2014-2015 Slimming Thread

Im trying the Mens Health V8 Challenge to Slim down, I doubt it'll have a huge effect.

Above - Jam and Apple definitely not needed. Im surprised you eat Spaghetti before a work out?

Its rather dense before a workout isn't it? Same properties as Pasta?
Depending on what's combined with it, it's quite easily digested. Based on the above, it's probably ok although probably cutting it a bit fine.

For pre workout I'd always opt for the fastest digesting carbs since they will be fit for purpose faster than something like pasta which would take longer, typically.

Lot of variables to consider tbh when it comes to pre workout (and performance).

Am down 1kg today. First time in a month that I've weighed myself. Slow progress but it's still progress.
Another 1kg down. 2kg in two weeks isn't too bad. Aim for the new year was to get down to 80kg and am at 83kg now.

Last edited:
No weightloss since Friday but I'm maintaining 15st 6lb.

It hasn't helped that I've been away on a 3 day training course which has messed my eating routine a little.

Whilst I was strong enough to leave the jacket spuds and burgers served at lunctime, the bacon rolls served at 9am were too much to resist :LOL:

Back on the wagon now though so fingers crossed I'll carry on losing :)

It hasn't helped that I've been away on a 3 day training course which has messed my eating routine a little.

Whilst I was strong enough to leave the jacket spuds and burgers served at lunctime, the bacon rolls served at 9am were too much to resist :LOL:

Let's be fair...more than bacon rolls went in ;) lol

It's ok to maintain as long as you plan to and you're ok with it - the depression and relapse sets in when you expect to lose weight whilst eating the wrong things.

I've had to create a hole in my (fairly new) belt. I wonder if I should review my targets at some point. My waist (at last measurement) was 40.5". I want to get it down to 36" but that's a long term (years) target. At one point it was 44-45" which was huge.

Let's be fair...more than bacon rolls went in ;) lol

OK... you got me...... there may have been some biscuits and sweets readily to hand too :LOL:

I was more conscious of how many I was eating and when I was eating them....... honest ;)

I was under no illusions about what the 3 days would mean in terms of weightloss, as I said I was happy just to maintain for those 3 days and will hopefully start dropping the lbs again soon :D

Well done on your loss :)

Have only lost 6.5lb in total so unless I lose 7.5lb this coming week I wont reach my goal and lets face it that isn't going to happen !!
I have gone to the gym 3 times a week and swam 4 times a week .
My diet is far better and I am sticking to the WW plan .

I have lost 0.5" on my waist and 3" off my bust (I wanted to keep that bit !! )
Feeling gutted and despondent but I am not going to give up .

Have only lost 6.5lb in total so unless I lose 7.5lb this coming week I wont reach my goal and lets face it that isn't going to happen !!

Don't get disappointed and do the same thing - eat 250-400kcal less each day and things will speed up!

If you don't, that's fine but just expect the same results and you wouldn't be disheartened because you'd expect it :)

Today my food intake has/will be
half a wholemeal wrap toasted (breakfast)
half a wholemeal wrap toasted 1 egg and cherry toms
medium chicken breast 100g new pots, cabbage, broccoli, carrots and gravy
1 mango and a handful of grapes
milk for cups tea

will stick with it and point rather than do filling and healthy

Last edited:
medium chicken breast 100g new pots, cabbage, broccoli, carrots and gravy
1 mango and a handful of grapes
milk for cups tea
The trick with fast weight loss is to supply your body with what you NEED rather than what you want/will fill you up.

This requires both physical and psychological changes as the above has probably 400calories over what you need for a decent period of time in order to avoid fat storing (roughly 3hrs).

Your problem will be that rather than having the whole day relying on stored fat to fuel your energy requirements, you are over feeding yourself and thus effectively slowing down the amount of energy produced from fat.

But that's OK IF that's the speed you want to go at and don't want to make too many sacrifices in terms of lifestyle.

The trick with fast weight loss is to supply your body with what you NEED rather than what you want/will fill you up.

This requires both physical and psychological changes as the above has probably 400calories over what you need for a decent period of time in order to avoid fat storing (roughly 3hrs).

Your problem will be that rather than having the whole day relying on stored fat to fuel your energy requirements, you are over feeding yourself and thus effectively slowing down the amount of energy produced from fat.

But that's OK IF that's the speed you want to go at and don't want to make too many sacrifices in terms of lifestyle.

the mango grapes and milk are distributed throughout the day
what would you suggest as a main meal then ?
Am not so much after fast weight loss I want sustainable weight loss

Anythings sustainable with the right lifestyle changes...how slow/fast you go is up to you in this period of transition.

You could double your results but that would mean instead of the meal you said, just have the chicken & veg or 70g potatoes and veg. For example.

Once you reach a stage where you want to maintain then you could have 1 bad day for every 2 good days for example.

So really just dropping the gravy and pots?
am not giving up skimmed milk in my tea as having it black makes me chuck !!!!
no fruit throughout the day ?

Last edited:

Had some "issues" with work & family over the last couple of weeks which have disrupted my routine a bit, I also went to Centre Parcs at the weekend and indulged a little, however I'm down to 15st 2lb now which I'm over the moon about as that's a loss of around 12lb since the start of the year :)

Russ - you're the man! Well done.

I was diagnosed with Diabetes and High Colestreaol on NY's eve. I have swapped white bread for wholemeal, white rice for brown, cut out all sugar stuff (sweets, and stuff) virtually eat no red meat, no fried stuff etc etc. Lost a few pounds, but not as much as I'd liked. Unfortunately I am dependant on a few beers and/or a bottle of wine in the evenings. I can't sleep with out it.

Any ideas on how to give up the grogg?
Type 1 or 2??

Type 2

Last edited:

Last edited:
I am dependant on a few beers and/or a bottle of wine in the evenings. I can't sleep with out it.
Any ideas on how to give up the grogg?
It depends on how much you need to get to sleep and why you think you need it to sleep.
As for the change to wholewheat bread (and pasta?) I think you will find it can help, but maybe only as part of a lifestyle change ... cutting down on the grogg and simply going out for walks .... even if it's walking to a pub further away from home and cutting down your drinking time ;) Oh and not stocking up at home with booze from when you get back from that walk home.

Down to 13st 2lb, so around 12lbs down in 6.5 weeks, pretty happy with that considering I've had a bit of an off week over the last week (eaten out a few times and had quite a few drinks). My aim is/was 12st 8lbs for 3 weeks time so as long as I keep about 2lbs a week up I should get there.

I think I'm too far gone with the diabetes, but I need to give up the booze but finding it difficult.

I too am type II - please don't take this advise and do damage to yourself - disclaimer: I take no responsibility!

but

alcohol reduces blood glucose (yes there is an initial spike) but it gets the blood sugars down - something with the way that it makes the liver work - but please, do your own research before any actions

for me (and I was 29.6) at the point of diagnosis, i'm now about 6.x with metformin and no cutting back on the booze (i've had my lowest counts following a heavy night)

I'm also more in the low carb camp and every meeting with the local diabetic nurse ends up in disagreement concerning the 'NHS way'

I also believe that it's reversible but your looking at serious exercise and a 800cal (heathy unprocessed food only) a day diets for 6 months - type II is insulin resistance, current treatment is to force the body to add more insulin and deal with the high glucose but the real cure (i believe) is to break down the resistance

I too am type II - please don't take this advise and do damage to yourself - disclaimer: I take no responsibility!

but

alcohol reduces blood glucose (yes there is an initial spike) but it gets the blood sugars down - something with the way that it makes the liver work - but please, do your own research before any actions

for me (and I was 29.6) at the point of diagnosis, i'm now about 6.x with metformin and no cutting back on the booze (i've had my lowest counts following a heavy night)

I'm also more in the low carb camp and every meeting with the local diabetic nurse ends up in disagreement concerning the 'NHS way'

Hmmm...that's got my brain working.

Alcohol takes priority in liver activity but insulin in still needed to process the excess energy in the blood...it's possible that the alcohol interferes with blood sugar production when hungry but I can't see it as helpful in most situatuons.

I would be extremely cautious of this as 5 pints would need a lot of insulin activity.

I could be wrong and I will be researching but based on what I currently know, I'd strongly debate that alcohol is good for diabetes management.

I also believe that it's reversible but your looking at serious exercise and a 800cal (heathy unprocessed food only) a day diets for 6 months - type II is insulin resistance, current treatment is to force the body to add more insulin and deal with the high glucose but the real cure (i believe) is to break down the resistance

This is correct.

"Alcohol can have a confusing effect on blood sugar levels because it prevents the liver from producing glucose. One consequence of this is that hypoglycemia can occur after a night of drinking.
As a result, people with diabetes are often advised to eat something to compensate for the expected drop in blood sugar levels."

As I suspected - the alcohol priority means glucose production in the liver is slowed down. Hence the alcohol on an empty stomach being a higher risk factor.

In any case, there will still be energy needed to be stored...for those with type 1, it's managed with injections but for those with type 2, this will go against any reversal efforts.

but that's the point - it causes hypo (lowers blood glucose levels), for those of us with a high glucose count (hyper) lowering is what we want and thus the use of alcohol will actually compliment (not go against) reversal efforts

indeed for those with type 1 (or type 2 on insulin or to a lesser extent, glycoside) are at risk of going hypo because of the insulin use

...and isn't any slowing down effect a good thing? - and the basic concept behind the use of incretin for type II

Back