weekly DK's 52 in 2014 - Wk's 52 'Support' Added - AND FINISHED :)

yep - super job - love the OOF spokes being in the foreground with the subject behind, not the way it is generally done but works really well here.

A spoke from both left corners too shows good attention to detail.

A couple of nice OOF highlights nad plenty of detail in the main area, well done to not be obscured by any of the lines.

And only one this week too, nice and easy. :LOL:

Hi Dean hope all is well, I am a little late to the party again with the comments I am just having a catch up on what I missed. I love your take on the theme first good idea, and attached works well simple image but fits nicely into the theme.

Hi, Dean, Attached, WB looks a little out on my Mac, a little orange :thinking:

I like the angle and perspective. I might have been tempted to get in much closer the the part on the RH third.

Cheers.

Hi DK

Smooth ... I too like the first one with the finger, give it perspective.

Attached ... ah it's an umbrella is it! Nice :clap:

Good idea Dk, Its all already been mentioned, great composition, dof, focus spot on (y)

Hiya Dean... well I really like this! I think it's a fab idea, the composition just works perfectly for me, aesthetically. The shadow on the wall behind is also good. I'm not sure whether a harder shadow might work better, but then you'd be left with hard lighting on the spokes, which might not be ideal. I dunno - I think you've nailed it, as it is! (y)
Thanks Paul :)

The wall is actually just the inside of the brolly, I tried several different ways with the flash, modeling light, daylight Etc... this was modelling light switched to highest level :)

Hi DK, at first look I thought it was some kind of bike wheel and have just realised its an umbrella, rella, rella

its a nice abstract image, it draws you in a bit like a web (y)
Cool... thanks Allan :)

Hi Dean, I like the way the very inner part of the umbrella is framed by the other erm thingy's :D B+w (if it's not a very mono coloured umbrella) works well. A great idea for the theme. Nicely executed.
Thanks Michael :)

Not B&W no, it's just a white
brolly one of my studio lights :)

Nice abstract Dean, great idea, bang on theme. I like it a lot. :)
Cheers Brian :)

yep - super job - love the OOF spokes being in the foreground with the subject behind, not the way it is generally done but works really well here.

A spoke from both left corners too shows good attention to detail.

A couple of nice OOF highlights nad plenty of detail in the main area, well done to not be obscured by any of the lines.

And only one this week too, nice and easy. :LOL:
Haaaaa cheers Graham :)

Glad you spotted the spokes from the left hand corners, that was really hard to get them two in and the centre bit un hindered... I was twisted over like some type of looney in the end :D

Hi Dean hope all is well, I am a little late to the party again with the comments I am just having a catch up on what I missed. I love your take on the theme first good idea, and attached works well simple image but fits nicely into the theme.
I am good thanks Mandy and thanks for the kind comments :)

Hi, Dean, Attached, WB looks a little out on my Mac, a little orange :thinking:

I like the angle and perspective. I might have been tempted to get in much closer the the part on the RH third.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy :)

Orange... yep there is a slight hint but think that was close to how I see it at the time :)

I did try a close in shot, but for me the oof spokes were then pretty non existent and gave the image little depth for me, so I went with the Shallow DoF :)

Hi DK ...I love this one, it makes a super image ...the angle is great and the b&w a perfect choice .... really very nice indeedy :clap:
Many Thanks Susie :)

Hi DK

Smooth ... I too like the first one with the finger, give it perspective.

Attached ... ah it's an umbrella is it! Nice :clap:
Thanks David on both counts :)

Hi DK

Thread title not up to date - how can I cope o_O
Opppppps :D

Attached - obviously an umbrella to my eyes on first sight but then the abstract nature of the composition kicks in and one has to start looking around to confirm first thoughts and a little doubt creeps in- excellent.
Very clear, shiny bits handled well. (y)
Thank you Alan... I like the varying elements too, the shiny, oof and shadow all have their own place :)

Good idea Dk, Its all already been mentioned, great composition, dof, focus spot on (y)
Cheers Phil :)

Well... I attempted to capture Mrs DK on our Cross Trainer, getting some energy being spent... unfortunately the motion blur I wanted didn't work at all, so they have all been scraped :(

Moving on, idea 3, my emergency backup idea, we had 10 little wind turbines close to us, but these were pulled down recently to be replaced by 3 mid size ones, I have been watching these closely and the first is up and with it being very accessible I wanted to get some close up shots, these are not exactly what I wanted, I could do with a wider lens to capture the blades at their full width, as it is I have had to take the shots so that the blades are not perfectly symmetrical, but hey ho... they will do for now :)

Three different angles, liking all three so letting you choose again, because you like doing that so much :D

Wk 48 - Energy

Wk 48 - Energy by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 48 - Energy 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 48 - Energy 3 by TP DK, on Flickr

And onto this weeks... again my first idea has not worked, not liking my Bauble reflections, so, here is a placeholder which is similar to what I used last year :( as I want a seasonal shot, I hope to get something better later in the week, time permitting :)

Wk 49 - Round

Wk 49 - Round by TP DK, on Flickr

Energy - fits the bill for the theme, I feel the third image works best compositionally. Liking the centralness on the wind turbine on this occassion and the White fluffy clouds work well as the back drop. With just enough bright blue sky to add a splash of colour.

Round - certainly some twinkling round bits in the image but I feel it lacks a little something, I just can't :thinking: what it is at the moment.

Hi DK, three very good views of the wind turbine, for me its between the first and the third with the first maybe just edging it (y)

I kind of agree with Mandy about there being something missing in "round" but reading what you say above I will leave any other comments till your replacement pic appears :cautious:

Energy - fits the bill for the theme, I feel the third image works best compositionally. Liking the centralness on the wind turbine on this occassion and the White fluffy clouds work well as the back drop. With just enough bright blue sky to add a splash of colour.

Round - certainly some twinkling round bits in the image but I feel it lacks a little something, I just can't :thinking: what it is at the moment.
Thanks again Mandy :)

The Round shot for me lacks a focal point.... and interest :D

Hi DK, three very good views of the wind turbine, for me its between the first and the third with the first maybe just edging it (y)
Cheers Allan :)

I kind of agree with Mandy about there being something missing in "round" but reading what you say above I will leave any other comments till your replacement pic appears :cautious:
Thanks... I think lol

Hi, Energy #2 for me. The wide angle has really compressed the tower of the turbine. Lovely lighting and clouds.

Round, seems to be a few placeholders this week. It doesn't grab, so I'll wait for your proper submission (y)

Cheers.

after much deliberation, its the third of the turbines that really does it for me, I like aspects of the others, but its the perfect attention to detail and impeccable timing here that swing it for this one.

Dead central pole, with the third blade pointing strainght down at you, and the other two forming a striking perpendicular line. Clouds and blue of the sky set it off nicely, also the space around it benefits it too.

Light bokeh for round I like too and am happy for it not to have a subject as such. Lovely variation in colours with the hint of green in the BG coming through the purples.

Hi, Energy #2 for me. The wide angle has really compressed the tower of the turbine. Lovely lighting and clouds.
Cheers matey :)

Round, seems to be a few placeholders this week. It doesn't grab, so I'll wait for your proper submission (y)
Thanks... and Oh Dear best try get home early one day then :D

:cheers:

after much deliberation, its the third of the turbines that really does it for me, I like aspects of the others, but its the perfect attention to detail and impeccable timing here that swing it for this one.

Dead central pole, with the third blade pointing strainght down at you, and the other two forming a striking perpendicular line. Clouds and blue of the sky set it off nicely, also the space around it benefits it too.
Thanks Graham :)

I really wanted the dead centre shot of their blades at their widest too... think I need to hound @Slimbert to borrow a wider lens :D

Light bokeh for round I like too and am happy for it not to have a subject as such. Lovely variation in colours with the hint of green in the BG coming through the purples.
That's very kind thanks mate :)

I did try and make the best of what I had... I just want a focal point that isn't on the tree :thinking:

Of course it will have crimbo lights in the background still :D

Hi DK, I like 1 & 3 of your energy shots. 1 because it shows its vast size from where you are and 3 because I think it's cleverly shot. Good idea for the theme, even if it was only idea 3...

Love the round shot and the shameless bokeh you have shown us.

Don't think I'll be taking it to Poland in January, so you can probably hang on to it until we all go to Majorca.....:)
I'm amazed you wouldn't take it with you mate... what you takeing instead ??

Hi DK, I like 1 & 3 of your energy shots. 1 because it shows its vast size from where you are and 3 because I think it's cleverly shot. Good idea for the theme, even if it was only idea 3...
Thanks Si :)

Yeah odd how that works out isn't it !!!

Love the round shot and the shameless bokeh you have shown us.
Thanks again :)

3rd energy shot for me dk, the position of the blades is great, makes for a nice strong image.
Cheers Michael :)

Being able to get so close to these ones I'm really looking forward to trying to catch a good sunset behind them... ONCE they have removed the containers and Skips from out the front :bat:

Oh and I've just been informed that your Christmas card arrived today.....cheers, dude. I'll probably remember to send one back within the next 7 to 8 years or so give or take!! :rolleyes:

Energy >>> #3 for me ... but it's nice to see all three of them ... neat idea

Round >>> sumptuous bokeh (y) ... is this what they call a crowbar? ;)

Probably a 50mm f1.4 and a flashgun.....might take a 24-70mm too but doubt it tbh. I'm bored of lugging gear around.
Bored... BORED... how can you get bored carrying kit, don't think lugging kit think Exercise :thinking: ahhhhhhh yes I get your point

Oh and I've just been informed that your Christmas card arrived today.....cheers, dude. I'll probably remember to send one back within the next 7 to 8 years or so give or take!! :rolleyes:
Ha Haaaa no worries mate (y)

Energy >>> #3 for me ... but it's nice to see all three of them ... neat idea
Cheers David :)

Yeahhhh you can't beat a bit of variety :D

Round >>> sumptuous bokeh (y) ... is this what they call a crowbar? ;)
Ah well... just a tad... nah I'm going to say no... lots and LOTS of rounds there :D

MUST ADMIT, this week is going crap, struggling to get in early enough for a re-shoot, so will leave this as is currently and mark it for a re-shoot week :)

MUST ADMIT, this week is going crap, struggling to get in early enough for a re-shoot, so will leave this as is currently and mark it for a re-shoot week :)

He says knowing full well there are only 3 weeks left and the likelihood of a reshoot card being drawn is pretty slim... :sneaky:

Hi Dean - some good shots there but personally I love Energy #3. A lot has already been said about the composition which is perfect and well-timed (with the blades). Good technical photography isn't just about setting the camera to the right settings, it's also about waiting for the right moment to press the shutter. (y) Top job!

Round is on theme but lacking for me too... I think a few of us have suffered from lack of inspiration on the round front this week (me included)... and placeholder week is what it shall be known as from now on!

Hi DK I love those energy shots super composition getting in so close ...three is brilliant, you've caught the blades and their reflection perfectly, sky is spot on too ....really complements the shots.

Round does lack a focal point and the white is a bit bright ....I would prefer it as a softer image ....but it is very round :)

He says knowing full well there are only 3 weeks left and the likelihood of a reshoot card being drawn is pretty slim... :sneaky:
Ahhhhhh well... if you recall there were 5 put in the bag this year and only 4 of them have been drawn... so chances are we'll have another re-shoot in the next three weeks :)

Hi Dean - some good shots there but personally I love Energy #3. A lot has already been said about the composition which is perfect and well-timed (with the blades). Good technical photography isn't just about setting the camera to the right settings, it's also about waiting for the right moment to press the shutter. (y) Top job!
Thanks a lot Paul :)

There were a few attempts to get it dead on, thankfully the wind was minimal so the blades were not too fast :D

Round is on theme but lacking for me too... I think a few of us have suffered from lack of inspiration on the round front this week (me included)... and placeholder week is what it shall be known as from now on!
HA Haaaa that is PERFECT :LOL:

Hi DK I love those energy shots super composition getting in so close ...three is brilliant, you've caught the blades and their reflection perfectly, sky is spot on too ....really complements the shots.
Many thanks Susie :)

Round does lack a focal point and the white is a bit bright ....I would prefer it as a softer image ....but it is very round :)
Here... borrow my glasses :cool:

Lots of rounds yeah :)

Well... I attempted to capture Mrs DK on our Cross Trainer, getting some energy being spent... unfortunately the motion blur I wanted didn't work at all, so they have all been scraped :(

She does know that she has to move in order to get motion blur, doesn't she :exit:
Energy - Wind turbines - cannot choose between #2 and #3 . Like the light , pov and sky in #2 but #3 does have a weird abstract quality, mainly because of the light on the middle blade making it look stuck on, and as said by others, perfectly captured in time.

Round - looks fine to me. Agian, abstract with resricted colours and some nice round shapes - a shot that is all okey bokeh - :coat:

Last edited:
Now then matey , how goes things ?

Turbines.....fabulous, partic the last shot ( though being picky I'd have preferred a portrait crop :exit:), great POV, perfect alignment & cracking sky as well....:clap:

Attached ....yup they are :D......gotta admit to thinking it was a bike wheel to start with :rolleyes:

Round.....very seasonal , good bokeh there & quite partial to the colors :)

She does know that she has to move in order to get motion blur, doesn't she :exit:
LOL :D
Energy - Wind turbines - cannot choose between #2 and #3 . Like the light , pov and sky in #2 but #3 does have a weird abstract quality, mainly because of the light on the middle blade making it look stuck on, and as said by others, perfectly captured in time.
Cheers Alan :)

Round - looks fine to me. Agian, abstract with resricted colours and some nice round shapes - a shot that is all okey bokeh - :coat:
Ha Haaaaa thanks again :LOL:

Now then matey , how goes things ?
Oooo Busy Busy as usual thanks :)

Turbines.....fabulous, partic the last shot ( though being picky I'd have preferred a portrait crop :exit:), great POV, perfect alignment & cracking sky as well....:clap:
Ahhhhh good thinking... not too sure why I didn't, thinking maybe the blades were too wide to fit in :thinking:

Attached ....yup they are :D......gotta admit to thinking it was a bike wheel to start with :rolleyes:
Now how does that not surprise me :whistle:

Round.....very seasonal , good bokeh there & quite partial to the colors :)
Thanks again Lynne :)

And moving on...

Not floodied with ideas for this one, not the best at photoshop so thought of somthing odd, so not certain of it's nonsense, other than it's unusual/not normal... well not in this house anyway :D

Here we go with Mrs DK spring cleaning...

Wk 50 - Nonsense by TP DK, on Flickr

Well that's certainly not normal behaviour DK......................

......who on earth would vacumn the grass in heels! :D

Another good fun take on this weeks theme DK (y)

Well that's certainly not normal behaviour DK......................

......who on earth would vacumn the grass in heels! :D

Another good fun take on this weeks theme DK (y)
Thanks Phil :)

Not the best of idea's but going to be a busy week so needed it out of the way :)

I agree that's not normal at all but I like the fun take on the theme :)
Thanks Mandy... always thought of you as a garden hoovering type gal ;)

Back