klc_001's 52 for 2010 Part 1 - Weeks 10 & 11 - Chemistry (post 77) & Candid (post 79)

:LOL: ahhhh...yes.....the strawberry creams....my favourite!!

A fun interpretation of the theme Kristy. I think the DOF works, but the carpet I think is a little distracting, perhaps on black card ?

Ooooo - like the black card idea - dammit - why didn't I think of that before :bang:???

But then, that is the whole point of this project - it is a learning experience for me after all. :)

Week 5 - Speed

Apologies for the tardiness of posting my week 5 picture - been in Lapland for the past week! :LOL:

Because I'm slightly obsessed with TP and Facebook, was chuffed to realise that we had intermittant Wifi access in our chalet, so managed to find out what the week's theme was quite early on in the week. My biggest lesson this week was not to be quite so cocky! As soon as I realised the theme was 'Speed' I immediately thought, "Oh, this will be EASY! I've got skiing, sledging, sleigh rides.......piece of cake!". And how wrong I was! Firstly, Lapland is stunningly gorgoeus, it's too damn cold to have uncovered fingers out for long, and skiing gloves aren't the most practical when taking pictures (can't feel the shutter button for a start :LOL:), so waiting for my Hubbie to come down the slopes at speed and catching the moment were a no go for me! And it was my daughter's first outing on skis, so speed wasn't the factor for her! Secondly, the light was really flat most of the time, and daylight hours are very few, so most of my pictures were taken in snow storms, dusk, or darkness, which isn't the easiest for me! I guess I'm trying to apologise for a pretty poor entry this week - I love the shot because in my head I can hear the sound effect that went with the motion of Lucy flying down the hill, but I know that technically it's not the best!

However......here it is.....

I feel the need, the need for speed!!! Thats cool Kristy, when I look at the picture I feel like she's whizzing down so I guess you hit it on the theme front!!
Love the Quality St. too! Fab idea, nothing like something a bit different.
Can't wait till next week!

Hi kristy.
I've missed your 52 up until now

Week 1 Curves - I really like this image although I agree with uniquegardens that the darker egg could have looked good in the centre of the box, but it's a great image anyway.

Week 2 Poem - I like this image and to me it does connect quite well with the poem both with the scarcity of footprints and the line about snow.

Week 3 Chopped - I agree it could have looked better from directly overhead, but I still like it and it's just different enough from the rest while still being strongly relevant to the theme

Week 4 Street - another good idea for an image, I like the fact it's on carpet as that's where I can remember playing with toy cars and can imagine setting up a race track from anything. It could have been stronger with slightly more in focus though...

Week 5 Speed - I really like this shot, it perfectly captures the excitement and speed of sledging.

Very good so far, whatever you do don't give up on your 52, it's such a great learning experience, I'm already thinking of trying to retake some of my images with lessons learnt.

Kristy, I bet she loved that, and I can almost hear the sound effect. It's a pretty good pan at 1/30s given the bounciness of the slope, and unpredictable movements involved, and it has a real sense of WHHHheeeee!!!! about it :D

Kristy - just found your 52 - so many to look at!!!

I love your Street - it's, well what can I say - Quality! :LOL::LOL:

Speed - very well executed too - looks like a ton of fun!

Week 6 - Present

Whoops - been a bit busy since we got back from holiday, what with half term activities and all, and I totally forgot to post this!!! Have also totally forgotten to shoot something for week 7, so I guess I'm going to be playing 'catch-up' this week :LOL:

Anyway, here's my take on 'Present' - and what with the amount of children's parties that Lucy has been invited to over the past few months it had to be a pile of presents of course! (WHY did no-one warn me about that side-effect of her starting school???? My social life has gone out of the window not what I'm playing taxi to her social diary every weekend!!)

C&C welcome as always, and a huge 'THANK YOU' to those of you who have taken the time to look at my thread and comment so far !!

Week 7 - People

Taken on my little point and shoot, in the middle of the crowd at the Lady Gaga concert on Saturday night, so I know the quality isn't all there - but I hope you guys will see what I was aiming for????

Damn those pesky security people for not letting us take in DSLR's :bang:- I mean REALLY - what is the difference these days when everyone's uploading pictures and videos within hours of getting home??? (Sorry - rant over :LOL:)

So, here's my take on 'People' ......

I like the present shot... plenty of presents there, and good colours, nicely composed. As for the parent taxi... I know what you mean .... :D...

People works... as you say, shot on a P&S, but I see what you were aiming for. As for not being allows to use a DSLR... well obviously you must be a professional if you're using one of those right :LOL:...

Bright and colourful present shot. Someone got very lucky :)

Liking the people shot a lot. Really gets the atmosphere across. Not sure how you've cropped it, but I'd be tempted to go back and fit in all the words in the background if you have it. Very nice (y)

Thanks for the feedback both - really appreciate it! :)

I'm loving the people shot too, even if I do say so myself :LOL: - although also have to admit that this was quite a tight crop on a larger picture - the majority of which was a large mess of blown-out light (darn those light changes just as I press the shutter :bang:)! And I do have the full wording, but as the complete statement was 'What the F@*k have you done" I wasn't sure it was entirely suitable :D (especially as my 5 year old has just started reading phonetically - now there would've been a trip into see the teacher if she had repeated that :nuts:)

Week 8 - Mechanical

Abandoned bike - well, it used to be mechanical - not sure it would get very far now! :LOL:

C&C appreciated as always!

Hi Kristy,

First visit to the thread for me. And I have to say you have a good collection of shots here.

I particularly like "People". It's been a long time since I've been to a gig, and it's nice to see a shot that emulates the feel of being in the crowd.

Mechanical is a good interpretation of the theme, and the composition is nice. However there's a bit too much detail with all those twigs. Maybe a shorter Depfth of field might have helped?

Will keep an eye out for week 9!

Ian.

The composition of this works well and there's something about it I really like. The harsh sunlight has left the middle of the frame a bit flat though. B&W might help separate the subject from the background a bit more.

^ What they said. Such a shame to see something that would have once bought someone joy just left to rot like that.

Catch up time again, Kristy.

Present - Nice colours on this one.

People - terrific photo - a real sense of being there. I was going to say the same as Darren regarding the sign but as you have explained I think you took the right option and cropped it out. I really like the detail in the guys hair in the foreground and the halo effect on the person in the middle foreground. Excellent.

It could also work on another level too. My first impression before reading the text was that it was maybe a staged event, something from Close Encounters when they met the aliens at the spaceship.

Mechanical - Not grabbing me but I think that's more because it's a little flat - maybe 'beef' up the colour of the subject and let the browns remain in the background.

Hi Kristy,

Seem to be a few weeks behind with your thread sorry.

Present : I like it. Bright, colourful and perfect for the theme.
You need to watch your lighting though - some of the reflections and the white envelopes are a bit blown.

People : :clap: Really love this one. It isn't SLR quality as you know . . . but somehow that actually adds something to the shot for me. Not particularly constructive I know, but I just really like it (y)

Mechanical : Definitely on theme, I like the composition and the subject but it's lacking something for me - I can't quite put my finger on what it is.
One to have a play with in PP I think. Try oversaturated / desaturated and maybe have a tweak in curves too. I think there's something good there, just not sure how to best bring it out.

Kristy, I think I have to agree with the others on mechanical... I think it needs... maybe a belt of contrast to pop it a bit...

Thanks for all the responses Guys and Girls - I'll definately go away and have a play with the contrast - I think I was trying to go for a spooky muted discarded sort of thing (no, I don't really know what I mean either :LOL:) , but agree that it doesn't really 'pop' like I wanted it too! :)

Week 9 - Play

Couldn't resist this one of my daughter and her friends 'playing' with her electronic game - although she's the only one playing :LOL:

Last edited:
Hi Martin

Thanks - and I completely agree - have just replaced it with a new version - is this better?

Many thanks!
Kristy

Kristy, I didn't see the first one for Play, but that's lovely. They are playing, although possibly only one of them really playing ;)... good colours too

This is lovely Kristy and definitely one for you to keep for the album.

I'm sure this wasn't planned, but I love the use of colour in this one. Your daughter's blue dress is picked up in the headband of the girl on the right - then the pink of the game is picked up in the other girls' dresses.
It works to isolate your daughter as the only one playing, but link all the girls together at the same time if you see what I mean.

I'm not sure whether this shot does have a bit of a slant or if it's the way they're all leaning, but they do look like they're sliding to the left a bit. I'd be tempted to give it a slight rotation to the right just to make it appear a bit more level.

Hi Kristy, i just found a thread i havn't commented on yet. You have some nice shots on here, i especially like your people shot. Play is a great capture, i love the way they are all leaning into each other. Good choice for mechanical, i think you fell into the same problem as i did with my machine in the overgrowth as Darren says it would improve with a bit of separation from the background or maybe a lower angle. Keep up the good efforts, we are a one fifth of the way through now.

Hi Kristy. Sorry, I have managed to totally miss your thread so far! Your people and play shots are the stand out ones for me. The people shot almost reminds me of some sort of alien film with the crowd standing in awe of the beam of light coming down from the little green men!

Play is a super capture and would agree with Sarah about the slight rotation.

Cheers, Rob

Sorry I haven't commented on your thread for ages - it's hard to keep up. :)

Your street shot made me smile - it was a clever idea and well done for even getting it done when you were packing to go away.

Speed: you've painted a great word picture as well as the photographic evidence - definitely says Speed. :)

Present: I'm sure children go to more parties these days than they used to (although I'm probably just showing my age! :LOL:) but that shot looks very celebratory and fits the bill perfectly.

People: This is excellent - a different take on the usual 'view from the audience' and, even with your P&S you've caught the ecitement and atmosphere. Love it. :)

Mechanical: Good spot, and I'm with the posters who thinks it could do with a bit more contrast, but it still counts as Mechanical. :D

Play: Lovely - they're so absorbed in the action. :) I'd have been tempted to crop just a tiny slice off the left, but I till like it as it is. ;)

Jean

Hi Kristy - I didn't see your first Play shot but this is great. They are very caught up with what's going on. Would have made a great shot for this week as well.

Hi, first time commenting on your thread, you have had some good ideas. My favourites are..

Chopped...Loved the composition of this one with the way the apple is chopped.

Street...Nice combination with the quality streets and the childrens cars.

People...The B&W suits the shot and the grittyness of using a P&S gives it an edge.

(y)

Thanks once again for the feedback everyone - it's really appreciated and definately gives me some things to thing about, which is what this project is all about!!

:ty:

Love the play shot, I'd actually just re-enter it for candid as well!!!

:D:D:D

Week 10 - Chemistry

I'm playing catch-up again.......probably because I got SOOOOOO stuck with Chemistry. I had an idea in my head, but have been lacking in time and inspiration in the last couple of weeks :(, so hoping I get my mojo back soon.

Anyway, I was getting my haircut at the weekend, and was watching my Mom have some colour put on her hair when I suddenly thought - hmmmmmm, a 'chemical' reaction makes the hair change colour - TA DAHHHHHHHH !:D

That's a haircut? It looks like some form of torture!

Thank god I'm a grade 3 all over, nice and easy...

Week 11 - Candid

......I just want to state for the record that taking Candid photos is definately not my bag :LOL: ....... It's something that I'm really intruiged by, but just never have the guts to go for it, so it's definately one of those styles that I've yet to really attempt and is on my list of 'things to do'.

So, I'm afraid to say that this is the first week when I've broken one of my 'rules' - this photo wasn't taken during the week of the topic :(

I took this photo back in February, at Kittila airport in Lapland, while we were waiting for our flight back to the UK. I saw this chap having 40 winks and thought I would be brave enough to try capturing something (let's not mention that fortunately my daughter was playing just out of shot, and I was actually pretending to take photos of her :LOL:)

So - is it 'candid' ????

Candid all the way! Great shot...

But what puzzles me is the comfy chairs, in an airport!?! Why doesn't Gatwick have them it would make flying so much better

Back