weekly ams99 - 52 Challenge - Week 52 Water

Friendship, bang on theme Alan (y)
Lovely eye contact, composition and colour tones in there. Perfect, just perfect :D

Food, hmmm, guess they are food, but not grabbing me. WB looks fine but I'd prefer a white BG and a different composition, rather than them in a horizontal line.

Food, #2 much, much better. I'm almost salivating :) The red really pops and nice detail. I do like the reflections. Crit, well, just the specks on the FG...but they do prevent the tomato from appearing like it's floating.

Art...oppps just noticed I already commented :)

Cheers.

Week 48 - Sleek

Ive used this weeks theme to try and play with light again. As my new flash is still lost with UPS i lit from both ends and merged.

Struggling to understand why the tip isn't in focus tho'

Hi Alan

Nice low key image, nicely lit, but maybe the shaft of the dart could use a little light.
having had a look at it large i think the tip isn't out of focus as such,
with it being chrome the light reflecting off it is the cause.

did you try any other angles of it?

agree with allan.... could be a really cool shot, just needs to have the shaft more visible.. and that the tip is not OOF

Awesome timing catching this midflight too...;)

Hi Alan

Nice low key image, nicely lit, but maybe the shaft of the dart could use a little light.
having had a look at it large i think the tip isn't out of focus as such,
with it being chrome the light reflecting off it is the cause.

did you try any other angles of it?

Thanks Alan. Sadly ive been having a rough time over the last week so it was a bit rushed to get the job done.
At least ive had a refund off amazon so i can re-purchase my second flash........ from a different trader.

Hi Alan :)

Sooooory yet another I am behind on !!!

Food - I agree that the spacing and alignment needs a bit of work, Nice colours and good to see you thought about the different label styles... good even background

2 - Now that tomato is a cracker, definitely looks good enough to eat, great colour, lighting and background - no crit from me :clap:

Art - I think the ties on your hoodie need a little of attention, other than that super blacks, liking the halo around your head and the catchlights in your eyes... a damn good effort I think (y)

Friendship - Awwweeeee :)

Good focus on the eyes, a pleasing crop, again great catchlights, also liking the shine caught on the nose - a lovely pic :)

Sleek - Minimal crit as per Allan and Graham, liking your idea and the B&W

Hi Alan :)

Sooooory yet another I am behind on !!!

Food - I agree that the spacing and alignment needs a bit of work, Nice colours and good to see you thought about the different label styles... good even background

2 - Now that tomato is a cracker, definitely looks good enough to eat, great colour, lighting and background - no crit from me :clap:

Art - I think the ties on your hoodie need a little of attention, other than that super blacks, liking the halo around your head and the catchlights in your eyes... a damn good effort I think (y)

Friendship - Awwweeeee :)

Good focus on the eyes, a pleasing crop, again great catchlights, also liking the shine caught on the nose - a lovely pic :)

Sleek - Minimal crit as per Allan and Graham, liking your idea and the B&W

Thanks DK.

Evening Alan

No shoehorn required there , a perfect pet portrait of man's best friend...love the catch lights in both eye's , focus is spot on...I'd be framing that one :clap:

Sleek......can't really add to whats been said , good pp merging two images :)

Last edited:
Sorry to arrive late at your thread Alan, especially as I have nothing to add to the above critique.

For what it's worth I think this would be a good one for the re-shoot theme this week, while it's all still fresh in your mind. (y)

As has been mentioned above Alan, a little more light on the shaft and its bang on (y)

HI Alan

Nothing wrong with that really good star bursts (if thats the right word)
quite a striking image, works well (y)

Slow down just commented on the first one which I have to say is better to my eyes
2nd one you have done some different processing I take it.

Last edited:
HI Alan

Nothing wrong with that really good star bursts (if thats the right word)
quite a striking image, works well (y)

Slow down just commented on the first one which I have to say is better to my eyes
2nd one you have done some different processing I take it.

I used a cheapo cross gridded filter and held it over my lens. I have to say i wasnt particularly impressed though. For the second i twiddled with the sliders on the NEF file and made the blacks more black in order to get rid of the haze. I think i will have a reshoot later and try and play with some coloured light reflected onto a subject. This lighting business is fascinating stuff mind. As the saying goes....... if i don't try things i won't learn.

Cheers mate.

I feel like shoving light where the sun doesn't shine - if that were possible!

You'd probably need some sort of a reflector for that I think!

Think yourself luck you;re up-to-date, and not under any pressure to post. Sit back for a few days... but don;t give up mate!

I like the first for colour, the number of starbursts makes it much more interesting. Plenty colour there too. (y)

You'd probably need some sort of a reflector for that I think!

Think yourself luck you;re up-to-date, and not under any pressure to post. Sit back for a few days... but don;t give up mate!

I like the first for colour, the number of starbursts makes it much more interesting. Plenty colour there too. (y)

Cheers Graham.

Just got a tad frustrated at my inability to control coloured light onto a glass of water. Arghhhhhhhhh! :dummy:

I snooted the flash with my home made cereal box but just couldn't get the balance right. I either ended up with horrid highlights on the glass or when positioned from above too much light passing through the water onto the table background. Just a matter of practice i suppose.

Also, the only filter i have was green so the water looked like a revolting peppermint colour. Yuk!

Hopefully Santa will be delivering a second flash; backdrops; gels and some Yongnuo RF603s.
Ive checked the other half has ordered them!!

A bottle of Bushmills wouldn't go amiss either...... if she's reading :D

Sounds like a frustrating session Alan! - We all have them you know. :)

FWIW I really like No.1 - Probably no consolation!

Onward and Upward!

Week 50 - Fantasy

Ive been waiting 2 months for this baby and now its finally arrived. Unfortunately my wife has decided its for Christmas ....... i bought it in October!! Still only 2 more weeks to wait. I sneakily fired one off it today .......Holy Cow...... it should come with a welders mask!!

The writing looks a little out of focus (it could be my eyes) other than that a decent enough shot for a fairly difficult theme.

Hi Alan,
No longer a fantasy its arrived, thats a hell of a long wait, :puke:

as for the pic not really sure it conveys fantasy to me, but as with all these themes they can mean a multitude of things to all.
by the way the writing looks fine to me

Thanks Allan.

I mentioned in the 52 thread i have been completely uninspired of late and suggested i would be playing a joker. However, Brian suggested it could be something i have fantasized about as opposed to lots of PPing made up images. When my flash arrived i just thought a-ha! post and be damned as DK or Andy once said.

Two more to go. whoopee!

Now you are just being flashy! :LOL: Glad it finally arrived, you must have the patience of a saint to put it away for another couple of weeks!

Quite a nice pic, I like the light fall off on the "dark" side, gives it shape. Can't see any OOF writing though Marks eyes may be better than mine!

(y)

Hi Alan, looks good - think that a flash is pretty high on my want list too... opens up many more doors creatively.. But I really want to have the confidence in the camera first, before throwing something else into the mix.

Passable shot too, clear, sharp, good contrast. (y)

Hi Alan
sleek - all has been said on technique - just my view that it is an outstanding idea
Colour - I don't know why you are complaining :(:D #1 is spot on for the theme , very graphic and very colourful. Good crop
Fantasy - see where you are coming from and so a good choice. Looks clear to me too. Maybe it is because the two 'o's in Yongnuo are etched on the case in a different pattern to the other letters that it gives an impression of oof:thinking:

Hi Alan, looks good - think that a flash is pretty high on my want list too... opens up many more doors creatively.. But I really want to have the confidence in the camera first, before throwing something else into the mix.

Passable shot too, clear, sharp, good contrast. (y)

That really made me laugh. You want confidence in your camera!! With the stunning images you produce..... Holey Moley!

Hi Alan
sleek - all has been said on technique - just my view that it is an outstanding idea
Colour - I don't know why you are complaining :(:D #1 is spot on for the theme , very graphic and very colourful. Good crop
Fantasy - see where you are coming from and so a good choice. Looks clear to me too. Maybe it is because the two 'o's in Yongnuo are etched on the case in a different pattern to the other letters that it gives an impression of oof:thinking:

Cheers Alan. How many of us are there? Blimey!

That really made me laugh. You want confidence in your camera!! With the stunning images you produce..... Holey Moley!

Thanks Alan, but I wouldn't quite go that far... but I am happy with what I can do with what I have at the moment, but adding in off camera flash, without knowing the basics has to be a recipe for disaster and frustration.

Quick off the mark there Alan. I like it. Looks like a summer day, you must be having better weather than us. I like "geometric" abstracts and this is a fine example. (y)

Back