weekly DK's 52 in 2014 - Wk's 52 'Support' Added - AND FINISHED :)

Hi DK,
Linear i like the silhouette but feel it needs a slight crop to the right hand side :thinking:
Skill, my favourite of the bunch, nice toothy smile certainly a lot of skill needed to put it back to its former glory
Half, another good shot for the theme, not sure the horizon is straight though it could be my wonky eyes
Architecture the second one for me, the first one is a little lost
nice catch up (y)

Re shoot of line/linear I love the composition very fitting for the theme, I like the silhouette nicely done.

Skill - yes I can see that will take a Herculean amount of skill to restore to it's former glory, nice find for the theme.

Half - lovely find I like the colours and tones in the image, fits the theme for me.

Architectural - both good images I find however the second image the building is more interesting to me.

Skill - I saw this on the main thread before I saw your comments and my first thought was that'll take an awful lot of skill to get it back in the water - so we're obviously thinking along the same lines! Great capture and some nice detail in the worse for wear hull. Re your Pixar comment - yes it somehow puts me in mind of Mater from Cars!
Thanks Elaine :)

Glad i'm not the only one seeing it :LOL:

Half - I would have called it half cut, thinking it was barley (barley = beer?) but a very pleasing composition and colour contrast.
DAMN !!! what a great idea :clap:

Architecture - first shot is more of a classic seaside pier with all the amusement arcades, but the second one definitely has superior architectural attributes. Two good shots.
Many thanks again Elaine :)

Hi DK
Rich - #1 is good comp but surface of tea looks a bit odd. Good colour .
#2 is a bit ordinary.
#3 I like a lot partic the comp, crop and colour/detail.
#4 also has good attributes of comp and colour and i like the detail in the hand, but the blue nail varnish jars for me (and i apologise to the model:))
Skill - I can see the connection to the theme but still a bit of a leap to get there:rolleyes: B/g is a bit distracting but like the angle and detail in the boat
Half - good capture. Some very nice tones - very redolent of shredded wheat/weetabix ads. horizon a bit bright:thinking:
Architecture - #1 looks a bit flat and too many adverts to appreciate any architecture. #2 much better - like the detail and the angle of shot.

Quite a few caught up there Dean... well done!
Cheers Paul :)

Now for the challenge of keeping up again lol... no holidays planned so fingers crossed

Wk 28 - Re-Shoot 'Line/Linear'
Technically good silhouette shot, but not enough interest for me in the sky. A sunset/sunrise would have been a lot stronger for me, here. Well taken though and no other crit. Sorry for being harsh re: the sky!
Thanks Paul :)

You aint wrong mate, was a crap day for skyy's... seems I was so far behind I had to go with what i could, a sunset would have been idel :)

Wk 28 - Re-Shoot 'Line/Linear' #2 (play-around)
I like this, although it's a self-confessed muckaround. Good effect, on theme and different.
Cheers :D

Wk 29 - it will take a lot of 'Skill' to get this back to it's prime
Love the detail and texture on the boat. Well exposed and good DOF choice to capture the full detail on the boat. Not sure about the background (not much you could have done, I guess) and have you painted on a bit of negative clarity? If so, I think you missed a patch... ;) Oh, and can I borrow the crowbar again now you've finished with it? :exit:
hahaaaaa thanks :D

And in answer to your questions, Yes you can borrow the crowbar :LOL:

And yes I did lower the clarity in a couple of places, other angles included many other unwanted items, hoped this would take your eye off them a tad - didn't realise I had missed a bit :bang: :D

Wk 30 - this crop is 'Half' harvested
Absolutely love this. Detail, colour, focus, exposure all totally spot on. On theme nicely for me - a different take but really does fit. My favourite of these 6 shots. I think you've caught the tiniest bit of movement on the wheat, which is just perfect. :clap:
Wow thanks Paul... it was a tad windy to say the least :)

Wk 31 - Seaside 'Architecture'
Definitely pops - good technical take but can't say it hugely excites me. It might be the flat-on view...
I think you would have to be a Pier Nerd to get excited with this one :)

Wk 31 - Seaside 'Architecture' #2
Corner-on definitely benefits this shot. Think you might have overdone the brushed-on/grad saturation & darkening on the sky in the corners... Nice shot and my favourite of these two. Sufficiently on theme without being "wow, that's architecture"...
Thanks mate, think you are right with the grads, real crap sky again so put on two diagonal grads and reduced Exposure & Contrast, increased saturation and upped the blue, I tried a straight grad first but it messed with the building too much - Appreciate the descent feedback (y)

Architecture - I like both shots possibly no 2 is my favourite but hard to choose. Looks like there is a slight distortion/perspective issue on the towers in no2 because to the angle you have had to shoot at. But good composition and nice sharp image.

Hi Dk

Skill - excellent detail and textures on the boat and certainly on theme a very skillful person needed there.

Half - again mate great detail, the colours are wonderful another really nice image

Architecture - not to sure on these they don't shout Architecture but I guess they are, think I prefer the 2nd image

Hi DK,
Linear i like the silhouette but feel it needs a slight crop to the right hand side :thinking:
Hi Allan :)

Hmmmm yeah I think you may have something there, will have to take a tad off the bottom too so it isn't a square crop - Thanks :)
Skill, my favourite of the bunch, nice toothy smile certainly a lot of skill needed to put it back to its former glory
Cheers mate :)
Half, another good shot for the theme, not sure the horizon is straight though it could be my wonky eyes
Thanks... the horizon was a struggle, the land does actually slope so was tough getting to the right compromise :)
Architecture the second one for me, the first one is a little lost
nice catch up (y)
I agree fully mate :D

And thanks :)

Re shoot of line/linear I love the composition very fitting for the theme, I like the silhouette nicely done.
Thanks Mandy :)

Skill - yes I can see that will take a Herculean amount of skill to restore to it's former glory, nice find for the theme.
Thanks again :)

Half - lovely find I like the colours and tones in the image, fits the theme for me.
Cheers... did take a while to fine a half done field again, I sore one one evening coming home from work and knew that's what I wanted... took an age driving around finding another a few days later :D

Architectural - both good images I find however the second image the building is more interesting to me.
To me too... should have gone with my gut I feel :)

Hi DK
Rich - #1 is good comp but surface of tea looks a bit odd. Good colour .
Cheers mate... yeah it's the reflection, didn't spot it but once you do it's all you can see :D
#2 is a bit ordinary.
:)
#3 I like a lot partic the comp, crop and colour/detail.
Thanks again Alan :)
#4 also has good attributes of comp and colour and i like the detail in the hand, but the blue nail varnish jars for me (and i apologise to the model:))
No apology required... Mrs DK will hunt you down personally :LOL:
Skill - I can see the connection to the theme but still a bit of a leap to get there:rolleyes: B/g is a bit distracting but like the angle and detail in the boat
I'm happy with the connection to the theme my self... but agree on the background, on here it looks like I have Waaaaay over done it, looked fine on lightroom :thinking:
Half - good capture. Some very nice tones - very redolent of shredded wheat/weetabix ads. horizon a bit bright:thinking:
OOOooooo hadn't spotted that, yeah it is a tad possibly :)
Architecture - #1 looks a bit flat and too many adverts to appreciate any architecture. #2 much better - like the detail and the angle of shot.
Cheers :)

I was hoping the letterbox crop and long building would work.... guess it hasn't at all going by the comments, worse than I thought lol

Hi DK just having a mad catch up ....love the boat shot for skill I like the broken down look and well spotted that toothy smile on it....an excellent choice....the other one that caught my eye is the barley field ..an enviable shot...I really love that one.
Thanks very much Susie :)

Architecture - I like both shots possibly no 2 is my favourite but hard to choose. Looks like there is a slight distortion/perspective issue on the towers in no2 because to the angle you have had to shoot at. But good composition and nice sharp image.
Thanks Richard :)

There was certainly MUCH more distortion, sorted as much as I could in Lightroom, I must say that the corrections that can be done now I am going to have to leave much moor room around my subjects whe it comes to buildings and the like as the process removes loooooooads of space :)

Hiya DK, good catch up, it'll take more than skill to get that boat back on the open sea :D like the pov (y) but does it look a little cold ( it could be me, I've been told that I can make things look too warm :D)

Half- Great idea :clap:( I nearly did the same so it has to be :whistle:) good colour,as you say, lighting is good(y) :thinking: possibly pull a little more detail out in the sky? I also would have liked to see the standing wheat leading in more from the left corner showing more stubble :)

Your first pier shot I like, suits the crop, good pov and composition (y) and for me, if your going to the seaside, it has to be a beautiful clear blue sky :D

Last edited:
Evening mr DK :clap:

Linear / line reshoot...works for me leading in from top lh corner , good clouds :) BUT...I really like the abstract one you took as well....that has the edge for me :clap:

Skill.....hmmm, not sure on this one but can see what you're getting at .Plenty of detail in the rotting wood & peeling paint...crying out for a light touch in HDR me thinks :exit:

Half...this I really like , perfectly on theme , the colors make me feel warm & the crop contrasts well with the blueish sky :clap: I'd maybe have got rid of the few stray green bits?

Architecture.....#2 for me...has an almost dream like effect to it, well framed , ggod detail & not to many people spoiling the shot (y)

Hi Dean,
Half... Love it, brings back a few memories, being a farming lasws I spent a lot of summers harvesting :clap:
Architecture.. I like both but #2 if I have to choose, nice images (y)
Thanks Judi :)

Hi Dk

Skill - excellent detail and textures on the boat and certainly on theme a very skillful person needed there.
Cheers mate :)

Half - again mate great detail, the colours are wonderful another really nice image
Thanks... I was lucky with good natural light that day, can't say the same about today !!!

Architecture - not to sure on these they don't shout Architecture but I guess they are, think I prefer the 2nd image
I know what you mean mate... that second one sure seems to be the fav again :)

Hiya DK, good catch up,
Thanks Phil :) ... but I'm now behind again :D

it'll take more than skill to get that boat back on the open sea :D like the pov (y) but does it look a little cold ( it could be me, I've been told that I can make things look too warm :D)
Cheers mate... not sure about the cold... I was trying to drag as much out of the sky as possible so maybe did mess something up :thinking:

Half- Great idea :clap:( I nearly did the same so it has to be :whistle:) good colour,as you say, lighting is good(y) :thinking: possibly pull a little more detail out in the sky? I also would have liked to see the standing wheat leading in more from the left corner showing more stubble :)
Thanks again... and great minds etc hey :D

I did struggle with the sky, there was nothing there :( as for more stubble... yes I agree, I should have took a shot from further back I took LOADS of close up from different angles but not one set back - Doh :LOL:

Your first pier shot I like, suits the crop, good pov and composition (y) and for me, if your going to the seaside, it has to be a beautiful clear blue sky :D
Yay somebody likes the first one ....thanks :D

Evening mr DK :clap:
Hey Miss Blondie :)

Linear / line reshoot...works for me leading in from top lh corner , good clouds :) BUT...I really like the abstract one you took as well....that has the edge for me :clap:
Ooooo Thanks Lynne :)

Skill.....hmmm, not sure on this one but can see what you're getting at .Plenty of detail in the rotting wood & peeling paint...crying out for a light touch in HDR me thinks :exit:
And why didn't I think of that... should of took an in camera one while there :bang:

Half...this I really like , perfectly on theme , the colors make me feel warm & the crop contrasts well with the blueish sky :clap: I'd maybe have got rid of the few stray green bits?
Thanks.. and Damn, didn't even spot the green bits :D

Architecture.....#2 for me...has an almost dream like effect to it, well framed , ggod detail & not to many people spoiling the shot (y)
Thanks again Lynne :) it was VERY hard to get a shot with not many people in it, it was about a 25 minute wait to ensure people were not in front of the pier and/or standing on the edge eating icecreams, this is the best I could get :)

Right... moving on to some new stuff

A boring shot, I wanted to play about with all sorts of tools, angles, lenses and DoF with this but due to the weather only got 10 minutes outside for this shot... I wanted a nice outdoor shot not staged with lights indoors again

The weather is appalling, so a quick shot on a tripod, 10 second delay on the timer, I wanted to freeze some sawdust so put the flash on, not happy with my attempt so going with this simple take instead (Up for next re-shoot weather permitting)

If the rain stops in the next hour or so I may pop out and try again... but in the mean time

Wk 23 - my saw is rusty but still 'Sharp' :D

Wk 33 - Sharp by TP DK, on Flickr

Half: I really like that cornfield shot, brings back childhood memories. Spot on POV.

Architecture 2: what an incredible structure ... never saw anything quite like that. Spot on POV ... again.

Sharp: Good idea for the theme. nice depth. Horribly sharp saw!

Hi DK, i think you could get a little closer in for sharp as its the teeth that matter, as it is it's nicely sharp were it needs to be
different crop for me (y)

Hellooooo

Hmmmm...do you have a thing about saw's ?? Seem to recall an earlier shot using one ? Should we be worried ??:eek:

Different crop but it works , focus spot on so that's all good (y) The really oof chunk of wood in the fg irk's me.....closer crop maybe ? Right to the point where the wood comes in to focus ??

Hi Dean... good shot and certainly on theme. Wouldn't want to get my fingers in the way :)

I don't mind the OOF foreground bit of wood, although darkening it slightly might help it not to jump out and scream "ME, ME, ME!" so much. I can't say it's causing me particular issue, though. I like the positioning of the saw within the frame but I'm less convinced about the saw stand - it's actually the bit where the teeth of the saw kind of blend into a brown edge of the stand which all sort of melds into one for me and causes my eyes to go funny.

But, that is being picky and overall, I think you've done well to give us a different take on a theme which definitely works.

Half: I really like that cornfield shot, brings back childhood memories. Spot on POV.
Thanks David... we too used to spend hours in the fields when I was little, it seemed soooo much taller in them days though :)

Architecture 2: what an incredible structure ... never saw anything quite like that. Spot on POV ... again.
Thanks again... yes it is an unusual Pier :)

Sharp: Good idea for the theme. nice depth. Horribly sharp saw!
Must admit I have nicked myself on a Jet Cut now and then :)

Hi DK, i think you could get a little closer in for sharp as its the teeth that matter, as it is it's nicely sharp were it needs to be
different crop for me (y)
Thanks Alan :)

I was trying to get it as a leading line so didn't think of that... I'll have a go when next on my PC :)

Hellooooo

Hmmmm...do you have a thing about saw's ?? Seem to recall an earlier shot using one ? Should we be worried ??:eek:
Well... as long as you have no appendages exposed when at the next meet you'll be fine :geek:

Different crop but it works , focus spot on so that's all good (y) The really oof chunk of wood in the fg irk's me.....closer crop maybe ? Right to the point where the wood comes in to focus ??
OOoo another suggesting a crop, I really must next time I am on my PC :)

Absolutlry LOVE the toothy grinned boat there. Completely agree with the Disney Pixar type character going on there. Would it take a bit of subtle (or not so subtle :naughty:) "HDR-ing", or maybe a bit wallop of clarity, to bring out a bit more grittiness?? Perfect as it is though too.

Half harvested is a great take on the theme, and the blue sky with the yello of the corn works well.

Sharp is definatley that, and the OOF end of the timber is really in-yer-face, OOFness emphassisng the sharpness. Love the rust on the blade too. I think I can see in my mind the shot that you were going for, and I can only imagine its going to be pretty hard to get - not sure if flash would make it easier or harder either. Good luck! :)

Hi Dean... good shot and certainly on theme. Wouldn't want to get my fingers in the way :)
Cheers Paul :)

I don't mind the OOF foreground bit of wood, although darkening it slightly might help it not to jump out and scream "ME, ME, ME!" so much. I can't say it's causing me particular issue, though. I like the positioning of the saw within the frame but I'm less convinced about the saw stand - it's actually the bit where the teeth of the saw kind of blend into a brown edge of the stand which all sort of melds into one for me and causes my eyes to go funny.
Ahhhhhh another plan, I'll get something closer for sure, and tone down the end of the hop-up lol :D

But, that is being picky and overall, I think you've done well to give us a different take on a theme which definitely works.
Cheers mate, but I do like to receive crit and idea's, that's the whole point of it :)

Last edited:
Absolutlry LOVE the toothy grinned boat there. Completely agree with the Disney Pixar type character going on there. Would it take a bit of subtle (or not so subtle :naughty:) "HDR-ing", or maybe a bit wallop of clarity, to bring out a bit more grittiness?? Perfect as it is though too.
Cheers Graham :)

I haven't played much with the clarity slider, think I will have a go at that, I wish this Adobe CC was able to work across LAN I'd have a play now !!!!

Half harvested is a great take on the theme, and the blue sky with the yello of the corn works well.
Thanks Again :)

Sharp is definatley that, and the OOF end of the timber is really in-yer-face, OOFness emphassisng the sharpness. Love the rust on the blade too. I think I can see in my mind the shot that you were going for, and I can only imagine its going to be pretty hard to get - not sure if flash would make it easier or harder either. Good luck! :)
Well this is certainly my next re-shoot (y)

Hi DK ...I think the crop would work but I don't mind the OOF wood as my eyes immediately went to the saw. Good choice for the theme...you mentioned sawdust and I can't see any ....perhaps cheat a bit next time and have an extra bit ready shower down for the photo, you could hide it behind the saw o_O

Hi DK ...I think the crop would work but I don't mind the OOF wood as my eyes immediately went to the saw. Good choice for the theme...you mentioned sawdust and I can't see any ....perhaps cheat a bit next time and have an extra bit ready shower down for the photo, you could hide it behind the saw o_O
Thanks Susie :) ... and Ooooo what a good idea :D My version just didn't work, need a drier day ...

Anddddd onto the next, took this on Monday too... wet weather, testing my camera/lens combo for water sealing :D

Again not the best and a tad of a shoehorn.... I was going for Pure Clear water, my pond, but due to poor light and the use of a poloriser the ISO required to get a good shot lost way too much clarity, so here is my reserve that I took just in case...

Wk 34 - 'Pure' nature...

Wk 34 - Pure by TP DK, on Flickr

Catch up time........

Loud - Like the image. Super saturated reds and a great composition. The DoF and diagonal angle is spot on as is your choice of including only part of the phone

Rich - How many biscuits did you go through to get these photos? LOL. #1 for me. I like the high key approach and how the whites blend together. Super shot.

Reshoot - My preference is for #2. Nice and abstract with complimentary colours

Skill - This looks a good candidate for a gritty mono conversion. It definitely needs some skilled hands working on it

Half - I considered a similar shot when we were staying on a farm during harvest time last week. The eye is led along the edge of the crop. All it needed was a rabbit sat there LOL

Architecture - I certainly like the panoramic style crop of #1. The colours are great as well. The pier splits the picture in two but I feel it works well for it.

Sharp - Great idea. It needs a shallow DoF and you've done exactly that. Again the colours are super. The touches of blue against that green is lovely.

Pure - Flower on the third. You've done well with the exposure as the whites retain some detail and again the selection of a shallow DoF has worked nicely.

Loving the droplets of rain, the bright white stands out nicely and the blast of yellow stands out nicely.

Looks great full screen on flickr! :)

Hi DK
Sharp - yep it looks it. Quite like the crop and the pov. Understand about sawdust - would be a good addition. Pity about the blue of the stand, bit not much you can do with that.
Pure - for me I would crop the left hand side and make the frame more square. Good pov, dof and very nice colours. Really like the way that you have portrayed the light of a rainy day and captured the rain spots - hard in those circumstances not to gat a bit dreary but you have overcome that very well

Catch up time........

Loud - Like the image. Super saturated reds and a great composition. The DoF and diagonal angle is spot on as is your choice of including only part of the phone
Cheers Peter :)

Rich - How many biscuits did you go through to get these photos? LOL. #1 for me. I like the high key approach and how the whites blend together. Super shot.
I ate only a few :whistle:

Reshoot - My preference is for #2. Nice and abstract with complimentary colours

Skill - This looks a good candidate for a gritty mono conversion. It definitely needs some skilled hands working on it
Thanks again... and I'd love to spend some time doing a mono conversion, roll on the cold winter evenings :)

Half - I considered a similar shot when we were staying on a farm during harvest time last week. The eye is led along the edge of the crop.
Cheers... Great minds eye :)

All it needed was a rabbit sat there LOL
Oh YEAH lmao :LOL:

Architecture - I certainly like the panoramic style crop of #1. The colours are great as well. The pier splits the picture in two but I feel it works well for it.
Ahhhh so it does... a bit less sky or less sand ??

Sharp - Great idea. It needs a shallow DoF and you've done exactly that. Again the colours are super. The touches of blue against that green is lovely.
I liked the Blue/Green too... the rust on the leg as pointed out by Paul really bugs me now though :bat:

Pure - Flower on the third. You've done well with the exposure as the whites retain some detail and again the selection of a shallow DoF has worked nicely.
Cheers mate... the light really was NOT GOOD, appreciate the in depth feedback :)

Hi DK
Sharp - yep it looks it. Quite like the crop and the pov. Understand about sawdust - would be a good addition. Pity about the blue of the stand, bit not much you can do with that.
Pure - for me I would crop the left hand side and make the frame more square. Good pov, dof and very nice colours. Really like the way that you have portrayed the light of a rainy day and captured the rain spots - hard in those circumstances not to gat a bit dreary but you have overcome that very well
Cheers Graham, appreciated :)

Not sure on the squarer crop... may give that a go later tonight, not sure why but I rarely go square :thinking:

Back