • Motion Blur
  • Levitating Effect
  • Leading Lines
June's themes will be slightly different, I want photos and then processed into the following styles but with a twist, I want a storyboard so pick one style/genre and take 6 photos that tell a story:
Polaroid/Instagram/Pinhole/Lomo/Retro

July's themes will be:

• Sequence photograph - a photo showing several sequential movements in one photograph
  • Joiner Effect - A photo montage like this one here: http://lomokev.com/blog/montage-portraits-one-year-on/
  • From the hip or boot - so without looking through the viewfinder and shooting from the hip or low angle, from your boot
  • Creative self-portrait - something different
  • 360 Panorama
  • Reflection/Mirror
August's themes will be:
  • Yv's Single Use Camera Challenge - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=490758
  • Use an ordinary object to create the unexpected
  • Digitally merge images to play with scale
  • Make a cinematic scene
  • Do you remember Dear Photograph? Create one of these
  • Fisheye effect done with photoshop not with a lens
September's themes will be:
October's themes will be creating various promotional things:
  • Film Poster (either a made up film or a recreation of a current poster in your own style)
  • CD Cover (again, made up band and song or recreation)
  • Magazine Cover
  • Magazine Advert
  • A book cover (as per the film and cd)
  • A flyer promoting your photography
November's themes:

Well worth the wait.....

December's themes are easy this month

You have to pick 6 themes from any of the other months that you have not yet done.

Last edited:
I've been out of the game for over a year now and need to get back behind the lens.

This sounds like just the sort of relaxed challenge for a busy full-timer.

Count me in (y)

Ian.

Reactions: RVW
It certainly is relaxed lol

Welcome to the fun!

I'm up for this. I was hoping for something like your 12 for 12 similar to last year. I suspect I'll learn much more with these techniques tho.
Bring it on :)

And then there were 3 :D

Welcome :)

Sounds like the sort of thing to kick me into gear. Sign me up and I'll do my best.

And Merry Xmas. :)

And I will be giving you a monthly kick :D

Welcome to the fun :D

Count me in please , I've lost my way this year with photography and a challenge like this sounds like the kick up the bum I need

Thanks

Count me in please , I've lost my way this year with photography and a challenge like this sounds like the kick up the bum I need

Thanks

Me too - going to give the 365 a whirl, and this should compliment it very nicely :D

Cool. You're both on the list :)

Thanks all

sounds like a fun, please add my name to the list.

Sounds pretty good if I've understood it correctly; you post 6 effects or styles each month, and we either submit one shot per style, or 6 shots all using the same style from the list?

Then we each comment on each other's shots?

I'm doing the 52 challenge again in 2013 (second year of that, for my second year into photography), but this does sound great too, so unless I've got the above horribly wrong, please count me in :)

this sounds like one for me as well, i got half way through the 52 this year but was so busy in the summer it failed, having a month to shoot should be ok

Hi Kel,

can i join in the fun please... its my first time in this sort of thing but i will try my best..

Regards

Steve

I'll give it a go, need to get out of my comfort zone and get my creative juices flowing (apparently I haven't got an artistic bone in my body) so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks all and welcome. I'll update the list when I get to a computer

:D

im always keen to experiment and learn so i'd be up for this aswell!

Not a problem. Will add you as well

Kel, when will you post the first 6 'topics'? I'm becoming restless while waiting! Fancy giving them slightly early? :)

When you all stop calling me Kel :p :LOL:

It's not 2013 yet. I will be posting the first 6 on New Year's Day and then on the 1st of the month thereafter :)

Hi Kelly, can you let us know a bit more about the format please? Where will the photos go? Do we comment on each others shots? Etc etc :)

I'll sort it all out tomorrow and get it in the first post.

Please put me down on the list for this too.

Only had my camera a little over 6 months so am still relatively beginner standard but really want to push myself this year to try and help myself improve!

Thanks Phil, you're in

So, January....

As the nights are still quite long and people may still have their decorations up, I thought we'd start the year with 6 different types of Light Painting/Long Exposure

Remember to create your own thread in the Challenges Photo Sharing section (you can find the link in my OP)

Have fun

That's why I put Night Lights/City Lights. It gives those that aren't in cities the option.

There will be photoshop and pp skills elementd in this. You can either do just photography or a mixture.

Welcome to the fun

Whao Hoo and I'm off :)

Thanks Kelack, physiograms have been on my to try list for about a year and I've never got round to it, but today that changed, so I've set up my new thread which is here:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=5230814#post5230814

Good luck everyone and have fun.

Wow, you didn't waste much time, did you :LOL:

I'll comment on your thread. Well done. You might like to try some of the others as you have a whole month left :D

Go on, ill have a bash :)

Matt

Consider yourself added

I was looking for a challenge for this year that got me out with the camera more so stick my name down too if it's not too late to join in.

Might have to Google some of the styles though.

In anticipation of being OK to join in, I have created my own thread already - no pictures yet:
Mac's 2013 ETC Thread

Last edited:
Of course, you're not too late at all. Welcome

No problem, you are on the list :D

Light trails could come under City/Night lights if you want. I didn't specify light trails as I would have had them under Night Lights :D

Hi, all I'm on my lunch break at the White Rose Centre in Leeds trying to pluck up courage to take some photographs of the fairy lights.... Out of comfort zone.... Eeeek

Cheers

Back