weekly DK's 52 in 2014 - Wk's 52 'Support' Added - AND FINISHED :)

Twisted. All on theme but I'd prefer them photographed straight on, and possibly a little closer.

Fresh #1, good light and colour...wing is slightly OOF :)

Good show.

Cheers.

Twisted- 1st two I like, I'm a little undecided between them but think I prefer the 1st being in colour, composition and a bit more interest (y)....but not a lover of the bg.
Thanks Phil :)

Yeah background not most exciting, had a choice wall or fence... done one of each :D

Fresh- prefer the wider crop on the 2nd but prefer the bee and the flower in the first, bee seems a bit sharper, good dof, well captured (y)
Cheers again Phil :)

I agree, the bee on the first is the best focus and due top the portrait crop needs to be viewed large to appreciate, I think the second bee is focused on the flowers the more I look at it - Doh :)

Hi Judi :)

Twisted... I have seen you do much better than this but i'll go for no2
Thanks Judi, appreciate the honesty :)
Fresh... No 1 is the one for me I like the position of the bee, and the portrait crop works well for me :) your fresh flower Rhododendron is lovely the crop is good too(y)
Thanks again Judi - was hoping somebody would like the flower :)

Hello :wave: missed a few...
Hey Andy :)

Steps #3 for me. Interesting perspective and I like the converging lines. Think I'd like a crop and loose the sky.
Thanks Andy :)

I did consider this, but after experimenting, decided that I had to lose a stair landing or have a slither of sky to the RH side, decided to increase the sky to include the LH building :)

Action #1 for me. Well captured, nice colours and I like the DOF. Pity about the fence but I suspect climbing over was frowned upon :)
Hahaaa yes mate, it certainly would be frowned upon, players only in that area :D

Monos, some nice ones there but #3 for me. Greater vantage point, detail and good conversion. Look a little on the tilt.
Cheers :)

I think it is on the wonk yes, I need to learn in PS how to alter stuff, as the main of the shot is on the wonk, I lined up the tallest building, as when the rest looked ok that looked like it was going to fall over :D

BRB, have to get the the gym :eek:

Cheers.
the GYM :jawdrop:

Twisted. All on theme but I'd prefer them photographed straight on, and possibly a little closer.

Fresh #1, good light and colour...wing is slightly OOF :)

Good show.

Cheers.
Thanks for popping back mate, didn't even think of doing them straight on lol :thinking:

Hi Dean,
Of your Twisted photos, it's number 2 for me by a mile - I think it's the composition and colour together that just make it stand out above the others.

I love the last one of the fresh - it's very luscious and full of detail.
The first bee shot is very cool, great macro shot though it looks better on my phone directly on flickr but that could have been a different shot? It could be the screen on this notebook pc though.

Hi Dean,
Of your Twisted photos, it's number 2 for me by a mile - I think it's the composition and colour together that just make it stand out above the others.
Cheers Simon :)

I love the last one of the fresh - it's very luscious and full of detail.

I still don't think it does the flowers justice, the ends of the thingy bits looks a shiny silver in the sun, just cant seem to reproduce this on screen :thinking:

The first bee shot is very cool, great macro shot though it looks better on my phone directly on flickr but that could have been a different shot? It could be the screen on this notebook pc though.
Thanks again :)

It could be one of the others I have on Flickr, I put 3 or 4 up in the end... as you do :D

twisted... not much going on there - think you got the best you could have hoped for. Tick in the box though ::)

the drops on the flower dont really pop out that much, but I love the bees, can;t say I've seen any yet this year??

Of thiose I prefer the first - compositionally works better with less distractions in the BG.

Any cchance of just one from you one of these weeks....:naughty:

Hi DK
Twisted - #1 seems perfectly fine to me. God strong diags, nice tones and some detail in the ironwork. The b/g doesn't disturb me, it is of complementary colour and the verticals match the ironwork. Good dof too.
Fresh - for me #2 as altho i like the comp in #1, the flower seems to blurry to my eyes. #2 has good sharpness and good close contact.
#3 looks a bit overbright for my taste

Hi DK, going with the flow first bee for me too, i find insects quite difficult to capture in strong light they are reflective little bug..gers

twisted... not much going on there - think you got the best you could have hoped for. Tick in the box though ::)
Yay !!!! my thinking too mate, Thanks :)

I have the theme marked on the sheet for a re-shoot for me :)

the drops on the flower dont really pop out that much, but I love the bees, can;t say I've seen any yet this year??
Needed to be larger drops you think mate ??

Bee's... got LOADS in this year already, put many more plants/shrubs/flowers in this year, insect heaven, hoping for a few more Dragonfly's too :)

Of thiose I prefer the first - compositionally works better with less distractions in the BG.
Thanks mate :)

Any cchance of just one from you one of these weeks....:naughty:
Definitely not now mate :LOL:

Okay... I'll pick one and put more up on Flickr - Maybe :bitenails:

Hi DK
Twisted - #1 seems perfectly fine to me. God strong diags, nice tones and some detail in the ironwork. The b/g doesn't disturb me, it is of complementary colour and the verticals match the ironwork. Good dof too.
Thanks Alan, not the most exciting of shaots as said, but a bit of effort went into them that;s for sure :)

Well apart from the 'snap shot' 3rd... have no idea why I put that up, must have been Vodka Eye's :D

Fresh - for me #2 as altho i like the comp in #1, the flower seems to blurry to my eyes. #2 has good sharpness and good close contact.
#3 looks a bit overbright for my taste
Great feedback again - Many Thanks :)

Hi DK, going with the flow first bee for me too, i find insects quite difficult to capture in strong light they are reflective little bug..gers
Hahaaaa aren't they just LOL

Twisted #3 for me. I prefer the starker contrast between the plain dark shapes and white background.

Fresh #2, just because the bee looks more "bumbly" if you know what I mean - all kind of fat and fluffy :)

Needed to be larger drops you think mate ??

TBH I was only looking through quickly, but I didn;t really notice the drops till I read your title..... so possibly bigger might help......

looking again, possibly also a bit confusing as to where the intended focus point / subject is, as in is it the redder one to the right, or the stamen of the pink one on the left, for me it's more the stamen that are the interest, with the shadows curving out below them.

the fact there are 3 is pleasing too, and I might favour a closer crop into this are. To give summat like this.... >>>>> linky <<<<<<

Hi DK ....time for me to catch up now :) twisted, I much prefer the first one, I think the colour adds lots more texture and interest to it with the rustiness and peeling paint.
Fresh.... definitely the second one for me,.I much prefer the angle of the bee ...and lots of nice detail in the flower too.

I'd say the first one for twisted for the colour and texture in the gate, not that keen on the bg though, little bit distracting. I'd say the first for fresh too. The bee fills quite a bit of the frame and is sharp so very well done for that because it couldn't have been easy!

Bloody hell mate you have done some sort of catch up there some really nice images in there well done - I'm starting to fall behind slightly on comments and posting ( its the catch up ones that always gets me ) but with a week off week next week and the only plan I have is to walk the dog and take the camera and catch up with comments :)

Twisted #3 for me. I prefer the starker contrast between the plain dark shapes and white background.

Fresh #2, just because the bee looks more "bumbly" if you know what I mean - all kind of fat and fluffy :)
Thanks Elaine :)

TBH I was only looking through quickly, but I didn;t really notice the drops till I read your title..... so possibly bigger might help......
Ahhhh :)

looking again, possibly also a bit confusing as to where the intended focus point / subject is, as in is it the redder one to the right, or the stamen of the pink one on the left, for me it's more the stamen that are the interest, with the shadows curving out below them.

the fact there are 3 is pleasing too, and I might favour a closer crop into this are. To give summat like this.... >>>>> linky <<<<<<
I see what you mean Graham... I think your right, the tighter crop, one area of interest :)

Hi DK ....time for me to catch up now :) twisted, I much prefer the first one, I think the colour adds lots more texture and interest to it with the rustiness and peeling paint.
Thanks Susie :)
Fresh.... definitely the second one for me,.I much prefer the angle of the bee ...and lots of nice detail in the flower too.
Thanks again :)

Twisted #2 and fresh #3

I'm not sure why but the bee shots don't do anything for me at all. I like the water droplets and the vividness of the last flower pic though.
Thanks... and no problem Chris, appreciate your opinion all the same :)

I'd say the first one for twisted for the colour and texture in the gate, not that keen on the bg though, little bit distracting. I'd say the first for fresh too. The bee fills quite a bit of the frame and is sharp so very well done for that because it couldn't have been easy!
Thanks Adam... Twisted will certainly be a re-shoot for me :)

Hey DK. I adore Steps 2; great rhythm and pattern. The mono with the avenue in the part looks like a print :)
Cheers Tony (y)

Hi DK liking shape but you need to look at the BG a little more there are some very strange marks on the left edge half way up and to the right of the giraffe.
small point should he not be looking the other way into the space :thinking:

I posted as you posted your shape. Really like that one, the negative space is really working and b+w was a good choice.I just onder if it would be even better with a little more space round its legs/feet?
Ahahaaaa don't you just hate it when that happens !!!

Hmmm not sure on the feet... there is LOTS of legs left below that :D

Hi DK liking shape but you need to look at the BG a little more there are some very strange marks on the left edge half way up and to the right of the giraffe.
Really !!! can't see it on my monitor, will look again - Thanks :)

small point should he not be looking the other way into the space :thinking:
Oh Crap... good point :banghead:

Maybe it's trying to escape :D

All the point I was going or sky: BG, no visible feet and him looking out if the frame have been mentioned, bit I have to say I'd like one of them.

So, no more from you this week...:)

Cheers.

Well its made mi laugh anyways DK :D (y)......and there's even more legs :LOL: I really like it, nice clean bg in 2nd image (y), did it need turning round?......I'm not sure........:thinking:...leaving the space instead of looking into might have worked for me with this shot :)

Hi. Nice legs :)
Couldn't get link to work from photo only page. Once I'd found your page seems everyone else had made the points I was going to :-\
Second version much better with clean background but I also didn't mind which way he was facing. Facing to the left made him look even more aloof if that's possible for someone with 6ft tall legs!

Ah sounds like it needs photographing at a distance then to get all the length in.
Yes mate id does... I took a few at a distance, but for me it doesn't have the same feel when the whole of it is in view :)

Well its made mi laugh anyways DK :D (y)
Good :D

......and there's even more legs :LOL:
That there is !!!

I really like it, nice clean bg in 2nd image (y)
Thanks Phil :)

did it need turning round?......I'm not sure........:thinking:
Well... I thought it was alright until somebody mentioned it, then It just looked odd after that :banghead:...

leaving the space instead of looking into might have worked for me with this shot :)
Cool - Thanks mate :)

Hi. Nice legs :)
Why thank you kind lady :D

Couldn't get link to work from photo only page.
Ooooo I'll check that out... just checked and it worked for me :thinking:

Once I'd found your page seems everyone else had made the points I was going to :-\
Aint that typical :LOL:

Second version much better with clean background but I also didn't mind which way he was facing. Facing to the left made him look even more aloof if that's possible for someone with 6ft tall legs!
Ahhhhhhhhh maybe I'll leave as original then... just edit out the background (Can see it when opened in PS6)

Last edited:
Oh, I like that! Second orientation is definitely the better of the two and I like the way the legs seem to be melting down off the bottom on the page (y)

Oh, I like that! Second orientation is definitely the better of the two and I like the way the legs seem to be melting down off the bottom on the page (y)
YAY !!!!! thanks Elaine... somebody who doesn't need to see feet :D

HI Dk

Shape - think Allan got eyes of a hawk I could not see any of the things he mentioned :( the only difference I can see in pic 2 is the way its facing.

I quite like them both :)
Hahaaa Cheers Craig :)

Neither could I until I opened it in Photoshop... guess I need my monitor calibrating :)

Hi Dean twisted - I have to agree with other comments 2nd image looks better but not your best effort.

Fresh - three very good images I am struggling to choose between them.

Shape - a nice simple image very fitting for the theme well done.

Last edited:
Shape: Cant fault it. Nice stark mono like effect with enough highlight and detail in the face to contrast the almost silhouetted body. THe approach here to highlight the form / shape of the subject is a great idea !(y)

works for me, enough information in the shape to convey the subject without needed any more detail than that.

I'd like to say I don;t have a preference of the two edits.... but i have to say I prefer the second. :)

Well you've proven you can pick one shot, so feel free to resume normal service next week. (y)

Back