weekly Judi's 52 in 2014 week 33 and 34 added

HI Judi

apologies for being slack with comments lately.....

Action......2nd to last shot for me , sharp , good colors & definite action & nicely placed in the frame :clap:....liking the last one a swell for the same reasons but a little too central in the frame .Lower POV would be better but after reading your words I can see this wasn't really possible.

Nature....the edited shot as for me brighter looks better...amazing spot by you given how well camoflaged they are :clap:

Love the Natural blonde movement shot as well....really well focused , & a smiley face....works brilliantly :clap:

Mono.....The pooch blends a little too much in to the background for me & the mono pod whilst on theme is a little......un-interesting...sorry but you set the bar much higher with Nature & Action

Last edited:
I think your dog, Nesta, in sepia works really well Judi, good detail and dof (y)

I was going to convert my image this week to sepia, but could work out how to do it in E11
shakinghead.gif
:D

I think your dog, Nesta, in sepia works really well Judi, good detail and dof (y)
I was going to convert my image this week to sepia, but could work out how to do it in E11
shakinghead.gif
:D

Hi Phil.

Tthank you :)

Nesta is almost mono, Salt and Pepper Mini Schnauzer, so I thought it would be nice ti see her in a chocolatey colour :)

Enhance.. ajust colour...hue and saturation.. click the colorize box and you are there fiddle with the settings till you get what you want :)

Hi Phil.

Tthank you :)

Nesta is almost mono, Salt and Pepper Mini Schnauzer, so I thought it would be nice ti see her in a chocolatey colour :)

Enhance.. ajust colour...hue and saturation.. click the colorize box and you are there fiddle with the settings till you get what you want :)

Thanks Judi, I'll have a look :)

Phil, I couldn't get much lower, the jump is quite low, and Gem is only about 14" tall at her shoulder :)

Graham, I started to get a few when i tried focusing on the pole, she loves jumping and to be honest we don't normally let her jump as high as that but I couldn't get low enough :)

Adam, I had been trying to get her in focus for most of Tuesday and Wednesday about 200 pictures and not 1 fit to post! so getting very frustrated, I was on AL SERVO and in the end I upped my iso to 1600 ( which is very high for me, most of my life i've used film and 400 was grainy) then back button focused on the top pole, but the focus point didn't track was it because i used the back button focus and kept it pressed, altho' I got some half decent ones on Thursday I still feel that I'm not getting something quite right in the camera settings the camera is a 70D fairly new.

Thank you very much for your kind words Guys your help is much appreciated :):)
No it should have still tracked focus even with back button. The best way to test it would be to press the shutter button to focus on something, then with the shutter still half pressed recompose onto something else and see if the lens automatically adjusts. The only other thing would be you said you had more success when you raised your ISO so I wonder if the problem with the soft shots was the fact that the shutter speed was a bit too slow and once the ISO was raised it enabled a fast enough shutter speed for sharp shots? it could be that the focus was actually ok?

Monopod, well apart from shaking my head ;), I like it as an idea but feel you could have done more. Maybe a different persepctive?

Cheers.

Love your doggy pics judi, especially number 3 for action - caught perfectly!

Not really feeling either of these if I'm to be honest Judi, both sharp and well exposed, I like eye contact in dog shots.. but she seems to be looking to the left of you, and the monopod is just that.

Also thinking the backgrounds don't help, the carpet(?) blends into Nestas body a bit much, and the black behind the monopod is a bit flat(?).

Sorry.

Hi Judi, dog jumping shots are good could do with being a little tighter in the frame, obviously a small niggle, very strange having jumps in the garden :thinking:

Mono neither doing much the dog seems a little undefined against the BG and the monopod doesn't really work as it is, sorry

Hi Judi
Bit of a catch up.
Nature - fascinating camouflage, really hard to see them at first. Seems a bit soft to me around the edges, but I am on a very small screen abroad. The natural blonde with the movement is a good shot, well captured and with nice tones.
Action - all look on theme to me apart from #2 - all well caught and tell a story. Clever dog(y)
Mono - agree with others that there needs to be more separation between dog and b/g. Not keen on the sepia treatment, altho OK for theme. Monopod:rolleyes:

HI Judi
apologies for being slack with comments lately.....
Action......2nd to last shot for me , sharp , good colors & definite action & nicely placed in the frame :clap:....liking the last one a swell for the same reasons but a little too central in the frame .Lower POV would be better but after reading your words I can see this wasn't really possible.
Nature....the edited shot as for me brighter looks better...amazing spot by you given how well camoflaged they are :clap:
Love the Natural blonde movement shot as well....really well focused , & a smiley face....works brilliantly :clap:
Mono.....The pooch blends a little too much in to the background for me & the mono pod whilst on theme is a little......un-interesting...sorry but you set the bar much higher with Nature & Action

thanks Lynne :)
Gem loves her agility,
Nic really is a natural blonde, we had fun doing that,
Mono.. I know not very good either of them :(

No it should have still tracked focus even with back button. The best way to test it would be to press the shutter button to focus on something, then with the shutter still half pressed recompose onto something else and see if the lens automatically adjusts. The only other thing would be you said you had more success when you raised your ISO so I wonder if the problem with the soft shots was the fact that the shutter speed was a bit too slow and once the ISO was raised it enabled a fast enough shutter speed for sharp shots? it could be that the focus was actually ok?

Thanks Adam :)

I haven't checked the tracking yet but will get round to it soon :)
Monopod, well apart from shaking my head ;), I like it as an idea but feel you could have done more. Maybe a different persepctive?
Cheers.

Brain out of gear, i guess Andy :(

Love your doggy pics judi, especially number 3 for action - caught perfectly!
Thank you Elaine, she loves jumping :)

Not really feeling either of these if I'm to be honest Judi, both sharp and well exposed, I like eye contact in dog shots.. but she seems to be looking to the left of you, and the monopod is just that.
Also thinking the backgrounds don't help, the carpet(?) blends into Nestas body a bit much, and the black behind the monopod is a bit flat(?).
Sorry.

Thanks Graham :)

Sorry.

Thanks Allan :) why strange having the jumps in the garden? she loves doing it and we have to practice we have several jumps a see-saw ans a tunnel :)

Hi Judi
Bit of a catch up.
Nature - fascinating camouflage, really hard to see them at first. Seems a bit soft to me around the edges, but I am on a very small screen abroad. The natural blonde with the movement is a good shot, well captured and with nice tones.
Action - all look on theme to me apart from #2 - all well caught and tell a story. Clever dog(y)
Mono - agree with others that there needs to be more separation between dog and b/g. Not keen on the sepia treatment, altho OK for theme. Monopod:rolleyes:

Thanks Alan :)
the butterfly picture is one of favourites,
Gem really loves her agility always have the jumps out in the summer :)

Hi Judi....Just having my catch up...
Nature is really pretty...it took me a minute or two to spot the butterflies ....I saw a little feeler sticking up !
Action...well captured....looks like your little dog was having fun.
Mono...I do agree it would be better if she was face on a little more, but she still looks a real cutie :)

Hi Judi....Just having my catch up...
Nature is really pretty...it took me a minute or two to spot the butterflies ....I saw a little feeler sticking up !
Action...well captured....looks like your little dog was having fun.
Mono...I do agree it would be better if she was face on a little more, but she still looks a real cutie :)
Thank you susie :)

Action - I can't add to what's been mentioned already.
Mono - both images fit the theme, the mono pod works for me I like the simplicity off it.
Thank you Mandy :)
Hi Judi

Mono - Both on theme cant really add to the comments given again im afraid :(
Thanks Craig :)

Thanks for looking everyone :)

Hey Judi :)

Nature/Natural... well what can I say :D - Really like the butterfly that blends into the leaves, a bit too much green for me, but a good background that is well separated, Blonde good for the theme but no so sure on the bright background, not helping show the hair to it's best potential for me, the second one is Soooo much better background, and the model appears to be enjoying the moment too, which always helps :)

Action - A great little set, good fun shots with the dog skipping jumps :D I prefer the low down shots when the houses are out of the shot over the hedge, the shots with Black as well as red bars work better for me, but all have the action caught nicely (y)

Mono - Like the monopod idea but not inspiring in delivery, I get the mono colour with the black background but feel it needs something else, sorry not sure what... so the 'winking' doggy has the vote from me, minor crit, the background blends a tad, but looks a right little rascal :)

First does work well, with the OOF BG, and the contrasting colours, feels that the straight one should be vertical for me.

The twist of the ropes on the curtain tie backs is a good spot too, nice colours and shine / textures there.

Hi Judi, definitely the simplicity of the 1st, the second one the twist is a bit lost

Another vote for the first Judi, good colour contrast, detail in the stems (y)

Hi Judi

Twisted 1 for me but a short margin....good work on the DOF to nicely blur the bg but keeping detail in the wood :) Does seem to need a slight cw rotation though....

The curtain shot could almost be from a magazine ,well lit & like the colors :) pity the rope didn't leave the frame in the top left corner ......

Hi Judi

Twisted
#1 - on theme, simple, sharp and good b/g. Should be straight or more diag for me.
#2 - needs more separation from b/g I feel because detail is lost - also the horizontal line at rear cuts the shot in half
#3 - good spot - like the muted colours. Maybe just a bit tight on the crop, could do with the bottom of the rope(a tassle) showing?

Twisted - fits the theme I think I will go for the first image for it's simplicity.
thanks Mandy,:)

First does work well, with the OOF BG, and the contrasting colours, feels that the straight one should be vertical for me.
The twist of the ropes on the curtain tie backs is a good spot too, nice colours and shine / textures there.

thanks Graham, I didn't even notice that #1 was not vertical I will rectify the problem :)

Hi Judi, definitely the simplicity of the 1st, the second one the twist is a bit lost
Thank-you Allan :) #2 was really to show where #1 came from should have said .

Another vote for the first Judi, good colour contrast, detail in the stems (y)
Thank-you Phil :)

Yup. #1 for me. I'd prefer a different angle, maybe photographing up or down the vine.
Cheers.
Thanks Andy, it was the only angle i could get a very short piece of twist, one of my hobbies making fancy trees thats a bay tree one day will be big and straight, I hope :)

Hi Judi
Twisted 1 for me but a short margin....good work on the DOF to nicely blur the bg but keeping detail in the wood :) Does seem to need a slight cw rotation though....
The curtain shot could almost be from a magazine ,well lit & like the colors :) pity the rope didn't leave the frame in the top left corner ......

thanks Lynne, couldn't get much more in for 'stuff' in the way on the curtain shot :)

Hi Judi

Twisted
#1 - on theme, simple, sharp and good b/g. Should be straight or more diag for me.
#2 - needs more separation from b/g I feel because detail is lost - also the horizontal line at rear cuts the shot in half
#3 - good spot - like the muted colours. Maybe just a bit tight on the crop, could do with the bottom of the rope(a tassle) showing?

Thanks Alan, #1 was my 1st choice, #2 really to show where #1 came from :)

Hi Judi, well, its green :D I think you've done very well here, there's some good detail in the leaves, the difference in the leaf shapes and shades are easily distinguished. I like it (y)

Hi Judi...I couldn't get your link to work :( I really like this a lot ... as Phil says super detail, shades and shapes in there...a perfect choice for the theme as it all looks so fresh and new, so much nicer than another cowpat o_O...although it may have been interesting to see it !

Hi Judi, definitely green as stated above don't know what but i feel there is something missing :thinking:
You shouldn't worry about what other people have put in

that works better than you might have expected - very similar colour throughout, but the differnt shapes and textures and sizes of the leaves really work

along with the nice shadows among the leaves. :clap:

Hi Judi

Fresh - lie the monotone overall effect which highlights that altho most plants are green, there is such a variety in the tones. Like the sidelight and the distribution of the shapes - others have commented that something is missing and I just wonder whether it could be shot with the herbs in one of those thin wooden boxes from the greengrocers directly above so that eh wood kind of frames the herbs IYSWIM :thinking:

Lots of lovely fresh herbs - I can almost smell them :clap:

Back