Bargain 60D

Now I know why we used to get these in our ration packs :LOL:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26966782@N00/523831811/

There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why?... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Haha how DID you get hold of that? Didn't realise such things existed.

Well to be honest I do think this was far too good to be true - you do get things for sale that pop up and are amazing deals but this one stank of a mistake.

All they will say is that it was a clerical error.
No offence but are you guys so naive as to really believe this was a genuine offer, seriously?

Andy

No but I also remember Currys last year making an error on their Ebay site and reducing all stock by about 60%. Same thing was said then but I was happy enough when I received a brand new Pentax K-7 and 100mm macro lens for less than £400 (retail then was approx £1200 for the two).

You sometimess have to take a punt in life .. what does it cost at the end of the day?

It does make me smile when people start spouting consumer law everytime one of these mistakes doesn't come off though.

Last edited:
No but I also remember Currys last year making an error on their Ebay site and reducing all stock by about 60%. Same thing was said then but I was happy enough when I received a brand new Pentax K-7 and 100mm macro lens for less than £400 (retail then was approx £1200 for the two).

You sometimess have to take a punt in life .. what does it cost at the end of the day?

It does make me smile when people start spouting consumer law everytime one of these mistakes doesn't come off though.

I think Keebsuk meant more in regards to the complaining rather than having a go. Of course you give it a shot, but common sense should have made you realise it was an error - you just try it and hope you come out on the right side of it, but if you don't, oh well, you haven't lost anything.

Mine says: 1 x Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera (Inc EF-S 17-55mm IS Lens Kit) (At warehouse - dispatching soon)

Anyone that has had theirs cancelled got that far?

Quite a few earlier in the post said that.
You might just slip throught the net.......................I doubt it but you just never know

spike

Quite a few earlier in the post said that.
You might just slip throught the net.......................I doubt it but you just never know

spike

Yes, just got my call from Tesco Direct. It will be advertised again tomorrow - with the correct price.:thumbsdown:

Just had the call from Tesco to say the order has been cancelled due to a pricing error.

I think we all knew it was too good to be true.

is it still priced incorrectly?

I would have expected the price to be changed ASAP and then to start contacting people, not the otehr way around, otherwise the list of purchasers will be growing quicker than you can contact them all and cancel the order

So would I and have contacted customer services and their electrical contact number (which was undeliverable!!!)

Its getting Tesco a lot of attention so maybe someone somewhere thinks afew more hours is a good thing

Had my order cancelled by email. No explanation or phone call here.
Well, time to get back on the hunt for a 17-55 :D

There is someone in classified who is selling this setup, but appear to be having difficulty with the buyer - they may split.

i love those so high on the moral high ground they cant see the wood for the trees even if the forest is burning...

when i got my call i was told it will take up to 5 days to be refunded, thats a six day period someone is earning money on my money.
Not to mention the fact the "wrongly" advertised item has been up for nearly 72 hours now drawing in tescos a nice large boost in website traffic and backlink advertising from sites like this and the many other sites, if a smaller company where to advertise goods knowingly do you think they would get away as easily?

If a website popped up offering £199 wedding photos, but despite ordering they cancelled after sitting on the money for five days but kept advertising it, how long would that last i wonder.. yet its Tesco, they make mistakes must be ok...

However, I've put in a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority http://www.asa.org.uk/

Well I've filled in the ASA online form too....made me feel better if nothing else but if you all did it they might get a good *******ing if nothing else!

Tell you what though - the Forum's never been so hot for a while...so well done Tesco.....:LOL:

Well I've filled in the ASA online form too....made me feel better if nothing else but if you all did it they might get a good *******ing if nothing else!

Tell you what though - the Forum's never been so hot for a while...so well done Tesco.....:LOL:

Me too, complete with screenshot, sadly I did think at the end of this that the only one who will care is the poor sod that chose the product from a massive list and may now get fired!

We certainly won't get a thing - if they're feeling really generous we may get a "clerical errors happen - live with it now P**S OFF"

Here's one deal Tesco have honoured

GF_1549.JPG

Last edited:
You know if I could really be bothered I would place the order again :D

Canon did okay though, I did enough proper research to still be considering the 60D

Last edited:
Well I enjoyed the banter yesterday,.....especially the Catholic Priest episode!

isn't there a clause in consumer law about once an incorrect price is acknowledged it has to stop being advertised

Tesco have advised me that there was a pricing error and have cancelled my order.

If I were to order again after Tesco have informed me would they now be required to sell the item at that price seeing as they have had the opportunity to correct the price?

Hmn, good question

Sadly they have a get out - advertisements are classed as 'offers to treat' not a binding contract for sale as such they do not have to sell us anything.

I suspect there is a time in which to correct this - that said they can advertise this as much as they want, they are under no obligation to sell at all.

If I can track down the specific law I will quote it here.

I think consumer law is there to give the buyer the impression they are protected...

Sadly here we go:

Pricing and your rights
The price of any item you buy should be clearly priced. If an item has been wrongly priced by mistake, you don’t have the right to buy it at that price. For example if a coat is priced at £29, but is actually £299 when you get to the till.
If you are unhappy with the correct price, you don’t have to buy the item.

From Direct.Gov.UK

So thats an end to that - shock win for the big corp... :rules:

I just orderd a Nikon D90 body, got the £50 off and my delivery date is: For delivery on Friday 31st December 9999 between 11:59pm -11:59pm

It's coming direct from their supplier. But I got a free Vivanco cleaning kit (for what it's worth) and that will be delivered on Wed.

Tesco's state delivery of the body is within the next 14 days. Does anyone know if I get the Nikon 2 year guarantee or a 1 tear Tesco version

that said they can advertise this as much as they want, they are under no obligation to sell at all

I suspect the ASA would disagree on this point.

Bottom line is Tesco made a mistake but now they are profiting on the mistake by generating traffic to their website for an advert they know they will not honour

I had an interesting chat with Trading standards, they were miffed that despite acknowledging incorrect price they are still selling, and were of the opinion that as credit cards were used a contract may have been entered into (dont shoot the messenger im quoting what trading standards said). Something along the lines of because had been made by card they had entered into a contract to supply, so were past the stage of being able to refuse to sell.

They were also less than impressed about the 5 day refund policy i was quoted

Last edited:
Sure no one really wanted a lens that sucks up more dust than a dyson or a plastic camera that would probably break if you gripped it too hard

Bet you all feel much better about it now

Back