weekly Jaycee' 52 for '22 .........Finished

Yes, a good subject for the theme, and nice colours. If I may: it looks like the lack of light forced you into a corner in terms of exposure, as the DoF being very narrow has caused the point of focus to be not quite where you probably wanted it. I've fallen into this trap all too often myself, and the answer is a tripod so that you can use a smaller aperture and slower shutter speed (ISO is an option and increasing this from 320 to maybe 800 would have helped, but not massively).
I hope you don't mind the critique - as I say, I'm guilty of this a lot myself so I'm kind of telling myself this too! The eagerness to take the shot gets in the way of doing my best.

Ticks the box for sure but as Lindsay says - more depth of field and faster shutter speed needed = more light.

You're posting from FlickR so it would be good to have more pixels!

As per Lindsay's comment, the focus appears to be on the word function whilst I suspect you really wanted it on X-Tech.
Of course, you may have intended the focus to be there in order to take a less obvious shot.

Thanks for the replies guys, critique welcome.

I did feel a bit of movement in the shot, I took it in between showers didn't want to get wet, the focus was supposed to be on the X-Tech.

Will have a look at my Flickr settings for larger pics.

Yep, I agree with all the above. The good thing is that it only gets better from here!

Thanks for the replies guys, critique welcome.

I did feel a bit of movement in the shot, I took it in between showers didn't want to get wet, the focus was supposed to be on the X-Tech.

Will have a look at my Flickr settings for larger pics.

With the cable being the "subject", I think I'd have tried to get that as the focal point, possibly trying to get the X-Tech on the same plane (had that occurred to me at the time!) As Lindsay said, a tripod would have helped you get a narrower aperture/greater DoF but would have slowed things down a lot.

That definitely looks new. In agreement with other comments regarding the focus.

I agree with with the cable being the "subject" and it should have been the focal point, I think I got drawn into taking a nice pic and forgot the rest

Good Start to the 52, as others have said the focus is not as it should be.

Nice subject. I agree with the DOF comments though.

Squeaky clean and all the better for the pop of red. The retaken shot was worth the effort :)

Thanks you, the original was f2.8, 1/60, iso 320 I don't as yet have a tripod so I utilised my food recycling bin to rest on and put the camera into fully manual mode, with these settings

f4.5, 1/30 iso 100 ........ and nine attempts :)

Certainly old. Shame you weren't a bit luckier with the lighting.

Yep - old ticked. Not the window frames though :)

Trust Dave to spot the windows. Ticks the theme with the date. Interesting shape to the building, what is it?

Thanks for the comments.

In the Crest/Shield you may be able to see the initials TAW, this stand for T.A. Walker he was one of the contractors that built Barry docks. He also built many of the houses around my area to house the work force and the area became known locally as "Walkersville" The grey stone was excavated from the docks and used for the more expensive buildings, whilst the red brick for the terraced houses. This is a shopping area, there are three buildings with these corner entrances which are now shops, , not sure what the original buildings were, possible offices.

I had to get in the shadow to take the pic as the sun was in the way :)

I think the frames are circa 2004:)

The PVC windows and office blinds really don't add to the shot.
I feel there is probably a better image in that shot waiting to get out.
Have you considered cropping in, perhaps just above the window opening to exclude the newer elements of the shot?

Thanks you, the original was f2.8, 1/60, iso 320 I don't as yet have a tripod so I utilised my food recycling bin to rest on and put the camera into fully manual mode, with these settings

f4.5, 1/30 iso 100 ........ and nine attempts :)
Gosh you did well with that set up! Thank heavens for recycle bins :ROFLMAO:

I like the central composition for 'old' and the pigeon creeping in at the edge.

Nice John. There's so much detail in some of these old buildings.
I'm guessing you're a Barry boy too?

I am @SimonH the pics are from High St

I'm not sure the crop helps for me. Perhaps the original image has more context.

I'm not sure the crop helps for me. Perhaps the original image has more context.

It also includes last weeks theme "new" windows ... :)

No idea what it is, but I can see coffee in it I think.

Pete
Aero press, I call it ground coffee in an instant great little coffee maker :)

Back