weekly Delta Skies 2014 TP52 - Week 51 Extravagant & Week 52 Support (that's 2014 done)

So this is what you were up to when you sneeked out of the house the other morning!!:confused::) A lovely shot Peter and good use of silver efix. As others have said your attention to detail is suburb even if it does wind me up sometimes!!:p:D

Hi Peter, just to echo what colin and Graham have said above (y)
The long exposure has really added a sense of drama to the scene, the processing of which has only added to that feeling.
Great work Peter
Thanks Iain

Oo yeah I like that Peter, silver efex has done you proud with the B&W conversion. Did you use an ND filter for this shot to get the sky as it is or was it simply just the long exposure?
Thank Simon. The sky was shot using a Lee 10 stop filter

Hi, nice step pic and nice to see some BG interest not just some steps, great conversion and the long exposure add to it too
whats not to like :clap:
Thanks Allan
Thanks Mark

really like this Peter, brill composition incorporating so other interest other than just the steps. The movement in the sky and the mono conversion give a nice gritty feel. Just one little thing, is it me or is the sky a little noisy? it may well be my monitor! other than that, very good(y)
Thanks Adam. Yes I'd agree the sky is noisier than I would have liked. I tried a number of tactics to improve it but I ended up leaving it as it was.

Step - excellent work, lovely processing, superb detail. Composition is bang on no crit needed for this image.
Thanks Mandy

Damn Peter - Thats very nice, love the effect on the sky with the long exposure, loads of detail, lovely light and composition etc. etc... No Crit from me (y)
Thanks Dean

So this is what you were up to when you sneeked out of the house the other morning!!:confused::) A lovely shot Peter and good use of silver efix. As others have said your attention to detail is suburb even if it does wind me up sometimes!!:p:D
Thanks Sarah. Is it attention to detail or just OCD? BTW I didn't "sneek out". I just left the house while you were fast asleep :sleep:

Week 14 - Nature

Parsley Seed Head

This week's theme was quite a wide one for interpretation but I just wanted something simple. After a few failed shots of a Hellebore flower I turned to a dried parsley seed head taken from our herb window box. To be fair Sarah had taken it to use for a photo for herself although I didn't know that at the time :exit:
This is actually four images of the seed head stacked in PS to ensure all the head stayed in focus but keeping the stalk oof. Finally I added a texture to add a little interest to the plain background.

Hi, Peter, the first thing I thought of was was this linky

Stacking if the way forward and I'm partial to a bit of it.

Good detail, and the textured BG works well.

No real city...but I can't help wondering what it would look like if the stalk was in focus. Not sure whether it would distract from the seed heads :thinking:

Cheers.

It's a seed-head and well-taken but in this case I'm afraid the subject matter this time does little for me. Sorry Peter.

super detail and interest in the dried end bits.

Can't see any flaws from the stacking, and I agree having the stalk going OOF lends realism to it.

Hi, Peter, the first thing I thought of was was this linky

Stacking if the way forward and I'm partial to a bit of it.

Good detail, and the textured BG works well.

No real city...but I can't help wondering what it would look like if the stalk was in focus. Not sure whether it would distract from the seed heads :thinking:

Cheers.
Cheers Andy. I know you've done quite a bit of stacking but although I've tested staking a couple of times I've never taken and processing some stacked shots with view to publishing them. I'm just in awe of how PS works out automatically which bits to mask on which layer.

It's a seed-head and well-taken but in this case I'm afraid the subject matter this time does little for me. Sorry Peter.
No problem Martin. Thanks for looking.

super detail and interest in the dried end bits.

Can't see any flaws from the stacking, and I agree having the stalk going OOF lends realism to it.
Thanks Graham. I first wondered whether not to include the stalk at all as if I was looking straight down but felt it needed something to provide some context hence the OOF approach.

Hi Peter, I think you've done a really good job of stacking this. The textured background works well for me too. I agree the stalk being off adds depth to the image. good job!

Hi Peter, nice job on the stacking but as an object not doing it really for me

I'm another one Peter that's never tried, or knows how to, stack images.:thinking:..... but the detail looks good (y)

HI Peter

really must have a try at this focus stacking malarkey , love the effect you've achieved here , The stalk being oof works I think & everything looks sharp where it should be :clap: The bg I'm still debating....plain but not boring but just doesn't grab me.....can't put my finger on why though :thinking:

Sorry , missed your Step shot , cracking conversion , good angle , sharper than a sharp thing ....yeah , like it :)

Last edited:
a bit late commenting I know, but just a quick one to say I love the colours on your swirl shot, although perhaps I might prefer a greater DoF am guessing at the distance this was going to be difficult to achieve.
nice one :)

Hi Peter

Step - Clean, clear and simple. Excellent pov . A spooky sky which is emphasised by the processing. Altogether a high quality shot(y)

Nature - Good use of the stacking technique, which to me is a part of the purpose of the Challenge - altho I have only just done a vignette :ROFLMAO: Like the mottled b/g altho maybe a little dark. I think that i would prefer the stalk to be more in focus

Hi Peter, as an exercise in stacking you've done well here, all the necessary parts work. The oof stalk does, I agree add depth to the scene.
I do find the image a little lacking in interest I'm afraid. Its a little too central in composition I feel. Sorry for the negativity :(

I like the stalk going off out of focus, gives the image a little depth.
Thanks Mark

Hi Peter,
Nature...A nice simple seed head, I think it needs the stalk to give a bit of realism, i like the bg too (y)
Thanks Judi

Steps is fantastic the detail you have got cant fault it

Nature - again a great image never tried stacking ( or understand it ) :)
Cheers Craig. Stacking is definitely worth trying

Hi Peter, I think you've done a really good job of stacking this. The textured background works well for me too. I agree the stalk being off adds depth to the image. good job!
Thanks Adam

Hi Peter, nice job on the stacking but as an object not doing it really for me
Thanks Allan. No problem about you not liking the subject.

I'm another one Peter that's never tried, or knows how to, stack images.:thinking:..... but the detail looks good (y)
Cheers Phil. Just google stacking and you'll find more links than you can shake photoshop at. As ever there's some good ones and not so good ones. I can't remember which one I used though.

HI Peter

really must have a try at this focus stacking malarkey , love the effect you've achieved here , The stalk being oof works I think & everything looks sharp where it should be :clap: The bg I'm still debating....plain but not boring but just doesn't grab me.....can't put my finger on why though :thinking:

Sorry , missed your Step shot , cracking conversion , good angle , sharper than a sharp thing ....yeah , like it :)
Thanks Lynne. I did throw a few textures at the parsley seed head and didn't really settle properly.

Nature - fits the theme, composition is good. But I don't like the background as the subject looks a little lost in it.
Thanks Mandy

a bit late commenting I know, but just a quick one to say I love the colours on your swirl shot, although perhaps I might prefer a greater DoF am guessing at the distance this was going to be difficult to achieve.
nice one :)
Cheers Chris

Hi Peter

Step - Clean, clear and simple. Excellent pov . A spooky sky which is emphasised by the processing. Altogether a high quality shot(y)

Nature - Good use of the stacking technique, which to me is a part of the purpose of the Challenge - altho I have only just done a vignette :ROFLMAO: Like the mottled b/g altho maybe a little dark. I think that i would prefer the stalk to be more in focus
Thanks for the feedback Alan.

Hi Peter :)

Nature - Nicely done, I like how you have stacked this and kept the stalk oof, crit, well all I can think of is shame on you stealing Sarah's prop ;) - Great detail and the background goes very nicely too, nice one :)
Thanks Dean. Looks like I got away with stealing it. She started talking to me again at least by the end of the week :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Hi Peter, as an exercise in stacking you've done well here, all the necessary parts work. The oof stalk does, I agree add depth to the scene.
I do find the image a little lacking in interest I'm afraid. Its a little too central in composition I feel. Sorry for the negativity :(
Not negative at all Iain. All feedback is gratefully received. It's always useful to hear other people's views.

Week 15 - Action

Lela with Ball by Delta Skies, on Flickr

This was taken a few weeks ago on the beach at Prestatyn and is pretty close to being straight out of camera. What you can't see is a focus marker in the sand just out of picture to help guide me for when to shoot as she ran past towards me. I took 100+ photos and got a handful sharp but then again I was trying for a small DoF again - these Springers just run too quickly :rolleyes:

Action - Thats the trouble with going for a small DoF Peter, I always have the same problem, am trying different Auto Focus modes currently, sticking to AI Servo (Constant focus on moving objects) just playing about with the 6 'Case' modes... not much success though so far :thinking:...

Sorry - back to your photo, I think this was worth the time and effort Peter, I love the DoF, there is excellent detail around his/her face, the sand fades out beautifully too, I really can't fault it mate (y)

Great action shot Peter. Nice detail and expression in the eyes and I love the way her ears are flopping around as she runs.

perfect subject for action Peter, nicve amount of motion blur on the feet and tail, good focus on the eyes and nothing chopped off!

Hard to say for sure due to the small area (and teh small size) I'm looking at, but possible oversharpening around the nose maybe?? (or maybe not?)

Hi, Peter, Action, looks like it was photographed with decent light and I like the warm tones. Low POV, good detail with slight movement.

I can offer no real crit on this one....well, maybe a lolloping tongue sticking out ;)

Cheers.

Thought I'd seem this one before tbh..... Good capture, I think I'd be tempted to crop quite close on the face just leaving the tail in view.....maybe that would not have suited the theme so well though so don't mind me!

Nice action shot of your dog. Fits the frame nicely and also the theme.
Thanks Simon

Action - Thats the trouble with going for a small DoF Peter, I always have the same problem, am trying different Auto Focus modes currently, sticking to AI Servo (Constant focus on moving objects) just playing about with the 6 'Case' modes... not much success though so far :thinking:...

Sorry - back to your photo, I think this was worth the time and effort Peter, I love the DoF, there is excellent detail around his/her face, the sand fades out beautifully too, I really can't fault it mate (y)
Many thanks Dean

Great action shot Peter. Nice detail and expression in the eyes and I love the way her ears are flopping around as she runs.
Thanks Elaine

perfect subject for action Peter, nicve amount of motion blur on the feet and tail, good focus on the eyes and nothing chopped off!

Hard to say for sure due to the small area (and teh small size) I'm looking at, but possible oversharpening around the nose maybe?? (or maybe not?)
Cheers Graham. I used my standard settings for sharpening so I think it must be all the sand on her nose that makes it look that way.

Hi, Peter, Action, looks like it was photographed with decent light and I like the warm tones. Low POV, good detail with slight movement.

I can offer no real crit on this one....well, maybe a lolloping tongue sticking out ;)

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. This was taken in the evening running towards the light hence the warm tones.

Hi Peter,
Action.. Beautiful action there, lovely sparkle in her eyes, Springers never stop do they and their tails go 50 to the dozen well caught (y)
Thanks Judi

Hi Peter ...super shot there, I think she only has one foot on the ground ..... you've captures the speed and movement perfectly ....excellent choice for the theme.
Thanks Susie

Action super shot very fitting for the theme i like it alot, I am also so sorry to hear off your recent sad news.
Many thanks for your kind words Mandy

Thought I'd seem this one before tbh..... Good capture, I think I'd be tempted to crop quite close on the face just leaving the tail in view.....maybe that would not have suited the theme so well though so don't mind me!
Thanks Chris. The photo was a new one but you might have seen a similar one (below) I posted a couple of weeks before. Same dog but with a stick rather than a ball.
Retrieving the Stick by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Cracking shot, love the eye contact.
Cheers Mark

Week 16 - Mono

Clarence Dock, Mono by Delta Skies, on Flickr

I wanted the evening version of this one but decided to take advantage of the windy conditions to get some movement in the sky. It's two images at f11 both through a Lee 10 stop filter with one at 8 seconds and one at 15 seconds. Then converted using Silver Efex Pro.

Interestingly I entered into a "discussion" with one of the security chaps as I was getting the tripod out of the car. He was insisting I couldn't take any photos there if I was a Pro or going to make any money out of it. I pointed out that as I was on a public road at the time there was nothing he could do even if I was. I don't think he really got it but we parted amicably and I got my photo.

Back