Fooly's 52 for 2010 - Week 5 - Speed (cop out)

Hi Simon,
I like the first of your 'chopped' images, there are some really nice textures and colours there.
I also like the way the eye is drawn between the logs into the darkness.
Fits the theme too. :)

Great shot! Love the colours you got on the first chopped one!! :)

Thanks very much Dave, PP is my friend this time :)

Hi Simon,
I like the first of your 'chopped' images, there are some really nice textures and colours there.
I also like the way the eye is drawn between the logs into the darkness.
Fits the theme too. :)

Cheers Steve, I personally thought it was a bit too dark between the logs, I had shot this as part of an HDR set, but I just cant get the hang of processing them into a nice rich picture afterwards, so ended up processing the middle of the three shots

Nice chopped pictures - I actually prefer the second one - there's some lovely detail in the foliage

Thanks Nick, I liked this one more than the original, but was over ruled by SWMBO :D

I also prefer the second. Good shot :)

Thanks very much Rich :)

I think I prefer the second one, it is that bit more subtle in the interpretation of the theme and stands as a good shot in it's own right.

Some beautiful colours and textures in #1

I found #2 a little busy but on coming back to it I find it does work. Rather well. A very sharp shot with plenty of detail, The DOF works well too, glad 'it's all there' and not OOF.

Love the desolate feel to the 2nd one.

Hi Simon,
Try not to be put off by what other people do for this challenge. It’s your 52 and if you have a shot that you’re happy with then don’t let the fact that there are similar ones in here distract you.
Chances are that for a theme like chopped there will be a lot of people doing similar things.

Having said that, I’m glad that you posted the second shot because I far prefer that this week (y). I’d quite like to see the focal point more clearly on the tree stump, but it’s still working well for me.
Lovely textures and soft, mossy colours and I love the lines of trees receding into the distance.

Simon, I prefer the first one, the textures, colours and patterns are very good and clearly chopped. As for others having done the same or something similar, don't worry about it. As Sarah said, this is your project and lets be honest about it, with this many people taking part, there's going to be a few with the same interpretation. That's also why I don't look till I've got my own shot ;)

I think I prefer the second one, it is that bit more subtle in the interpretation of the theme and stands as a good shot in it's own right.

First time someone has linked me and the word Subtle :D - thanks for the comments :)

Some beautiful colours and textures in #1

I found #2 a little busy but on coming back to it I find it does work. Rather well. A very sharp shot with plenty of detail, The DOF works well too, glad 'it's all there' and not OOF.

Thanks :) I tend to shoot most of my landscapes at f16 to try and keep as much in focus as I can

Hi Simon. I have about the same expierience as yourself so good luck. I like yor first image a realy good find and the crop is better for me. I prefered your last image for week 3.

Thanks very much, and good luck to you too :0 - I will get round to commenting on everyone elses at some point....

I like the 2nd image more....

Terran

Thanks Terran

Love the desolate feel to the 2nd one.

Hi Simon,
Try not to be put off by what other people do for this challenge. It’s your 52 and if you have a shot that you’re happy with then don’t let the fact that there are similar ones in here distract you.
Chances are that for a theme like chopped there will be a lot of people doing similar things.

Having said that, I’m glad that you posted the second shot because I far prefer that this week (y). I’d quite like to see the focal point more clearly on the tree stump, but it’s still working well for me.
Lovely textures and soft, mossy colours and I love the lines of trees receding into the distance.

Thanks Sarah, I do try to keep a few shots in the bag in case there are a lot of similar interpretations, just for my own sanity really. I did do another shot with the stump as the centre, but it didnt come out as well, that and I always get told I am in the 'plonk it in the centre of the frame' camp a lot of the time, so actually thought about lines in that one, and a but of thirds as well.....

Simon, I prefer the first one, the textures, colours and patterns are very good and clearly chopped. As for others having done the same or something similar, don't worry about it. As Sarah said, this is your project and lets be honest about it, with this many people taking part, there's going to be a few with the same interpretation. That's also why I don't look till I've got my own shot ;)

Thanks very much :)

Right then........

This weeks shot popped into my head as soon as I read the title. I've been meaning to do this shot for a while, but havent got up the guts to do it....

I bought the suction mount a while ago when I was doing a course with this exact shot in mind, but it didnt get delivered in time, so had to do something else, and its sat on my shelf ever since.

I did some test runs with the camera mounted inside the car, and have lots of other shots that make me look like I'm having a fit, but here is the one I have chosen as this weeks....

So join me for a drive through the streets of Dorset (poetic licence heavily in play :D )

Processing
Sharpened
White Balance corrected
Heavy use of the Heal tool to remove as many specs as possible....

Exif
ISO: 200
Exposure: 30 sec
Aperture: 16.0
Focal Length: 10mm
Flash Used: No

IMG_4520.jpg

Excellent - I really like this. A mate of mine has a suction mount, I'd always worry that it would drop off though! I should imagine it's pretty tricky to get a shot that you're happy with. I'd spend about £50 on fuel just thinking about it :eek:

Lotus Europa, by any chance? Recognise the Metro wing mirrors any day (I had 2 Elises before being sensible when the kids came along)

Well done - I really must try it one day!

Excellent - I really like this. A mate of mine has a suction mount, I'd always worry that it would drop off though! I should imagine it's pretty tricky to get a shot that you're happy with. I'd spend about £50 on fuel just thinking about it :eek:

Lotus Europa, by any chance? Recognise the Metro wing mirrors any day (I had 2 Elises before being sensible when the kids came along)

Well done - I really must try it one day!

Cheers Dave, and yes it is a Europa, upgraded a few months ago from a 180bhp S1 Elise :)

Love it! Could only be improved by having an Aston Martin. :D

Again? The case of missing posts?! Sorry I did comment the other day but TP was having some probs, my post dissappeared.

I like your shots so far, the second 'chopped' is better and different.
As for 'street' very cool, like this a lot! ;)

Excellent, really like this one.(y)

My missus' folks live in Verwood so, you never know, might bump into you.:)

I did some test runs with the camera mounted inside the car, and have lots of other shots that make me look like I'm having a fit

I think I would too if I had my camera mounted on the outside of the car. Not sure how I'd explain it to the insurance company!

Great shot. Well worth the risks and surprisingly sharp considering you were driving at the time. Does the suction thingy have some sort of gyromount in it?

Nice work!

Ian.

Love it! Could only be improved by having an Aston Martin. :D

Damn, I knew I should have taken the other car... :D

Again? The case of missing posts?! Sorry I did comment the other day but TP was having some probs, my post dissappeared.

I like your shots so far, the second 'chopped' is better and different.
As for 'street' very cool, like this a lot! ;)

Thanks very much :)

Is that the 241V ?

Yes it is, its an excellent bit of kit :)

Excellent, really like this one.(y)

My missus' folks live in Verwood so, you never know, might bump into you.:)

Cheers :)

I think I would too if I had my camera mounted on the outside of the car. Not sure how I'd explain it to the insurance company!

Great shot. Well worth the risks and surprisingly sharp considering you were driving at the time. Does the suction thingy have some sort of gyromount in it?

Nice work!

Ian.

Its the 241v Suction Mount, there is no Gyro in at at all, but it is very very sturdy and once attached to the car it doesnt move at all

Last edited:
I agree, very brave man. I'm rolling with an entry level 450D and i wouldn't DREAM of doing this. Maybe i'm not brave enough :p

Week 3 The simple ideas are never unique :D

Week 4 :clap::clap::clap: had a similar idea shot from the inside for a back up, having the suction cup and shooting from the outside gives the extra wow!

Great job Simon, you are a very brave man!(y)

My favourite so far on this weeks theme!

Cheers, Rob

interesting take on the subject
nicely executed! :clap:

Great idea that street shot, must've been scary though with your camera hanging off the side of the car - I have one of those mounts and doubt I would put it *outside* ... was well worth the risk in this case though.

Arthur

What an innovative take on the theme Simon and at the end of the shot it looks like lightning striking. Very cool :clap::clap:

25mph or not, I wouldn't want to trust suction to defeat gravity. Despite having a headache and this not helping, I really like it. Might look better from the side of a porsche, but I guess that was out of the question? ;)

Love your street shot, I keep meaning to try something like this but from inside the car...

I bet you're gutted that this weeks theme is speed :LOL: although you could always use the same method again?

Last edited:
wow, you're a brave man, strapping your camera the the side of your car!!

Nice photo!

Thanks very much

I agree, very brave man. I'm rolling with an entry level 450D and i wouldn't DREAM of doing this. Maybe i'm not brave enough :p

Nothing to do with bravery, just blind stupidity and faith in Manfrotto....

Week 3 The simple ideas are never unique :D

Week 4 had a similar idea shot from the inside for a back up, having the suction cup and shooting from the outside gives the extra wow!

Thank you

Superbly executed, love it (y)

Thank you

Great job Simon, you are a very brave man!

My favourite so far on this weeks theme!

Cheers, Rob

Thank you very much Rob

interesting take on the subject
nicely executed!

Thanks!

Great idea that street shot, must've been scary though with your camera hanging off the side of the car - I have one of those mounts and doubt I would put it *outside* ... was well worth the risk in this case though.

Arthur

As I said before, blind faith and stupidity, got a disapproving look from the missus when I showed her the shot and she figured out how I'd done it.....

Great shot. Well done

Thanks!

looks like something from "back to the future" !

:D

What an innovative take on the theme Simon and at the end of the shot it looks like lightning striking. Very cool

Thank you

25mph or not, I wouldn't want to trust suction to defeat gravity. Despite having a headache and this not helping, I really like it. Might look better from the side of a porsche, but I guess that was out of the question? ;)

Dont get me started on the Porsche vs Lotus debate :p

Stunning. Can't really say anything else.

Thanks Rob

Simply amazing Simon. I think this is my favourite street shot so far!
Very brave decision to mount it outside, but it's absolutely paid off . . . stunning !

Thank you very much Sarah

Love your street shot, I keep meaning to try something like this but from inside the car...

I bet you're gutted that this weeks theme is speed :LOL: although you could always use the same method again?

Cheers, and yes I was somewhat annoyed when it came out as Speed - I do have a pile of other shots taken from inside the car I can redo as a cop out, but want to try and do something else now....

Thank you all for your kind words on Week 4, I'm actually really really pleased with how it came out and might get my first actual print done from it :D

Back