52 From Baloo 23.

Nice start Roger, nicely composed.
Just looked up Looe Island, do you ever take the trip over

Looks like an interesting b&w conversion, but I see you have it linked to a couple of digital IR groups?

Nice start Roger, nicely composed.
Just looked up Looe Island, do you ever take the trip over
Only once about 40 years ago with a very old friend, we have decided to repeat the trip again this year when she comes down.

Nice area Roger, been to the Looe area many times.
I am just getting to know Looe, got some lovely photo opportunities I think and I have found a food hut that dishes up one of the best fruit cakes I have ever had right by the beach, sorted!:D

Looks like an interesting b&w conversion, but I see you have it linked to a couple of digital IR groups?
Yes it is an IR shot, All that seaweed is actually a dirty muddy brown colour! Still experimenting with IR and was quite surprised at this result.

Have to say I was surprised this was IR rather than a mono conversion. Nice composition.

Have to say I was surprised this was IR rather than a mono conversion. Nice composition.
Thank you , there will be plenty more IR shots this year!
A really attractive scene with all those foreground details and the island in the background, and interesting too to see the effect of IR on the vegetation. Good luck with your 52.
Thank you it is a cracking place to live near.

That's really well done. An absolute beauty of a song too, and good for the theme. Love the idea of the CD on the record player, the reflection on the CD and the detail in the head makes it.

Took a minute to figure it out but yeah - nice one :)

A really creative take on the theme Roger, well done.

That's really well done. An absolute beauty of a song too, and good for the theme. Love the idea of the CD on the record player, the reflection on the CD and the detail in the head makes it.

Took a minute to figure it out but yeah - nice one :)

a well thought out image (y)

A really creative take on the theme Roger, well done.

I like that (y) nice use of a CD trying to replace vinyl
Thanks folks for you kind words, here is a bit of trivia for you that makes it incomplete in a strange way, as most will know Unfinished Sympathy was released by Massive Attack and yet on the CD the group is called Massive no attack. The single was released just as the Gulf War started and the band took the temporary name Massive so as not to be banned on the radio!

Great creativity. Can you send some my way please, because I'm lacking it!:LOL:

Really great idea and a wonderful track. I feel an earworm coming on :)

Artificial.
This might look like a image of a river or stream but it is actually completely artificial being part of the Liskeard and Looe Union Canal which had fallen into disuse by 1882 and was only navigable by small boats when it officially closed in 1910.

Artificial by R Hillman, on Flickr

nicely framed by the bridge? opening and with the canal winding from bottom left to mid right well composed image

A lovely mono for the theme :)

I like the way you have used the bridge to frame it

A lovely composition and very well exposed given the conditions.

Love the framing, my type of picture.

Transparent. Been taking pictures of Canals since at least 1982!

Transparent. by R Hillman, on Flickr

Both really nice shots Roger.
Artificial: really like the b&w, it suits the image well
Transparent: That's very cool. I like the old time feel of the shot.

Good stuff :)

Good pair of canal shots, transparent was a great idea, must have been difficult to get the lighting right forit.

Always enjoy a photo from the 1960’s to 1980’s, how things have changed in my lieftime

nicely framed by the bridge? opening and with the canal winding from bottom left to mid right well composed image

A lovely mono for the theme :)

I like the way you have used the bridge to frame it

A lovely composition and very well exposed given the conditions.

Love the framing, my type of picture.

Both really nice shots Roger.
Artificial: really like the b&w, it suits the image well
Transparent: That's very cool. I like the old time feel of the shot.

All very nicely taken images Roger, I really do like the first shot as it is beautiful.

Good stuff :)
Thanks for visiting and commenting.

Good pair of canal shots, transparent was a great idea, must have been difficult to get the lighting right forit.

Always enjoy a photo from the 1960’s to 1980’s, how things have changed in my lieftime
Finding the slide viewer and getting it working was the hardest part. The original shot was taken with a Nikon FM and 50mm in 1982 I think its on the Bradford on Avon Canal, but I had that camera for well over 20 years and we travelled the world together. Got thousands of transparencies, must sort them one day.

Last edited:
Finding the slide viewer and getting it working was the hardest part. The original shot was taken with a Nikon FM and 50mm in 1982 I think its on the Bradford on Avon Canal, but I had that camera for well over 20 years and we travelled the world together. Got thousands of transparencies, must sort them one day.

Yes, I have many images, I too must sort them one day...and then again, maybe not.

I have a few pictures of the Liskeard/Looe 'canal', and of the railway down there. I cycle south of Liskeard quite a lot as it is so quiet, always seems to be out of the wind for some reason -- perhaps just a coincidence.

Really like transparent - the orignal shot of the narrowboats in the locks is a lovely image... looks very 70s... and showing it through the slide viewer was a great idea for the theme.

And artificial is a great B&W shot. leading line of the river, nicely framed by the bridge. Good detail and contrast throughout, even with the bright sky.

Last edited:
Back