weekly DK's 52 in 2014 - Wk's 52 'Support' Added - AND FINISHED :)

BTW Bud
We are off to NY in 3 weeks - what lens (es) did you take and find the most useful?
I took my 24-70 and 70-200... the 24-70 was on 95% of the time

It did perfect for me, although at times I wanted something just a tad wider

I took my 24-70 and 70-200... the 24-70 was on 95% of the time

It did perfect for me, although at times I wanted something just a tad wider

Thanks - Aah - wider you say. i have a crop D7k so the 18-70 would be 27-105 on your scale. But was wondering whether to take my little m4/3 cos of size but that starts t 28mm equivalent . Food for thought

Thanks - Aah - wider you say. i have a crop D7k so the 18-70 would be 27-105 on your scale. But was wondering whether to take my little m4/3 cos of size but that starts t 28mm equivalent . Food for thought
27-105 equivalent would be good for most of the time in my opinion, or 28mm, you'll get the shots no problem, for the ubber wide just take a couple of shots and blend them :)

Helloooo.....

Pure....lovely.....perfect use of DOF , spot on focus , good control of exposure to avoid blown bits & the water drops just lift it a bit.....good stuff mister :clap:

Helloooo.....

Pure....lovely.....perfect use of DOF , spot on focus , good control of exposure to avoid blown bits & the water drops just lift it a bit.....good stuff mister :clap:
Cheers Lynne, It certainly isn't what I was after but it will sure do :)

'ello, Pure, lovely, well composed photograph. I just brightened up a little in PS and it seemed to add a little pop.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy :) - how did you brighten it mate ?? every time I tried I started to get blown highlights, I have them slid to their lowest already, or did you selectively lighten (y)

Cheers Lynne, It certainly isn't what I was after but it will sure do :)

Thanks Andy :) - how did you brighten it mate ?? every time I tried I started to get blown highlights, I have them slid to their lowest already, or did you selectively lighten (y)

Now you're asking...I think I was drunk when I did it :) I usually add a white layer underneath the photograph and just use the brush tool to selectvely erase.....or somehting like that :beer:

Cheers.

Hi Dean

Nice shot for Pure - that wasn't a theme I got on well with so you've done well to nail it. I think compositionally and technically, it's on the money. The only question it raises for me is whether it would be even stronger in B&W? There are strong colours in the background against the very pale lily and I wonder whether a careful B&W conversion which pulls the lily out more might work?

But regardless, it's a good shot!

Now you're asking...I think I was drunk when I did it :) I usually add a white layer underneath the photograph and just use the brush tool to selectvely erase.....or somehting like that :beer:

Cheers.
Ah Haaaaaaa.... hmmmmmmm :thinking: Erm, I haven't got a clue about what you just said mate :tumbleweed:

I'm really jealous that your lily has opened. Mine is clamped tightly shut :(

Nice photo, too.
Cheers Tony :)

I'm quite pleased, I have two out on the same plant currently :)

Hi Dean

Nice shot for Pure - that wasn't a theme I got on well with so you've done well to nail it. I think compositionally and technically, it's on the money. The only question it raises for me is whether it would be even stronger in B&W? There are strong colours in the background against the very pale lily and I wonder whether a careful B&W conversion which pulls the lily out more might work?

But regardless, it's a good shot!
Thanks as always paul (y)

B&W hey, that sounds very sensible I need to add a note of the idea's I really want to try, and thus is sure one of the - Thanks again :)

Ah Haaaaaaa.... hmmmmmmm :thinking: Erm, I haven't got a clue about what you just said mate :tumbleweed:
Thanks as always paul (y)

B&W hey, that sounds very sensible I need to add a note of the idea's I really want to try, and thus is sure one of the - Thanks again :)

A sub five minute job while I was waiting to be connected on a conference call: http://i.imgur.com/j8aYSNt.jpg - it's not great but sort of the idea I had.

Hi sorry for not popping in had broadband issues, but I am back now so I am on a massive catch up.

Sharp - I agree with you your saw looks a little rusty but certainly looks sharp to me.

Pure - a beautiful take for the theme and fits very nicely into the theme, nice sharp image and good composition.

Hi sorry for not popping in had broadband issues, but I am back now so I am on a massive catch up.

Sharp - I agree with you your saw looks a little rusty but certainly looks sharp to me.

Pure - a beautiful take for the theme and fits very nicely into the theme, nice sharp image and good composition.
Thanks Mandy :)

Don't you just HATE it when the internet plays up... I find i'm lost without it, sad but true !!!

Right quick catch up of a couple of themes, all taken during my couple of days at Stratford upon-Avon the week before last :)

The first is pretty straight forward, and plain, but I got what I wanted... Handheld water with movement and a Sparkle of sunlight, I have a few with boats and ducks/swans etc but none capture the sparkle I wanted like this one, so here it is - Wk 35 'Sparkle'

Wk 35 - Sparkle by TP DK, on Flickr

And onto my next... Two different views of the same thing... again not exciting but a small water fall, well hardly a waterfall but hey, there wasn't much choice :)

The first shot, HDR'd to the limit - hopefully not too much, I wanted the lines of the castle wall to lead the the water, I also wanted a bit of foreground but not sure if it is too much of a distraction :thinking:

Wk 36 - Fall by TP DK, on Flickr

My Second shot is a bit of tilt-shift from an upstairs window, I deliberately kept the bars in the shot to try and help frame it, I have played around a bit and personally feel having them just about in focus works better than throwing them right out... your thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

Wk 36 - Fall 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

HI DK was feeling guilty with how far behind I was but now I have seen your with me its not so bad :)

Sharp - On theme and the oof side really makes the teeth stand out positioning works and the focus is spot on think the OOF is a bit like Marmite on this shot

Pure - love it the whites with the lilly pads in the background really sets it off getting the exposure right must have been a tad tricky

Sparkle - well it ticks a box mate not your finest work but its a bugger of a theme

I like the sparkle, nicely composed and a lovely color in the blue of the water, looking almost Mediterranean. You know, I tried to hazard a guess at settings here. I had small aperture and show shutter.... Couldn't have been more wrong as it turns out. :)

Nice composition on the waterfall too. Good verticals, and the colour is just about as far as you could push it. Good bit of blue sky too, also reflected in the water.

Fallen into the trap on the fake TS technique... Where the middle section is sharp dependant on its position and not the distance from the camera. The most noticeable is the left vertical of the window frame. But in fairness it does look a very difficult scene to create this effect on.

HI DK was feeling guilty with how far behind I was but now I have seen your with me its not so bad :)
Hey never feel bad mate, glad to be in the same boat as many others though, we can all only do what we can do when we can do it... those that are up to date can't have a very demanding job/life :D

Sharp - On theme and the oof side really makes the teeth stand out positioning works and the focus is spot on think the OOF is a bit like Marmite on this shot
Cheers, and yep think your right, get different thoughts on that one for sure :)

Pure - love it the whites with the lilly pads in the background really sets it off getting the exposure right must have been a tad tricky
Cheers again, it wasn't too bad with the exposure it was getting it right in LR that seemed a bit tricky :)

Sparkle - well it ticks a box mate not your finest work but its a bugger of a theme
Well... and to be fair I can't grumble on that, Thanks :LOL:

I like the sparkle, nicely composed and a lovely color in the blue of the water, looking almost Mediterranean. You know, I tried to hazard a guess at settings here. I had small aperture and show shutter.... Couldn't have been more wrong as it turns out. :)
Hahaaaa yeah the slow shutter speeds didn't work as well as I thought, the 'Sparkle' bits were too much of a blur :)

Nice composition on the waterfall too. Good verticals, and the colour is just about as far as you could push it. Good bit of blue sky too, also reflected in the water.
Thanks :) a bit of processing went into this one, a bit of cloning, removing distortion etc, quite please with the LR touches :)

Fallen into the trap on the fake TS technique... Where the middle section is sharp dependant on its position and not the distance from the camera. The most noticeable is the left vertical of the window frame. But in fairness it does look a very difficult scene to create this effect on.
Oooo DAMN - Well spotted LOL :LOL:

Hi Dk, sorry i have missed a lot!

pure, nice composition, really like the greens and the water lilly stands out nicely. Water droplets make it.
sparkle, nice and simple snd fits the theme
1st waterfall, b+w maybe?
2nd. not sure on the bars, though they do help to draw attention to the waterfall.
No worries Micheal, I know how busy you have been this year, appreciate you visiting, I quite fancy doing the B&W of the waterfall, but not sure I have the time to p*** about :)

Hi DK ...a catch up for me to with my comments....one minute I'm caught up with everyone and the next minute I'm loads behind ....anyway ....I'm liking the lily for pure ...the water drops really add a lot to it and that soft pinky glow in the bottom petals is lovely. Sparkle is spot on ...couldn't be much sparklier if you tried. Smashing composition for your first fall shot, I guess the HD gives it that vibrant green colour, it's just about on the limit for me but it makes the building stand out really nicely. Not sure what tilt shift is but I really like it ....I just think the roof of the building below takes the effect from the waterfall...but I really like the blurry window bars .

Hi DK ...a catch up for me to with my comments....one minute I'm caught up with everyone and the next minute I'm loads behind ....anyway ....I'm liking the lily for pure ...the water drops really add a lot to it and that soft pinky glow in the bottom petals is lovely. Sparkle is spot on ...couldn't be much sparklier if you tried. Smashing composition for your first fall shot, I guess the HD gives it that vibrant green colour, it's just about on the limit for me but it makes the building stand out really nicely. Not sure what tilt shift is but I really like it ....I just think the roof of the building below takes the effect from the waterfall...but I really like the blurry window bars .
Thanks Susie :)

Tilt Shift is a method to mimic a minature/model often used on TV recently on property programmes etc, I like the effect when done well, this is not the best of examples :D

Hi DK, sparkle is really nice plenty of sparkle and the colour is excellent (y) of the ones for fall number 1 for me though a little over saturated maybe :thinking: but thats maybe the HDR
but if you hadn't said it was HDR I would never have known and thats a good thing I feel.

Hi DK, sparkle is really nice plenty of sparkle and the colour is excellent (y) of the ones for fall number 1 for me though a little over saturated maybe :thinking: but thats maybe the HDR
but if you hadn't said it was HDR I would never have known and thats a good thing I feel.
Thanks Allan :)

Only PP i did was de-converging verticals and quite a bit of cloning, the HDR was all in camera - set to Vivid for the best bang/pop, hoped it would give the shot some life :D

Sparkle - You've definitely caught some sparkles in the water but it feels a little too out of focus for me. It does emphasise the sparkles though

Fall - Whilst I like #1 which is perfectly focussed and composed I prefer the quirkiness of #2. I can't help but wonder why someone is looking out of the window. Are they being held captive? Definitely a story in there.

Sparkle - I know from my own efforts how difficult it is to capture sunlight sparkling on water and I think you've made a good job with this shot.

Fall - not so keen on the second shot, but I love the first one - great colours, composition and an overall pleasing image. Who said says size matters? It's a waterfall isn't it?

Sparkle - You've definitely caught some sparkles in the water but it feels a little too out of focus for me. It does emphasise the sparkles though
Thanks Peter :)

I was thinking opinions may be split.

Fall - Whilst I like #1 which is perfectly focussed and composed I prefer the quirkiness of #2. I can't help but wonder why someone is looking out of the window. Are they being held captive? Definitely a story in there.
Cheers mate :) definetly some stories in that castle, as all castles in this wonderful country of ours, soaked/dripping with history :)

Hi DK

I'm afraid Fall #2 doesn't work for me but Fall #1 and Sparkle I like.
Thanks David :)

Sparkle - I know from my own efforts how difficult it is to capture sunlight sparkling on water and I think you've made a good job with this shot.
Thanks Elaine :) it was the best of the bunch in my opinion... by quite a lot

Fall - not so keen on the second shot, but I love the first one - great colours, composition and an overall pleasing image. Who said says size matters? It's a waterfall isn't it?
Ha Haaaa... Thanks again :) size has to play a part in some way, one has to do more than just touch the sides lol

Right, here are a couple of shots of Dark... I have been waiting to get home at a reasonable time to do these :)

2 shots, both of the same subject, just different settings - what I learnt with this one, not the easiest images to get sharp, was great fun in the dark, Bulb gave the most pleasing results, which I was expecting anyway... and a remote release was essential, self timer wasn't controllable at all

This first shot is self timer 30 seconds and HIGH iso 25600

Wk 38 - Dark by TP DK, on Flickr

The second shot shot on Bulb, ISO 320 and for 30 seconds again (I wanted to ensure the second hand didn't pass the main hands on this shot) I have cloned in a couple of bits to fill the gap where the date is... I think it helps balance it a bit more - maybe :thinking:

Wk 38 - Dark 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
prefrring the first of those, cool idea.

like the first best cos it has the hint of the brand coming through and the greater white showing from the dots works better than just the plain green.

Nice strong sweep of the second hand too, maybe better going from the 7 to the 1, rather than the 8 to the 2... but easy to say afterwards.

Reckon the bringing across of the "3" marks you;ve done in the second is well worth it. Like to see this done to the first, and maybe too much space on the left??

Hi DK, I think I prefer the first composition wise but the second for the exposure, good blacks and a nice idea (y)

Rolex....get you :)

I like #1 because I can see part of the Rolex, but I like the simpleness of #2.

I'll go for #2....but I'd prefer smiley faces of the hands.

Cheers ya rich sod ;)

prefrring the first of those, cool idea.
Thanks Graham :)

like the first best cos it has the hint of the brand coming through and the greater white showing from the dots works better than just the plain green.
I know what you mean mate... the whiter does work doesn't it :)

Nice strong sweep of the second hand too, maybe better going from the 7 to the 1, rather than the 8 to the 2... but easy to say afterwards.
Yeah I prefer the sweep in the second too, a combination of the two would be ideal.... guess there is a challenge here with the ideal timing :D

Reckon the bringing across of the "3" marks you;ve done in the second is well worth it. Like to see this done to the first, and maybe too much space on the left??
You think hey... cool, I like how it filled the gap, but also unsure as it destroys the true look :)

:agree: Yep ... cool idea. :clap:
Thanks David :)

Hi DK, I think I prefer the first composition wise but the second for the exposure, good blacks and a nice idea (y)
Cheers Alan :) sounds like mixed thoughts again... like in my head !!!!

Rolex....get you :)

I like #1 because I can see part of the Rolex, but I like the simpleness of #2.

I'll go for #2....but I'd prefer smiley faces of the hands.

Cheers ya rich sod ;)
Hahaaaa cheers Andy :)

Understand your choice, the not so cluttered face with the added 3 section sure does go straight to the point !!

Hi DK .....very hard to choose between the two as I really like them both .... what a great idea .... very effective with the florescent green against the black.
Thanks Susie :)

Another reason why I like the second, even though I like the white in the first, the green seems to be more representative of the moment I took the shot :)

Now then mister...how was the Big Apple ? & where's all the shots ?

Dark.....I'm totally baffled by this : lovely sparkle
Reckon the bringing across of the "3" marks you've done in the second is well worth it. Like to see this done to the first, and maybe too much space on the left?? from Graham:thinking: I must be feeling blonder than usual :LOL: Anyhoo.....2nd one for me...simply because it's got a smiley face :D Really good idea , no crit from me on 2 at all :clap:

Sparkle..... yup ,plenty of that....but not your best...sorry :(

Tilt shift one...like it ...not played with this effect in a long while ,is quite effective in a subtle way

Struggled to see the HDR effect on this one, very subtle indeed...just a bit of haloing round the tree's.Maybe needs the greens/yellows reining in a bit & the reds boosting a touch on the brickwork .Wondering what a b&w version would look like :thinking:

Now then mister...how was the Big Apple ? & where's all the shots ?
OMG woman... that was back in April I think, I've been to Wales with you since then lol

I think it's the bike exhausts... brain rot ;)

Dark.....I'm totally baffled by this : lovely sparkle
Reckon the bringing across of the "3" marks you've done in the second is well worth it. Like to see this done to the first, and maybe too much space on the left?? from Graham:thinking: I must be feeling blonder than usual :LOL:
LOL ... Thanks Lynne :)

Yeah I agree with yopu guys now, I really must clone the the first image too... one day :D

Anyhoo.....2nd one for me...simply because it's got a smiley face :D Really good idea , no crit from me on 2 at all :clap:
Trust You, a smiley face is all it took ... oh and a big thanks again :)

Sparkle..... yup ,plenty of that....but not your best...sorry :(
Thanks... and yup, totally agree

Tilt shift one...like it ...not played with this effect in a long while ,is quite effective in a subtle way
Me neither, Got to find just the right subject for the best effect hey :)

Struggled to see the HDR effect on this one, very subtle indeed...just a bit of haloing round the tree's.Maybe needs the greens/yellows reining in a bit & the reds boosting a touch on the brickwork .Wondering what a b&w version would look like :thinking:
Hmmmmm some good points there:
  • Yeah there is some haloing, not sure how to remove that ??
  • Colours reining in - Naaaah, I like it BOLD :D
  • B&W - Now, I did think that and even thought about SC
Thanks Everybody :)

Right onto this weeks shot(s)

I wanted to get back up to date'ish and take my shots in the correct week, last weekend was our regular TP meet on the Norfolk Broads, I had to break with tradition a tad, and sneaked a camera onboard our luxury cruiseliner... Had a great day, thought I had the shots I wanted that could be squeezed into the theme :)

All three shots are of birds, NOT my preferred subject, I never do birds normally, but I actually enjoyed doing these, would like to practice moving objects taken from a moving object again to try and iron out the focus troubles I had - IF you squint a little while looking at these, they nearly look sharp :D

First shot... creating a big splash during take off, took quite a few of these shots and this is the sharpest I got on the day :)

Wk 39 - Big by TP DK, on Flickr

Shot 2... a BIG wake from such a little bird - I wanted to get a good reflection and good detail with this one, the reflection is there, not so happy with the detail, would prefer it a bit sharper

Wk 39 - Big 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Last one - if doing birds, there was nothing bigger there than a great BIG swan, for this I was trying to get again good detail in the feathers and a nice reflection, I have blown some of them by the looks of it but managed detail in the most part, I would be interested in suggestions to get the best lighting on such a graceful bird :)

Wk 39 - Big 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

Thanks for visiting guys :)

Last edited:
Back