weekly fadingisight's 52 for 2015

I wondered if it was a film shot when I saw it. I found getting colour right needed a bit of work. I wan't to say kodachrome? But it's a long while since I used slide film.

Michael you are bang on, it is Kodachrome. The scanning software doesn't seem to like it that much especially when it comes to dust and scratch removal. I had to do a bit of playing about with the sliders in Lightroom to get it to this stage. I quite like the look even though it is not a true representation. I will probably rescan this when I get a bit more used to the vagaries of the scanner and the software.

Went in to work a bit later (i.e. not in darkness) yesterday because of traffic chaos. This gave me a chance to nip into Trumpton and grab this shot of his MacLeod House hotel. This used to be the big house on the Menie Estate and it certainly is a nice spot.

Winter Morning [Week 3 - Scenic (Alternate)] by fadingisight, on Flickr

Love your shot of yesteryear. great how you've been able to scan it. @nd image is also good, some detail in the brickwork.

Hi Russell

Fragile ... love the POV and the clarity ... cute too.

Scenic ... got it all: FG, disappearing water, sunny peaks in front of more peaks. And the "old postcard" look.

Apologies for the delay in catching up with comments.

Love your shot of yesteryear. great how you've been able to scan it. @nd image is also good, some detail in the brickwork.

Thanks Mandy. I'm having lots of fun with the neg & slide scanner; rediscovering pictures I took years ago when my hair was a different colour!

Scenic - a lovely shot looks very nice there, a good find for the theme. Just a shame about the couple of parked cars on the left hand side of the image.

Thanks Mandy. Agree it is a pity about the cars on the left. Hotel employees I think and I just didn't have time to wait for them to go away. This was a real shoot and run job!

Hi Russell

Fragile ... love the POV and the clarity ... cute too.

Scenic ... got it all: FG, disappearing water, sunny peaks in front of more peaks. And the "old postcard" look.

Thanks David. Scenic - the scenery on that roadtrip was incredible. If I remember correctly we just came round a bend in the road and came across that view. Just had to find a place to pull over and take the shot.

A little bit lighter on the fish I think as the greenery seems to be more notable, but a good fit for the theme. I know that taking pictures of fish in a tank is quite difficult so well done for making the glass disappear.

A little bit lighter on the fish I think as the greenery seems to be more notable, but a good fit for the theme. I know that taking pictures of fish in a tank is quite difficult so well done for making the glass disappear.

Good point on the fish Martin, I have lifted the exposure a little in Lightroom in the edit below. I think this works better. Thank you.

Fishy Couple (Edit) [Week 4 - Companions] by fadingisight, on Flickr

Indeed it does, much more vibrant on the picture's focus.

Hi Russell,

Companions - Nice idea and well composed, the edit is a definite improvement :)

Hi Russell

Good job on the editing of the goldfish ,the slight lift of shadows makes them pop a bit more :)

Scenic.......like that , has a rather misty olde worlde but up-market look to it, the silver car looks quite posh as well which suits the house (y)

I keep seeing these two goldfish and have decided I like them very much ... against the green grass. Perfect for "companions".

Hiya Russell, I love scans of old photos - great drag through the memory banks, I'm sure. The image itself is interesting but personally I prefer your shot of the manor house. Maybe even more punchy with a golden hour sky behind it? As it is, I'd be inclined to trim a touch off the sky but with more colours in it, the composition would be just perfect.

Fishy shot for companions is good - only crit is I'd knock down the saturation on the green channel as on my monitor it's jumping out at me like a big green jumpy thing. ;)

Catching up with comments, apologies for the tardiness.

Hi Russell,

Companions - Nice idea and well composed, the edit is a definite improvement :)
Thanks Paul
Thanks Mandy

Hi Russell

Good job on the editing of the goldfish ,the slight lift of shadows makes them pop a bit more :)

Scenic.......like that , has a rather misty olde worlde but up-market look to it, the silver car looks quite posh as well which suits the house (y)
Thanks Lynne, it's Donald Trump's 5 star hotel so probably a bit too posh for me :(

Hi Russell, Scenic is just that. The cold mist/ sunlight adds to it. Not sure on the composition though, I think I'd like to see more foreground and less sky.

Thanks Marsha. I would have liked more foreground too but there was various bits and bobs along the verge that would have spoiled the shot and I didn't have time to change my viewpoint. It really was a grab on the run type capture.

I keep seeing these two goldfish and have decided I like them very much ... against the green grass. Perfect for "companions".

Thanks David. I'm glad you like my little friends.

Hiya Russell, I love scans of old photos - great drag through the memory banks, I'm sure. The image itself is interesting but personally I prefer your shot of the manor house. Maybe even more punchy with a golden hour sky behind it? As it is, I'd be inclined to trim a touch off the sky but with more colours in it, the composition would be just perfect.

Fishy shot for companions is good - only crit is I'd knock down the saturation on the green channel as on my monitor it's jumping out at me like a big green jumpy thing. ;)

Thanks Paul. I agree on the sky. I must return when there is a bit more interest overhead and see if I can improve on this version. I know what you mean in the fishy shot, I do have a tendency to overdo the "poppiness" of the colours some days, think its to do with my tired old eyes!

Hey Russell.... Really beautiful shot for elegant there. The mono works wonderfully for the theme

I have to agree with Ferg.
That's a very nicely processed Swan (y)

Probably one of the best if not the best picture of a swan from this week's theme.

I like the reflections in the water.
I agree too, mono works perfectly for this picture.

Hi Russell

really like your Swan....lovely dreamy effect ( pp ) , mono suits & looks pin sharp on the head :clap:

Only minor crit id I'd have liked a little more room to the lhs to give him/her a bit more room to glide in to & to take him/her slightly more off centre

hi Russell

I love your elegant shot, works really well in b&w.
companions is very well executed, the fish are in exactly the right place
I like your first scenic shot as the second one looks a bit dark to me
bliss I have to say has too much sun, maybe you could have angled towards the water a bit more
fragile is sooooo sweet, baby animals every time yay

Have to say out of all the swans i have viewed recently (and there have been many good ones) this is the one. elegant indeed looking at own reflection in the water and the effect is superb. I really really like it

Hey Russell.... Really beautiful shot for elegant there. The mono works wonderfully for the theme

Thanks Ferg, glad you like it.

I have to agree with Ferg.
That's a very nicely processed Swan (y)

Thanks Cobra. It's not often that my pp works so well ;)

Probably one of the best if not the best picture of a swan from this week's theme.

I like the reflections in the water.
I agree too, mono works perfectly for this picture.

Thanks for your kind words Fabien

Hi Russell

really like your Swan....lovely dreamy effect ( pp ) , mono suits & looks pin sharp on the head :clap:

Only minor crit id I'd have liked a little more room to the lhs to give him/her a bit more room to glide in to & to take him/her slightly more off centre

Thanks Lynne, appreciate your comments. May experiment with the crop on this one.

Watery, nice bright, almost hight key feel.

Some detail in the feathers has been lost, but I do like it.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. For this one I was willing to sacrifice a smidgeon of detail if it helped the overall feel.

hi Russell

I love your elegant shot, works really well in b&w.
companions is very well executed, the fish are in exactly the right place
I like your first scenic shot as the second one looks a bit dark to me
bliss I have to say has too much sun, maybe you could have angled towards the water a bit more
fragile is sooooo sweet, baby animals every time yay

Hi Summer, thanks for all your feedback. I'll try and feature some more baby animals should later challenges give me the opportunity. :)

Hi Russell,

excellent processing on the elegant shot. It really fits the nature of the theme well :)

Thanks Rob, glad you like it.

Elegant - lovely shot of the swan very elegant indeed.

Thanks Mandy, they are elegant creatures aren't they.

Have to say out of all the swans i have viewed recently (and there have been many good ones) this is the one. elegant indeed looking at own reflection in the water and the effect is superb. I really really like it

Thanks Mandy, I appreciate your positive comments. :D

Hi Russel, that's very elegant indeed, and the B&W works really well, classy stuff

Thanks Lorraine :)

I have run out of swan comments to we'll assume it has been said :)

Watery: Love it, subtle, misty and ethereal.

Like the high Key effect of Elegant, really makes it stand out against all the other swan pics (y)

Watery - I like a good abstract and that is a good abstract :)

Looking forward to seeing BOLD

Watery - I really like this. The close crop and narrow DoF gives me an impression that the water source is hugely powerful. Just the right amount of colour in the water too.

Hi Russell ... I like watery very much ... beautiful, dreamy. Don't know how you captured that but I hope you and camera didn't get too wet.

That's an impressive building! You've captured the sky nicely against it too Russell, makes the building stand out beautifully

yep bold, fits the theme. I would maybe have tried a different orientation, landscape, or a wider crop with less rocks. It's leaning to the left a bit. I've recently been experimenting with the 'shear' part of PP to bring buildings back to the upright, but tis difficult

Wonderful building and a sky to die for. The building does seem to be leaning to the left slightly. Maybe a slight light of the shadows??

@sturisoma what's the 'shear' part on PP??

Cheers.

Back